Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Karateka

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Nov 07, 2012

A remake of Jordan Mechner's 1984 computer game of the same name, following one of three martial artists as they infiltrate a guarded castle fortress to rescue the princess.

Why is Jordan pronouncing the word Karateka incorrectly?

• 53 results
    monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By monkeyking1969

This really ticks me off, the game industry keep interviewing Jordan Mechner and he keeps mispronouncing the name, and they he start making the interviewer mispronounce the name. Karateka is a WORD in Japanese, so even if you don't pronounce it in 'perfect' Japanese there is no reason to change the sounds and add emphasis to the wrong syllable.

http://www.forvo.com/word/karateka_(%E7%A9%BA%E6%89%8B%E5%AE%B6)/

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

I don't know...I remember the initial interview in which he "mispronounced" karateka, but...it's his game, and he's not Japanese. It doesn't bother me, all I know is that Karateka and Oregon Trail were the first video games I ever played and they were absolute magic. He can say it however he wants.

It also makes me feel really old when I think about the fact that most people reading this never even played either of those games.

Avatar image for imsorrymsjackson
    Imsorrymsjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Imsorrymsjackson

Alright.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Tennmuerti

@MB said:

I don't know...I remember the initial interview in which he "mispronounced" karateka, but...it's his game, and he's not Japanese. It doesn't bother me, all I know is that Karateka and Oregon Trail were the first video games I ever played and they were absolute magic. He can say it however he wants.

It also makes me feel really old when I think about the fact that most people reading this never even played either of those games.

Ironically I played the game, but being like 5 or 6 I never knew what it was called (lack of english at the time didn't help either)

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

Eh.

Tell him yourself, if you care this much, or just sit and fume on the internet. It's not that big of a deal, seeing as he's not Japanese.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By CaLe

Who gives a shit? He's not Japanese, and Japanese people themselves butcher English pronunciations all the time. FAINARU FANTASHIIIIIIIIIIII. These are English words and the Japanese pronounce them wrong!!! Oh noes. I'm guessing he also mispronounces samurai, ninja, tsunami, karate, judo, sumo, and a whole slew of other Japanese words as well. Like pretty much every other バカ外人.

Stop making an issue out of nothing.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mandude

@CaLe said:

FAINARU FANTASHIIIIIIIIIIII

As far as I'm concerned, that's making it sound better.

But yeah: non-issue.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Video_Game_King

@MonkeyKing1969 said:

Karateka is a WORD in Japanese, so even if you don't pronounce it in 'perfect' Japanese there is no reason to change the sounds and add emphasis to the wrong syllable.

Your argument is "so even if you don't pronounce it in 'perfect' Japanese, there's no reason you shouldn't pronounce it in perfect Japanese"?

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Baillie

Yeah, I don't understand why people are pronouncing it wrong now, I rarely heard it being pronounced wrong before.

TonicBH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10  Edited By TonicBH

@MonkeyKing1969 said:

This really ticks me off, the game industry keep interviewing Jordan Mechner and he keeps mispronouncing the name, and they he start making the interviewer mispronounce the name. Karateka is a WORD in Japanese, so even if you don't pronounce it in 'perfect' Japanese there is no reason to change the sounds and add emphasis to the wrong syllable.

http://www.forvo.com/word/karateka_(%E7%A9%BA%E6%89%8B%E5%AE%B6)/

That's how he pronounces it, thus that's how it's pronounced. Who cares if it's not accurate?

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Christoffer

¡Exzécutable!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Jeff Gerstmann doesn't pronounce his name with the proper German accent.

Neither does Brad Schumacher.

Avatar image for gladiator_games
    Gladiator_Games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Gladiator_Games
    @MonkeyKing1969 Ever promounce it "motorhead"? BAM! Youre wrong! Hes not a native speaker. You weeaboos are strange indeed.
    YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By YoungFrey

I don't know of any language where a real effort is taken to pronounce another's when incorporating parts of it. Which is kind of the point, you are aren't trying to speak the other language, you are just taking a useful part of it and making it part of your language. Which means you can then say it however you like (you meaning the population at large). If Jordan was saying "The Japanese have this thing they call <mispronounced>" that is ok (if petty) to complain about because for that 1 word he is speaking Japanese.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Karl_Boss

Why are you so bent out of shape over something this small?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By MikkaQ

He made the game up, he gets to pick the pronunciation. Especially with a title as dumb as Karateka.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By RVonE

This thread is gold.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By laserbolts

What is a weeaboo?

