Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Gears of War 2

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 07, 2008

Join Delta Squad once more in the fight against the Locust Horde, in this "bigger, better and more badass" sequel to the 2006 smash hit.

More Than Half Of Gears 2 Users Played On Standard Definition!

• 79 results
    Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Drebin_893

Hell, when both my 360s were plugged in, I had them both in Standard Definition since my PS3 and Sky HD were using the HDMI ports.

Fei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Fei

I got an SDTV and played Gears on it.

Fei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Fei
    @Milkman said:
    " I don't see why anyone would play a 360 on a SDTV. HD TVs are so cheap now. "
    Unless you have kids, a house, 2 car payments, utility bills, cable, drive 45 min to work each day paying for gas, and are trying to save for your kids college funds. Oh did I mention past student loans still unpaid? Not even 50k a year can barely cover it.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#54  Edited By Icemael
    @Linkyshinks said:
    "Well I certainly see the imperfections, besides, you don't buy a TV solely for videogames do you, you would buy a HDTV for all the HD media you own, and for the available TV networks in your country. "
    But the same goes for movies and TV shows. There is a difference, but it's just not enough to justify the price IMO. It's like shoes -- if I have a pair that there aren't anything wrong with, I don't care if they're old and worn. I'm not gonna buy a new pair just because they're prettier. 

"More than half of pedestrians walk around with worn shoes" 
    "A year ago it was slightly understandable, but this year, I find that pretty amazing" 
    "That's kind of weird, especially considering how cheap you can get some shoes" 
    "I'm surprised there's a single person who walks around in worn shoes. New shoes are cheap now"
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55  Edited By Linkyshinks

That's some bizarre analogy you make, comparing shoes to rapidly progressing technology :/

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#56  Edited By Icemael

It might seem bizarre, but I don't see any major differences. Shoes are products that I use in my daily life. TVs are products that I use in my daily life. If I don't need to buy new shoes, I don't. If I don't need to buy a new TV, I don't. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

To all of you who say HDTVs are cheap now, I don't understand. 

Where I live (NZ), a 32" LCD is around $1200-1500. The average, blue collar wage is around $450 (atleast in the jobs I've had). 

My rent is $180 a week, food (+ toiletries) is anywhere from $50-100 a week, and that's not anything anything special. Power is anywhere from $100-160 a month. Internet is $60 a month atleast, and telephone line rental is $50+. So, out of $1800 or so a month, living costs have come to about $1000-1100. That without factoring in clothing, car (insurance, petrol, maintaining it, rego), any telephone calls made on top of the line rental, the occasional beer at the pub, and video games costing $100 each. 

It's not all that easy to save $1200-1500.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#58  Edited By KowalskiManDown

It slightly surprises me. I played both Gears on a 32 inch HDTV. I didn't realise that THAT many people still are yet to make the jump.

Avatar image for washablemarkers
    washablemarkers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By washablemarkers

I think there's a huge difference between SD and HD, but I'm personally not in the place to afford any large purchases like that now. It doesn't matter how cheap they've gotten, dropping a few hundred dollars on something is still a large purchase. I'll stick with my trusty early-90's 19-inch Sony set until I have the funds for something better. HD simply isn't very high on my list of priorities. 

That being said, I do recognize that some 360 games are difficult to play on my setup. Just last night I tried to load up the Battlefield demo and, nope, that was not going to happen on my set. Also, after playing Geometry Wars in HD, it's hard to go back. For most everything else, though, yeah, you do have to do a bit of squinting, but it gets the job done.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#60  Edited By alexl86

Though we have an HDTV in our house, the only game console connected to it is a Gamecube. My 360, Wii, PS2 and NES are all hooked up to my old 28" in the bedroom. I've been thinking about making the leap, but I bought a Wii instead. I might buy one this year, but it doesn't really improve my enjoyment of the game.

TheToecutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By TheToecutter

In Ireland, (where I'm from), regular televisions weren't commonly owned until the early 80'sat least. The same will most likely be true for HDTVs.

pinthewind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By pinthewind

I got my Samsung 32" 1080p LCD for $400. I put away a little bit of money from every paycheck and I had $400 in no time. I can only imagine how cheap the same TV will be 1 or 2 years from now.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#63  Edited By AhmadMetallic

its disgusting how crazy the GOW people are about graphics and high definiton
    raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#64  Edited By raidingkvatch

I'm really not surprised, it takes people along time to adopt new technologies. I doubt most people are going to be willing to pay for a new TV when their old TV works just fine. I only went "HD ready" (1080i 24") because my SDTV broke - right in the middle of my first Mass Effect playthrough!

TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#65  Edited By TheFreeMan

I play my 360 on a 40' SDTV. When I was buying my Xbox I was going to get a HDTV for fear of it looking awful, but when I actually sat down to play it I didn't feel the need. I had a perfectly good SDTV right there, why would I waste it and go buy a new TV? When my SDTV kicks the bucket, then I'll switch to a nice, big HD, but until then I'm satisfied. Most of my friends also play their 360s/PS3s on SDTVs as well. Although, the text is very small sometimes.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Demyx

hell, I still use standard definition.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I've been gaming on the same 18 inch SDTV for ten years now. When I can, I game on my 42 inch 1080p capable TV in the living room, but generally it's just the 18 inch. I'm not too surprised. I'd rather buy video games than update my TV.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Player1
    @Linkyshinks said: 

I had heard prior the take up was poor, but never imagined it was this poor!. I wonder what Pachter's thoughts are. What are yours?

Is there ever a time in ones life when they DON'T wonder what Patcher thinks? 
    R5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By R5

I dont play on an hd tv and it doesnt make that much of a difference to me

afrokola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#71  Edited By afrokola

Not all that surprised to hear this but the way he puts it is interesting, especially the way the guy interviewing him is way to shocked.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#72  Edited By Claude

480i FTW! Welcome to my world.

Bigbombomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#73  Edited By Bigbombomb

Yep, I still play on SD television. I do have a HD tv, but, its broken.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b65f243818c0
    deactivated-5b65f243818c0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Linkyshinks:
    Yep, I sure did play on SD. Looked alright to me. The only game I really had problems with was Fallout 3. Tiny tiny blurry text.
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_A_Drain:
    I agree with this post completely.  

On a side note, this is why the push for Blu-Ray is so unfair. People have only recently fully committed to DVD. Even back in '04, sales of dual DVD/VHS Players were reasonably high. 

The move towards high-def is both over-inflated and overrated. High-Def is still an expensive venture. Especially when there are still Standard Definition televisions that can optimize their picture to near-high-def standards.
    Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#76  Edited By Gunner

I dont have an HDTV.. I dont really notice the difference between SD and HD to be honest. Then again i do most of my gaming on the PC. 

Lost_In_Gaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Lost_In_Gaming

I played Gears 1 on an SDTV and Gears 2 on an HDTV.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By unsolvedparadox

Making the jump to HD doesn't require a pricey TV, I've been using a 24" LCD monitor for a few years and it looks fine.

PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By PJ
    @Linkyshinks said:
    " @Ineedaname said:
    " How would they know? "
    I am wondering exactly the same, but I don't doubt his claim, because he of all people would know, "
    They know because the 360 knows, And what ever the 360 knows, Microsoft knows.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By iam3green

aaa, yes, when i first got my 360 i played it on a SDTV. it lasted a while for me enjoying some of the games because they were good with not having to have a HDTV. i soon got tired of not being able to read half the things on the screen. i finally got a 32" 720p tv. when i first got the tv i was like wow look how improved the graphics are now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.