Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 3: ODST

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Sep 22, 2009

Taking place during the events of Halo 2, Halo 3: ODST puts players in the shoes of a silent Orbital Drop Shock Trooper (known as the Rookie) as he traverses through the Covenant-occupied metropolis of New Mombasa to find the whereabouts of his missing squadmates.

Never played Halo/getting first X Box

Avatar image for killer_meatballs
    killer_meatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By killer_meatballs

I have never played Halo before and will be getting my first ever X box (getting the MW2 edition.)
    My question is, though I never played the previous games, will that be a problem?
    I don't care that much about the story, I mean, I can read about what happened in the first 3 games.
    Was just curious what anyone thought about starting with this game.

Thanks

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

You will only play Halo 3 for the multiplayer, because the Campaign is pretty crappy. I really couldn't see any connection between this game and the others, although I have never played Halo 2

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By AgentJ

There's not much of a story anyway, so you should be fine. Have fun with it! 

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Seedofpower

Yeah, your not missing much from the story, so don't worry about it.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By delta_ass

Halo's story is about space marines fighting space aliens.

In other words, pretty forgettable stuff. You'll be fine.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By kmdrkul

Yeah, the campaign is fun to blow through shooting aliens.  Really, I never had played the first two when I played Halo 3, and I both didn't know nor gave a damn about who all the characters were.  It was still good fun nonetheless.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By flaminghobo
    @natetodamax said:
    " You will only play Halo 3 for the multiplayer, because the Campaign is pretty crappy. I really couldn't see any connection between this game and the others, although I have never played Halo 2 "
    What he said.
    carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By carlthenimrod
    @natetodamax said:
    " You will only play Halo 3 for the multiplayer, because the Campaign is pretty crappy. I really couldn't see any connection between this game and the others, although I have never played Halo 2 "
    Correct me if I am wrong, but according to your achievement profile you beat the game 3 separate times. So you played through the campaign 3 times even though you thought it was "crappy"?

Personally, I think the campaign is pretty fun, and it is great fun if you can get some friends to play it cooperatively with you.
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By delta_ass
    @carlthenimrod said:
    Personally, I think the campaign is pretty fun, and it is great fun if you can get some friends to play it cooperatively with you. "
    I'm about to start playing splitscreen co-op Halo 3 sometime this weekend. How hard is Legendary? Is that the sort of thing best left to 4 player co-op or could 2 actually do it?
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It shouldn't be a huge problem, but you can pick up Halo 1, 2 & 3 fairly cheaply now, so they might be worth a look anyway.

killer_meatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By killer_meatballs

Thanks for all the replies.   Thought  I might get flamed for never having an X Box.  You guys are alright.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zombie2011
    @natetodamax said:

What a dumb comment, if you never played Halo 2 of course you wouldn't see the connection between the stories of the 3 games. 
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By agentboolen

The story seemed boring for me since I didn't play halo 2 and halo 3 is a continuation of 2.  But the multilayer is fun enough to buy it.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By delta_ass
    @killer_meatballs said:
    " Thanks for all the replies.   Thought  I might get flamed for never having an X Box.  You guys are alright. "
    Protip: Just write it as one word. Xbox.
    kingkorn69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kingkorn69

Dude don't worry I got my 1st xbox last Christmas and still haven't played any Halo title and never plan to!

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kmdrkul
    @Delta_Ass said:
    " @carlthenimrod said:
    Personally, I think the campaign is pretty fun, and it is great fun if you can get some friends to play it cooperatively with you. "
    I'm about to start playing splitscreen co-op Halo 3 sometime this weekend. How hard is Legendary? Is that the sort of thing best left to 4 player co-op or could 2 actually do it? "
    I've played with four before and actually found it to be a bit of a breeze.  I'd imagine two would be the ideal number.
    killer_meatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By killer_meatballs
    @Delta_Ass said:
    " @killer_meatballs said:
    " Thanks for all the replies.   Thought  I might get flamed for never having an X Box.  You guys are alright. "
    Protip: Just write it as one word. Xbox. 
    DO'H!   Man, I have a lot to learn!!   Thanks.
    Avatar image for deactivated-59c96a6e99d9e
    deactivated-59c96a6e99d9e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@killer_meatballs:  

I remember having problems the first time I played Halo 1, but only because that was the very first console shooter I played that utilized the dual-analog controls. Man, that was along time ago. Unless you haven't played any other console shooters, I think you'll be fine.

killer_meatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By killer_meatballs

Thanks.  I do suck at online play, but  am eager to  experience Halo online.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By Gizmo
    @kingkorn69 said:
    " Dude don't worry I got my 1st xbox last Christmas and still haven't played any Halo title and never plan to! "
    /sigh

You have never played any of the Halo games...

