Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Katawa Shoujo

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jan 04, 2012

Katawa Shoujo is a free-to-download dating sim visual novel from Four Leaf Studios. It stands out a bit from other entries in the genre in that the girls in the game all have a disability of some sort.

After more than a decade, it's finally out.

• 198 results
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#101  Edited By Hailinel

@I_smell: I realize you make video games, but your personal experiences don't qualify you to make broad judgements with no solid facts to back it up. Your supposed statistics are made up fallacies.

If you want to continue this conversation, then by all means, lets discuss this in a PM. This thread isn't for you to shit on the work of others you apparently deem your inferior.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#102  Edited By I_smell

To be fair: a group of guys on 4chan making a hentai game for 10 years are EVERYONE's inferior.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#103  Edited By Flappy

@I_smell said:

Ok well that first screenshot was in the context of this scene:
    The girl on the right is deaf, ssooooo... That's like pretty forward-thinking, right?
    The girl on the right is deaf, ssooooo... That's like pretty forward-thinking, right?

I suddenly regret going through Emi's route first.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#104  Edited By AlexanderSheen

I never played dating sims before, but if you guys say it's okay, then I give it a shot.

P.S.: Is this really made by 4chan guys?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Hailinel

@I_smell said:

To be fair: a group of guys on 4chan making a hentai game for 10 years are EVERYONE's inferior.

The group is not directly associated with 4chan. That is only where the initial inspiration and organization took place. You're doing nothing but taking cheap shots. Maybe if you, I don't know, actually explained your opinion in detail without resorting to somehow letting random screenshots argue for you and put forth an intelligent argument that isn't antagonistic in tone, I might take you more seriously. That would be more beneficial to you, me, and everyone else here.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#106  Edited By Cloudenvy

@AlexanderSheen said:

I never played dating sims before, but if you guys say it's okay, then I give it a shot.

P.S.: Is this really made by 4chan guys?

Yupp!

ThePencil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By ThePencil

Holy crap, I havent spent so much time on one of these old style eroge/visual novels since I played Nocturnal Illusion and its ilk way back when in my teenage days. Weird to think thats a decade or so ago.

Just finished Shizune's story, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not the strongest writing, imo but it kept me rapt for around 6 hours (a lot of saving and re-reading chapters) and I enjoyed the charecters (Shizune herself in particular) a helluva lot. The music has enthralled me, and I'm now scouring the net for an OST of some sort (I quite nearly nodded off during some scenes due to the tunes) I think imma gonna replay Shizune's story again, albeit probably turning the 'Adult Content' stuff off, as it t'aint hordly my thing.

/2cents

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

@ThePencil: I've heard Shizune is the worst of the five in terms of writing, although I've yet to verify it myself, though if you enjoyed it it may be that the remaining four will blow your damn mind.
    ThePencil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By ThePencil

@LordXavierBritish said:

@ThePencil: I've heard Shizune is the worst of the five in terms of writing, although I've yet to verify it myself, though if you enjoyed it it may be that the remaining four will blow your damn mind.

Will report back in-case of head a-sploding! *thumbs up* :D

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#110  Edited By raviolisumo

@ThePencil said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

I'm saving her for last because I really really hate her. Accidentally got stuck with LegoLass and thought that entire story was trash but since you CLAIM Shizune is ok I guess I'll have to get to her after Hanako.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Cloudenvy

@Wes899 said:

@ThePencil said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

I'm saving her for last because I really really hate her. Accidentally got stuck with LegoLass and thought that entire story was trash. too but since you CLAIM Shizune is ok I guess I'll have to get to her after Hanako.

I laughed for the majority of Shizune's route just because of how insane it all was to me.

I doubt it was the intended effect, but I enjoyed myself!

ThePencil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By ThePencil

@Wes899 said:

@ThePencil said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

I'm saving her for last because I really really hate her. Accidentally got stuck with LegoLass and thought that entire story was trash. too but since you CLAIM Shizune is ok I guess I'll have to get to her after Hanako.

