Are the mods being too harsh, or are they being awesome?

• 183 results
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

Edited By natetodamax

On MB's sticky topic: I gotta say, I've never seen a mod on any website come out and call the mean guys on this site dicks and douchebags. It seems as if insulting any user now would quickly get you in trouble, but it IS the internet. Now, I'm not sure if the mods are being too harsh with these new rules, or if they are just being awesome by blatantly calling those select few some angry words which you normally wouldn't see on a website like this. I for one don't want Giant Bomb to turn into another Gamespot or GameFAQs. We do have our right to say what we want, but the First Amendment is a crappy arguement to make, so I won't go into that. Anyway, I just wanted to see what you guys think about the new sticky, and if it's right or not.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By natetodamax

On MB's sticky topic: I gotta say, I've never seen a mod on any website come out and call the mean guys on this site dicks and douchebags. It seems as if insulting any user now would quickly get you in trouble, but it IS the internet. Now, I'm not sure if the mods are being too harsh with these new rules, or if they are just being awesome by blatantly calling those select few some angry words which you normally wouldn't see on a website like this. I for one don't want Giant Bomb to turn into another Gamespot or GameFAQs. We do have our right to say what we want, but the First Amendment is a crappy arguement to make, so I won't go into that. Anyway, I just wanted to see what you guys think about the new sticky, and if it's right or not.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2  Edited By BoG

For the sake of argument: Are we moderators breaking the golden rule of "don't be a dick" by being so blunt?

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By JoelTGM

I think it's great. 

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Coltonio7
DOUBLESHOCK said:
"I think it's great.  "
I think you're great ;)
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By natetodamax
DOUBLESHOCK said:
"I think it's great.  "
That's what I'm leaning towards, but it seems as if there is a much smaller number things we can say on GB now.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By crunchUK

basically, i implied the exact same thing that the stick does weeks ago and it got locked for being flame bait

prinny_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By prinny_god
BoG said:
"For the sake of argument: Are we moderators breaking the golden rule of "don't be a dick" by being so blunt?"
*hugs with prinny flippers* 
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JoelTGM
BoG said:
"For the sake of argument: Are we moderators breaking the golden rule of "don't be a dick" by being so blunt?"
No, that post didn't insult anyone.  All it's saying is, don't be an asshole. 
Avatar image for parrapatehrappa
ParrapatehRappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ParrapatehRappa

It's stupid.

I came here from GameFAQS so I could be a blatant ass to anyone who deserved it. As long as I don't get banned for a month like I did on  GameFAQS for telling some idiot to use his head, I suppose I may be able to get used to it.

But then again. Being an ass to people is soooo fun. Especially they have it coming. Like you said though, it's the internet. It's not like any of us are going to meet up one day and say "Hey, you remember that one time on GB when you called me a piece of shit? Well, that really hurt!"

People being asses to eachother on the site aren't bad. It's people who are too uptight and close minded to just let it happen which are making it bad. If two or more people get into a disagreement and start throwing the insults at one another, it's not like it'll go on for days and days and completeley ruin the site. It's more entertaining if anything to see two people going at it over their keyboards.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By turbomonkey138

the mods are being mods ... gods amoung men

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By natetodamax
ParrapatehRappa said:
"It's stupid.I came here from GameFAQS so I could be a blatant ass to anyone who deserved it. As long as I don't get banned for a month like I did on  GameFAQS for telling some idiot to use his head, I suppose I may be able to get used to it.But then again. Being an ass to people is soooo fun. Especially they have it coming. Like you said though, it's the internet. It's not like any of us are going to meet up one day and say "Hey, you remember that one time on GB when you called me a piece of shit? Well, that really hurt!"People being asses to eachother on the site aren't bad. It's people who are too uptight and close minded to just let it happen which are making it bad. If two or more people get into a disagreement and start throwing the insults at one another, it's not like it'll go on for days and days and completeley ruin the site. It's more entertaining if anything to see two people going at it over their keyboards."
Yeah, the GameFAQs mods need to make their ass cheeks loose and let the sticks drop out.
Avatar image for parrapatehrappa
ParrapatehRappa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ParrapatehRappa

But then again, it's more a reminder than it is a threat. I can see why the MB made the post. Hopefully Person A will think about that sticky he made and think twice about the remark insinuating person B's mother is a whore.

