Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Halo: Combat Evolved

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Nov 15, 2001

One of the launch titles of the original Xbox, Halo: Combat Evolved is a sci-fi first-person shooter telling the tale of an advanced cybernetic super-soldier known as the "Master Chief".

Rumor: 343 Industries Remaking Halo: CE On The Reach Engine

vampire_chibi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#201  Edited By vampire_chibi

åh no all the grunts are gonna look like monsters, they looked so nice and friendly in H1 and H2 but in H3 they looked mean and oldish.

I hope they are going to redo the texture so it all looks god but still feels the same.
    P.S. Online co-op please.

nickux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#202  Edited By nickux

I don't know, I would hope that with all the talented people there they could be better put to use creating something new and exciting.

StrakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#203  Edited By StrakAttack
    @xXwindoverXx: Probably should clean it up instead of typing... but I guess everyone has their priorities.
    Mrnitropb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#204  Edited By Mrnitropb

As a downloadable extra, shit yeah.  
    As a Boxed $60 game? Fuck off.

JohnKiller118

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By JohnKiller118

What would be the point?

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#206  Edited By choffy21

Everyone here is missing the point. Playing Halo: CE on Xbox Live would make my generation.

Bobbzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By Bobbzor

Outstanding if it's true, really liked the first halo.

Duder_Me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By Duder_Me

Its a cool idea, but its pretty pointless. They should just make a new game instead because I am sick of these remakes. However, the PS2 HD compilations are a good idea because you can play PS2 games on the PS3 that way. The Xbox 360 doesn't need that because it can already play Xbox 1 games.

Avatar image for mustachedpagoda
    MustachedPagoda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#209  Edited By MustachedPagoda

Honestly, I would definitely consider this, Reach was a pretty awesome improvement over Halo 3/ODST, maybe we can get some Reach-ish features added in there.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#210  Edited By BaneFireLord

That's...logical.

27thRed_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By 27thRed_Martyr

i have Halo 1 on my pc so **** this

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By audiosnow

A pretty far-fetched rumor, I would say... It would be a sweet trip down memory lane if they did, as Halo: CE was the first non-DOS game I played, but I'm not expecting it, nor would I pay more'n $6 if they did.

aacx97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By aacx97

I KNEW this would be their first game! Thought it be be a launch game for the next Xbox though

theberserker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By theberserker

would buy in a heartbeat

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By pweidman

Just the campaign co-op, if XBL enabled, would justify my purchase.  Been wondering when or if anyone would actually do this.  Good for 343 it this's true.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#216  Edited By TheHBK

Can we get Age of Empires 2 redone in HD?

MightyJ77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By MightyJ77

I'd definitely be interested in picking it up if this turns out to be more than a rumor.

GTFan712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By GTFan712

Although I would enjoy paying $20 or $30 for Halo: CE and Halo 2 with online support through Games On Demand, I'd also throw down $60 for a HD rerelease of both, as long as everything still has the same gameplay (weapons and aiming is the same as the original). Either way, I'd be fine with a Halo: CE remake next November, and a continuation of the story a year or two down the road.

Avatar image for shazb0t--defunct
    shazb0t--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

... Maybe?

marsfb83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By marsfb83

would love it as long as it had co-op capabilities like reach

LeetBalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#221  Edited By LeetBalla
    @Duder_Me said:

" Its a cool idea, but its pretty pointless. They should just make a new game instead because I am sick of these remakes. However, the PS2 HD compilations are a good idea because you can play PS2 games on the PS3 that way. The Xbox 360 doesn't need that because it can already play Xbox 1 games. "

I think you're missing the point of this potential release. (1) It's relatively easy to do so not a lot of manpower will be dedicated to it and will sell well; essentially, this game will make a lot of money. (2) Fans of the series would love to see Halo CE released in HD on the Reach engine with online play.
    nickmartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By nickmartin

I would definitely buy this... and getting HD graphics and online multiplayer for the best Halo game in the series would be pretty cool!!

JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By JoeyIA

I'd buy original-non-HD Halo again if they added matchmaking and 4 player co-op.

RichieJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 9

#224  Edited By RichieJohn

I'm into it. The best halo by far. Should make it a trilogy box set with all the maps. For the 10 yr thing.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#225  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I'd play it again.

TheeBassMasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By TheeBassMasta

HUUURRAY FOR CASH IN'S!
    SHADOWINFINITE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By SHADOWINFINITE

Buying this the day it comes out!!!!!!

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#228  Edited By monkeyking1969

Here is the thing...regardless of if you want a remake...do you think this highlight how good the team is in a positive light?   

The way I see it doing a remake says, "No we have little confidence in this team to make their own product, in order for this not to be a complete catastrophe we have to allow the team to crib the old game."  MS is staying this teams is only now able to use the tools from the last Bungie game, they have zero capacity to plan and execute anything as big as a full game on their own....even with Frankie.    

