Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect 2

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Jan 26, 2010

After a violent death by an unknown force and a timely reanimation by the human supremacist organization Cerberus, Commander Shepard must assemble a new squad in the seedier side of the galaxy for a suicide mission in the second installment of the "Mass Effect" trilogy.

What's the deal with the PC version?

Anderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Anderson

I played through the original Mass Effect on the 360.  Much later I picked up the PC version during a Steam sale and played about halfway through the campaign for kicks.  I think they did a decent job with the interface on the PC, but as far as graphics are concerned, they weren't a huge improvement over the console version (character models/textures seemed a bit better but the rest felt pretty much the same).

I've been looking around for news/articles that touch on the specifics on the PC version for Mass Effect 2, but have had very little success so far.  Anyone else seen anything that they can link to?

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Geno

Er, what? Did you have the graphics turned to max? The PC version looks MUCH better than the console version. No jaggies, better framerate, better textures, better draw distance, the list goes on. 

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By wefwefasdf

I personally like the PC version better. The interface is a lot easier to navigate and the combat is a little smoother.

monkeyroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By monkeyroach

Pc version does look better running at 1080p and the hotkeys are nice.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By HitmanAgent47

You probally have a really low resolution monitor to say that.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Brendan

On another note:  Does anyone have news about the PC versions release of ME 2?  All my saved game data is from that version :(
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By pause422

I think you have settings lower than you are thinking you do, make sure you turned texture res. to Ultra high quality, ME on the PC compared to the Xbox is like night and day. They fucked up on Garrus's face and it still looks Xbox res, but other than that its miles and miles better looking.    

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FunExplosions
    @pause422 said:
    " I think you have settings lower than you are thinking you do, make sure you turned texture res. to Ultra high quality, ME on the PC compared to the Xbox is like night and day. They fucked up on Garrus's face and it still looks Xbox res, but other than that its miles and miles better looking.     "
    Thank god. Thought that was just some glitch my computer made up. The equipment screen Garrus is fine, then you get into the game and it's some pixelated face. Probably meant to be what you would see if Garrus was 100 yards away.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @FunExplosions: I think that's actually a bug as far as I know since me and a few others had the same problem.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FunExplosions
    @eroticfishcake: Good. If I have to suffer, then everyone suffers. Not really. I'm just glad my thousand dollar laptop doesn't have a messed up video card.
    NoXious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NoXious

I hope there'll be a Digital Deluxe version for ME2 on the PC. I read that we'll not be getting 360 Controller support though, a shame - since I like third-person games with a controller.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@NoXious said:
    "

I hope there'll be a Digital Deluxe version for ME2 on the PC. I read that we'll not be getting 360 Controller support though, a shame - since I like third-person games with a controller.

"
    Really, they are pulling this again? Bummer.
    Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Griddler

This should be in ME1 thread.

Having played on 360 and PC I think it does look a bit better on PC, I didn't notice a huge difference though.

Animespara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Animespara

The game will be the same on both Gaming platforms. 

The pc version just might slightly look better.. but bioware confirmed that alot of issues with the first mass effect on the 360 have been fixed for the console version of the game.

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Slippy
    @Geno said:

"Er, what? Did you have the graphics turned to max? The PC version looks MUCH better than the console version. No jaggies, better framerate, better textures, better draw distance, the list goes on.  "

As much as I am loving ME1 on PC, you will not get "no jaggies". The only way to totally wipe them out is supersampling, but i'm not sure if anything other than dual GPU setups could handle that. I'm using 8xAA, and while it reduces jaggies it doesn't totally get rid of them, and you will still get shader shimmering too.
    Ferginator4k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Ferginator4k

Just release a competent port of Mass Effect 2 and i shall be satisfied, Give PC gamers the options they deserve and i shall be thrilled.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By ShadowSkill11
    @Anderson: As I'm sure you realize but playing games on the PC provide the possibility to have far better graphics than their console counterparts(scalable due to various hardware/software configurations). I own the 360 version and later got the PC version myself. I can with out a doubt say my PC provides a completely superior visual experience in addition to the better interface. I play in 1920x1080 with every setting maxed out. I have a mid range pc as well:

AMD Athlon II X4 940 @  3.2 Ghz
    GeForce 260 GTX
    6 GB RAM
    Windows 7 64-bit RC

...oh yeah. My pc is hooked up to my 40" 1080p HDTV via dvi to hdmi and one of my surround sound systems.
    evreche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By evreche

I heard the PC version was going to be released on the same day as the console version

AverageJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AverageJoe
    @Geno said:
    " Er, what? Did you have the graphics turned to max? The PC version looks MUCH better than the console version. No jaggies, better framerate, better textures, better draw distance, the list goes on.  "
    I've got to admit I don't think the PC version looks much better.

I played the 360 version first all the way through (on a HDTV) and then played the PC version (maxed out in 1920x1080) and I couldn't tell much difference. In fact I think Mass Effect's graphics were way too hyped on all systems.. Faces are quite good but the shadows are horrid, some textures are quite blurry and there's noticable aliasing with no AA option on the PC.

If anything the PC version may have even looked worse in some instances because being closer to my monitor I notice little details (or lack of) and nuances more than I would while sitting back a mile away from the telly, and I still consider Mass Effect to be no more than a 'Good' looking game at best. 

Mass Effect 2 however is looking stunning so far.
    adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By adam_grif

What's the deal with airplane food?

Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ubiquitous
    @adam_grif said:
    "What's the deal with airplane food? "

You disgust me.... 

I haven't heard any news specifically concerning the PC version aside from it releasing with the console versions simultaniously. That in itself is a little bit exciting. I hope we get good graphics options though. That has bothered me for a while, all the stripped options. 

I WANT MY EXPANSIVE LIST OF SLIDERS AND BUTTONS AND DOODADS SO I CAN CLICK THEM ALL AND SLIDE THEM AROUND TO MY LIKING DAMNIT!
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jmrwacko

I'd like it if the PC version were incorporated into games for windows live. As much as I hate Microsoft, I'd like to earn achievements on my live account on the PC.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By Snail

Wait. Why would you buy the same game twice?

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#24  Edited By Marz

It was a console port by Demiurge studios,  so it wasn't the most optimized game for the PC.  It still ran pretty good because it uses the unreal engine 3 which usually runs decent on PC's.  From what i heard the second game is more optimized for the PC and will run alot better this time.

Avatar image for sandwich_adjustment
    sandwich_adjustment

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

i am very satisfied with the PC port of ME1. I had some stupid problem with my old Phenom, until i unlocked the speed, but now its fine. Some textures seem to be very low quality. Frankly, its not the graphics that bother me, but the really boring, stupid Ai.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Mass Effect on PC looks great in comparison to the XBOX 360 version.  For one thing the textures don't magically warp in moments later...

For another the self shadowing looks better too.  MUCH better.  It's a shame the designers used such crappy shaders for the metal surfaces though. :/

CoverlessTech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CoverlessTech

PC version looks way better. Make sure to use the launcher to set the settings, the in game options kinda sucks. You have to go to your steam folder to open the launcher.

kirathian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kirathian

Even if the PC version didn't look that much better (even though it does) it at least runs at a decent framerate on a decent PC.  60 FPS with hardly any freaking pop-in is so nice compared to the 360 version.  Also the elevator rides took less time in the PC version.  =P

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By demonbear
    @Snail said:
    " Wait. Why would you buy the same game twice? "
    Because you really like mass effect and because microsoft cannot make consoles that wont break?
    FalconCritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FalconCritical

Mass Effect 2 is definitely releasing on PC at the same time as consoles, it is listed in the 'Coming Soon' section on Steam with a release date of 27th January.  Since it is being developed for all platforms at the same time I would imagine that it will be great on PC, similar to Dragon Age vs consoles.