Best to take it on its own merits duder, different strokes for different folks an aw' that', not by what I thought of it. Hell, I havent tried any of the others yet (a lot of people talking 'bout Hanako though) so the potential for it to get better can only go up for me!

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By raviolisumo

@ThePencil: I wrote that "CLAIM" part very jokingly/casually. I'm sure Shizune is cooly cool. And yeah I guess nerds like quiet/shy girls? I just picked from the rest at random and got her. It's pretty interesting so far.

@Cloudenvy: Does pink hair (Blanking on the name) stick around the entire time?

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#114  Edited By Akrid

@I_smell said:

@Akrid: Would you agree that this game would be a lot better at doing what it (supposedly) aims to do if it were a book, and not an anime hentai dating sim? Cos I think that'd be the same subject matter handled the same way, but without the upskirt shots. ...To be honest I'd still think it was boring cut-n-paste anime writing even at that point, but it'd make the whole thing less embarrassing, right? And probably (although this is a tangential point) about 90% less popular.

Yeah, I'd kinda agree, but still, putting that in this makes for an interesting dynamic. They wouldn't be able to achieve certain things they did through a different medium. As a game designer, I'm sure you can appreciate trying to tackle odd and ill-fitting concepts through games.

And hey, if you don't like cut-n-paste anime writing, this game or anything these guys could have made simply isn't for you. Some people actually do genuinely enjoy that kind of stuff (Including myself, although my tolerance for it is fairly low [believe it or not, this is not the cut-n-paste-y-ist around]) despite it being mindlessly generic and self-indulgent. Those who do enjoy it, and have watched a lot of it's ilk in the past may appreciate the 'western' spin that is unmistakably on this game.

I think popularity is an important point though. Sex sells, and no one here would have played this game without it, despite the fact that a decent amount of us weren't actually looking to get off on it.

Rehtayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Rehtayne

@Akrid said:

I think popularity is an important point though. Sex sells, and no one here would have played this game without it, despite the fact that a decent amount of us weren't actually looking to get off on it.

I definitely cant speak for anyone else, but I played this game only because it advertised an option to turn off the adult content. That and its subject matter lead me to believe that the people who made this game set out to tell a story about a group of characters, not satiate the crude impulses of a man.

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By raviolisumo

@Rehtayne said:

@Akrid said:

I definitely cant speak for anyone else, but I played this game only because it advertised an option to turn off the adult content. That and its subject matter lead me to believe that the people who made this game set out to tell a story about a group of characters, not satiate the crude impulses of a man.

Same here. The content filter was a major reason I was interested.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#117  Edited By BoG

@Wes899 said:

@Rehtayne said:

@Akrid said:

Same here. The content filter was a major reason I was interested.

It's the only reason I downloaded the game, too. I was interested in seeing the portrayal of the characters, without hentai. It's still got way too much dialogue, and is a bit creepy.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @BoG: I dunno, isn't the point of visual novels to do a ton of reading? Or is it dialogue that is useless for one reason or another? I haven't downloaded it myself as I have too much other stuff to play, free or not.
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Turambar
    @I_smell said:

@Akrid: Would you agree that this game would be a lot better at doing what it (supposedly) aims to do if it were a book, and not an anime hentai dating sim?  Cos I think that'd be the same subject matter handled the same way, but without the upskirt shots. ...To be honest I'd still think it was boring cut-n-paste anime writing even at that point, but it'd make the whole thing less embarrassing, right?  And probably (although this is a tangential point) about 90% less popular.

No, not really.  Visual novels and books differ in terms of presentation in pretty basic ways even if both depend heavily on written text.  Also a VN is not a dating sim.  One depends one is story heavy.  The other is stat grinding heavy.  

Would it be less popular if it was not done in an anime style?  It would certainly attract me less, sure since I enjoy that style.  If you're trying to use its anime styling as a measure of quality, I'll just laugh at you and move on.  

Lastly, the idea of it being "embarrassing" speaks far more about you wouldn't you agree, since very few seems to be having any such revulsion to it?  The game itself offers a censored option so I guess any sense of embarrasement comes more from just your inherent dislike for the anime style than anything else?

