Will the Internet END?

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By serbsta
Bell Canada and TELUS (formerly owned by Verizon) employees officially confirm that by 2012 ISP's all over the globe will reduce Internet access to a TV-like subscription model, only offering access to a small standard amount of commercial sites and require extra fees for every other site you visit. These 'other' sites would then lose all their exposure and eventually shut down, resulting in what could be seen as the end of the Internet.

Dylan Pattyn *, who is currently writing an article for Time Magazine on the issue, has official confirmation from sources within Bell Canada and is interviewing a marketing representative from TELUS who confirms the story and states that TELUS has already started blocking all websites that aren't in the subscription package for mobile Internet access.

They could not confirm whether it would happen in 2012 because both stated it may actually happen sooner (as early as 2010). Interviews with these sources, more confirmation from other sources and more in-depth information on the issue is set to be published in Time Magazine soon.

I dont know guys, but when i look at the image below, i honestly fear the future of the internet. =[

=[

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By BiggerBomb

I think you're an excellent troll.

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By serbsta

Lol, i wouldn't call it trolling, im just thinking about a possible future of the internet, your post sounds more like trolling to me.

Keano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Keano

The world will soon end, so who cares.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BiggerBomb
serbsta said:
"Lol, i wouldn't call it trolling, im just thinking about a possible future of the internet, your post sounds more like trolling to me."

No, I say that because you post the most ludicrous conspiracy theories on an almost daily basis. It's like you found the conspiracy theorist for dummies guide and you're randomly selecting ones to put up here. You can't honestly believe in most of this crap and that is why I'm calling it trolling. Excellent trolling, by the way, it's truly magnificent.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Jayge_

This one isn't too ludicrous, actually.

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ltcoljaxson
BiggerBomb said:
"serbsta said:
"Lol, i wouldn't call it trolling, im just thinking about a possible future of the internet, your post sounds more like trolling to me."

No, I say that because you post the most ludicrous conspiracy theories on an almost daily basis. It's like you found the conspiracy theorist for dummies guide and you're randomly selecting ones to put up here. You can't honestly believe in most of this crap and that is why I'm calling it trolling. Excellent trolling, by the way, it's truly magnificent."
I agree with more or less words...
serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By serbsta
BiggerBomb said:
"serbsta said:

No, I say that because you post the most ludicrous conspiracy theories on an almost daily basis. It's like you found the conspiracy theorist for dummies guide and you're randomly selecting ones to put up here. You can't honestly believe in most of this crap and that is why I'm calling it trolling. Excellent trolling, by the way, it's truly magnificent."
I dont see how its ludicrous to have a monitored and restricted internet. And the way you summed that up is nice but blatantly stupid as you obviously dont consider or try to understand other peoples interests unless they reflect your own.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By Dalai
Keano said:
"The world will soon end, so who cares.
"
Oddly enough, in 2012.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BiggerBomb
serbsta said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"serbsta said:

I dont see how its ludicrous to have a monitored and restricted internet. And the way you summed that up is nice but blatantly stupid as you obviously dont consider or try to understand other peoples interests unless they reflect your own."

I actually wasn't talking about this specifically, in fact I didn't even read it. I'm talking about your conspiracy theory topics in general. If you once or twice put up a topic about a theory that had some rhyme or reason to it, some logical equation that made it valid on any level of thought I would respect it and not call it trolling. I'm merely calling most of your zeitgeist crap as I see it. Crap.
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Hamz

This was covered on Gamespot awhile ago where a group of Europeans, i assume they were anyway, were talking about the exact same thing. However what they failed to comprehend or perhaps purposely ignored was the fact that ISP's make a shitload of money from the current way the internet is set up.

Turning their service into some subscription model where you essentially pay to access certain sites and then have to pay some more to access other sites not on a specific subscription models package would cause many people to just not use that ISP. And when you take into account that some ISP might just say "alright guys, we won't charge you extra to view certain sites, lets just stick to what we have had since forever" then everyone will likely flood to that ISP and not use a subscription based ISP, ever.

So when you think about it this sort of subscription "pay to view X amount or Y specific websites on the internet" model might seem like the future but its all just scare mongering by a bunch of fools because as i said there is one huge flaw in the plan. All it takes is for one ISP to go against the grain and not follow the same method that all the others are doing and they essentially win the market.

