Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo 5: Guardians

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 27, 2015

Eight months after the events of Halo 4, the Master Chief has reunited with his former SPARTAN-II comrades. After they go AWOL, a team of SPARTAN-IVs known as Fireteam Osiris is assigned to hunt them down.

Are you going to risk buying Halo 5 at launch?

• 69 results
    FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Are you going to risk buying Halo 5 at launch? (321 votes)

Yes 47%
    No 34%
    Maybe/I don't know 19%

I ask this because The Master Chief Collection was honestly an abortion of a release. Campaign, achievements, and especially multiplayer did not work properly for over a month, and they're still patching the thing.

With all that happening, do you think you'll buy Halo 5 day 1? Absolutely not for me. I know it's a different situation because it's just one game on a disc and not 4, also I hear stuff about different studios developing different parts of Halo MCC. But not only do I not trust them enough to give $60 bucks again on a defective product, but Halo MCC has really soured me on 343 and the Halo series. I'm definitely waiting to see what gamers say about it before going for that midnight launch pre-order pick up like I did with Halo MCC. Huge mistake.

• 
    kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yeah. I honestly believe this wasn't intended with MCC, and that it has a lot to with getting all the games to work together. I look forward to Halo 5, and I would honestly be surprised if Microsoft let their golden child mess up twice.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By csl316

Yes. 343 is the lead, it's not a port that tries getting 4 games to talk to each other. They had plenty of development time, unlike the stories of rushed development on MCC once the scope expanded.

Campaign on MCC worked fine out of the box for me. MP on the mainline games had been pretty solid, and I believe they learned a lot with MCC about the Xbox One.

I see no "risk." At worst, a couple slow days for multiplayer. And the collection has been working well for me after the first few patches, leading to dozens of hours of playtime for me since release.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Played a lot of the halo 5 beta stress test, was real smooth dedicated servers got into matches without a hitch no worries for me getting it day 1. I mean it's 1 game not 5 different games (h2a, h3, h2, h4, hce)

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really into Halo. it's kinda boring to me IMO, so nah.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#5 FinalDasa  Moderator

Nope. Halo MCC may have not been completely broken but to still be having troubles and matchmaking problems is inexcusable. I won't wait long but I don't think I'm as high on the Halo band wagon as I used to be.

Feathered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, the campaign alone would be enough for me to buy it at launch. It would be a shame if the multiplayer was bonked, but I have confidence that they've learned from their mistakes with MCC and will straighten things out with 5's launch.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Abso-fucking-lutely.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

You would have to chop off my hands and poke out my eyes before I would even begin to consider not playing it at launch. I'm not gonna sit here and hold up Halo 4 as some revolutionary masterpiece in video games, but I loved everything about that game and I'm dying to see where they take the story.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yesssssssss

elvicerator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I like Halo, I'll buy it if it works and it seems good from the reviews and other feedback from players. Only games I pre-order or buy at launch are Nintendo titles nowadays.

villainy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stopped pre-ordering a few years ago and buying day one this year. Halo is no exception to this. I can survive a week or few while everyone runs through the post-release but actually release candidate testing until final is available.

Also... Why do the results add up to 100%? Were polls stealth fixed or something?

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Master Chief collection was broken because it was rushed. Personally, I don't think they're rushing Halo 5, especially after what happened in the last few months. Also, halo 4 wasn't broken at all from what I remember.

Now, that's not to say that waiting to see if it's broken or not before buying is a bad idea. I just don't think Halo 5 is different than any other game at this point. If you're unwilling to buy Halo 5 at launch, you should probably treat most major releases that way. My only hope is developers and publishers got all this foolish competitive rush to get games on their systems...out of their systems. It's caused nothing but trouble. Finish your fucking games.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By John1912

@frostyryan Might want to watch your language in the first line there. Had a very hostile mod block my account for a couple hours for saying something similar. As well as another word used to express being grossly over charged for shipping and handling.

Otherwise I skipped 4, so 5 should at least be worth a purchase I think. I doubt it will be anywhere near as bad as MCC. Did 4 have issues?

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Evilsbane

Listen I of all people am upset by the state of the MCC, so many things about it were totally busted including the reason I bought it (Coop).

But Halo 5 looks amazing all the MP footage I have seen looks snappy and fresh I can't wait.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey positivity!

Wasnt a huge Halo guy to start with having only played CE and 2 which was partly why i picked up MCC, but once i catch up i probably will so possibly not day 1 depending. The beta looked nice and crisp, and had some interesting tweaks to the formula. Have faith it won't have the (actually not too terrible) problems MCC had.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Is MCC still broken? The latest articles on a quick Google search are dated the beginning of December; has there been any progress since?

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brendan said:

Is MCC still broken? The latest articles on a quick Google search are dated the beginning of December; has there been any progress since?

There's been significant progress. Online basically just works now. It basically works the way it should have worked at launch. Few problems here and there, but totally playable.