If you want a point of embarrassment, at least point out the most obvious: that the term "Katawa" is a derogatory term for the disabled in Japanese and is more akin to "retarded" in English than "disabled."  Then again, Four Leaf has also made a lengthy statement on how they came to use that title, their recognition of its meaning in Japanese culture, and their reason for keeping it, so I guess even that is a non-issue.
    Avatar image for deactivated-63e39f84edec3
    deactivated-63e39f84edec3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@longtimenosiege said:

No Caption Provided

I'll just leave this here.

I think this pretty much sums it up indeed.

I gotta say I tried it really out of curiosity but then became really attached to the characters, especially Lilly. The story is great, I enjoy going trough the different routes and seeing all the subtles changes that Hisao the protagonist brings depending on which he falls in love with.

Heartwarming to say the least and quite suprised at the quality knowing the reputation of the people that made it. Defenately a must try to anyone with a remote interest, you don,t have much to lose...it's freeeee

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#121  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Hmm... I will try it out. No need for the content filter but you get the idea.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#122  Edited By eroticfishcake

I already mentioned my thoughts about this in another thread but I'll just copy/paste it here as well.

"I've only played about three VNs in my life and I've got to say this is one of the better ones (which isn't saying a lot really). Despite the context of it all it's really well written and presented. You can really tell the five years weren't wasted in it. Contrary to what most people may think the disabilities of the characters aren't fetishized at all. In fact, it's not even a major issue though it is an important aspect to character and story development.

Having said that it's definitely not for everyone given the bad rep VNs have let alone one about disabled girls. But that's what I like about it, it's honest and maturely produced. That's my take on it anyway. If you don't want to "play" it then that's totally fine by me. But if you're dissing it from face value then you're probably a lot shallower then you think. That's my two cents on the whole situation anyway."

It's a bit of a hard sell but if you don't mind the anime look and enjoy a good story then I really suggest you try it out. The sex scenes aren't terribly explicit but I guess that varies to some people. Doubly so when it comes to anime nature of it all. Guess it depends on how prudish you are.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By TehFlan

So it's a game about having sex with disabled high school chicks made by a group of dudes from 4 chan? 
    I think I'll pass.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Doctorchimp

@TehFlan said:

So it's a game about having sex with disabled high school chicks made by a group of dudes from 4 chan? I think I'll pass.

You're just missing out on so much though.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Hailinel

@Doctorchimp said:

@TehFlan said:

So it's a game about having sex with disabled high school chicks made by a group of dudes from 4 chan? I think I'll pass.

You're both ignorant.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Hailinel said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@TehFlan said:

You're both ignorant.

You take things too seriously.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Hailinel

@Doctorchimp said:

@Hailinel said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@TehFlan said:

You're both ignorant.

That does nothing to disprove my statement.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Hailinel said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@Hailinel said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@TehFlan said:

You're both ignorant.

Wouldn't taking something seriously on a videogame forum kind of make you ignorant too?

I was just pointing out it's redundant to point out anything.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Hailinel

@Doctorchimp said:

@Hailinel said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@Hailinel said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@TehFlan said:

You're both ignorant.

Wouldn't taking something seriously on a videogame forum kind of make you ignorant too?

Not really. It just means I take something seriously. Taking something seriously does not share an inherent cause/effect relationship with ignorance. In fact, I would argue that taking something seriously actually promotes a lack of ignorance, as it means I'm serious enough about something to learn about it before making snarky, snide comments about something I don't understand.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Hailinel said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@Hailinel said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@Hailinel said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@TehFlan said:

You're both ignorant.

Not really. It just means I take something seriously. Taking something seriously does not share an inherent cause/effect relationship with ignorance. In fact, I would argue that taking something seriously actually promotes a lack of ignorance, as it means I'm serious enough about something to learn about it before making snarky, snide comments about something I don't understand.

No you're right, continue to make snide snarky comments on snide snarky comments.

You're serious I get it.

LordJezo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By LordJezo

It's a shame this thread is so buried and away from the regular forums.

Someone should edit the title too in order to get more people excited.