And you dare call yourself a gamer.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By natetodamax

Wow, I should have known better than to say something negative about Halo. This game easily has the worst community ever.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By JJOR64

You should be good if you hop right into Halo 3 since you don't care about the story.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By mordukai

I still consider the first game, Halo: Combat Evolved, to be the best one of them all. 

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By kmdrkul
    @natetodamax said:
    " Wow, I should have known better than to say something negative about Halo. This game easily has the worst community ever. "
    Have you played Grid online for the Xbox 360?  That is by far the worst community on the planet.  Way worse than Halo 3.  And I cannot for the life of my figure out why people are such dicks in that game.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By natetodamax
    @kmdrkul said:
    " @natetodamax said:
    " Wow, I should have known better than to say something negative about Halo. This game easily has the worst community ever. "
    Have you played Grid online for the Xbox 360?  That is by far the worst community on the planet.  Way worse than Halo 3.  And I cannot for the life of my figure out why people are such dicks in that game. "
    No, I haven't. What do they do? Maybe I can add them to the list I'm building
    Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Delta_Ass said:
    " @carlthenimrod said:
    I'm about to start playing splitscreen co-op Halo 3 sometime this weekend. How hard is Legendary? Is that the sort of thing best left to 4 player co-op or could 2 actually do it? "
    Delta, depending on your "first-person shooter aptitude," as it were, you could probably swing Legendary on your own. It's tough, but it's not soul-crushing. Two players makes it a little easier, three and four make the game a bit simple. But it's still fun to run though an eight hour campaign with three compatriots.
    kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kmdrkul
    @natetodamax said:

" @kmdrkul said:

" @natetodamax said:

Have you played Grid online for the Xbox 360?  That is by far the worst community on the planet.  Way worse than Halo 3.  And I cannot for the life of my figure out why people are such dicks in that game. "
    No, I haven't. What do they do? Maybe I can add them to the list I'm building "
    It's unbelievable.  Grid's online has terminal damage, meaning if you crash hard enough you are out for the race and you spectate.  I've never seen a racing game where everyone either chooses to plow into each other the first corner or they decide to literally start driving backwards at the start of the race.  Maybe five percent of the total racers are actually wanting to race while everyone else is doing everything they can to make your experience as bad as possible.  I've sent messages to several of the offenders in question and they readily curse me out or scream into their mics as a response.   I've been trying to get to the Legend rank online for the longest time but I just hate playing online with those people so bad that I know I'll probably never get around to getting it. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kmdrkul:
    Haha. Dirt 2 is kind of similar.
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By delta_ass
    @Sir_Ragnarok said:

Delta, depending on your "first-person shooter aptitude," as it were, you could probably swing Legendary on your own. It's tough, but it's not soul-crushing. Two players makes it a little easier, three and four make the game a bit simple. But it's still fun to run though an eight hour campaign with three compatriots. "

I tried Legendary on the first two games and it was always really frustrating, just because of the Elites recharging their shields and running out of ammo. Never had much trouble killing Brutes and other enemies on it.
    kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kmdrkul
    @Sir_Ragnarok said:
    " @kmdrkul: Haha. Dirt 2 is kind of similar. "
    Yeah, I've been playing Dirt 2 a ton lately.  Once I get the achievement for racing in every discipline online I'll stick to the Trailblazer/Rally lobbies.
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By Lies
    @natetodamax said:

No, it's more that you made a pretty stupid comment. Saying you couldn't see the connection between the stories when you SKIPPED THE MIDDLE PART is ridiculous. It's as if you only watched Star Wars, then skipped Empire Strikes Back, and went on to Return of the Jedi. You'd be like: "What the fuck happened to Han? Why is Luke suddenly a badass Jedi Knight? Who is the Lando character? Why is Carrie Fischer wearing a metal bikini? Who is this awesome Fett guy? What happened to Luke's Lightsaber? Why is it green? WAIT VADER IS LUKES FATHER WHAT?" etc, etc.

as for the OP, you should be alright, ODST tells a pretty contained story, although playing through the old games might be enjoyable- and it would certainly enhance your understanding. Essentially though, ODST fits in right after one of the beginning levels of Halo 2, so Halo 2 would be the only thing you would need for context- though as I said before, playing the others might be fun and you'd absorb some more of the periphery fiction.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By natetodamax
    @Lies: Holy fuck, I'm sorry. It's Halo, chill the fuck out

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Delta_Ass said:
    "@Sir_Ragnarok said:

Delta, depending on your "first-person shooter aptitude," as it were, you could probably swing Legendary on your own. It's tough, but it's not soul-crushing. Two players makes it a little easier, three and four make the game a bit simple. But it's still fun to run though an eight hour campaign with three compatriots. "

I tried Legendary on the first two games and it was always really frustrating, just because of the Elites recharging their shields and running out of ammo. Never had much trouble killing Brutes and other enemies on it. "
    And Brutes in Halo 3 behave very similarly to Elites from the older Halo games.  

