Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Max Payne 3

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 15, 2012

The long-awaited third Max Payne game finally arrived in May 2012, courtesy of Rockstar Vancouver. Eight years after the end of Max Payne 2, an aging, burnt-out Max finds one last chance to redeem himself while working as a bodyguard for a rich family in Brazil.

What is *wrong* with this community? (poll).

• 142 results
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Joking title, implying that not knowing/loving Max Payne is a flaw.   

If you've enjoyed one and disliked the other, pick the enjoyed OR the disliked option based on your general opinion of the two games as a franchise. Don't hit OTHER! 

[Cautiously] is an optional addition, yo! 

But seriously, sometimes I think I'm in an alternate reality when I see so many of you guys who simply do not know what Max Payne is, or think it's a shooter where you run forward and shoot in slow motion...
    The MP games have some of the best most intriguing and emotional stories, incredibly fun shooting mechanics and smart level design, and overall a once-in-a-life-time kind of noire video game atmosphere.
    Yet when I'm with other duders on our voice server or the IRC chatroom or these forums, 9 out of 10 people think it's a shootdodge simulator and nothing more.
    It's not that I'm mad because I'm a fan, it's simply surprising because Max Payne is such a famous and well-known video game name, and the two games put together sold 7.5 million copies which was alot 10 years ago.

I simply can't think of any other game that sold so much, has such an iconic and popular name, yet is barely known by seasoned gamers. It's strange! 
    Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By Dagbiker

I dont like Shooters.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By JasonR86

Other.

I've played a little of both of the games and thought they were fine. I'm sort of looking forward to Max Payne 3 but, financially, I'm not in a situation where I can be too excited about it.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @JasonR86 said:

Other.

I've played a little of both of the games and thought they were fine. I'm sort of looking forward to Max Payne 3 but, financially, I'm not in a situation where I can be too excited about it.

That's not other, that's A  :/
    bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By bicycleham

I'm not [cautiously] looking forward to it. I'm just looking forward to it for Christ's sake.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By UnrealDP

I've played the PC version of both and they're both pretty good, but the audio on the first one is so screwed up it ruined most of that game.

Edit: Why are the only two options for looking forward to 3 cautiously looking forward and not being happy? I'm syked for that game and it looks fan-fucking-tastic, but I'm still gonna wait for some amount of word of mouth 'n all that.

Edit2: Oh wait, I'm stupid. My brain made me forget the meaning of brackets. My bad!

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8  Edited By EuanDewar

I played Max Payne 2 recently, eh. Granted with some exceptions I kind of haven't given that much of a shit about video games lately but it wasn't doing it for me. Interesting, certainly.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JasonR86

@AhmadMetallic said:

@JasonR86 said:

Other.

That's not other, that's A :/

I've never completed them so I didn't feel it was A. Don't hate my interpretation of this polls!

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kindgineer

The first two games simply just didn't interest me when they released. A lot of people I know tell me if I head back to it now I might enjoy it more, but there really is no motivation I can find. Also, Diablo III is coming out the same day and even if I was interested in the title, I wouldn't play it anywhere near it's release.

Even though I'm sure not everyone in the world will be buying Diablo III, I think it is really stupid to release the game close to the juggernaut that is Diablo III.

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@JasonR86 said:

Other.

yeah, that option is A.

razkazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By razkazz

I fucking love Max Payne, I double fucking love Max Payne 2 and I'm fucking lovingly looking forward to the 3rd.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JasonR86

@BestUsernameEver said:

@JasonR86 said:

Other.

yeah, that option is A.

See the above response.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#14  Edited By Claude

I'm not sure which one to pick. I loved the first one, but I can barely play around 3 or 4 hours of the second one before giving up.

Blackmamba85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Blackmamba85

I Fucking L O V E Max Payne 2, and thought that the first was great as well. I'm not expecting much from Max Payne 3, but I'd like to be wrong!

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#16  Edited By Undeadpool

@Xolare said:

I'm not [cautiously] looking forward to it. I'm just looking forward to it for Christ's sake.

