Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Metroid Prime

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 18, 2002

Take control of Samus Aran in her first 3D adventure as she battles the Space Pirates on Tallon IV while uncovering the mysterious disappearance of its inhabitants.

Metroid Prime P-o-W Trailer

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

Nintendo have released a trailer and tv spot in Japan for their "Play on Wii" version of Metroid Prime.

The game is said to feature cleaned up graphics and Widescreen support,  as well as a control scheme close to that of Metroid Prime Corruption.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

They're not bundling 1 & 2 together? I was looking forward to this but with all the great games coming in 2009, it will probably be a long time until I get these. I only finished Prime 3 recently-ish anyway, it's best to spread them out so they don't get tedious.

Let's hope they improve the controls a bit, Prime 3 was excellent but it could use some more turning speed options (though you still turn much faster than in most analog stick FPS titles, contrary to popular mocking). I do see some tweaks in regards to turning in the beginning of the video, but we can't judge it until we get some hands-on time and see all the advanced options.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By PureRok

I may actually finish Metroid Prime (I got it with my GC back in the day), and play Metroid Prime 2. I always felt that the controls just weren't up to what they wanted to do with Metroid. The lock-on system works with Zelda, but that's not a FPPS (First Person Platforming Shooter). I finished Metroid Prime 3, and one reason was the awesome controls.

I hope they make more Metroid games in the vein of MP3, because that one was almost perfect.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r

Lock-on worked like a charm in Prime 3 also :P

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By PureRok
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Lock-on worked like a charm in Prime 3 also :P"
    Really? I never used it.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Al3xand3r

Yes you did, it's required for some things, like using the grapple hook on enemy shields or interactive environment elements :P

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PureRok
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Yes you did, it's required for some things, like using the grapple hook on enemy shields or interactive environment elements :P"
    That's not lock on. That's just the "use this item" button.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r

Eh, no, you lock-on, then flick the nunchuck to throw the grapple beam to the point you locked on, whether that was an enemy or some point to swing from or detach something from, etc. The difference from past Primes is that, while being locked-on  allows you to move in relation to that object, strafe it basically, just like in Zelda (or past Prime games), by default you can still freely aim your weapon anywhere on the screen.

It's still a big aid though, just a "loose" lock on I suppose. It can be changed in the options to completely fixate on the object and not allow you to aim anywhere but dead-center, but it doesn't feel as fluid like that, so default option works best imo. It's still a lock-on though, and enables the strafing controls and what not.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Wow...why? to make money thats why.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

You mean the sole reason the industry exists as we know it, instead of some online freeware repository? Yeah, it's kind of obvious, isn't it? What company doesn't want to put quality titles that happened to be on underperforming platforms on newer and more popular systems, to give them another chance? SEGA did it when the Dreamcast went down, Nintendo does it now that from a distant third place they're a distant first. They're hardly the first company to re-release titles, so what's with only posting in Wii threads to attempt a negative spin on the topics?

Should I mention Xbox Originals, or Sony's similar availability on PSN? What about the VC? Or does the difference in distribution methods somehow negate the fact every company out there is doing the same damn things?

Try sparking some proper discussion sometime instead of your usual hit and run flame baits. Much like you stopped posting in the Iwata's 79 thread, since your "argument" there had no point or goal other than to attempt to piss people off, then proceeding to bail out without actually discussing, only stating random opinions as fact, in attempts to speak for the majority of what you falsely think is like-minded crowds of core gamers. Grow up, as someone in that thread asked already.

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By ArcBorealis

I never bought prime 1 or 2 when they were released, so these wii updates I will get for sure.

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By ThomasP

I never owned a GCN, so I'm looking forward to these releases. Same with the Pikmin series.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    Al3xand3r said:
    "You mean the sole reason the industry exists as we know it, instead of some online freeware repository? Yeah, it's kind of obvious, isn't it? What company doesn't want to put quality titles that happened to be on underperforming platforms on newer and more popular systems, to give them another chance? SEGA did it when the Dreamcast went down, Nintendo does it now that from a distant third place they're a distant first. They're hardly the first company to re-release titles, so what's with only posting in Wii threads to attempt a negative spin on the topics?