Avatar image for deactivated-63e39f84edec3
    deactivated-63e39f84edec3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TehFlan said:

There is an element somewhere in there about that but I feel it is much more than that.

If it's your only goal tough you will miss out.

Think of it as a choose your own adventure book.

yetiantics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 4

#133  Edited By yetiantics

I NEVER play these kinds of storybook japanese ero games.

So it goes without saying I dont know if theres better or worse ones out there, but I think its pretty good. I agree that this game is a lot more than "BONING CRIPPLE CHICKS DURRRRR"

Rehtayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Rehtayne

Finished playing through all of the stories a while ago, and I can't help but feel slightly disappointed. The sex scenes, even when content blocked, just really don't fit the rest of the story. I spent hours reading, getting to know who these characters are, and what makes them tick. And then they turn around, completely ignore their identities, and throw themselves at Hisao like it's the only way to survive. It felt like every single one of the events were forced, and I can't help but wonder at the numerous ways the writers could have replaced the scenes and yet still have maintained or even surpassed the emotional experience they were trying to convey. Maybe I'm missing the point here, I don't know.

Regardless, I can't ignore the rest of the said hours of reading, which were actually quite enjoyable. Learning about characters I thought I would hate, but came to appreciate. Experiencing the emotional twists and turns as each one grew closer or further apart. Listening to the soundtrack that aptly conveyed the tone of the atmosphere, while also being surprisingly calming. And those Act 2 introduction animations were simply great. I don't know how it compares to other games in the genre, but I can definitely say I have few in the way of regrets after investing my time in it.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By CaptainCody

I think I have to play this to understand VNs better and because I was partly involved with the shitfest of threads on it.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#136  Edited By Undeadpool

@Video_Game_King said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@BraveToaster said:

Disabled women are just easier, yo.

I'm going for the burn victim first. I like my ladies well done.

I like my women like I like my sandwiches: meaty, between two slices of white bread, and smeared in peanut butter.

I like my women like I like my coffee: ground up and in my refrigerator,

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#137  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Undeadpool said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@BraveToaster said:

I like my women like I like my sandwiches: meaty, between two slices of white bread, and smeared in peanut butter.

I like my women like I like my soda: bubbly, brown, and bad for my teeth.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By CaptainCody

@ArbitraryWater said:

@ThatFrood said:

This thread makes me miss KaosAngel. Sort of.

No. Don't even joke about such a thing.

Sup fools! I was eating a *insert food item here* and thinking about how much I hate my neighbors when I decided to post on this interwebs. How should we make Hentai games more appealing to the west? I'm into them, so obviously, everyone else is too!

Too lazy to check if I'm double posting. I love you for this post and I am immensely happy someone finally took that guy out.

TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By TehFlan
    @Narx said:

Think of it as a choose your own adventure book.

This does not sell me on the quality of the game.  

@Hailinel: While I will admit to my ignorance having not played the game, I am somewhat curious as to which part of my statement is incorrect. Is your goal in the game not to hook up with the high school girls?
    Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#140  Edited By Dagbiker
    @Video_Game_King

@Undeadpool said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@BraveToaster said:

I like my women like I like my soda: bubbly, brown, and bad for my teeth.

I dont even know what that last part means.
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Dagbiker:

Then you haven't truly done some heavy drinking lived.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#142  Edited By Dagbiker

Also, woman with no legs cant run away.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#143  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@Rehtayne said:

Finished playing through all of the stories a while ago, and I can't help but feel slightly disappointed. The sex scenes, even when content blocked, just really don't fit the rest of the story. I spent hours reading, getting to know who these characters are, and what makes them tick. And then they turn around, completely ignore their identities, and throw themselves at Hisao like it's the only way to survive. It felt like every single one of the events were forced, and I can't help but wonder at the numerous ways the writers could have replaced the scenes and yet still have maintained or even surpassed the emotional experience they were trying to convey. Maybe I'm missing the point here, I don't know.

