Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

GOG.com

Concept »

A digital distribution platform that focuses on providing DRM-free computer games, both old and new.

GoodOldGames.com

• 56 results
    BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By BBQBram

So I just joined gog.com and bought Little Big Adventure (or Relentless in the US) much to the excitement of my inner 8-year-old. Everything about the site seems amazingly well done and customer friendly, from the DRM-free games to the installer, support and community. Any other users on here? Let's recommend each other some games. I've already got my eyes set on Deus Ex and hoping they add System Shock soon. 

Yes I sound like a viral marketer, but it's that good. Check it out.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Gargantuan

GOG is pretty damn awesome. I've bought a lot of games I played in my childhood.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Animasta

I've bought like 10 games from them, and the only one I've played is guilty gear

I'm the worst D:

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Klei

Vampire : Masquerade Redemption is a great diablo-like that aged remarkably well. Planescape Torment is an absolute no-brainer. Same goes for Fallout 1-2.

upwarDBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By upwarDBound

I'm a fan. I've bought ten or so games from their store.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By JoeyRavn

Just for record, they are not called Good Old Games anymore. It's just "GOG" now, which reminds me every time of that other Gog...

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By audiosnow

I absolutely love it. I heard about it not long after they started up, but only purchased a game early this year. I can't believe it took me so long.

Man, playing The Incredible Machine 3 again was the bomb.

@BBQBram said:

...and hoping they add System Shock soon.

Yes, yes, yes! I have a copy of the EA CD-ROM release, but I've played only the "abandonware" *cough* port that's been floating around on the internet. I'd love to be able to buy a legitimate copy that works on updated machines.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

I usually nab free games all the time. I bought the DnD games that I either had bad copies of or didn't play before, and I CANNOT WAIT for System Shock 2.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fallen189

GoG is the hero we deserve

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By killacam

this is amazing. anyone know how alone in the dark holds up?

StealthRaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By StealthRaptor

I picked up Arcanum the other day and was super excited about it. Then my credit company's fraud protection department called to tell me that Gog charged me three times and my card was going to be terminated due to a possible identity theft. Oh well, Arcanum is still pretty good.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By Claude

I just recently signed up to GOG as well. It was the free Fallout that made me do it. I bet I've put over twenty hours into that game. Worth the price of free. I really want to buy Thief 2, never got a chance to play that one. Great site.

thesquarepear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thesquarepear
    GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GreggD

I own 146 games and bundles on the site. Huge fan, been a user/customer since it started.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By crusader8463

I like the site in theory, but their focus on really old PC games doesn't do me much good as I only got into PC gaming around 1999-2000. So my memories of great PC games as a kid are just a few years past what their focus is on. Atleast ti seems that way when I look over their stock of games. Hope they get some old games and not just some really old games on their soon, and I'm sure I will be spending a ton of time on there if/when they do. One example of this would be a game called Paraworld. I loved playing it when I was younger, but it only works on OS Vista and back, and the devs will never work on patching it to work on anything else because no one bought it. Would love to see them get that on there and make it work on Windows 7. I bought a copy of it not realizing the vista thing, and it's been on my shelf for a long time driving me nuts. Don't really care for the idea of re-installing Vista just to play one game.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GreggD

@crusader8463: Well honestly, the Build Engine shooters like Blood, Redneck Rampage and Duke Nukem 3D are completely playable today. You just need to configure the controls to WASD/mouse, and boom. You're all set. Also, a lot of games from the DOS era have source ports, like the first two Descent games. They come bundled together for 6 bucks on the site, and they work incredibly well with the aforementioned WASD configuration under their source ports. In terms of Strategy, there's some pretty good ones from the turn of the century, like Original War, Empire Earth, and so forth.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NekuSakuraba

Fallout 1 (and I'm presuming 2 even though I haven't played it yet) is a great game, Earthworm Jim 1 + 2 are also pretty awesome as well, Postal 2 is pretty crazy and fun and Duke Nukem 3d with the new controls mod is awesome.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GreggD

@NekuSakuraba said:

Fallout 1 (and I'm presuming 2 even though I haven't played it yet) is a great game, Earthworm Jim 1 + 2 are also pretty awesome as well, Postal 2 is pretty crazy and fun and Duke Nukem 3d with the new controls mod is awesome.

Also, eduke32, the Duke3D source port, is excellent. It's right here.

Telemekos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Telemekos

I bought and played through the Might and Magic series last year. 4-7 are especially great! Changed what I expect from depth in an rpg. Gog is awesome.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By fattony12000

Wait, Little Big Adventure is called Relentless in America?

