Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killzone 2

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 27, 2009

Take the fight to the Helghast in this first person shooter from Guerrilla Games.

Killzone 2: creatively bankrupt

jonnyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By jonnyp

I know it comes off as elitist and oh so against the grain to voice negative opinions of popular games, and believe me, I don't want to be that guy.  There have been plenty 'o popular games that I have absolutely loved despite their mainstream status.  Unfortunately, Killzone 2 isn't one of those games.  Being part of the online fandom saturated with KZ2 hype from E3 2005, I was all but ready to ignore the title - that is, until about a month before its release when footage and reviews started popping up around the web.  From what I'd seen and read from various outlets, Killzone 2 was a day one purchase.  And it was.  But after a few hours of jaunting through monochromatic war zones, listening to prodigious steroid-ridden one-dimensional dialog, and struggling with inaccurate controls, Killzone revealed its true self to me: a retail focus test wrapped in beautiful packaging and laced with derivation.  

But again, to be fair, there have been plenty of games anyone could claim fit that description that I have thoroughly enjoyed.  Take EA's Dead Space for example.  That game did very little original, but in the end it was a tight and well executed experience.  I feel Killzone comes up short in this regard as it feels so forced and tangibly predetermined to deliver what is ultimately a known quantity - which again, isn't necessarily a bad thing - but given it's development time and production values, I was hoping for a more gratifying experience.  This is not to say that Killzone 2 has no redeemable qualities.  It's campaign is pretty well developed, the visuals are stunning, the gunplay is decent despite the controls being reminiscent of someone playing doom in a pool of jello, and the multiplayer is genuinely fun.  But again, I can't shake the slightly dirty feeling of playing a game so focused on being everything that sells, it becomes more of an advertisement than an interactive experience.  Does that make it any less satisfying for those who enjoy it?  Of course not.  But there is a reason why I don't watch television anymore, and that same reason left me not enjoying my time with Killzone 2.
    jonnyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jonnyp

I know it comes off as elitist and oh so against the grain to voice negative opinions of popular games, and believe me, I don't want to be that guy.  There have been plenty 'o popular games that I have absolutely loved despite their mainstream status.  Unfortunately, Killzone 2 isn't one of those games.  Being part of the online fandom saturated with KZ2 hype from E3 2005, I was all but ready to ignore the title - that is, until about a month before its release when footage and reviews started popping up around the web.  From what I'd seen and read from various outlets, Killzone 2 was a day one purchase.  And it was.  But after a few hours of jaunting through monochromatic war zones, listening to prodigious steroid-ridden one-dimensional dialog, and struggling with inaccurate controls, Killzone revealed its true self to me: a retail focus test wrapped in beautiful packaging and laced with derivation.  

But again, to be fair, there have been plenty of games anyone could claim fit that description that I have thoroughly enjoyed.  Take EA's Dead Space for example.  That game did very little original, but in the end it was a tight and well executed experience.  I feel Killzone comes up short in this regard as it feels so forced and tangibly predetermined to deliver what is ultimately a known quantity - which again, isn't necessarily a bad thing - but given it's development time and production values, I was hoping for a more gratifying experience.  This is not to say that Killzone 2 has no redeemable qualities.  It's campaign is pretty well developed, the visuals are stunning, the gunplay is decent despite the controls being reminiscent of someone playing doom in a pool of jello, and the multiplayer is genuinely fun.  But again, I can't shake the slightly dirty feeling of playing a game so focused on being everything that sells, it becomes more of an advertisement than an interactive experience.  Does that make it any less satisfying for those who enjoy it?  Of course not.  But there is a reason why I don't watch television anymore, and that same reason left me not enjoying my time with Killzone 2.
    mcwingstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mcwingstar

Yeah, I suppose I agree. COD 4, one of my favorite games of 07, didn't really bring anything strictly "new" to the table, and was built to sell. It was just badass-well-done and endless fun. How would you compare those two games in terms or originality?