The game booted up and ran at launch. That's the most I can say about it on release day, really. Campaign doesn't crash anymore thankfully. Achievements seem to be unlocking. checkpoints seem to actually put me back where I was rather than skipping me ahead a chapter for no reason.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm more interested in the campaign so unless that side of the game is broken and/or terrible I'll most likely end up buying it

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

I'm all about the campaign. Multiplayer can wait.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Haha, "risk."

I'm buying it right fucking away.

follow001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think halo 5 will be alright since it is actually fully developed by 343 unlike master chief collection.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey: really? I've had the complete opposite experience with the beta. Also, not having played Halo since ODST I'm not sure I like the direction it's going in.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I had a really solid experience with the beta stress test, considering that the game is still probably roughly a year from release. Additionally I'm mainly concerned with the campaign so it's fine if the servers are down or unreliable for the first couple of days.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Calling something an abortion is so lame

TheBlackPigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Loading Video...

Risky business IS my business. Day one purchase for me.

Besides, I'm more of a single player guy, anyway.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand how this is a risk. I mean I'm not into Halo (so I don't actually know), but wasn't MCC developed by a different developer than the current main developer of the main Halo games right now?

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand how this is a risk. I mean I'm not into Halo (so I don't actually know), but wasn't MCC developed by a different developer than the current main developer of the main Halo games right now?

From what I understand, parts of MCC were made at different studios yes. Someone else here could explain it better to you. But 343 is still the one behind both. and it's possible Microsoft can rush it.

If anything, this is more of a question of ethics I guess. MCC was broken as all hell so like, I don't know, show then you've learned to be cautious and wait a bit to buy it? "Risk" probably wasn't a good word to put in there I admit

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frostyryan: I agree MCC was broken to hell, and that in particular should not be ignored, but I mean. I think I see what you're getting at (make it clear to the publisher- Microsoft- that we wont just buy it because it's Halo), but I feel that's putting undo blame on 343 who (it is my understanding anyway) made a pretty decent first Halo game (Halo 4).

I mean if 343 was involved enough in MCC to blame as well, then sure absolutely put their feet to the fire, but I mean... I guess it's complicated because I don't think we should shift blame on 343 on that humongous blunder if they've shown they actually put the work in for a decent Halo experience if their involvement with MCC was minimal or non-existant.

I had assumed they earned that trust, but again I don't play Halo so I am just speaking broadly here. I don't actually know. I am willing to admit I could be completely wrong and the risky feeling could be warranted.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cornbredx: Just to put my two cents in on Halo 4- Competent, well made game. Good video game. Maybe even a pretty great video game?

.....Not a good Halo game to me at all really. The sandbox feel of the original trilogy is a bit lost and well let's just say the gunplay feels like it was dipped into a pool of Call of Duty juice. I think most Halo fans agree with that at least to an extent. So on the actual QUALITY side of things, I'd say people who love halo 1-3 have a bit to worry about. There are people who like Halo 4 a lot though too.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By cornbredx

@frostyryan: I did a GOTY podcast a couple years ago and I recall a unanimous consensus (other than from me) that Halo 4 was a really good game. That's all I know.

I'm not really a Halo player, and was lead to believe Halo 4 probably wouldn't sway me. So that's all I really know about it.

This is honestly the first time I've heard anyone indicate they didn't think it was that good, just competent, sort of thing. So, I guess that's up for debate now haha

Anyway, interesting information none the less.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PrivodOtmenit

@csl316 said:

Yes. 343 is the lead, it's not a port that tries getting 4 games to talk to each other.

The games aren't interacting with each other at all. The menu system simply picks which game to load its maps and game modes from.

JRM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very big difference between MCC and a proper new Halo release.

cooltube96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. Halo 4 was a 343 game and it worked perfectly. I love the beta and halo so i will be there at day 1.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

You would have to chop off my hands and poke out my eyes before I would even begin to consider not playing it at launch. I'm not gonna sit here and hold up Halo 4 as some revolutionary masterpiece in video games, but I loved everything about that game and I'm dying to see where they take the story.

I know we have agreed on this game before. But I'm excited to see where 343 take Halo. Halo 4 is the best game in the series, and the Spartan Ops (?) stuff ended on a super interesting note.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't think they're going to have to deal with cobbling together four different games and having them run on a new and entirely different platform than what they were written for, so I'm going to have faith they'll get it right.

Also, I come primarily for the Halo campaign. Multiplayer is an afterthought in my book. So, yes I will take the plunge early on.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Julmust

No, I'm hesitant. I'll wait until it's known that multiplayer is working as it should.

Edit: That said, I never pre-order games and always wait until I know how the game is performing technically. So I'm basically doing what I'm always doing.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe that people can improve and learn from mistakes, because it is the nature of the homo sapiens sapiens species that we belong to, so yes. If the multiplayer servers despite billions poured into upgrading the Azure network eat dirt on launch, at least I'll have single-player, so extra yes!

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

It's Halo, of course I'm going to buy it at launch. The MCC doesn't really count for a reason to distrust 343.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why stop now?