That and the fact someone might just be smart enough to say "ok lets just make a new internet?" and then what will those ISP's do? I mean they created the internet once so whats to say someone else doesn't create a similar or even better form of global communication like it in the future?

Honestly this sort of scare mongering is silly and people who fall for it need to really think on the subject of ISP's and how the market works at the moment. Because currently ISP's are pulling in fat sacks of cash and literally swimming in money, global credit crunch or not, they are making huge proft.

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By serbsta
BiggerBomb said:
"serbsta said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"serbsta said:

I dont see how its ludicrous to have a monitored and restricted internet. And the way you summed that up is nice but blatantly stupid as you obviously dont consider or try to understand other peoples interests unless they reflect your own."

I actually wasn't talking about this specifically, in fact I didn't even read it. I'm talking about your conspiracy theory topics in general. If you once or twice put up a topic about a theory that had some rhyme or reason to it, some logical equation that made it valid on any level of thought I would respect it and not call it trolling. I'm merely calling most of your zeitgeist crap as I see it. Crap."
Wow, you didnt even read my openinng post and youre coming here with those accusations? I can see the real troll here.

1) I sometimes post "conspiracy" related issues to discuss simply because im interested in them.

2) I dont need this kind of crap in every thread i want to have a discussion in.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BiggerBomb
serbsta said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"serbsta said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"serbsta said:

I actually wasn't talking about this specifically, in fact I didn't even read it. I'm talking about your conspiracy theory topics in general. If you once or twice put up a topic about a theory that had some rhyme or reason to it, some logical equation that made it valid on any level of thought I would respect it and not call it trolling. I'm merely calling most of your zeitgeist crap as I see it. Crap."
Wow, you didnt even read my openinng post and youre coming here with those accusations? I can see the real troll here.

1) I sometimes post "conspiracy" related issues to discuss simply because im interested in them.

2) I dont need this kind of crap in every thread i want to have a discussion in."

Sorry, I can't take you seriously after saying that.
serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By serbsta
BiggerBomb said:
"serbsta said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"serbsta said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"serbsta said:

2) I dont need this kind of crap in every thread i want to have a discussion in."

Sorry, I can't take you seriously after saying that."
Thats fine.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jayge_
Hamz said:
"This was covered on Gamespot awhile ago where a group of Europeans, i assume they were anyway, were talking about the exact same thing. However what they failed to comprehend or perhaps purposely ignored was the fact that ISP's make a shitload of money from the current way the internet is set up.

Turning their service into some subscription model where you essentially pay to access certain sites and then have to pay some more to access other sites not on a specific subscription models package would cause many people to just not use that ISP. And when you take into account that some ISP might just say "alright guys, we won't charge you extra to view certain sites, lets just stick to what we have had since forever" then everyone will likely flood to that ISP and not use a subscription based ISP, ever.

So when you think about it this sort of subscription "pay to view X amount or Y specific websites on the internet" model might seem like the future but its all just scare mongering by a bunch of fools because as i said there is one huge flaw in the plan. All it takes is for one ISP to go against the grain and not follow the same method that all the others are doing and they essentially win the market.

That and the fact someone might just be smart enough to say "ok lets just make a new internet?" and then what will those ISP's do? I mean they created the internet once so whats to say someone else doesn't create a similar or even better form of global communication like it in the future?

Honestly this sort of scare mongering is silly and people who fall for it need to really think on the subject of ISP's and how the market works at the moment. Because currently ISP's are pulling in fat sacks of cash and literally swimming in money, global credit crunch or not, they are making huge proft."
That might be true if it weren't for the fact that plans like the ones listed above are said to be in motion for most major ISPs around the globe, to be put in place in around 2012.
Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Shawn

Internet Censorship is actually being pushed by major phone companies who don't get paid for actually providing internet, just setting it up. With all that is going on in the economy, I don't see how things like this can't be passed because of its appeal as of how much money could come out of this. Worst case scenario if it really does get passed, we should be seeing a crap load of protests etc. Soon enough we'll see free lancer companies giving full access.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Hamz
Jayge said:
"That might be true if it weren't for the fact that plans like the ones listed above are said to be in motion for most major ISPs around the globe, to be put in place in around 2012."
Well i can only really express my point of view from a UK perspective, Bell Canada and TELL US i've never heard of so i can only assume its ISP related to their respective countries?