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By ArchScabby
    alex_the_javo said:
    "Yeah, I suppose I agree. COD 4, one of my favorite games of 07, didn't really bring anything strictly "new" to the table, and was built to sell. It was just badass-well-done and endless fun. How would you compare those two games in terms or originality?
    "
    I think COD4 had some pretty great ideas for multiplayer that changed how pretty much everyone does (or at least tries) to do their online components.  Killzone 2 even has does a lot of things they probably picked up from COD 4. 
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TwoOneFive

i thought killzone 2's campaign was one of the best i've ever played, despite the fact that it didnt have a bunch of new shit. but i think thats a load of horseshit everytime some internet geek says that. killzone 2 has great great intense and well paced gameplay with outstanding graphics. thats all that matters to me in an fps, and the online is mad addictive. 

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By DJ_Lae

It's yet another generic sci-fi shooter in a sea of generic sci-fi shooters. Yeah, I've gotten burned out on them and Killzone 2's late arrival causes me to be more harsh than I otherwise would, but I agree that the game does absolutely nothing special other than look pretty in a miniskirt.

I mean, a few tweaks to the control and level design and graphics and Haze could have been a Killzone 2 killer. Or Resistance 2. Oh man, I'm so not tired of taking the role of space marine X and shooting aliens and/or enemy space marines in a setting of concrete and girders.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

alex_the_javo said:
    "Yeah, I suppose I agree. COD 4, one of my favorite games of 07, didn't really bring anything strictly "new" to the table, and was built to sell. It was just badass-well-done and endless fun. How would you compare those two games in terms or originality?
    "
    COD4 had amazing and wholly original set pieces.
    Everything from the first person assassination to dying in the fallout of a nuclear explosion to the clinical coldness of killing people from a gunship to the utterly tense stealth mission in the gully suit to the end where you're pinned to the ground seeing your team executed before you were all some of the strongest parts of a FPS ever both in a gameplay and narrative sense.

Killzone 2 is a great shooter with some original mechanics, but no really original ideas and a derivative narrative. Hell I'd even go as far as saying atrocious.

As much as I like the game, it really isn't THAT compelling. But I can absolutely see where you're coming from. It smacks a bit of a marketing team at a desk going
    "So what sells nowadays?"
    "Space marines, shooting, swearing and WWII sir."
    " Well, you know what to do gentlemen."
    Maybe it's just my Street Fighter IV frenzy, but I kinda gotta struggle to want to play more of it.
    Shadow2K6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Shadow2K6
    TwoOneFive said:
    "i thought killzone 2's campaign was one of the best i've ever played, despite the fact that it didnt have a bunch of new shit. but i think thats a load of horseshit everytime some internet geek says that. killzone 2 has great great intense and well paced gameplay with outstanding graphics. thats all that matters to me in an fps, and the online is mad addictive. "
    I Agree.

Theres actually a video where one of the developers from Bethesda was talking about Killzone 2's reviews.  Basically said its a lot harder for a game that does nothing new to score well then a game that tries to innovate that does well (since there is no standard for the innovation).  I agree I think that says something when Killzone 2 gets great reviews when it does nothing new.  Innovation isn't always great, a lot of times it turns out into a gimmick.  I also loved Killzone 2 so far. 

You can argue its generic but in a sense isn't every FPS (except Deus Ex) generic?  Halo and CoD for example didn't really bring much to the table gameplay wise that wasn't already there from other console FPS and PC FPS. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shadow2K6 said:
     I agree I think that says something when Killzone 2 gets great reviews when it does nothing new. 
    I don't necessarily agree. Gears Of War 2 got stellar reviews too, and much like Killzone 2 it didn't do anything particularly new.
    It just did what it did pretty damn good and there's something to be said for that.

What I take away from the blog post is that while Killzone 2 is a good game it's still stuck in the quagmire of space marines telling the enemy to fuck off while blowing caps in them. A noble and entertaining endeavor if there ever was one in videogames, but on a whole it feels slightly hollow.
    I kinda cringe when people compare it to something like COD4, cause in my opinion the Halos, Gears Of Wars and Killzones of the world will never be able to match the gravitas of something severely rooted in reality if they're comparable in quality.
    Play that gunship level in COD4 and then go on youtube and look at some footage from a real gunship. Kinda makes your stomach churn.