Ditto

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mandude

Put me down somewhere inbetween C & D. I know relatively nothing about 3 other than that Remedy are not at the helm.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Claude said:
    I'm not sure which one to pick. I loved the first one, but I can barely play around 3 or 4 hours of the second one before giving up.
    If you liked the franchise in general, pick one of the 'enjoyed' options, if not, then 'disliked' 

@Xolare said:

Added between those brackets as an optional addition to the poll option, so whether cautiously or not, it's the same.
    hawkinson76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By hawkinson76

I was hyped about the graphics and style of Max Payne 1. I really did not enjoy the gameplay, and for many years steered clear of 3rd person shooters. Gears was the first one to work for me, but I still find most of them... nauseating? Yeah, an hour or two of Just Cause 2 was all I could stand.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By captain_clayman

@UnrealDP said:

I've played the PC version of both and they're both pretty good, but the audio on the first one is so screwed up it ruined most of that game.

you know there's a real easy fix for that. anyways i really REALLY enjoyed max payne 1 and 2, and this isn't just nostalgia. i'm 17 and i just played them for the first time a month ago and they're just really solid games. really excited for MP3

Ketchupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ketchupp

I'm [cautiously] picking C.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By themangalist

What bothers me about any Max Payne sequel is that they fail to acknowledge Sam Lake is the one and ONLY Max Payne, as far as I'm concerned.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BBQBram

From what I've seen so far, they'd have to really jump the shark somewhere in the game for it NOT to be totally great in all aspects from presentation to gameplay. And it will probably (brace for controversy) blow the old games out of the water.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Undeadpool said:

@Xolare said:

Ditto

I'm curious, what did you guys vote for? :P Like I said, the 'cautiously' is simply an optional addition for those who aren't 100% certain, because I wanted to merge both cases in one option. 

@razkazz said:

I fucking love Max Payne, I double fucking love Max Payne 2 and I'm fucking lovingly looking forward to the 3rd.

@captain_clayman said:

Ii really REALLY enjoyed max payne 1 and 2, and this isn't just nostalgia. i'm 17 and i just played them for the first time a month ago and they're just really solid games. really excited for MP3

Respect! The lack of Max Payne acknowledgement on these forums hurts me.
    stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By stonyman65

@AhmadMetallic said:

Joking title, implying that not knowing/loving Max Payne is a flaw.

If you've enjoyed one and disliked the other, pick the enjoyed OR the disliked option based on your general opinion of the two games as a franchise. Don't hit OTHER!

But seriously, sometimes I think I'm in an alternate reality when I see so many of you guys who simply do not know what Max Payne is, or think it's a shooter where you run forward and shoot in slow motion...
    The MP games have some of the best most intriguing and emotional stories, incredibly fun shooting mechanics and smart level design, and overall a once-in-a-life-time kind of noire video game atmosphere.
    Yet when I'm with other duders on our voice server or the IRC chatroom or these forums, 9 out of 10 people think it's a shootdodge simulator and nothing more.
    It's not that I'm mad because I'm a fan, it's simply surprising because Max Payne is such a famous and well-known video game name, and the two games put together sold 7.5 million copies which was alot 10 years ago.

I simply can't think of any other game that sold so much, has such an iconic and popular name, yet is barely known by seasoned gamers. It's strange!

I think the problem is that here on GB, a good number of the guys here are/where too young to play that game when it came out. These are the same people who think that Halo was the first FPS game lol.

I can't wait for Max Payne 3. It looks and sounds awesome!

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Dany

I don't think that Rockstar is taking any missteps in their approach in making MP3. Its been years since the last game and its a new studio. The changes make sense and the type of studio that rockstar can bring life to Max Payne. I loved MP1 and 2 when I was a kid, replayed the constnatly but I drifted away from the series and am excited with what Rockstar can do.

Also, HEALTH :D

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

C, but without the cautious. Everything I've seen of 3 looks really fucking good.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By UnrealDP

@AhmadMetallic: I didn't put it in my post, but I went with A.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By ch3burashka

Where's the 'I love 1 and 2 and am looking forward to 3, no 'cautious' crap about it'?

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Claude
    @AhmadMetallic: C
    DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#31  Edited By DarthOrange

Never played a Max Payne game and not really interested in this one.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By fattony12000

I'm going to reinstall and play Max Payne 1 from my original disc this weekend.

