Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Katawa Shoujo

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jan 04, 2012

Katawa Shoujo is a free-to-download dating sim visual novel from Four Leaf Studios. It stands out a bit from other entries in the genre in that the girls in the game all have a disability of some sort.

After more than a decade, it's finally out.

• 198 results
    Devoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#51  Edited By Devoid

Damn it you guys, I didn't expect this to get a thread on the forums. I thought stuff of this subject matter was usually restricted to Psycosis' blog, haha.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By BoG

So, when I first opened this thread, I downloaded this game, "for the lulz." I immediately turned off adult content because I have dignity. So far, this game is boring and creepy. Boring because it's just portraits and text and more portraits and text. Creepy because... they're all crippled. That's just odd. The picture in the beginning is deceiving. One of those girls is burned, one is blind, one is deaf, on has no legs. I mean, I have nothing against handicapped people, but this game is just creepy. The other strange thing is how darn attractive all these handicapped girls are. I mean, that legless girl has great legs.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#53  Edited By Animasta

the main character seems to be a really big creep, only being attracted to disabled girls

a cripple chaser, if you will

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#54  Edited By Hailinel

@BoG said:

So, when I first opened this thread, I downloaded this game, "for the lulz." I immediately turned off adult content because I have dignity. So far, this game is boring and creepy. Boring because it's just portraits and text and more portraits and text. Creepy because... they're all crippled. That's just odd. The picture in the beginning is deceiving. One of those girls is burned, one is blind, one is deaf, on has no legs. I mean, I have nothing against handicapped people, but this game is just creepy. The other strange thing is how darn attractive all these handicapped girls are. I mean, that legless girl has great legs.

That's the whole point of the game. Katawa Shoujo literally means disability girls or disabled girls. The goal of the team that developed the game was to create a dating sim with hentai elements that could depict the characters with a level of class and dignity, as opposed to just objects of amputee fetishization.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

@Animasta said:

the main character seems to be a really big creep, only being attracted to disabled girls

He isn't only attracted to crippled girls. He is crippled too, in fact discovering he has Arrhythima when a girl from his old high school tried to confess to him causing him to have a heart attack. This lands him in a hospital bed for several months and eventually has him being forced to attend a school specifically built to cater to disabled students with a 24-hour nursing staff on campus.

If there is any specific attraction it is through the common struggles they share as being outcasts from regular society, the protagonist perhaps even more so considering his condition is so fragile and incredibly life threatening.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#56  Edited By Video_Game_King

So for those who have played a fair amount of this (I know (as he was playing this game a minute or two before I made this post) and maybe ), about how long is it? Does anybody have a general estimate on that?

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#57  Edited By Sambambo

@ccampb89 said:

After I read the post I thought this was an elaborate joke, than I read the rest and felt sadness.

This pretty much sums up my experience.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Video_Game_King said:

So for those who have played a fair amount of this (I know (as he was playing this game a minute or two before I made this post) and maybe ), about how long is it? Does anybody have a general estimate on that?

I've played through two paths and a full run is about 5 hours. There is a skip function though to quickly get through text you've seen before so each consecutive run is significantly shorter.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#59  Edited By Jimbo

@Xel said:

More than a decade? This game was in development for 5 years...

That is more than a decade in disabled years.

Psycosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#60  Edited By Psycosis

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Video_Game_King said:

I've played through two paths and a full run is about 5 hours. There is a skip function though to quickly get through text you've seen before so each consecutive run is significantly shorter.

Though having said that the common route is only act 1, out of 4 acts per route. Meaning there isn't a lot of same text in each route. Skipping that brought me down to around 4 hours for each of the six five routes.

Avatar image for longtimenosiege
    longtimenosiege

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#61  Edited By longtimenosiege
    No Caption Provided

I'll just leave this here.

Avatar image for longtimenosiege
    longtimenosiege

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By longtimenosiege

@Video_Game_King:

Lilly's route took me about 6 1/2 hours, though I skipped the majority of Act 1 since I had already played it.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Simplexity

I randomly stumbled over this, I got to the part where I was railing this under aged girl with no legs in a gym supply closet with lemon scented lube, and decided that I needed to play more of it.

Also, good art.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Hailinel

I would have thought that someone would have started the article in the wiki by now. MUST I DO EVERYTHING MYSELF?!

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel said:

I would have thought that someone would have started the article in the wiki by now. MUST I DO EVERYTHING MYSELF?!

I was going to do it but seducing this armless temptress is harder than I thought.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#67  Edited By Turambar

Didn't the first chapter get released as a demo a few years back, and everyone that played it were delightfully surprised at the quality? 

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Turambar said:

Didn't the first chapter get released as a demo a few years back, and everyone that played it were delightfully surprised at the quality?

Yes. Act 1 was released around 2009 and from what I can tell was mostly retained in the final game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@Jimbo said:

@Xel said:

More than a decade? This game was in development for 5 years...

That is more than a decade in disabled years.

I think you just won this thread.

Zurgfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Zurgfrog

@LordXavierBritish said:

@BraveToaster said:

Disabled women are just easier, yo.

I'm going for the burn victim first. I like my ladies well done.