It's a shame I have to keep reitirating this to get the point across that I DON'T HATE KILLZONE 2, I LIKE IT! but I personally got more out of Flower and Noby Noby Boy on my PS3 last month. Then again, it may just be me suffering from shooter fatigue.
    Dovey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9  Edited By Dovey

This game has presented us with a dilema as to whether you see a glass half-full or half empty.  I myself have no idea where I'm at with the matter because I do agree withe everything you say about it jonnyp.  However, I can see that Killzone, whilst they may not have had any innvative concepts, have improved some aspects of the FPS genre that you can see others borrowing from this game in future.  The environments and level design to me seem uninspired but unlike many fps, the entire environment comes into play, as enemies can come from what is seemingly anywhere, This is unlike others where you have a lot of generic builidings but neither you nor you enemy can access them, just making them decorations.  But as I said it is a half full, half empty dilema.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Jayge_
    ArchScabby said:
    "alex_the_javo said:
    "
    I think COD4 had some pretty great ideas for multiplayer that changed how pretty much everyone does (or at least tries) to do their online components.  Killzone 2 even has does a lot of things they probably picked up from COD 4. 
    "
    CoD4 did absolutely nothing new, especially for multiplayer.

It did (as Teflon said) have fucking awesome setpieces though.
    PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PowerSerj

I've only played about an hour of the campaign so far, and that may be all I play. For some reason, over the years I've lost the will to play FPS campaigns. I've barely started CoD4's campaign, let alone finish it. For me, the FPS experience is 100% about the online, and KZ2 satiates that need very well.

SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12  Edited By SpinCookie

I would usually agree with control complaints, but I'm kind of getting used to it.  And not to make it a cop out, but I kind of like that it's hard to control (read: different) it kind of mixes it up and makes it not feel like every other shooter.  Because the controls felt so strange right away it didn't make it feel like a re skinned COD4 or Halo, and I kind of liked that...a lot.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By get2sammyb

I agree that the narrative is dull as fuck but if you put that aside I think Killzone does everything it set out to do. I don't think anyone can deny it's absolutely action-packed from start to finish (I'd struggle to think of a moment when the screen wasn't littered with 'woah ok' moments), I think it has some brilliant setpieces; maybe not quite at the CoD4 level but somewhere around there. It does nothing new, and I agree I'm ABSOLUTELY burned out on this type of game for now, but I don't think you should take away from KZ the fact that everything it does (apart from storytelling) it does it pretty high up on the scale of "very good".

If KZ2 came out maybe 18 months ago, I think it would be getting a very, very, very different reception (which is actually positive - I just mean this frosty "played it all before" stuff).

I personally thought the single player was excellent from a gameplay stance. The story, did pick up VERY slightly in the last two levels.

Someone on these forums mentioned they wished you played as the Helghast -- which while conceptually would still be quite generic, I think those characters are far more interesting.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Randolph
    TwoOneFive said:
    "i thought killzone 2's campaign was one of the best i've ever played, despite the fact that it didnt have a bunch of new shit. but i think thats a load of horseshit everytime some internet geek says that. killzone 2 has great great intense and well paced gameplay with outstanding graphics. thats all that matters to me in an fps, and the online is mad addictive. "
    Agreed.  Net nerds are the only people I ever hear waxing philosophical about "TEH INNOVASHUN" when it comes to gaming.  Of course a lot of these same people flocked to the Wii, and wet themselves over new Mario Kart and Smash Bros. games, which are nothing but Gamecube titles with slightly better graphics and online, the same things they bash other games for being.  In person, these questions of originality and innovation are never heard of, just whether it is fun or not fun.  Those are people with their heads screwed on right, who don't treat gaming like a life style.
    jcd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jcd

I do hear what you are saying and do look for some more originality in games but there is something to be said for a game like Killzone 2 that just nails the feeling of shooting. Maybe its just the well designed weapons or the amazing sound design or even the way the enemy soldiers react when being shot but something about that games shooting just feels spot on.