And, that, is just sad to know because it means it will be 24 to 30 months before any real Halo games show up.  They will pop out this remake in 12-15 months, but then it will be another 18 months or more until they get a real game ready.

Avatar image for deactivated-594edfbbc45ca
    deactivated-594edfbbc45ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jakob187 said:
    "I think they should instead figure out a way to make it possible to play ranked matches on Halo games without having to download the DLC packs.  Really was hoping Reach would play out differently, but it hasn't.  In turn, I've got little interest in Halo anything right now. "

What the hell are you on about? you can play whatever playlist you like in Reach without buying the DLC.
    Avatar image for aneternalenigma
    AnEternalEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By AnEternalEnigma

I'll pay $60 just for Halo 1's multiplayer alone with online capability. As long as they pretty up the maps and don't change a damn thing about anything else. That was such a sublime experience. Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo: Reach's multiplayer failed miserably in comparison.

demonkd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By demonkd

id actually be pretty happy if this turned out to be ture halo ce is my favourite halo game
    Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By Capum15

I will give them my money.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#233  Edited By wrighteous86
    @MonkeyKing1969 said:

"  Here is the thing...regardless of if you want a remake...do you think this highlight how good the team is in a positive light?   

The way I see it doing a remake says, "No we have little confidence in this team to make their own product, in order for this not to be a complete catastrophe we have to allow the team to crib the old game."  MS is staying this teams is only now able to use the tools from the last Bungie game, they have zero capacity to plan and execute anything as big as a full game on their own....even with Frankie.     And, that, is just sad to know because it means it will be 24 to 30 months before any real Halo games show up.  They will pop out this remake in 12-15 months, but then it will be another 18 months or more until they get a real game ready. "

A good way to counter this feeling would be if they told the Arbiter's story (although he wasn't yet the Arbiter) as an add-on campaign.  Incredibly unlikely, but it would be interesting to see the events of the first game from another perspective and would allow them to flex some creative muscles, even if it was only a few missions.  Fitting too, since the Arbiter was so important to Halo 2 and 3.

Creating enemy AI for the human forces would probably require too much effort, on second thought.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By penguindust

It appears this rumor has been confirmed by Joystiq.  LINK 

The game will be made by Saber Interactive and is set to arrive this holiday season.  Me, I still have no desire to replay The Library, but if you've never played the original, now you can with a fresh coat of paint and online, too. 

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@PenguinDust said:
    " It appears this rumor has been confirmed by Joystiq.  LINK 

The game will be made by Saber Interactive and is set to arrive this holiday season.  Me, I still have no desire to replay The Library, but if you've never played the original, now you can with a fresh coat of paint and online, too.  "
    Awesome! I still love the original Halo (and even The Library), so I'll definitely be getting this day one!
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#236  Edited By ProfessorEss
    @PenguinDust said:

Me, I still have no desire to replay The Library, but if you've never played the original, now you can with a fresh coat of paint and online, too.  "

I'm sure harcore fans would lose their minds if anything was changed but I think it'd be nice if they reworked The Library to make it a little more interesting.
    MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By MisterChief

From the makers of TimeShift...

MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By MayorFeedback
    @Vito_Raliffe said: 
    Awesome! I still love the original Halo (and even The Library), so I'll definitely be getting this day one! "
    Glad to know I'm not the only one who likes The Library. I'm all sorts of excited for this.
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#239  Edited By Slaker117

Not sure how I feel about this. I love Halo and consider the original single player the best in the series. I don't mind the idea of an HD remake, but without Bungie involved it feels wrong. Reach was a proper send off for the core Halo games, for anyone else to go back and mess with them is unsettling.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Can't say I'm impressed by the developers they've got on this..  But considering it's a straight up remake, there's not too much room to go wrong, unless they really mess with the story. 
    I hope we don't see too many new Halo games, it definitely needs a rest for a bit now (but so do many other franchises that are still getting sequels, before anyone else throws out "they're milking it") but I'm happy with a remake of where it all started.

Gregomasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By Gregomasta
    @CandiBunni: *sigh*  
    Artimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By Artimus

in my own opinion, re-making halo combat evolved would just make it look like a "cash cow". almost all the games who went down this rode never made it out in one pice and the series/ franchise crashed. to be honest i dont whant this happening to any of the halo games. for those who want the re-makes, think in the long run, chances are that if they make this re-make the game is going to crash some time down the rode and halo will sees to continu when it still has tons of potential to continue. after all the can just plop any forrunner world or alien planet to continue it. so i say leave Halo: combat evolved as it is, an amazing classic, and not potentialy ruin the franchise just to make more money of the first game, hense the meaning of "cash cow". im fairly shure many of you are going to make angry remarkes about what i said, but if you realy care about the halo series, you would look at it from a non-bias stand point and see what my words are, for what they are, the truth. thank you, from a major, but not the only major, halo FAN.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.