What. The. Fuck.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By onarum

Yep, GOG is pretty awesome, have 45 games in my account, is an addiction every weekend I take a peek to check the deals and end up buying something more often then I would like.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MikkaQ

It's where I go to get my Interplay fix, they've got a great service going there.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By mylifeforAiur

@Claude said:

I just recently signed up to GOG as well. It was the free Fallout that made me do it. I bet I've put over twenty hours into that game. Worth the price of free. I really want to buy Thief 2, never got a chance to play that one. Great site.

You should definitely play Thief II: The Metal Age. I adore that game.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By jakob187

My friend (who mutually loves the shit out of Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale as much as me) turned me on to GOG a few months back. I thought "hey, that's cool".

With the recent "free Fallout" as well as Legend of Grimrock coming out, I finally ended up signing up for it. I've already bought more games than I probably ever should've, but I'll be goddamned if it isn't the best fucking service I've used on PC. The installers are smooth as fucking butter (my Legend of Grimrock install was a total of 10 goddamn seconds after downloading), the bonus stuff included with the games (like maps, grid paper, soundtracks, etc) make it even more of a great value, and then there's the fact that GOG works with developers and publishers in order to get these old games to be compatible with Vista and Windows 7 without us having to go out and figure out how to DOS-BOX it and shit.

I fucking love GOG. I'm on it everyday, staring at the same games, saying "fuck, it's only $10, man...I need to buy it". I have to really talk myself out of buying shit on there because I know I could EASILY blow about $300 very fast!

I think it also speaks to just how successful DRM-free ideals can be. I bought Legend of Grimrock and then gave it to two of my friends on their flash drives. Yes, I GAVE it to them. They went home, installed it, played it, and then ended up buying it on their newly made GOG accounts...as well as a handful of other games that they said "OH SHIT I LOVE THAT GAME I NEED IT".

I GAVE THEM A GAME...FOR FREE...POSSIBLY ILLEGALLY...AND THEY STILL FUCKING BOUGHT IT! They WANT the developers to get paid for that masterful piece of work (which in case you didn't know, EVERYONE should buy Legend of Grimrock...that game is FUCKING INCREDIBLE).

So yeah...I really really REALLY dig GOG. I also like that they are throwing some newer games on there. It's not a lot of them, but the ones they choose seem to be pretty goddamn great (Trine, Witcher 1 and 2, Legend of Grimrock, etc).

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#26  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@killacam said:

this is amazing. anyone know how alone in the dark holds up?

Honestly? Poorly. It's an interesting history lesson, and I imagine it would be doable with a walkthrough, but the controls make Resident Evil look like Ninja Gaiden and the game has no qualms about using instadeath if you screw something up.

Otherwise, GOG is pretty awesome. All the Infinity Engine games, Fallout 1 and 2, all the Might and Magic games. Pretty great. Sure, they have a lot of duds (infamous ones like Master of Orion 3, but also a lot of crap from more obscure developers and publishers) but basically if you like RPGs and strategy games from the 90s they have you covered.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#27  Edited By benspyda

I got Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate II and Grimrock from them so far. They are pretty good service.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By stryker1121

Yep, got Planescape and Witcher enhanced edition off GoG. Waiting on Silent Hill, STALKER and a few other PC games I missed to get added.

RubberFactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RubberFactory

Their awesome, but I wish they would support more payment options.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Karl_Boss

I've bought around 5 games from them.....good site.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By Justin258

@crusader8463 said:

I like the site in theory, but their focus on really old PC games doesn't do me much good as I only got into PC gaming around 1999-2000. So my memories of great PC games as a kid are just a few years past what their focus is on. Atleast ti seems that way when I look over their stock of games. Hope they get some old games and not just some really old games on their soon, and I'm sure I will be spending a ton of time on there if/when they do. One example of this would be a game called Paraworld. I loved playing it when I was younger, but it only works on OS Vista and back, and the devs will never work on patching it to work on anything else because no one bought it. Would love to see them get that on there and make it work on Windows 7. I bought a copy of it not realizing the vista thing, and it's been on my shelf for a long time driving me nuts. Don't really care for the idea of re-installing Vista just to play one game.

You could try a virtual machine to play Paraworld. Install Vista to that without worrying about losing anything on Win7 or having to dual-boot or anything.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NathHaw

I bought The Witcher and like all the Might and Magic games. Some other stuff too. Got the free copy of Fallout the other day.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By confusedowl

Love GOG as well. I have quite a few games on there and plan on getting more again soon. Most recent buy was yesterday when I got Fallout 2 for 2.99 and Fallout 1 for free a little while before that (Owned the trilogy already but what the hell, the Gog versions are probably easier to run on newer machines)

Other then Fallout I also have both Witcher games(Highly recommended), Gothic 1 and 2 (Series that got me into gaming all those years ago and continue to both be on my top 10), Arcanum, NWN1 Diamond, Septerra Core, Betrayal at Krondor pack, and Empire Earth Gold. The rest are games that have always been free on the site.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34  Edited By crusader8463

@believer258 said:

@crusader8463 said:

You could try a virtual machine to play Paraworld. Install Vista to that without worrying about losing anything on Win7 or having to dual-boot or anything.