But here in the UK ISP's wouldn't go for this style of subscription based system purely because they make a large amount of profit from the current system. Having worked for an ISP before in their billing department i know what the actual in and out costs for that specific ISP who employed me were. And how much profit they were making from the prices they charged compared to how much it really cost them to provide a service. And honestly it was a little mind blowing, an average 8mb ADSL for Tiscali cost around £20 a month and it cost Tiscali around £3.89 to provide the service...everything else was pure profit for them.

And 2012 seems to be a date everything bad is mean't to happen, something i refuse to believe. They said the big "HALO" ring in Europe would kill us all, never did, they said the world would be driving hover cars by 2001 and it didn't happen. They said that by 2000 all technology would break or have problems due to that bug thing and it never did. As i said already i think its purely scare mongering, i don't doubt talks are in motion but to say every ISP in the world will be doing this is just off the chart in my opinion.

Perhaps a select few of them will in specific countries but i very much doubt it on a global scale.
BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BiggerBomb
Shawn said:
"Internet Censorship is actually being pushed by major phone companies who don't get paid for actually providing internet, just setting it up. With all that is going on in the economy, I don't see how things like this can't be passed because of its appeal as of how much money could come out of this. Worst case scenario if it really does get passed, we should be seeing a crap load of protests etc. Soon enough we'll see free lancer companies giving full access."

It wouldn't happen. The internet is immensly profitable as is and to require subscriptions would cause an exponential increase in illegal activities and a decrease in internet usage. The current system of companies advertising on the internet makes the real cash monies, nothing short of divine intervention could put more money in Microsoft and the clients' pockets.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jayge_
Hamz said:
"Jayge said:
"That might be true if it weren't for the fact that plans like the ones listed above are said to be in motion for most major ISPs around the globe, to be put in place in around 2012."
Well i can only really express my point of view from a UK perspective, Bell Canada and TELL US i've never heard of so i can only assume its ISP related to their respective countries?

But here in the UK ISP's wouldn't go for this style of subscription based system purely because they make a large amount of profit from the current system. Having worked for an ISP before in their billing department i know what the actual in and out costs for that specific ISP who employed me were. And how much profit they were making from the prices they charged compared to how much it really cost them to provide a service. And honestly it was a little mind blowing, an average 8mb ADSL for Tiscali cost around £20 a month and it cost Tiscali around £3.89 to provide the service...everything else was pure profit for them.

And 2012 seems to be a date everything bad is mean't to happen, something i refuse to believe. They said the big "HALO" ring in Europe would kill us all, never did, they said the world would be dirving hover cars by 2001 and it didn't happen. They said that by 2000 all technology would break or hax problems due to that bug thing and it never did. As i said already i think its purely scare mongering, i don't doubt talks are in motion but to say every ISP in the world will be doing this is just off the chart in my opinion.

Perhaps a select few of them will in specific countries but i very much doubt it on a global scale."
There is no need to provide a service. It's a simple issue of denying access to anything not in your "subscription" and charging money to override it. The potential for profit from that system, especially in a multi-tiered form with overtime charges almost like Dial-up used to be, is much greater then it is now, where people pay for blanket bandwidth and ISPs hope a large majority doesn't use much of it.
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By brukaoru

This would be very stupid and frustrating from a customer stand point. From a business perspective, it would be genius. It would really suck if it happened though. I'll assume the world will end before this happens. :P

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BiggerBomb
brukaoru said:
"This would be very stupid and frustrating from a customer stand point. From a business perspective, it would be genius. It would really suck if it happened though. I'll assume the world will end before this happens. :P"

No, it really wouldn't. It would be a financial nightmare.
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Emilio

Wasn't Verizon doing this in the UK?
And wasn't Comcast trying to cap bandwidth in Texas or something?

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23  Edited By Gunner

If metallica had their way.. yes it would end.

Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Clean

We won't be alive to see it

adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By adam_grif

Australian internet may as well be "ending" soon, because the federal government wants to apply an ISP level filter across all Australian ISPs.

Shit sucks.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Emilio
adam_grif said:
"Australian internet may as well be "ending" soon, because the federal government wants to apply an ISP level filter across all Australian ISPs.

Shit sucks."
That's why I need to become a billionaire so I can kick the shit out of Australian and New Zealand ISPs  so I can help my brothers and sisters with some quality internet. :(
Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Omega

I'd be curious what the porn site packages would look like.

Would you subscribe by fetish?

Or would it all be bundled in one hedonistic super pack?