Should I mention Xbox Originals, or Sony's similar availability on PSN? What about the VC? Or does the difference in distribution methods somehow negate the fact every company out there is doing the same damn things?

Try sparking some proper discussion sometime instead of your usual hit and run flame baits. Much like you stopped posting in the Iwata's 79 thread, since your "argument" there had no point or goal other than to attempt to piss people off, then proceeding to bail out without actually discussing, only stating random opinions as fact, in attempts to speak for the majority of what you falsely think is like-minded crowds of core gamers. Grow up, as someone in that thread asked already."

Why why to make money thats why?
    Lets look at that statement? why would Nintendo take games released in the past 10 years and release them for Wii? to make money.
    The wii is a garbage system for Shovel ware and rerererereleases. *just wanted to add that*

I all so love how you compare these to VC, and psn and xbox original titles.
    Oh my god you mean a game that was released in the past 7 years on the Gamecube receives NEXT to no graphical upgrade, and tagged on Wii controls and will likely cost 40-50 dollars STILL is the same as releaseing games on VC *by the way VC is shit* or psn or xbox originals where those are games that receive no graphical upgrade but only cost about 10-20% of the originals?
    I totally see the comparison there they are exactly the same aren't they....
    And sega did the same thing? yeah sorry no Sega didn't release nearly the amount of crap on other systems that Nintendo is porting from gamecube to Wii, the only notable ones are sonic adventure and shenmue 2 thats about it being taken from Dreamcast and ported to other systems, I dont believe you could name even 5 Exclusive dreamcast games which were then ported to a later system, And I left 79's thread because the argument was going no where since I had won every point in the argument.

They could easily include both games on 1 disc for 20 bux, or hell spend 2 years upgrade both games graphically add more content...ect and still charge 20 bux but no its a quick cash in scheme, just like shovelWii is a quick cash in.

P.S: Why VC is shit? because nearly all the games on VC can be found for about a 10th the price asked for them on VC, Xbox originals and Ps1 original games on PSN are atleast in line with the prices you would be asked for such games at a retailer. but VC games hell i can find most of those titles at my local gamexchange for 1-2 dollars or less.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Al3xand3r

Wow, such a long response, yet so empty at the same time. Oh, it must be the random flame baits you throw around as facts, even though they have little to do with what I was saying, that pad it up like this.

Yes, I know they do it for money, I already spent a paragraph explaining that money is what makes the industry run, otherwise we'd just be getting free games. I don't see you add anything, or why you bothered (pretend) trying.

The Play on Wii range is going to be at a budget price. You want them to release two graphically updated games in a retail box for "20 bux" when Microsoft release their Xbox originals for $15 as a mere download identical to its original form? Talk about double standards huh? At least they do rework aspects of the games, since it's pretty much required for the controls since they don't employ a classic controller, so a higher price is expected considering they did work on them, as little as it is. More than the work Xbox Originals get anyway. Things like Donkey Kong even have new levels and a wholly rebalanced experience. Obviously it's not going to make people who had the original games buy these, but that's not who this range is for, especially since GameCube games run fine 100% on Wii if you already have them.

And yes, it's the same as PSN rereleases and Xbox Originals and SEGA's rereleases of Shenmue II, Skies of Arcadia, Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Phantasy Star Online, (hey that's 6, do I get a cookie for passing your meaningless, unecessary and arbitary quota?) which they often released for more than just one new platform, and other companies have done the same, like CAPCOM with Okami and RE4 most recently, but also Monster Hunter G and Square Enix with Final Fantasy Tactics, and many many others. You're just blindfolded and pretend-set on how Nintendo and the Wii suck to actually see theyr'e not that diferent and anything you think is bad that they do, others have done also, and it's not really evil or anything considering it's always a mere option you can freely ignore if you feel is so absurd. You seriously need some games to be entertained by if this is what you do for fun.

PS#1: It's oh so clear you only post to stir things up since no human being can possibly be this fanatical, this ignorant and this absurd and provocative without wishing it. Oh, and I didn't see you win any argument in that thread, only give up posting when too many were onto your ridiculousness with things you have nothing to counter with, other than your usual Wii flaming that does nothing to back up your points, only show you have no interest in really discussing anything, just preaching your personal preferences as industry facts or as the core gamers' collective opinion, or whatever. If you think otherwise then go back to that thread, don't pretend-explain how you won in this one, where people can't see the whole "discussion" (in quotes because you didn't really discuss, only preach).