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By azteris
BoG said:
I think this deserves a lot more thought than people seem to give it.

Most people who are dicks on GiantBomb are dicks to other people that are just as rude, if not more so. So is it okay for the mods to be dicks to people that are dicks to others?
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By natetodamax
Azteris said:
"BoG said:
I think this deserves a lot more thought than people seem to give it. Most people who are dicks on GiantBomb are dicks to other people that are just as rude, if not more so. So is it okay for the mods to be dicks to people that are dicks to others? "
I guess if they are involved in whatever's going on, then yes. However, it's a bit rude in my opinion for somebody to but into a conversation and just start bashing people.
GDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GDog

I love democracy in my social and political life. However, the more policing you can have on a web-o-tube forum the better.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By natetodamax

Also, for any mods reading this, I have another question: How far would things have to get out of hand for warnings to be given out?

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Optiow

I think it is all good.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By jakob187
ParrapatehRappa said:
"It's stupid.I came here from GameFAQS so I could be a blatant ass to anyone who deserved it. As long as I don't get banned for a month like I did on  GameFAQS for telling some idiot to use his head, I suppose I may be able to get used to it.But then again. Being an ass to people is soooo fun. Especially they have it coming. Like you said though, it's the internet. It's not like any of us are going to meet up one day and say "Hey, you remember that one time on GB when you called me a piece of shit? Well, that really hurt!"People being asses to eachother on the site aren't bad. It's people who are too uptight and close minded to just let it happen which are making it bad. If two or more people get into a disagreement and start throwing the insults at one another, it's not like it'll go on for days and days and completeley ruin the site. It's more entertaining if anything to see two people going at it over their keyboards."
So...basically you are saying "hey, everyone act like jerks"?

Look, I'm a jerk, and an asshole...and I've never really refrained from that.  However, I know where the line is...at least as far as I can tell.  However, some of the ways that newer users have been acting on the forums, as well as some of the older forum users...well, it's even pissed me off once in a while.  Newer users,  I understand...they aren't used to the etiquette yet...but older users know better.

For instance, SmugDarkLoser - the minute he posts a thread, it's neg-bombed.  Why?  Because it's him.  Granted, he writes a FUCKTON of "Halo 3 is teh greatest evar" threads...but even when he said in a blog "hey, I'ma be out for a while, got priorities to take care of"...everyone STILL treated him like an ass...and that was uncalled for.

So are the mods out of line?  Nope.  They are simply trying to keep Giant Bomb's forums from becoming a pure hellhole.

To answer your question, BoG:  sometimes you have to be a dick in order to make the dicks quit being dicks.
GDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GDog

Lowtax from Something Awful said that his forums were a mess before they started charging a fee. That helps keep the assholes out. Tight policing of an open forum might be the only way you can keep control.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By natetodamax
jakob187 said:
"ParrapatehRappa said:
So...basically you are saying "hey, everyone act like jerks"?

Look, I'm a jerk, and an asshole...and I've never really refrained from that.  However, I know where the line is...at least as far as I can tell.  However, some of the ways that newer users have been acting on the forums, as well as some of the older forum users...well, it's even pissed me off once in a while.  Newer users,  I understand...they aren't used to the etiquette yet...but older users know better.

For instance, SmugDarkLoser - the minute he posts a thread, it's neg-bombed.  Why?  Because it's him.  Granted, he writes a FUCKTON of "Halo 3 is teh greatest evar" threads...but even when he said in a blog "hey, I'ma be out for a while, got priorities to take care of"...everyone STILL treated him like an ass...and that was uncalled for.

So are the mods out of line?  Nope.  They are simply trying to keep Giant Bomb's forums from becoming a pure hellhole.

To answer your question, BoG:  sometimes you have to be a dick in order to make the dicks quit being dicks.
"
That actually makes sense. I used to -1 Smug's posts for the hell of it, but recently there's been a massive streak of asshead users who've made be gain a lot of respect for Smug.
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By MetalGearSunny

If this a "relaxed" forum, I rather not have "WE'RE CRACKING DOWN ON DOUCHEBAGS" the first thing I see on the forums. I know the points, I understand what they are doing, but can MB please make the title cleaner?

EDIT- If you think this is bad, check out the IRC.