DevilishSix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DevilishSix
    TeflonBilly said:
    "Shadow2K6 said:
     I agree I think that says something when Killzone 2 gets great reviews when it does nothing new. 
    I don't necessarily agree. Gears Of War 2 got stellar reviews too, and much like Killzone 2 it didn't do anything particularly new.
    It just did what it did pretty damn good and there's something to be said for that.

What I take away from the blog post is that while Killzone 2 is a good game it's still stuck in the quagmire of space marines telling the enemy to fuck off while blowing caps in them. A noble and entertaining endeavor if there ever was one in videogames, but on a whole it feels slightly hollow.
    I kinda cringe when people compare it to something like COD4, cause in my opinion the Halos, Gears Of Wars and Killzones of the world will never be able to match the gravitas of something severely rooted in reality if they're comparable in quality.
    Play that gunship level in COD4 and then go on youtube and look at some footage from a real gunship. Kinda makes your stomach churn.

It's a shame I have to keep reitirating this to get the point across that I DON'T HATE KILLZONE 2, I LIKE IT! but I personally got more out of Flower and Noby Noby Boy on my PS3 last month. Then again, it may just be me suffering from shooter fatigue.
    "
    I have to really disagree that Gears of War 2 has done nothing new.  It took the old (and pretty much forgotten) survival mode concept in gaming and made it fun again with Horde Mode.  Horde Mode was made a marketing sell point for Gears 2 for nearly a year before launch.  Now I see everyone jumping on the band wagon with their own version, World at War has Nazi zombies, Saints Row 2 has Zombie Uprising, and L4D has announced a free survival mode DLC. 

I have played the Killzone 2 demo and although its pretty and shiney, I still felt underwhelmed, granted 10 minutes was way to short for a demo to sell a game.  I did notice a skirmish mode whitch I assume is the online with bots?  Thats nice and all but I see no bonus content for replay value here that say a Horde mode offers?  I really hate to compare the two but being the "in the now" shooters for both PS3 and X360 platforms, I have to say Killzone 2's first impression from a buyers point of view is lacking.  For instance Gears 2 has single player solo and co-op, Online multiplayer is offline with bots or online, and Horde Mode is solo or 5 player co-op.

Killzone 2 almost seems stripped down, I expected alot more for a game that was in developement for twice as long as Gears 2 but has less content.  What took 4 years to make here you have a weak sauce story (majority of reviews state this), you have few multiplayer maps (what is it 8), and no co-op?  That is WTF worthy in my book.  It almost feels like they spent all their time on a game engine and graphics to save face on that 2005 E3 target video, then added in a multiplayer mode based on the charcter based online Team Fortress 2 offered in November 2007 and shipped the game out.   I expected ALOT more from the most expense game in history, allegedly.

I do like the Chacter Based concept for KZ2's online much like Team Fortress 2 has......so I may pick up Killzone 2, but the marketing of what it offers, the gameplay I have seen, and the demo just have not been blow up skirt worthy.
    jcd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jcd
    DevilishSix said:
    "TeflonBilly said:
    "Shadow2K6 said:

"
    I have to really disagree that Gears of War 2 has done nothing new.  It took the old (and pretty much forgotten) survival mode concept in gaming and made it fun again with Horde Mode.  Horde Mode was made a marketing sell point for Gears 2 for nearly a year before launch.  Now I see everyone jumping on the band wagon with their own version, World at War has Nazi zombies, Saints Row 2 has Zombie Uprising, and L4D has announced a free survival mode DLC. 

I have played the Killzone 2 demo and although its pretty and shiney, I still felt underwhelmed, granted 10 minutes was way to short for a demo to sell a game.  I did notice a skirmish mode whitch I assume is the online with bots?  But I see no bonus content for replay value here that say a Horde mode offers?  I do like the Chacter Based concept for KZ2 much like Team Fortress 2 has......so I may pick up Killzone 2, but the marketing of what it offes, the gameplay I have seen, and the demo just have not been blow up skirt worthy.
    "