Avatar image for fire_of_the_wind
    Fire_Of_The_Wind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Fire_Of_The_Wind

Isn't it pronounced how its written, how do you pronounce it wrong? Listening to the Japanese pronunciation that is how I always pronounced it and I never knew that it was a Japanese word.

reverendhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By reverendhunt  Online

Now see, you can't use the Japanese mispronouncing English as a valid argument. A lot of sounds in English don't exist in Japanese. *All* sounds in Japanese exist in English natively, except maybe Tsu.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CaLe

@ReverendHunt said:

Now see, you can't use the Japanese mispronouncing English as a valid argument. A lot of sounds in English don't exist in Japanese. *All* sounds in Japanese exist in English natively, except maybe Tsu.

They are taught how to read English from a young age and see it constantly throughout their daily lives. Just because their syllabary system doesn't contain the sounds doesn't mean they can't pronounce them.

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Shady

Well, I'm glad to know that name calling hasn't left this site yet. Still, I'm not really sure it matters how you pronounce it since the game doesn't make any effort to let you know how to do so. Also, this game sucks.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By JasonR86

Eh. This reminds me of those who freak out when people mispronounce 'karate'. Why make such a big fuss about it? All words are made up anyway.

Shady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Shady

@CaLe said:

@ReverendHunt said:

They are taught how to read English from a young age and see it constantly throughout their daily lives. Just because their syllabary system doesn't contain the sounds doesn't mean they can't pronounce them.

Unless you constantly speak a language, those things are bound to slip by. My pronunciation of certain Spanish words became really rusty after not speaking it for several years.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CaLe

@Shady said:

@CaLe said:

@ReverendHunt said:

Unless you constantly speak a language, those things are bound to slip by. My pronunciation of Spanish became really rusty after not speaking it for several years.

I wasn't trying to suggest they should even attempt to pronounce the English properly. Just pointing out they know how to read English... albeit not very well in most cases. Just like most English speakers can't properly pronounce a whole bunch of common Japanese words. They just say them in their normal accents, which is fine. It's dumb to complain about it.

Avatar image for gladiator_games
    Gladiator_Games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By Gladiator_Games
    @laserbolts 1) weeaboo is a japanophile. Typically a white person who does everything they can to be what they think is japanese (re: manga/anime) and tend to open threads like this and use mangled japanese in their day to day speak. 2) as Jeff would say: "a jerk"
    Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand this thinking. I live in NY and Manhattan probably has the most accents in one area in the world, and I've never once gone up to a foreign person and said, "you're pronouncing *insert English word* wrong, learn to say it." Japanese people butcher English all the time, it's a very difficult language gap...it's not a crime to mispronounce a Japanese word.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By Justin258

@MB said:

I played Oregon Trail and I'm only 21. Best educational game ever.

@laserbolts said:

What is a weeaboo?

From my understanding, it's someone who is similar to an otaku but instead of being obsessed with Japanese culture from a more outside perspective, they try to pretend like they really are Japanese. So, yeah, somehow more pathetic than an otaku.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Grimhild

@Brodehouse said:

Jeff Gerstmann doesn't pronounce his name with the proper German accent. Neither does Brad Schumacher.

*gasp* Das ist wahr! Unannehmbar! Fire them, now.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By Sooty

@CaLe said:

Who gives a shit? He's not Japanese, and Japanese people themselves butcher English pronunciations all the time. FAINARU FANTASHIIIIIIIIIIII. These are English words and the Japanese pronounce them wrong!!! O

They are English words adapted into the Japanese writing system, so that's why they sound different. It's not because they are pronouncing them wrong, it's just how they should be read from looking at the writing.

Some words make a smooth transition (such as banana) but others don't and alter the sound of the words slightly.

@rebgav said:

@MonkeyKing1969 said:

Karateka is a WORD in Japanese, so even if you don't pronounce it in 'perfect' Japanese there is no reason to change the sounds and add emphasis to the wrong syllable.

Yeah! Let's make a big deal out of this! Especially since Japanese developers do such a great job of pronouncing English words!

As above.

@CaLe said:

@ReverendHunt said:

You are vastly overestimating how many people in Japan actually understand English. It's nothing like Scandinavia.

and it kind of does, English is much harder to pronounce than Japanese and it is impossible to write certain English words in Japanese, hence the adaption/interpretation - it doesn't mean they can't pronounce it, although most couldn't.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31  Edited By Cube

man who fucking cares. video games must be slumping if this is what we're talkin about

Fearbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Fearbeard

His game, he can pronounce it however he wants and the way he pronounces it is the way it should officially be pronounced. The actual probounciation of a real word is irrelevant.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheHumanDove

this thread is kawaii

Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bribo

It's pronounced "carrot tweaker".

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BestUsernameEver

Of all the things to get mad about. There is a civil war in Syria right now, and you're whining about some guy not pronouncing a title correctly.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36  Edited By rentfn

This was brought up at the PAX East 2012 Keynote. A fan in the crowd asked him this same question and I believe he responded by telling the guy to make a game and call it whatever he wants...until then get off his back.

