Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Mass Effect

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Nov 20, 2007

Humanity is still a newcomer on the futuristic galactic stage, and it's up to the charismatic Commander Shepard to investigate the actions of a rogue agent while under threat from a dangerous synthetic race known as the Geth.

Tell me something, people who played Mass Effect (Spoilers)

• 76 results
    ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By ventilaator

I wanted to play ME2 after seeing it get GOTY's everywhere and decided I really should play the first one before that.

I would REALLY like to know people's explanations for saving Ashley instead of Kaidan. The only one I can think of is that she's a human you can try to get with, but she was too big of an ass for me to want to have my Shepard get with her. 

Seriously. Tell me. Why would you save her. I didn't hesitate for a moment when that choice came up.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By alternate

meh, two 2D characters - save the chick.

Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue

Cause Kaiden was a whiny wimp who wouldn't stop flirting with me.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By McGhee

Why would I save Ashley? Kaiden was way cooler than that space bigot.

Hairy_Fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hairy_Fish

I really disliked both of them and thought for a second when I was given the choice. I remembered Ashley had a problem with Garrus then the choice became clear.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#6  Edited By Yummylee

I found her to be a much better character than Kaiden, with her families history, xenophobia and she was overall more memorable than the soft spoken Kaiden who done little besides whine about his biotics training.

Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue
    @Abyssfull said:
    " I found her to be a much better character than Kaiden, with her families history, xenophobia and she was overall more memorable than the soft spoken Kaiden who done little besides whine about his biotics training. "
    YUP!
    Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
    NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NoCookiesForYou

Yeah and if i remember correctly if you save her, she'll whine about it afterwards, "Why did you save me, it should have been me, i dont deserve this" -crap. Really annoying, just went "fine sheesh i'll choose Kaiden instead, you don't have to be an ungrateful bitch about it"

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ventilaator
    @Abyssfull said:
    " I found her to be a much better character than Kaiden, with her families history, xenophobia and she was overall more memorable than the soft spoken Kaiden who done little besides whine about his biotics training. "
    From my point of view she hated most of my team (Ew, aliens) and was randomly an ass (There was a bitchy exchange with Liara after one mission)

Then she ALSO SHOT WREX WHEN THE BIT WITH THE CURE CAME UP SO I HAD TO RELOAD MY SAVE TO HAVE WREX NOT DIE.

You don't kill Wrex.
    stringbacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By stringbacon
    The space-racism works in her favor for me. It gives her a personality that I can remember long after I finished Mass Effect.
    Kaiden has nothing that makes him stand out to me. All I remember was that he used biotics.
    Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue
    @Ventilaator:  You do know Wrex was going to kill you. 
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#12  Edited By Yummylee
    @Ventilaator said:
    " @Abyssfull said:
    From my point of view she hated most of my team (Ew, aliens) and was randomly an ass (There was a bitchy exchange with Liara after one mission)  Then she ALSO SHOT WREX WHEN THE BIT WITH THE CURE CAME UP SO I HAD TO RELOAD MY SAVE TO HAVE WREX NOT DIE.  You don't kill Wrex. "

That's what I liked about her. I didn't approve of her views, but it was interesting to see her at odds end with most of your crew. Also I totally killed Wrex in my first playthrough myself. 

Fucker pulls a gun on my scarred up Renegade Shepard, then he going down hard! 

@Verb4tim said:
    " Yeah and if i remember correctly if you save her, she'll whine about it afterwards, "Why did you save me, it should have been me, i dont deserve this" -crap. Really annoying, just went "fine sheesh i'll choose Kaiden instead, you don't have to be an ungrateful bitch about it" "
    Kaiden was the same way.
    Avatar image for mightymayormike
    MightyMayorMike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MightyMayorMike

I actually liked both of them as characters -- I don't get all the hate. It was a pretty tough choice, but in the end I went with Ashley because I think she was guarding the bomb or something like that, and I figured that was probably more important to the mission. This was a while ago, so I don't really remember.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By imsh_pl

Ashley was xenophobic so I got her killed. Kaiden isn't much better, though.