Oh and the system req's (minimums) according to Steam are:

• Processor: 1.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo or equivalent AMD CPU
    • Memory: 1 GB RAM for Windows XP / 2 GB RAM for Windows Vista and Windows 7
    • Graphics: 256 MB (with Pixel Shader 3.0 support)
    • DirectX®: DirectX 9.0c August 2008 (included)
    • Hard Drive: 15 GB
    • Sound: DirectX 9.0c compatible
    • Supported Chipsets: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 or greater; ATI Radeon X1600 Pro or greater. Please note that NVIDIA GeForce 7300, 8100, 8200, 8300, 8400, and 9300; ATI Radeon HD3200, and HD4350 are below minimum system requirements. Updates to your video and sound card drivers may be required.
    DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#31  Edited By DJJoeJoe
    @FalconCritical said:
    "I would imagine that it will be great on PC, similar to Dragon Age vs consoles.  "
    Mass Effect lends itself way better as a console game then dragon age seems to, I don't see the issues that dragon age seems to have with it's console interface appear in Mass Effect 2. It helps that the first game was on the 360 as well, and that the abilities and general combat are less 'hey 30-40 abilities go' and more 'hey charge, 2-5 abilities, cover pew pew'.
    Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Giantsquirrel
    @Snail said:
    ...I own 5 copies of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory...
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#33  Edited By Claude

I see the OP disappeared, always curious. The combat was better on the PC, fuck the graphics.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By Snail
    @Giantsquirrel said:
    " @Snail said:
    ...I own 5 copies of Splinter Cell Chaos Theory... "
    Why? Can't you just create 5 different save files?
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @demonbear said:

" @Snail said:

Because you really like mass effect and because microsoft cannot make consoles that wont break? "
    What about the original Xbox, that thing was built like a tank.

@FalconCritical said:

"I would imagine that it will be great on PC, similar to Dragon Age vs consoles."

Mass Effect was developed as a console game, as is ME2.
    Dragon Age was developed for the PC.  They later decided to work on a console release alongside it, but for the longest time it was exclusive.
    felixlighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By felixlighter
    @NoXious said:
    "

I read that we'll not be getting 360 Controller support though, a shame - since I like third-person games with a controller.

"
    I feel the same way.  That is a real shame.  I was disappointed that Xbox 360 controller support wasn't included in the first game but I'm shocked that they didn't add it this time around.  A lot of people asked for it.   Something about the 3rd person perspective that makes movement on a keyboard not feel quite right to me.   I'd give up some of the UI improvements if I could use a controller.
    Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Giantsquirrel
    @Snail said:
    " @Giantsquirrel said:
    " @Snail said:
    Why? Can't you just create 5 different save files? "
    One for PS2, one standard edition on Xbox, one limited edition on Xbox, one limited edition on PC, and the Steam version. 

PS2 and Xbox/PC versions are essentially different games. The limited edition was purchased much later and is for looks, the PC limited edition doesn't work on Windows 7, so I own the Steam version now.

But yeah, I really love that game.
    Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Giantsquirrel
    @Snail said:
    " @Giantsquirrel said:
    " @Snail said:
    Why? Can't you just create 5 different save files? "
    One for PS2, one standard edition on Xbox, one limited edition on Xbox, one limited edition on PC, and the Steam version. 

PS2 and Xbox/PC versions are essentially different games. The limited edition was purchased much later and is for looks, the PC limited edition doesn't work on Windows 7, so I own the Steam version now.

But yeah, I really love that game.
    FalconCritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FalconCritical
    @FelixLighter said:
    " @NoXious said:
    "

I read that we'll not be getting 360 Controller support though, a shame - since I like third-person games with a controller.

"
    I feel the same way.  That is a real shame.  I was disappointed that Xbox 360 controller support wasn't included in the first game but I'm shocked that they didn't add it this time around.  A lot of people asked for it.   Something about the 3rd person perspective that makes movement on a keyboard not feel quite right to me.   I'd give up some of the UI improvements if I could use a controller. "
    Personally I find all shooters more intuitive with a keyboard and mouse, that may be because I've been playing FPS and 3PS with these controls for so many years. Still, each to their own.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.