Do not base your opinion of Killzone on the the demo I played the demo before picking it up and was really not that impressed. I don't know how early that demo was but the retail game feels a lot better and looks better to me overall. And you will get plenty of replay value from the multiplayer component of the game which will most defenitly keep people coming back to it for a long time.
    DevilishSix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DevilishSix
    JCD said:
    "DevilishSix said:
    "TeflonBilly said:
    "Shadow2K6 said:

"

I have played the Killzone 2 demo and although its pretty and shiney, I still felt underwhelmed, granted 10 minutes was way to short for a demo to sell a game.  I did notice a skirmish mode whitch I assume is the online with bots?  But I see no bonus content for replay value here that say a Horde mode offers?  I do like the Chacter Based concept for KZ2 much like Team Fortress 2 has......so I may pick up Killzone 2, but the marketing of what it offes, the gameplay I have seen, and the demo just have not been blow up skirt worthy.
    "

Do not base your opinion of Killzone on the the demo I played the demo before picking it up and was really not that impressed. I don't know how early that demo was but the retail game feels a lot better and looks better to me overall. And you will get plenty of replay value from the multiplayer component of the game which will most defenitly keep people coming back to it for a long time."
    You should go back and read the two extra paragraphs I added on my original post on why my potential buyers impression is lacking for this game,
    jonnyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jonnyp
    Randolph said:
    "TwoOneFive said:
    Agreed.  Net nerds are the only people I ever hear waxing philosophical about "TEH INNOVASHUN" when it comes to gaming.  Of course a lot of these same people flocked to the Wii, and wet themselves over new Mario Kart and Smash Bros. games, which are nothing but Gamecube titles with slightly better graphics and online, the same things they bash other games for being.  In person, these questions of originality and innovation are never heard of, just whether it is fun or not fun.  Those are people with their heads screwed on right, who don't treat gaming like a life style.
    "
    If your going to post, read the blog.  I appreciate your oppinions but note: Nowhere in my blog do I mention "teh innovashun" let alone any comparison to the Wii.  In fact, I don't even own a Wii.  I don't think Killzone 2 is a bad game, it just left me feeling dirty like I just watched 8 hours of Fox News.
    Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By Phished0ne

I enjoy this game, but being a ps3 owner i really didnt have a chance to play games like Gears, so this is great for me, an amazing "sci-fi" style fps that manages to be entertaning, have great graphics and game-play that will keep me coming back for as long as i keep it from gamefly(read as: FOREVER)

Also, i like killing Nazis, even if they are Faux-alien-nazis..(unsupprisingly the game i had before this from gamefly was COD:World At War)

But this may supprise some of you..the thing i love the most about Killzone? THE CONTROLS! finally a game that puts a "gun" in your hand, and actually gives that gun weight, like it should have. I personally applaud Geurilla Games for trying something different with the controls, and i give them a standing O for dealing with the myriad of shit they are catching for it at the Killzone forum. 

i close with this

Innovation: Something new or different introduced

Everyone says KZ2 does nothing different creatively(but what game does now-a-days besides standouts like Flower and Noby Noby Boy) , but no one thinks about the risk they took making a game that dosent control like a "typical arcade-style" FPS.

I am not saying that comment to the poster of this blog, because he did mention it in his post, but so many people have slagged on Killzone for not being "innovative", but i concider drasticly changing the way a shooter handles  innovating, albeit a very small change.
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By JoelTGM
    ArchScabby said:
    "alex_the_javo said:
    "
    I think COD4 had some pretty great ideas for multiplayer that changed how pretty much everyone does (or at least tries) to do their online components.  Killzone 2 even has does a lot of things they probably picked up from COD 4.  "
    I don't know what the first game ever to put ranks and unlocks in a shooter, but I know rainbow six vegas did it before COD4, and they did it better too, allowing you to completely customize your soldier. 
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Diamond

I think Killzone 2 is the best FPS I've played in a long time.  The storyline stuff doesn't bother me in a game sense, that's not why I play action games.  It does innovate somewhat, it's about par for the 'new game' level of innovation.  I just wish the MP was as refined as it was interesting.

BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23  Edited By BawlZINmotion

The biggest thing with Killzone 2 for me is it puts a lot of the things I like about other shooters into one pot (multi-player), and I think it works. I also really enjoy how the game feels when playing it. As for everything else, nothing really shocking. It's a good game but it doesn't revolutionize the genre, nor was it supposed to. All the hype was centred around how it looked and I think it has fulfilled that.