TheGremp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheGremp

If I could have let them both die, I would have.  I kept Ashley around because she was more useful in battle.  Of course, not as useful as my alien brosephs, but having an assault is way better than having some squishy biotics whimp.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By mikemcn

I planned on saving ashley because... you know, but then I found out she was a fundamentalist xenophobic prick and a middleing soldier.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ventilaator

I didn't care much for Kaidan, but I had such a heavy dislike for Ashley that I didn't need to care for the other option too much.

I would really like for Mass Effect 2 to give me choice moments where I actually have to consider it for a moment. That didn't happen here, nor did it happen in Dragon Age. There was always a clear cut "This is the way to go" way for me.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Dingofighter

I just didn't like Kaidan, don't really know why.

xxizzypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By xxizzypop

I saved Kaidan on every run through I did on the first ME. I have no idea why either, I always liked Ashley better as a character, but she just seemed so much better suited for the whole self-sacrifice sequence. 

Maybe I hated Kaidan and wanted him to live on in the universe with the guilt that it should have been him out there. Who knows.

SlowHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By SlowHands

I didn't like either of the characters, but I disliked Kaidan more.  I never really used either of them throughout the game, because both Garrus and Wrex are way more SPACE than any human could ever be.

wsowen02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By wsowen02
    @alternate said:
    "meh, two 2D characters - save the chick. "

Pretty much this
    Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Enigma777

No idea. I killed her off without a second glance. She almost killed Wrex (actually she did but I reloaded a save) so that bitch had to go!

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MikkaQ

I'm with the OP. 

I (being Shepard) am running an important space-mission and I don't need space-racists to spread their space-hatred on my space-ship.  

It's inefficient, I need everyone 100% cooperating. That's why Jack didn't quite make it in my file, either.

Bismarck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Bismarck

Saved her cuz she's a chick. But I never used her for missions.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Enigma777
    @Ventilaator
    I didn't care much for Kaidan, but I had such a heavy dislike for Ashley that I didn't need to care for the other option too much.

I would really like for Mass Effect 2 to give me choice moments where I actually have to consider it for a moment. That didn't happen here, nor did it happen in Dragon Age. There was always a clear cut "This is the way to go" way for me.
    While I agree about origins, I thought that you had a pretty hard choice when it came to picking what you had to defend in the end of Awakening. Also if you let the Architect go or not...
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Did exactly the same thing.  I wasn't a huge fan of Kaiden, he was a very dull character..  But Ashley was a bible basher, racist and extremely annoying. 
    As soon as I saw the ability to put her in danger, I didn't hesitate for a second to do it.  Would have flushed her out of the airlock sooner, if there was the option.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By phantomzxro

beyond her being not to kind to aliens she was alright. Also you could bang her which is reason enough for most. I say i liked Ashley way more then Kaidan every time you talked to kaidan he came off as whiny and was always bitching about something so that choice was not hard to make when i had to choose.

zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By zagzagovich

I actually tohught you could save both since the situation didn't really seem all that inevitable. At this point all of them killed dozens of Geth and really shouldn't have had any problems dealing with those for a few minutes. I went for Ashley thinking she might need help to keep her alive while Kaiden can clearly hold out for a bit. It was kind of a bummer to lose him since I wanted to know more about how they justify all this biotic business.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I don't feel like sitting here and explaining Ashley's 'asshole-ness,' but I will say there are good reasons for it that people often forget. I didn't forget and, in a way, I kinda felt sorry for her. Therefore, I decided to save her. 

And I wanted to bang her.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ghostiet

She actually has a personality. Kaidan has absolutely none. Ashley's backstory is pretty interesting, while Kaidan is only there because BioWare needed a female romance option. It's like Carth Onasi landed in a crossover event.