You just made my day

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#71  Edited By thatfrood

This thread makes me miss KaosAngel. Sort of.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @ThatFrood said:

Really, even sort of? The frown on my face is large.
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#73  Edited By thatfrood

@Zenaxzd said:

@ThatFrood said:

Really, even sort of? The frown on my face is large.

Yeah, not really.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#74  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@ThatFrood said:

No. Don't even joke about such a thing.

Sup fools! I was eating a *insert food item here* and thinking about how much I hate my neighbors when I decided to post on this interwebs. How should we make Hentai games more appealing to the west? I'm into them, so obviously, everyone else is too!

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Animasta

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Animasta said:

He isn't only attracted to crippled girls. He is crippled too, in fact discovering he has Arrhythima when a girl from his old high school tried to confess to him causing him to have a heart attack. This lands him in a hospital bed for several months and eventually has him being forced to attend a school specifically built to cater to disabled students with a 24-hour nursing staff on campus.

Just saying he has arrhythmia does not make him crippled, I have one and it's never affected me for example (though arrhythmia is a large bubble of conditions really)

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Just got it on with Hanako, but I'm not done with her route yet. I assume I'm at least somewhat close to the end though.

Surprisingly, I'm having a lot of fun with the game. I don't think it's world class work or anything, but it's one of those projects where you can feel all the love and effort put into it and that makes you appreciate it all the more. My only gripe though is that I wish there were more choices, but this being a visual novel and all, I can't complain too much.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Hailinel

@Animasta said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Animasta said:

Just saying he has arrhythmia does not make him crippled, I have one and it's never affected me for example (though arrhythmia is a large bubble of conditions really)

The arrhythmia that affects the protagonist of the game is severe enough that he had to spend several months in the hospital following a heart attack and once he gets out, he needs constant care. His health is incredibly fragile.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By N7
    @Hailinel: The only heart he couldn't tame... was his own.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Animasta

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Animasta said:

The arrhythmia that affects the protagonist of the game is severe enough that he had to spend several months in the hospital following a heart attack and once he gets out, he needs constant care. His health is incredibly fragile.

sure I'm just saying that they should call it extreme arrhythmia or something, but I'm just being silly so

also instead of going to this school where anything could startle him into another heart attack, why doesn't he just get home schooled?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Hailinel

@Animasta said:

@Hailinel said:

@Animasta said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Animasta said:

sure I'm just saying that they should call it extreme arrhythmia or something, but I'm just being silly so

also instead of going to this school where anything could startle him into another heart attack, why doesn't he just get home schooled?

His parents thought his attending the school would be the best thing for him. Enrollment there was not his idea. On the other hand, the campus has a twenty-four hour medical staff to watch over him and the other students.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#81  Edited By I_smell
    @Beforet said:

Downloaded it, looked in PDF, checked out options.

Disable Adult Content

God damn just put the kids to bed, would ya?

No that's just a warning for disabled-adult content.
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By I_smell

And by the way internet, taking a handful of real life diseases and pasting cliche anime stereotypes over them like nerdy glasses guy and shy librarian girl and bubblegum princess in short skirts and some pretty hefty knockers is not tasteful. That's even before considering that your choices influence which one you're going to fuck in a cupboard. The writing is not good; it's the same as every other paint-by-numbers Meet 'n' Fuck, and even the one with burnt up skin is pretty hot.

I know nobody here is out-of-their-minds crazy enough to argue that it's a serious game, but I'm just sayin.
    Just so we're all on the same page.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#83  Edited By Ghostiet
    @LordXavierBritish said:

@BraveToaster said:

Disabled women are just easier, yo.

I'm going for the burn victim first. I like my ladies well done.

Fuck you, man, now we're all going to hell because everyone laughed at that line.
    Avatar image for deactivated-59123fe38ab28
    deactivated-59123fe38ab28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The only Visual Novel I've ever had the pleasure of playing was this quaint little title by the name of "A Drug THat Makes You Dream", or something like that, and I thought it was really quite fantastic. How does this compare to that?

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@I_smell said:

I know nobody here is out-of-their-minds crazy enough to argue that it's a serious game, but I'm just sayin. Just so we're all on the same page.

Challenge accepted.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By BoG

@chrismafuchris said:

The only Visual Novel I've ever had the pleasure of playing was this quaint little title by the name of "A Drug THat Makes You Dream", or something like that, and I thought it was really quite fantastic. How does this compare to that?

I played one other anime dating sim game. After finishing "Digital: A Love Story" I looked up its creator and her other works. I found "Don't Take it Personally Babe, This just aint your story." It was so gay that I just stopped playing.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Hailinel

@I_smell said:

And by the way internet, taking a handful of real life diseases and pasting cliche anime stereotypes over them like nerdy glasses guy and shy librarian girl and bubblegum princess in short skirts and some pretty hefty knockers is not tasteful. That's even before considering that your choices influence which one you're going to fuck in a cupboard. The writing is not good; it's the same as every other paint-by-numbers Meet 'n' Fuck, and even the one with burnt up skin is pretty hot. I know nobody here is out-of-their-minds crazy enough to argue that it's a serious game, but I'm just sayin. Just so we're all on the same page.