Phished0ne said:

"But this may supprise some of you..the thing i love the most about Killzone? THE CONTROLS! finally a game that puts a "gun" in your hand, and actually gives that gun weight, like it should have. I personally applaud Geurilla Games for trying something different with the controls, and i give them a standing O for dealing with the myriad of shit they are catching for it at the Killzone forum."
    Yeah dude, it took a little bit to get comfortable with but now I'm totally in the groove.

DOUBLESHOCK said:
    "I don't know what the first game ever to put ranks and unlocks in a shooter, but I know rainbow six vegas did it before COD4, and they did it better too, allowing you to completely customize your soldier. "
    Battlefield 2 did it in 2005.
    Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Phished0ne

Also, as talked about on the Bombcast, what about playing a game where you arent the hero?, that should at least count for something...most games you in a character that is the star, KZ puts you in the shoes of a grunt. 

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JoelTGM
    Chainblast said:
    "The biggest thing with Killzone 2 for me is it puts a lot of the things I like about other shooters into one pot (multi-player), and I think it works. I also really enjoy how the game feels when playing it. As for everything else, nothing really shocking. It's a good game but it doesn't revolutionize the genre, nor was it supposed to. All the hype was centred around how it looked and I think it has fulfilled that.

Phished0ne said:
    "But this may supprise some of you..the thing i love the most about Killzone? THE CONTROLS! finally a game that puts a "gun" in your hand, and actually gives that gun weight, like it should have. I personally applaud Geurilla Games for trying something different with the controls, and i give them a standing O for dealing with the myriad of shit they are catching for it at the Killzone forum."
    Yeah dude, it took a little bit to get comfortable with but now I'm totally in the groove.

DOUBLESHOCK said:
    "I don't know what the first game ever to put ranks and unlocks in a shooter, but I know rainbow six vegas did it before COD4, and they did it better too, allowing you to completely customize your soldier. "
    Battlefield 2 did it in 2005."
    oh jeez I forgot about BF2.  I remember that, but the game didn't rely on it as much.  COD4 seemed to have built it's entire game around ranks and unlocks.  World at War moved the cap up to 65 because they knew a big reason people play is to rank up and unlock stuff.
    BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BawlZINmotion
    DOUBLESHOCK said:
    "oh jeez I forgot about BF2.  I remember that, but the game didn't rely on it as much.  COD4 seemed to have built it's entire game around ranks and unlocks.  World at War moved the cap up to 65 because they knew a big reason people play is to rank up and unlock stuff."
    Yes it's true, CoD4 took ranking/unlocking in an FPS to a whole new level and it's the single most thing I think that game can be credited with progressing in the genre. But like almost every other FPS out there, nothing done in CoD4 was entirely new, just really really refined. Though in the end it doesn't matter so long as the player is having fun, and people seem to really dig CoD4.
    ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By ttocs
    Chainblast said:
    "DOUBLESHOCK said:
    "oh jeez I forgot about BF2.  I remember that, but the game didn't rely on it as much.  COD4 seemed to have built it's entire game around ranks and unlocks.  World at War moved the cap up to 65 because they knew a big reason people play is to rank up and unlock stuff."
    Yes it's true, CoD4 took ranking/unlocking in an FPS to a whole new level and it's the single most thing I think that game can be credited with progressing in the genre. But like almost every other FPS out there, nothing done in CoD4 was entirely new, just really really refined. Though in the end it doesn't matter so long as the player is having fun, and people seem to really dig CoD4."
    I agree, but I see Killzone 2 as a progression much like CoD4 did.  Instead of staying with the tried and true method, they went with something different.  I see Killzone 2 multiplayer as a mix of CoD4 and Team Fortress 2 (like a lot of reviews are saying).  I think Killzone 2 multiplayer is going to have a lot of staying power.  It's not going to make people put down their 360 controller and come to the dark side, but it will make a lot of PS3 owners happy for quite some time.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Randolph
    jonnyp said:
    "If your going to post, read the blog.  I appreciate your oppinions but note: Nowhere in my blog do I mention "teh innovashun" let alone any comparison to the Wii.  In fact, I don't even own a Wii.  I don't think Killzone 2 is a bad game, it just left me feeling dirty like I just watched 8 hours of Fox News."
    I was responding to the others guys comments, not you.  I have no interest in your opinion at all, that reply just caught my eye as something I agree with in general.
    BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By BigBoss1911