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By azteris
jakob187 said:

"
I personally have a problem with that. What makes you any better?

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BoG
Azteris said:
"jakob187 said:

"
I personally have a problem with that. What makes you any better?"
Just to clarify, I didn't say that, nor do I really believe that.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By natetodamax
Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
""
Post fail.
ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ltcoljaxson

Considering we can say the word 'fuck' without getting banned for 2 weeks, they are great mods.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By natetodamax
LtColJaxson said:
"Considering we can say the word 'fuck' without getting banned for 2 weeks, they are great mods."
Yeah, but if it's directed towards someone....
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MetalGearSunny
natetodamax said:
"Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
""
Post fail."
While we're on the topic of D-bags....
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By natetodamax
Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
"natetodamax said:
"Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
""
Post fail."
While we're on the topic of D-bags...."
I was just joking man. It happens to everyone.
azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By azteris
BoG said:
"Azteris said:
"jakob187 said:

"
I personally have a problem with that. What makes you any better?"
Just to clarify, I didn't say that, nor do I really believe that.
"
Oh no, I know. I think your post earlier brought a great point. I'm just debating his logic in saying it's perfectly okay.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#30  Edited By Tireyo

I just love the drama and debating going on. :D I might as well get me some popcorn and watch it continue!  Hope the problem is solved in an intellegant way though. 

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JJOR64

I think the moderators are doing what they should do.  Lock up threads that need to be locked and ban all the mo fo's (sorry for being gangster) that are dicks.

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By azteris
GDog said:
"Lowtax from Something Awful said that his forums were a mess before they started charging a fee. That helps keep the assholes out. Tight policing of an open forum might be the only way you can keep control."
I feel like anytime you police a forum (any type of forum for discussion, not just GiantBomb), it's no longer really a forum for discussion. It's just a place for whatever the people in charge like to be posted.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By natetodamax
Azteris said:
"GDog said:
"Lowtax from Something Awful said that his forums were a mess before they started charging a fee. That helps keep the assholes out. Tight policing of an open forum might be the only way you can keep control."
I feel like anytime you police a forum (any type of forum for discussion, not just GiantBomb), it's no longer really a forum for discussion. It's just a place for whatever the people in charge like to be posted."
You hit the nail on the head.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By toowalrus

There have definitely been some unnecessary thread locking about the dumbest things, though.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Hamz

If you see the issues and points made in MB's topic as threatening then perhaps you need to think over the way you behave on the site and the way you conduct yourself here. We're a relaxed bunch of Mods who try our best to keep a balance between being involved with the community and taking part in activities with them, while also carrying out the job we were picked to do as best we can.

GiantBomb is a relaxed website with a slightly more mature tone to it compared to other similar websites. There isn't a profanity filter on the forums not because we want to be cool and be able to advertise we allow people to swear. But rather because we think that people can be mature enough to know when to swear and how to handle it when someone does. For the most part it seems a huge majority of the community has nothing to worry about, you're all fine upstanding members and we have no issue with you. But like all places on the internet there are those few people who want to ruin it for others, either on purpose or because they lack self restraint when posting.

To those people in the latter category we will conduct ourselves as professionally as possible, and as fair as possible when dealing with you. But rest assured if you act like a dick then you will be moderated accordingly. And if you continue to go against the ethos we have here then eventually you will just have your right to access the content and participate in the community removed from you.

Like MB said in his topic, we try our best to have a hands off approach around here. So when we do have to get involved and step in to deal with issues that means someone has crossed a line too far or too often that its becoming an issue for us all. And again most of you have little to worry about in this regard.

However what I would love to emphasise here is self restraint on everyone's behalf. If someone is clearly trolling you, clearly insulting you on a scale you feel requires our attention then please DO CONTACT A MOD! because resorting to trolling them back will likely bring you to our attention as well. And I think everyone can agree here that bitching over the internet is like pissing against the wind, seems cool at the time but it just sprays back in your face. So be cool to one another, use common sense and don't hesitate to contact a Forum Moderator in regards to your specific problems.

Obligatory "Don't feed the troll!"

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#36  Edited By strangeling

The only thing that really bothers me is when people don't respect other people.