No Caption Provided
    deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By deerokus

It's interesting, for all the apparent hype for Diablo 3 on here and other sites, I get the impression it is seen as the bigger and more important game, as some sort of all-conquering juggernaut. However, I've never met anyone in real life who has ever played a Diablo game, nor gives two hoots about Diablo 3. I was only dimly aware of Diablo 2 until I started listening to the GiantBombcast and heard them talking about it relatively often. Then I realised it was a big thing that people cared about, which blew my mind. Is it just a US/UK thing (I'm in Scotland, the UK)?

Max Payne 1 and 2 were far bigger games in my mind, and Max Payne 3 is by far the biggest game on the schedule for this year, to me. Max Payne 2 still looks unbelievably good for a nine year old game. And yeah there's probably an age thing here. I was 17 when the first game came out, it was among the greatest things ever at the time. There are a lot of users here who are only about that age now.

As for MP3... I'm cautiously optimistic. The videos so far look great, but they're following on from the best third person shooter games ever made and I can't think of any Rockstar-developed games that have had really good gunplay. The tone doesn't look right either.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mandude

@deerokus said:

It's interesting, for all the apparent hype for Diablo 3 on here and other sites, I get the impression it is seen as the bigger and more important game, as some sort of all-conquering juggernaut. However, I've never met anyone in real life who has ever played a Diablo game, nor gives two hoots about Diablo 3. I was only dimly aware of Diablo 2 until I started listening to the GiantBombcast and heard them talking about it relatively often. Then I realised it was a big thing that people cared about, which blew my mind. Is it just a US/UK thing (I'm in Scotland, the UK)?

I had never heard of Diablo II until my mom brought it back from America, so I think its popularity was kinda limited to just America.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By Winternet

I believe Max Payne is fairly well known. You also have to remember that the last game was 9 years ago. That's a long time between games.

Edit: Oh, and I love both games and can't wait for Max Payne 3, but that should be apparent.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#36  Edited By BeachThunder

@DarthOrange said:

Never played a Max Payne game and not really interested in this one.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By breadfan

Love the first two Max Payne games, and I'm stoked for the third game.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Doctorchimp

You should really watch and read more thriller and noir stories, Max Payne was not deep at all and Rockstar is more than capable of delivering a story that has its hooks to keep you shooting forward.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By iamjohn

Voted C because I'm not a moron.

1 is fantastic. 2 is brilliance. Jury's out on 3, but I'm willing to give it at least some of the benefit of the doubt.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By mosdl

I loved the first 2 and I am looking forward to the next game, no caution needed.

hbkdx12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#41  Edited By hbkdx12

I can honestly say i don't remember anything from max payne other than bullet time, a dead baby and that face.  That's not to say they were bad or anything

I'm pretty much buying MP3 because i like the games rockstar puts out and probably more importantly, there's nothing coming out anytime soon that i plan on picking up

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Grillbar

i fucking loved 1 and 2 and looking forward to playing 3

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Ramone

I played the first 2 when they first came out and I'm planning on playing through them both again but that'll have to wait until after my exams. Not sure about the 3rd one, I'll probably wait until reviews hit and if it's not amazing I'll wait until the price goes down a bit.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By weltal

I played and loved one and two and have no idea what three is or what it's about.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MrKlorox

Disliked Max Payne 1, Really liked MAx Payne 2. Looking forward to Max Payne 3.

So I chose other because that's what it is.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#46  Edited By buft

I played through all of max payne on my PC which had a Matrox G400 then when 2 came out i bought it and sadly the combination of graphics card and processor i had seemed to have problems running it even on the lowest settings, I had the 32mb card so i was above the recommended specs too, i could play some then it would crash and unfortunately in my time with the PC it never got resolved, later i bought it on my 360 but never got around to playing it but im looking forward to 3, nothing i have seen has made me think that it wont be a great game.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#47  Edited By MEATBALL

Can't I like the games and be looking forward to Max Payne 3 without any caution? None of the footage I've seen has concerned me in the slightest.

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
    BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BigChickenDinner

C. I am How I am about all games before I play them for a few days. Impress me. R* is good sign. They have always done the best they could at a product and them keep getting better in my eyes. Or at least that's the bullshit feeling I get.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
    deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I fucking loved both Max Payne 1 and 2 but I am a bit cautious about 3 - although I will get it pretty soon and I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By landon

I loved both Max Payne 1 and 2 and am totally looking forward to Max Payne 3.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.