Though, they have sort of a strange susceptibility to the Assault Rifle. And the Battle Rifle, as always, is an excellent all-around weapon for Brutes. Don't be afraid to get up close and melee the standard Brutes. They'll recoil backward and give you an opportunity to unload on them.  

The hardest part, for me at least, was the game's third level, Tsavo Highway. There are bits of the other levels that are tough, and Cortana is probably the most tedious level ever, but none of the levels are as consistently taxing as Tsavo Highway. Something about the vehicular combat.  

Is Legendary something you're going to tackle on Xbox Live, or are you doing it with a friend split-screen?
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Lies
    @Sir_Ragnarok said:
    " @Delta_Ass said:
    "@Sir_Ragnarok said:

I tried Legendary on the first two games and it was always really frustrating, just because of the Elites recharging their shields and running out of ammo. Never had much trouble killing Brutes and other enemies on it. "
    And Brutes in Halo 3 behave very similarly to Elites from the older Halo games.   Though, they have sort of a strange susceptibility to the Assault Rifle. And the Battle Rifle, as always, is an excellent all-around weapon for Brutes. Don't be afraid to get up close and melee the standard Brutes. They'll recoil backward and give you an opportunity to unload on them.   The hardest part, for me at least, was the game's third level, Tsavo Highway. There are bits of the other levels that are tough, and Cortana is probably the most tedious level ever, but none of the levels are as consistently taxing as Tsavo Highway. Something about the vehicular combat.   Is Legendary something you're going to tackle on Xbox Live, or are you doing it with a friend split-screen? "
    No Battle Rifle in ODST lol

@nate, not angry, I'm just saying you have to expect people to point it out when you make a comment with such a glaring flaw in the logic.
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By delta_ass

Just split-screen.

I don't think he's ever played a Halo game before.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Lies:  
    Yeah, I know, I'm like ninety percent sure Delta's talking strictly about playing through Halo 3, though. 

@Delta_Ass said:
    "Just split-screen.  I don't think he's ever played a Halo game before. "
    Haha, seriously? Fuck, I think he's in for a shock when you stick him in Legendary.  

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Lies
    @Delta_Ass said:

" Just split-screen.  I don't think he's ever played a Halo game before. "

Legendary difficulty varies between the titles it probably goes 2 > 3 > 1 in terms of difficulty, mostly because of those Jackal Snipers in Halo 2 that can insta-kill you on Legendary almost every time.

Personally, I think Heroic is the way to go for you. There was a great quote in the Bungie.net weekly update about this: 

“To me, Heroic is like a make out session. It's where I start things slow, take my time to explore the nooks and crannies. It lasts longer, and maybe isn't as satisfying as a Legendary run, but it gets me familiar with the game's rhythms and structures, which help me enjoy it more when I take it to the next level. I always head into Legendary on the follow-up play session, as that's where the magic is.” – GhaleonEB
    kingkorn69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By kingkorn69

What is the big deal about Halo!  Just because someone hasn't played it don't mean they ain't a gamer!  It is like saying if you never driven a Sports car then you  ain't really a driver.  Thats stupid!  Halo is crap in my opion and I plan on not changing that cause of someone on here told me too!!  I like all types of Ill stuff!!!

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By Diamond
    @kingkorn69 said:

" What is the big deal about Halo!  Just because someone hasn't played it don't mean they ain't a gamer!  It is like saying if you never driven a Sports car then you  ain't really a driver.  Thats stupid!  Halo is crap in my opion and I plan on not changing that cause of someone on here told me too!!  I like all types of Ill stuff!!! "

Gee that's funny because.

@kingkorn69 said:

" Dude don't worry I got my 1st xbox last Christmas and still haven't played any Halo title and never plan to! "

So it's crap in your opinion, but you never played it.  Good job.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Delta_Ass said:
    " Halo's story is about space marines fighting space aliens.  In other words, pretty forgettable stuff. You'll be fine. "
    Trust me. It's much more then that.
    kingkorn69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By kingkorn69
    @Delta_Ass: Well said dude!!!!!!!!!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.