For example, (can't remember the users involved, or the topic right now, but...) Dude 1 was stating his opinion and throwing in a couple nasty insults at Dude 2.  Dude 2 would respond civilly on the subject.  Dude 1 replies and throws in a couple nasty insults.  Dude 2: civil response.  Dude 1: response + insults.  Dude 2 finally asks what's up with the insulting.  Dude 1 says something about liking "a good back and forth" and guess Dude 2 can't handle that.

I'm all for mods knocking around people who can't respect others.  I say bash the subject/thread/topic as much as you please (and not stating your opinion in the form of a fact), but don't misdirect that at the users.
Say: "[Game Title] is stupid."
Don't Say: "You like [Game Title]?!? You're stupid!!!"
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By natetodamax
Hamz said:
"If you see the issues and points made in MB's topic as threatening then perhaps you need to think over the way you behave on the site and the way you conduct yourself here. We're a relaxed bunch of Mods who try our best to keep a balance between being involved with the community and taking part in activities with them, while also carrying out the job we were picked to do as best we can. GiantBomb is a relaxed website with a slightly more mature tone to it compared to other similar websites. There isn't a profanity filter on the forums not because we want to be cool and be able to advertise we allow people to swear. But rather because we think that people can be mature enough to know when to swear and how to handle it when someone does. For the most part it seems a huge majority of the community has nothing to worry about, you're all fine upstanding members and we have no issue with you. But like all places on the internet there are those few people who want to ruin it for others, either on purpose or because they lack self restraint when posting. To those people in the latter category we will conduct ourselves as professionally as possible, and as fair as possible when dealing with you. But rest assured if you act like a dick then you will be moderated accordingly. And if you continue to go against the ethos we have here then eventually you will just have your right to access the content and participate in the community removed from you. Like MB said in his topic, we try our best to have a hands off approach around here. So when we do have to get involved and step in to deal with issues that means someone has crossed a line too far or too often that its becoming an issue for us all. And again most of you have little to worry about in this regard. However what I would love to emphasise here is self restraint on everyone's behalf. If someone is clearly trolling you, clearly insulting you on a scale you feel requires our attention then please DO CONTACT A MOD! because resorting to trolling them back will likely bring you to our attention as well. And I think everyone can agree here that bitching over the internet is like pissing against the wind, seems cool at the time but it just sprays back in your face. So be cool to one another, use common sense and don't hesitate to contact a Forum Moderator in regards to your specific problems. Obligatory "Don't feed the troll!""
I believe that comment was worthy enough to end this topic. Lock it please!
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#38  Edited By Claude

I don't have a problem with what MB did. I also liked SmugDarkLoser, and I would always give him a +1. I found him entertaining and some of his posts were pretty good. I always felt comfortable kidding with him and he didn't seem to care.

This post  http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic/31/crazy-nightmares-and-unable-to-move-when-i-wake-up/116458/#27 was resurrected from the dead and the guy who did it seemed to have something to say... no problem, but it was an old Levio post and everyone jumped his case. I didn't say anything, but I thought everyone was being a dick to this guy. I don't mind old forum posts being brought back to life and if you don't search for one, someone will bring it to your attention. It usually comes down to common since while having fun.  

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#39  Edited By Geno

As long as they don't wrongly ban anyone, I can't see anything wrong with it.

Avatar image for auspiciousqueue
auspiciousqueue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By auspiciousqueue

Is it too harsh when it is true?

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By jakob187
Hamz said:
"If you see the issues and points made in MB's topic as threatening then perhaps you need to think over the way you behave on the site and the way you conduct yourself here.""
Hit nail on head.

auspiciousqueue said:
"Is it too harsh when it is true?"
Bingo.

As for my "sometimes you have to be a dick to keep the dicks from being dicks"...all I meant was that people are going to view whoever says something that brings up the issue and says "look, here's how shit's gonna work" as a dick.  We all saw our parents that way when they got the belt/switch/paddle/shoe/fists out.  Disciplinary action will always be perceived by someone as "being a dick".

There was no offense meant by it.  Strictly saying that sometimes, you gotta be that guy.  MB, lucky enough for us, is good at being the guy that says "straighten the fuck up".  = D

Besides, if we don't, he'll probably beat our fucking asses with Gouken.  That's more corporal punishment than I've felt in a LONG time.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#42  Edited By oldschool
MB said:

I think everyone can agree that Giant Bomb has one of the most relaxed gaming forums on all of the internet.  We have really tried to maintain a hands-off approach to moderation here, and for the most part it's been a great success.  However, lately it seems like there has been a lot more people being real douchebags to their fellow users.  In short, this simply will not stand.