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#40  Edited By KaneRobot

Yes. They will not fuck a Halo game up again any time soon. It would be like Microsoft botching the XBone launch after the 360 red ring debacle. They know that it's far too important to mess up a second time.

Re: Halo 4 - loved it. I don't know if I'd say it was the best in the series, but it is the one I probably played the most, both multiplayer and singleplayer (including finishing Legendary solo). Only Halo game I have all achievements in.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Man, the launch day praises of H5 are going to be hilarious.

"I bought the game, installed it and played a multiplayer match with minimal lag right out of the gate! It didn't burn my house down or actively try to murder me or anything! Fantastic!"

It kind of saddens me we are at this state with games where you have to ask "Is it safe to buy this game? Is it completely broken, does it run like garbage?". I hope we get back on track, cause this is depressing.

toisul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll most likely wait a couple of weeks before picking it up to see if anything is wrong with it.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am confident enough in 343i's ability to make a game, and also take note of their past mistakes. Plus, the collection is different than an all new game. I am definitely getting it day one. While there were definitely issues with the campaign side of things (and still are as a matter of fact), it sounds as though the biggest issues came from the multiplayer side, and for me personally, that's the thing I care least about as I just want to experience the campaign, though I will say the multiplayer does look fun. And yeah, this thread is six months old, but that's okay right?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#44  Edited By mike

@ntm: I mean it's fine that you bumped this...but why? Since you did, I'm genuinely curious about what makes you so sure that 343 isn't going to screw this game up. You say that you are confident that 343 can take note of their past mistakes...what gives you this confidence, specifically? I mean you said it yourself, there are even problems with the campaign side of MCC, the multiplayer was busted for months on end, so what is giving you this confidence that their next game is going to be a completely different and better experience? Try to step back and think about it objectively, is this wishful thinking and trying to convince yourself that a game you want to be good actually will be?

I don't even own an Xbox One (or a PS4 for that matter), it's just that when I read posts like this I'm genuinely fascinated how people can arrive at these conclusions. I mean, I do hope the game is good and isn't completely broken straight out of the gate for all the people who are looking forward to it, but give 343's recent performance with MCC...I'm the type of person that would assume their next game is going to be of similar quality until they prove to me otherwise. I'd do that with any game from any developer, which is part of the reason why I never preorder games and I almost never buy a game on day one.

For effs sake, on this week's (or last week's) Bombcast, one of the guys was STILL having problems getting into a match on MCC. It's been six months!

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By NTM

@mb: Mainly because I thought they did a great job with Halo 4. Obviously, things can go wrong, that I can't deny, but still, I feel it'll be fine (if not for everyone, at least for me). I'm not saying I believe that I'm entirely positive that everything will be okay, because that'd be delusional, as no one knows how it'll turn out until the game is released. Also, I noted that it was six months late because I noticed it just when I was done typing it, but felt the thread was still relevant, especially considering Halo 5 is coming out in a few months. I just wanted people to know I noticed it was six months old I guess. As for the issues with the campaign, the only one is that when it comes to Halo 4, sometimes the game won't load your last save, so you have to start that area all over.

I came back on to post on another Halo MCC thread. I am playing the Halo 2 Anniversary right now with a bunch of skulls, and it's fun. Oh, and while not proof at all, I was watching Halo 5 development videos earlier, and it seems like they're trying to catch every issue that comes up. I never preorder games either, though I definitely buy a game I'm interested in on day one, unless I hear that it's entirely broken on every front. I also have to say that the question was posed to us on a personal level, not whether we think others should buy it from what we feel about it, so where I'm at on it I can understand is different than others. Me saying I'm confident in their ability, doesn't mean I think others should as well if they don't feel the same about it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: Ok well, at least you're waiting to hear what the general consensus is before dropping your $60+ plus tax. I guess I took your post in more of a "I'm buying it on day one no matter what" type of way.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#47  Edited By Yummylee

No, but only because I'm not someone that's heavily invested in Halo. Still haven't played one of 'em for longer than like ten minutes. That said, I can't imagine Halo 5 will be as fucked as the MCC on release. Microsoft simply can't screw this up for a game like this, and of course it'll theoretically be much easier to keep everything stable on the account that it isn't trying to have four distinct multiplayer components running at once.

It's likely the reason why Uncharted: Nathan Drake Collection isn't going to include its multiplayer, beyond an Uncharted 4 beta anywhoo.

DookieRope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes because there is no "risk" in spending $60 on a luxury item.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: Yeah, that wasn't my intention. I do plan on buying it day one, but it isn't really a 'no matter what' kind of thing; it never is.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mike

@dookierope said:

Yes because there is no "risk" in spending $60 on a luxury item.

Games are a hobby - not everyone has a ton of money to waste on buying games that may not work. There's the risk. I mean it's great for you that you can throw away $60 and not feel like it was a big deal, but some people may only be able to buy a few full-priced games per year. To them, there certainly is a risk in buying games on day one that have a chance of being straight up broken for months on end.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.