The game was designed with the design and tropes of the typical visual novel dating sim in mind. That its characters fit into common archetypes should not come as a surprise. Also, your screenshots do little to help your argument without the context in which they're set. It's easy to take a snapshot of anything and use it to paint its subject as an absurdity.

Like this.
    Like this.
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By I_smell

Ok well that first screenshot was in the context of this scene:

The girl on the right is deaf, ssooooo... That's like pretty forward-thinking, right?
     The girl on the right is deaf, ssooooo... That's like pretty forward-thinking, right?
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@I_smell: Deaf AND Mute.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By I_smell
    @LordXavierBritish: Is she definately mute, or does she just not talk because she's deaf?
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@I_smell: She is definitely mute.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Akrid

@I_smell said:

And by the way internet, taking a handful of real life diseases and pasting cliche anime stereotypes over them like nerdy glasses guy and shy librarian girl and bubblegum princess in short skirts and some pretty hefty knockers is not tasteful. That's even before considering that your choices influence which one you're going to fuck in a cupboard. The writing is not good; it's the same as every other paint-by-numbers Meet 'n' Fuck, and even the one with burnt up skin is pretty hot. I know nobody here is out-of-their-minds crazy enough to argue that it's a serious game, but I'm just sayin. Just so we're all on the same page.

The fact that it's cliched doesn't make it not tasteful. I was amazed how well they handled the whole disabled thing, particularly considering the source of this project. They do a really weird thing here in trying to defetishize the fetishes that the game is clearly built upon, and I say good on 'em. And certainly, the writing is bad, but by about a third of the way through, the disabilities took a backseat and I never noticed them again. That, to me, shows that cohesion, vision, and some decent skill were present in making this game. There's a strong and noble message of acceptance here that I was completely amazed to find. There is, in my mind, no better suited word to apply to this game than tasteful, given the subject matter it's tackling.

But yeah, if you want to call this game distasteful for the sex, I can't really fault you on that one. As a whole, pornography is certainly distasteful. But at the same time, there are always shades of grey. Within the range of pornography, what Bocam posted is distasteful. What is actually present in this game is not. Personally, I found the scenes to be fractional to the whole, out of place, and ludicrously unsexy (But maybe I'm just not into this 'Hentai' thing on that one). They're totally unnecessary.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By I_smell
    @Akrid: Would you agree that this game would be a lot better at doing what it (supposedly) aims to do if it were a book, and not an anime hentai dating sim?

Cos I think that'd be the same subject matter handled the same way, but without the upskirt shots.
    ...To be honest I'd still think it was boring cut-n-paste anime writing even at that point, but it'd make the whole thing less embarrassing, right? 
    And probably (although this is a tangential point) about 90% less popular.
    Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Bocam

@chrismafuchris: If you liked that game you should try Cross Channel, It's written by the same guy and is considered one of the bests

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Hailinel

@I_smell said:

@Akrid: Would you agree that this game would be a lot better at doing what it (supposedly) aims to do if it were a book, and not an anime hentai dating sim? Cos I think that'd be the same subject matter handled the same way, but without the upskirt shots. ...To be honest I'd still think it was boring cut-n-paste anime writing even at that point, but it'd make the whole thing less embarrassing, right? And probably (although this is a tangential point) about 90% less popular.

That would be missing the point of the project. Yes, the writing could be better, but given the circumstances under which the game was created, it's remarkable how well it turned out. And if you're embarrassed by playing this game, then that's not the game's problem.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By I_smell

What circumstances? Some 4chan dudes over like 8 years?

Incase you didn't know, MOST games on the internet are made by people who haven't met in real life. The whole web game community is like 90% people collaborating on forums, nothing about this is remarkable.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Hailinel

@I_smell said:

What circumstances? Some 4chan dudes over like 8 years? Incase you didn't know, MOST games on the internet are made by people who haven't met in real life. The whole web game community is like 90% people collaborating on forums, nothing about this is remarkable.

Define most. Seriously, where are your statistics? How big is the average indie development team? How are they organized? What is their funding like? If you can't back up this assertion with hard facts, then you're just being foolish.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By I_smell
    @Hailinel said:

@I_smell said:

The whole web game community is like 90% people collaborating on forums, nothing about this is remarkable.

If you can't back up this assertion with hard facts, then you're just being foolish.

Erm... I make videogames from England with people in the Netherlands and San DIego. This has bin my job for years.
    The guy who made Meat Boy makes every game with people he's never met. Everything from Alien Hominid to Toss The Turtle was made by groups of people over the internet. I went to Minecon and met like 20 other developers who work like this. The guys I'm working with RUN Casual Connect, I can confidently say that most internet games are made by 2 or 3 dudes over Skype. (also I know the mayor of boston)

But this is all way way way off-topic, this is just you asking for credentials- my point is that "given the circumstances" doesn't apply here, and the fact that this game took longer than ONE year is still crazy, and doesn't nullify what's bad about it.
    Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

Thanks for posting! Downloading it now.

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By raviolisumo

Never played one of these before. It's pretty fun.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.