Most of the rules on Giant Bomb are pretty much common sense.  Don't post porn, don't give links to warez, stuff like that.  Unfortunately it seems like many of you have forgotten the golden rule of GB - don't be a dick to each other.  Argue all you want, have disagreements, but don't be a douchebag.  That means no namecalling, no flaming,
no posting in a thread with the intent to disrupt it or with malicious intent towards the creator, stuff like that.  

Let this serve as notice to all of the dicks and assholes of Giant Bomb - your behavior is not going to be tolerated any longer.  You will receive one warning and that is all.  The next step is going to be a week suspension, and then after that, it's a ban.  I don't want the vast majority of the Giant Bomb community to be worried about this at all - if you're like 99% of other users, you have nothing to worry about.  Things won't change for you, other than you will gradually see fewer dicks on the forums.

I would like to focus on the bold section.

This is where most of the problems tend to occur and if I were to strongly recommend anything to moderators, then this would be the one.  If you don't have any interest in the subject of the thread, why would you bother going in there?  No surprise that any thread about the Wii tends to be to place it is most likely to occur.  There can be no other reason than to stir up trouble.  I don't own a PS3, but you don't see me entering every topic to post crap that annoys others.

If moderators were to come down hard on members who clearly enter a thread with no other interest than to get a rise out of the other posters and obviously derail it, then it would be a much happier forum.  We all know who the usual suspects on this are, so naming them is not necessary.  Please police this in the strongest way possible.
Dewmocracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Dewmocracy

Did you see the awesome thread that just got locked!? There was great discussion value there!! lol

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By natetodamax
Dewmocracy said:
"Did you see the awesome thread that just got locked!? There was great discussion value there!! lol"
I just looked at that not 5 seconds ago.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By mike
oldschool said:
If moderators were to come down hard on members who clearly enter a thread with no other interest than to get a rise out of the other posters and obviously derail it, then it would be a much happier forum.  We all know who the usual suspects on this are, so naming them is not necessary.  Please police this in the strongest way possible."

You're right, and I will be the first to admit that we haven't been doing a good enough job in that department.  It's tricky to find the right balance.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#46  Edited By oldschool
MB said:
"oldschool said:
If moderators were to come down hard on members who clearly enter a thread with no other interest than to get a rise out of the other posters and obviously derail it, then it would be a much happier forum.  We all know who the usual suspects on this are, so naming them is not necessary.  Please police this in the strongest way possible."
You're right, and I will be the first to admit that we haven't been doing a good enough job in that department.  It's tricky to find the right balance."
.....and I'll be the first to admit that the line is a bit fuzzy as well.  It is very easy to over moderate, so I undertand why you don't want to end up with premature moderation :P
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Milkman

Rules aside here, I think we can all admit that some people on this forum really do deserve it. I'm not going to name any names*coughjaygecough*but I'm just saying. When people transfer such stupidity to my computer screen, I can't be held accountable for my actions. 

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By mike
oldschool said:
...so I undertand why you don't want to end up with premature moderation :P"
Man that only happened one time and you always throw it in my face :(
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By natetodamax
Milkman said:
"Rules aside here, I think we can all admit that some people on this forum really do deserve it. I'm not going to name any names*coughjaygecough*but I'm just saying. When people transfer such stupidity to my computer screen, I can't be held accountable for my actions. "
What has jayge done? Only people I've seen that are idiots (or at least are acting like ones) are *coughcrunchcough* and *coughwaycough*
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Milkman
natetodamax said:
"Milkman said:
"Rules aside here, I think we can all admit that some people on this forum really do deserve it. I'm not going to name any names*coughjaygecough*but I'm just saying. When people transfer such stupidity to my computer screen, I can't be held accountable for my actions. "
What has jayge done? Only people I've seen that are idiots (or at least are acting like ones) are *coughcrunchcough* and *coughwaycough*"
Well, considering the new rules...I'll just leave it at me and Jayge don't exactly see eye to eye most of the time.