The game is fun as hell,and its MUCH better than halo 3.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By crunchUK
    BigBoss1911 said:
    "The game is fun as hell,and its MUCH better than halo 3."
    since im pretty much labelled as the resident halo fanboy (even thought it's always a halo hater who always brings up halo, present case included) its my duty to say no u
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By Shadow

I don't watch television anymore because my cable line is hooked up to my modem and I'm too damn lazy to plug it into the TV instead.  Besides, online tv is fine.  I can find any good show out there now (Lost....that's it).  But still, Killzone 2 are fun.  Me shoot, enemy die, pretty game, me like play pretty game.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TwoOneFive
    TeflonBilly said:
    "alex_the_javo said:
    "
    COD4 had amazing and wholly original set pieces.Everything from the first person assassination to dying in the fallout of a nuclear explosion to the clinical coldness of killing people from a gunship to the utterly tense stealth mission in the gully suit to the end where you're pinned to the ground seeing your team executed before you were all some of the strongest parts of a FPS ever both in a gameplay and narrative sense.Killzone 2 is a great shooter with some original mechanics, but no really original ideas and a derivative narrative. Hell I'd even go as far as saying atrocious.As much as I like the game, it really isn't THAT compelling. But I can absolutely see where you're coming from. It smacks a bit of a marketing team at a desk going "So what sells nowadays?" "Space marines, shooting, swearing and WWII sir."" Well, you know what to do gentlemen."Maybe it's just my Street Fighter IV frenzy, but I kinda gotta struggle to want to play more of it."
    no offense man, but that just sounds wierd at the end there. why not just do something else besides games if you constantly feel the need to have to play a game?
    Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Kratos81
    Phished0ne said:
    "I enjoy this game, but being a ps3 owner i really didnt have a chance to play games like Gears, so this is great for me, an amazing "sci-fi" style fps that manages to be entertaning, have great graphics and game-play that will keep me coming back for as long as i keep it from gamefly(read as: FOREVER)

Also, i like killing Nazis, even if they are Faux-alien-nazis..(unsupprisingly the game i had before this from gamefly was COD:World At War)

But this may supprise some of you..the thing i love the most about Killzone? THE CONTROLS! finally a game that puts a "gun" in your hand, and actually gives that gun weight, like it should have. I personally applaud Geurilla Games for trying something different with the controls, and i give them a standing O for dealing with the myriad of shit they are catching for it at the Killzone forum. 

i close with this

Innovation: Something new or different introduced

Everyone says KZ2 does nothing different creatively(but what game does now-a-days besides standouts like Flower and Noby Noby Boy) , but no one thinks about the risk they took making a game that dosent control like a "typical arcade-style" FPS.

I am not saying that comment to the poster of this blog, because he did mention it in his post, but so many people have slagged on Killzone for not being "innovative", but i concider drasticly changing the way a shooter handles  innovating, albeit a very small change.
    "
    In this case "feeling the weight" of the gun does not make the gameplay better. Alot of people think it would be a better game with better controls. If adding realism to a game makes it less fun or more awkward it should be left out. You know what is realism, dying when you get shot once and not being to completely heal your self with a ray or health pack. That wouldnt be fun would it? How about no continues.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TwoOneFive said:
    "no offense man, but that just sounds wierd at the end there. why not just do something else besides games if you constantly feel the need to have to play a game?"
    Sorry, English ain't my first language.
    What I was trying to say is that I find myself unable to tear myself from SFIV to play KZ2, but I think that speaks more to how much I love SFIV than that I dislike KZ2.
    If you mean my constant need to play games, I have hella insomnia so videogames help me toil away the sleepless nights.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.