Also, Ashley's space-racism is so terribly overplayed by fanbots it's not even funny. She doesn't come of as a bigger racist than Pressly.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By xyzygy

I really liked Kaidan. I don't know what it was about him. I feel bad everytime I leave him to die, but I actually wanted Ashley to die as well... so it works out great. I just think she's a really hateable character.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By sagesebas
    @Ventilaator: She sucks, is a bullshit character. To be honest both those characters kinda suck, she is just worse cause she got all up in your face about religion and shit.
    Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
    alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By alwaysbeclothing

I think when I was playing on the hardest difficultly, I would camp behind a wall and send in Wrex and Ash.

I would res them whenever they needed and they took all aggro while I slowly whittled down enemies.

But really, its your call

Mike76x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Mike76x
    @Ventilaator:   I chose Ashley for 2 reasons. 
    1. She's a soldier, and in RPGs I favor soldiers / warriors. I don't use sentinels.
    2. Kaiden annoyed the hell outta me. He's too Carth Onassi (I know they're voiced by the same guy) and just hate him for it.

Sure Ashley is a bit racist, but so was Navigator Pressly and like 90% of the Mass Effect galaxy.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#37  Edited By Undeadpool

Because I vastly prefer a character I feel something for (even if it's negativity) to one that I feel nothing for.

BackupPanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BackupPanic
    @Abyssfull: Completely agree with Abyssfull on this one. I actually found her character flaws to be far more interesting to explore then Kaiden's measly little backstory. Which is a shame, as I was rather found of Raphael Sbarge's performances in the Knights of the Old Republic series and Star Wars: Republic Commando.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By tourgen
    @Ventilaator:  Ashley had some character to her and Kaidan was just boring.  If I remember right at some point in her "get to know you" conversation tree she basically compared all alien races to pet dogs.  No way am I killing her off and missing out on great conversations like that.
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Ashley is a hot piece of ass,kaiden is a guy,nuff said.

guthwulf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By guthwulf

I always save the girls. That's how I roll.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#42  Edited By Kyreo
    @alternate said:
    " meh, two 2D characters - save the chick. "
    Yeah Ashely was the less whiney one.  and everytime I heard Kaiden speak I thought of Carth and I wasn't too hot on Carth either.
    TheFreeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TheFreeMan

I saved Ashley cause I wanted to romance her, and I almost immediately regretted it afterwards. Her xenophobia makes her more memorable but damn if it isn't annoying.

When she came back in ME2 to bitch at me, you can bet that I romanced another squadmate out of spite.

sopachuco13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#44  Edited By sopachuco13

I let Kaidan die because I wanted to have sex  with Ashley. But, then I ended up getting it on with the alien girl. So, it was a worthless decision in the end.  

I think I did like Kaidan more though. There was an exchange with him where he was talking bad about aliens, and I thought he was going to be xenophobic like Ashley. But, by the end of the conversation you could tell that he had his problem with aliens but he just wants everybody to leave each other alone. I can't remember the dialog very well, but it totally changed my opinion about Kaidan. In the end, he died. Oh well. There's always another playthrough.
    bmarie82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By bmarie82

I didn't like Ash at first, she came off as way too into being a tough chick. But then Kaiden tried to get in my pants and I was like No Sir! So I greatly appreciated her taking that bullet for me. Also Kaiden is too school boy, he bored me. I was still sad when he had to eat it but what'cha gonna do, Ash was way better in a fight

Sarkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Sarkhan

I played it and sold it for 2 bucks. I hated it. I really did. maybe not my game:S 
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed, dude.  I would rather have a kind of blandish dude than that bitchy-ass... well, bitch.  Also, space racist.

I hated her and was bummed when I played ME2 on 360 and the canon for not having a save was that you saved her since I played ME1 on PC.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I found Kaidan to be very boring.

yorick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By yorick

I didn't really like either of them but Ashley had a family who would miss her and Kaiden didn't.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#50  Edited By AndrewB

I'd have to agree that if you weren't in it for the romance with Ashley (and I'd honestly rather romance Wrex than Ashley), Kaiden was the right choice. He's actually an interesting character, and I like his voice actor a lot. 

Liara is the defacto Mass Effect romance anyway.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.