I remember trying that and it didn't work for some reason. I probably screwed something up. Who knows.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mordukai

@Claude said:

Do it man. Thief 2 pretty much invented stealth in FPS. THe game still has a a community that still supports the game with hi-res mods and even a whole expension pack called Thief 2X: Shadows of the Metal Age.

Questionable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Questionable
    No Caption Provided

Can't go wrong with these.

The stuff that is not exclusive i usually buy on steam anyway. This caused me to own most of the titles up there double. /sigh

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By tourgen

I love GOG. I always check there first when I'm looking for PC games. They're talking about deals to get newer games there too. That would be very cool.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#38  Edited By Claude
    @mylifeforAiur said:

@Claude said:

You should definitely play Thief II: The Metal Age. I adore that game.

@mordukai said:

@Claude said:

Do it man. Thief 2 pretty much invented stealth in FPS. THe game still has a a community that still supports the game with hi-res mods and even a whole expension pack called Thief 2X: Shadows of the Metal Age.

I'll do it soon. I promise. I love stealth games too. It should be a no brainer for me.
    Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Karkarov

GoG is online distribution done right nuff said. No DRM, easy updating, they even gave away fallout 1 for free last week. Forget about the specials too, the constantly run buy 2 get one frees and over all just have low prices from the get go. I think one time I got something like both icewind dales and both baldurs gates for like... 10 dollars? They even incorporate fan patches right off the bat and give 100% guarantee the game will run on any OS they list since they pre configure them to work on their end. Unlike Steam who makes you apply the fan patches and do all the configuration on old games.

Once GoG starts carrying more new games they will become a much bigger name.

mcbonjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#40  Edited By mcbonjon

GOG is one of the best places for the classics. Here's my collection. Tell me what you guys think:

No Caption Provided
    mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By mosdl

Since they just added Theme Hospital, I am hoping for Theme Park.

capt_ventris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By capt_ventris
    No Caption Provided

Syndicate, Master of Orion 2, Commandos and Theme Hospital were my most played games 10-15 years ago. So glad I can play them again and get all the nice bonuses that GOG throws in

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started using GoG for old cRPGs , Baldurs Gate 1 & 2 were my first purchases. After that I actually just started buying any old game that I know I missed out on or was recommended by the community.  

Anachronox, Rayman Forever, Descent 1 & 2, One Unit Whole  Blood, and  Jagged Alliance 2 are a few that I would recommend.  Rayman 1-3 in particular are still a ton of fun.

Anachronox is...unique. It has some standard JRPG combat but it takes a backseat to exploration,minor detective work, a few mini-games, and other short events that mix up the game play.. Honestly it feels like more of an adventure game. It has some really great humor, even if it can be a bit absurd.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#44  Edited By Commisar123

I think GOG is amazing but I don't use it very often

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By BBQBram
    @Fattony12000 said:

Wait, Little Big Adventure is called Relentless in America?

What. The. Fuck.

I know right!
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just bought Wing Commander 4, looking forward to the cheesy FMV in DVD quality.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SomeDeliCook

@BBQBram said:

So I just joined gog.com and bought Little Big Adventure (or Relentless in the US) much to the excitement of my inner 8-year-old. Everything about the site seems amazingly well done and customer friendly, from the DRM-free games to the installer, support and community. Any other users on here? Let's recommend each other some games. I've already got my eyes set on Deus Ex and hoping they add System Shock soon. Yes I sound like a viral marketer, but it's that good. Check it out.

Your viral marketing is better than GOG's previous marketing attempt.

The only, ONLY thing that weirds me out about GOG is that Witcher 2 is on there, only because it had a pre order for it for so long. I don't really mind it being on there, it just always looks weird to see it being the only recent game. (And now Legends of Grimrock, but thats a pretty old school game from what I can tell)

I really really like GOG though

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ShaggE

I can't wait until they get through most of the fan favorites and start putting out the more obscure and rare games.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By tebbit

GOG is awesome. They are such a cool, upbeat service, especially in the face of systems like Origin which completely miss the point of an enjoyable customer experience.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#50  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    No Caption Provided

Those are my GoG games. I haven't played many of them. I have a terrible habit of buying games on GoG and hardly touching them. It is an awesome site though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.