Regardless, I can't ignore the rest of the said hours of reading, which were actually quite enjoyable. Learning about characters I thought I would hate, but came to appreciate. Experiencing the emotional twists and turns as each one grew closer or further apart. Listening to the soundtrack that aptly conveyed the tone of the atmosphere, while also being surprisingly calming. And those Act 2 introduction animations were simply great. I don't know how it compares to other games in the genre, but I can definitely say I have few in the way of regrets after investing my time in it.

My thoughts exactly. I really like the actual characters and story and while, like I've said before, it's not world class material, it's certainly a pleasant experience to say the least. I've only done one route so far and the sex scene just felt awkward and I honestly could've done without it. It feels like it's there solely for the purpose of calling it a eroge/hentai game when it could have otherwise just been a great VN.

If this was like your normal, sub-par ecchi anime with characters showing off their underwear every chance they get with the main character stumbling into stupid situations then maybe those sex scenes wouldn't feel out of place, but this had none of that so the 'end result' was sort of a "Wha-?" moment for me.

In any case, it's fun, beautiful, full of heart, and definitely a pleasant start to my gaming year.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Dagbiker said:

Also, woman with no legs cant run away.

But they can't spread their legs, either. Or do doggy style. Women without legs are overrated.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Ravenlight

I checked out Katawa Shoujo because a couple friends were joking about it. I was caught completely off-guard at how not-terrible it is.

Considering the origin of the game, I expected fucked-up sex0r with disabled chicks. While the hentai scenes seem to actually be the game's weakest part, they're by no means awful in the way I expected (read /d/ sometime and you'll get the picture).

@BabyChooChoo said:

@Rehtayne said:

You two duders seem to be taking this thread seriously: Can you recommend any other well-written and/or tasteful VNs?

Avatar image for bam_d_leprechaun
    Bam_D_Leprechaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh my. as someone who loved the old school japanese porn games, i ought to give this a try.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#147  Edited By BabyChooChoo

@Ravenlight: Clannad is the only one that immediately comes to mind. I tried it out after I watched all of the anime/specials so since I knew most of what was going to happen (regarding what could be called the main heroine), I never could get into it. That said, if you wanna talk tasteful, then it doesn't get much better than this as it's main purpose is story and characters and nothing else. No ecchi bs and no pointless sex scenes (or any sex at all for that matter). Just good ol' VN greatness.

edit: oh yeah, Rumbling Hearts was another good one. i'll just say right off the bat, it feels a lot more 'soap opera-y' due to a few key events, but I still enjoyed it. It has a few sex scenes as well, but they actually made sense in the context of the story

edit2: uhhhh be careful if you decide to go with Rumbling Hearts lol. Apparently it has quite a few really bad, really disturbing endings that I didn't even know where there. I still think the 'good' endings are still good, but damn...after reading about those bad ones I'm just glad I managed to avoid em.

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Aus_azn

@CaptainCody said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

@ThatFrood said:

This thread makes me miss KaosAngel. Sort of.

No. Don't even joke about such a thing.

Sup fools! I was eating a *insert food item here* and thinking about how much I hate my neighbors when I decided to post on this interwebs. How should we make Hentai games more appealing to the west? I'm into them, so obviously, everyone else is too!

Too lazy to check if I'm double posting. I love you for this post and I am immensely happy someone finally took that guy out.

Yeah, what happened to him? I've been a bit out of the loop, and I remember him making quite a nuisance of himself on the forums. Was he banned?

By the way, I'm at act 4 of Shizune, after being too neutral on my first playthrough and getting the forever alone ending.

If people are saying that this is the shittiest ending, then how ridiculously good are the other ones?
    Avatar image for bam_d_leprechaun
    Bam_D_Leprechaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well, an hour or so into it, i like it. It's been awhile since i "played" one of these.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Hailinel

@Aus_azn: As far as I've been told, KaosAngel is currently serving in the U.S. military. Though to be honest, given his penchant for...exaggeration and stretching of the truth, I honestly don't know. What I do know is that shortly before he vanished, he was incredibly worried about needing to delete his Giant Bomb blog posts for some reason and tried asking people on the forum how to do it before figuring it out himself. As you can imagine, he never elaborated on why.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.