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

adam_grif said:
"Australian internet may as well be "ending" soon, because the federal government wants to apply an ISP level filter across all Australian ISPs.

Shit sucks."

What the hell is wrong with the Australian government, man? Damn ban-happy.
Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx

If they do this shit, i ll be fucking pissd,

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By serbsta
adam_grif said:

Shit sucks."
I heard about that too, very lame indeed.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It'll never work. All it'll take is for one ISP to not do this, and everyone comes flooding to to that ISP, that ISP makes a tonne of money, and the other ISP's are forced to stop the subscription model, because otherwise they'll get no business. And one company will do that. I mean, why wouldn't they? They'll make a tonne of money off it, because for a short while they'll be the only ones offering propper internet access.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By atejas

lol censorship.
That's why I love a thrifty culture, a profit motive and plenty of small businesses!

HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By HazBazz

Will never happen, because it will only take one ISP to provide the old system, and everybody will flock to that. No ISP in their right mind would go ahead with this.

HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HazBazz

Matty, we had this argument on the GSUK boards ages ago didnt we?

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheJollyRajah

Actually no, no ISP would have access to the old internet since it's controlled by the government, and if the government shuts it down, guess what? It's gone forever.

Then, internet 2 will be the only online network available and it's quite possible that all of our favorite websties (like Giant Bomb) would cease to exist.

And if you don't believe me, the US government actually invented the internet as early as the late 1960's, and it was used primarily as a secret government network for emails and such. This isn't a theory, it is recorded fact.
Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Kazona
TheJollyRajah said:
"Actually no, no ISP would have access to the old internet since it's controlled by the government, and if the government shuts it down, guess what? It's gone forever.
Then, internet 2 will be the only online network available and it's quite possible that all of our favorite websties (like Giant Bomb) would cease to exist.

And if you don't believe me, the US government actually invented the internet as early as the late 1960's, and it was used primarily as a secret government network for emails and such. This isn't a theory, it is recorded fact.
"
The goverment may have invented the internet, but they really don't control any of it anymore. If they did, there wouldn't be so many pedophiles and sick perverts on the internet.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ryanwho

I have to think people will simply go over to the ISP that chooses to forego these practices. Free market and such.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By crunchUK

oh shit that broadband advert is HORRENDOUS. convinced me..  hopefully there will be leet hax0rz to save the day

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
HazBazz said:
"Matty, we had this argument on the GSUK boards ages ago didnt we?"
Yep, I believe we did.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40  Edited By Willy105

That's terrible.

CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#41  Edited By CharleyTony

so all the internet will bcome cheap mobile internet ?
this is BS, the type of service you bring up would be unacceptable and almost nobody would pay for it. That fact alone will ensure this will never happen.

It makes me think about when I used America Online back in 95...

You connect, you get the AOL portal with all their crap,,,and you have to jump through a couple of hoops in order to actually use the real internet, which I guess a lot of other users might have never figured out ...

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By serbsta
ryanwho said:
"I have to think people will simply go over to the ISP that chooses to forego these practices. Free market and such."
That wouldnt be possible if it becomes against the law to provide an unfiltered service.
Shadow2K6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Shadow2K6

Sounds extremely stupid.  Basically you can't access any minor site.  They should just stick to charging by speeds.

Muze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Muze

The internet will never end. People will blog about the end of the world, all like "LOL WORLD'S ENDING". Then Chris Crocker will make a video all like "LEAVE THE NUCLEAR HOLYCAUST ALONE! IT'S NOT ITS FAULT THAT ITS DEADLY!"

(Yeah I know that doesn't make too much sense)

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By serbsta
Shadow2K6 said:
"Sounds extremely stupid.  Basically you can't access any minor site.  They should just stick to charging by speeds."
In Australia we get charged for usage/speed, believe it.
Yourfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Yourfriend

look someone wrote gullible on the picture. ;)

Jordan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jordan23

The internet is forever or mankind will not be able to survive. The world without computers won't be able to function properly, therefore, I couldn't imagine life without technology.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BiggerBomb
serbsta said:
"Shadow2K6 said:
"Sounds extremely stupid.  Basically you can't access any minor site.  They should just stick to charging by speeds."
In Australia we get charged for usage/speed, believe it."

Australian government =/= European and North American governments.
RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By RetroIce4

I will lose my god damn mind if they did that! It better not happen.