Jerusahat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Jerusahat
    matti00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By matti00

Until I learned proper Japanese pronunciation, I pronounced all sorts of shit wrong. I won't judge people for doing the same thing, because I know how easy it is.

Also, Americans telling people how to pronounce *anything* is crazy.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By napalm

Is it "care-uh-teekuh" or karah-tikuh"? I think it's the second. I think.

Or I mean, the second way sounds less dumb.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Hitchenson

Aluminium not Aluminum

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By azteris

@Napalm said:

It's the second one, in my opinion. I don't understand this fascination some people have with stopping in the middle of a word to pronounce it incorrectly, then getting upset that people are telling them they are wrong.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#42  Edited By Trilogy

@Hitchenson said:

Aluminium not Aluminum

Excuse me, but I do believe the correct pronunciation is "Alooomeenummenumenumenum".

Avatar image for manhattan_project
    manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Azteris said:

@Napalm said:

It's the second one, in my opinion. I don't understand this fascination some people have with stopping in the middle of a word to pronounce it incorrectly, then getting upset that people are telling them they are wrong.

And yet everyone just loves it when people make fun of Will Smith.

I have no idea why people suddenly started saying it wrong.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By napalm

@Manhattan_Project said:

@Azteris said:

@Napalm said:

And yet everyone just loves it when people make fun of Will Smith.

I have no idea why people suddenly started saying it wrong.

To be fair, he pronounces normal-ass words weird. Exzecutable? Like, what?

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jimbo

Should have been a poll.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@ReverendHunt said:

There are plenty of Japanese people who can speak English perfectly, the sounds don't simply not exist for them, but I've seen enough Japanese TV shows to know they often slaughter the language. For example, the word "decade" (which is fairly obvious to say for native English speakers) in Kamen Rider Decade is frequently pronounced "Dee-cad-oh".

But I don't see the big deal and I'm sure no one in Japan does either.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By abendlaender

@Brodehouse said:

Jeff Gerstmann doesn't pronounce his name with the proper German accent. Neither does Brad Schumacher.

*arrogant cough* It's SchuHmacher, thank you

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By CaLe

@Sooty said:

@CaLe said:

Who gives a shit? He's not Japanese, and Japanese people themselves butcher English pronunciations all the time. FAINARU FANTASHIIIIIIIIIIII. These are English words and the Japanese pronounce them wrong!!! O

They are English words adapted into the Japanese writing system, so that's why they sound different. It's not because they are pronouncing them wrong, it's just how they should be read from looking at the writing.

Some words make a smooth transition (such as banana) but others don't and alter the sound of the words slightly.

@CaLe said:

@ReverendHunt said:

You are vastly overestimating how many people in Japan actually understand English. It's nothing like Scandinavia.

and it kind of does, English is much harder to pronounce than Japanese and it is impossible to write certain English words in Japanese, hence the adaption/interpretation - it doesn't mean they can't pronounce it, although most couldn't.

I'm not overestimating them at all. I've spent a decent amount of time surrounded by Japanese students who are learning English and they actually do know how to read and pronounce English properly when they want to (some better than others of course). It might be different if you are talking with someone who has zero interest in even trying. Plenty are perfectly happy to katakana-fy everything. I'd never suggest it's anything like Scandinavia. I was simply saying they can make English sounds that are not part of their own syllabary system -- which they can.

My first post wasn't a slight at any Japanese person. It was a parody of the OP. I guess the butchering part was a slight, but it's true. Many are pretty bad because they are katakana-fying everything, not just 和製英語 or normal 片仮名. This isn't a bad thing in itself... unless trying to learn English.

Also: "it's just how they should be read from looking at the writing." -- I know.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49  Edited By Sooty

@CaLe said:

@Sooty said:

@CaLe said:

@CaLe said:

@ReverendHunt said:

I'm not overestimating them at all. I've spent a decent amount of time surrounded by Japanese students who are learning English and they actually do know how to read and pronounce English properly when they want to (some better than others of course). It might be different if you are talking with someone who has zero interest in even trying. Plenty are perfectly happy to katakana-fy everything. I'd never suggest it's anything like Scandinavia. I was simply saying they can make English sounds that are not part of their own syllabary system -- which they can.

I mean overestimating the country, English really isn't widely spoken outside of what they pick up in school. Of course there's plenty of students who take their English to an excellent level.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By CaLe

@Sooty said:

I mean overestimating the country, English really isn't widely spoken outside of what they pick up in school. Of course there's plenty of students who take their English to an excellent level.

For sure, it's nothing like Scandinavia, or Europe in general. Actually they are even a lot worse than Korea when it comes to English. I just think it's a little unfair to say they can't pronounce English sounds because of their own system. It's a hindrance, but they can overcome it if they make an effort.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.