PS#2: Yeah, Microsoft never rips you off, only Nintendo does, that's why they force companies to release things like DLC or XBLA games they wanted to put out for free for a set price, or increase the price they wanted to sell it for. Lol? Almost (?) all corporations rip you off, especially when we're speaking of luxury entertainment goods like video games are, so deal with it.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By BoG

That control scheme better not suck. The original Prime is one of my favorite games of all time, so i'll want to try this out. 

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Al3xand3r

Well, Prime 3 was excellent so it will be at least like that. A few more options and enhancements wouldn't hurt of course, I do see some things going on with the turning that seemed different to Prime 3.

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bullet_Jr

The first Metroid Prime was probably the best in the trilogy. I'm glad they are remaking it. I hope they remake the second one as well.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Al3xand3r
    RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By RichardLOlson
    Al3xand3r said:
    "Wow, such a long response, yet so empty at the same time. Oh, it must be the random flame baits you throw around as facts, even though they have little to do with what I was saying, that pad it up like this.

Yes, I know they do it for money, I already spent a paragraph explaining that money is what makes the industry run, otherwise we'd just be getting free games. I don't see you add anything, or why you bothered (pretend) trying.

The Play on Wii range is going to be at a budget price. You want them to release two graphically updated games in a retail box for "20 bux" when Microsoft release their Xbox originals for $15 as a mere download identical to its original form? Talk about double standards huh? At least they do rework aspects of the games, since it's pretty much required for the controls since they don't employ a classic controller, so a higher price is expected considering they did work on them, as little as it is. More than the work Xbox Originals get anyway. Things like Donkey Kong even have new levels and a wholly rebalanced experience. Obviously it's not going to make people who had the original games buy these, but that's not who this range is for, especially since GameCube games run fine 100% on Wii if you already have them.

And yes, it's the same as PSN rereleases and Xbox Originals and SEGA's rereleases of Shenmue II, Skies of Arcadia, Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Phantasy Star Online, (hey that's 6, do I get a cookie for passing your meaningless, unecessary and arbitary quota?) which they often released for more than just one new platform, and other companies have done the same, like CAPCOM with Okami and RE4 most recently, but also Monster Hunter G and Square Enix with Final Fantasy Tactics, and many many others. You're just blindfolded and pretend-set on how Nintendo and the Wii suck to actually see theyr'e not that diferent and anything you think is bad that they do, others have done also, and it's not really evil or anything considering it's always a mere option you can freely ignore if you feel is so absurd. You seriously need some games to be entertained by if this is what you do for fun.

PS#1: It's oh so clear you only post to stir things up since no human being can possibly be this fanatical, this ignorant and this absurd and provocative without wishing it. Oh, and I didn't see you win any argument in that thread, only give up posting when too many were onto your ridiculousness with things you have nothing to counter with, other than your usual Wii flaming that does nothing to back up your points, only show you have no interest in really discussing anything, just preaching your personal preferences as industry facts or as the core gamers' collective opinion, or whatever. If you think otherwise then go back to that thread, don't pretend-explain how you won in this one, where people can't see the whole "discussion" (in quotes because you didn't really discuss, only preach).

PS#2: Yeah, Microsoft never rips you off, only Nintendo does, that's why they force companies to release things like DLC or XBLA games they wanted to put out for free for a set price, or increase the price they wanted to sell it for. Lol? Almost (?) all corporations rip you off, especially when we're speaking of luxury entertainment goods like video games are, so deal with it."
    Well everyone is going to have an opinion and theres really no reason to flip out.  I understand you like to masturbate in the dark, under your blanky, to samus.  Seriously chill out.  If you need to get the sand outta of your vagina, please do so.  Cause I would hate for you to get a rash.

Point is, people say how they feel and there is really no need for u to get all worked up and write some big ass paragraph on how you defend your jerk off queen samus. 
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Al3xand3r
    Wow, another one of those "I'm not gonna discuss anything, just ramble on about how much you suck" type of posters the Wii threads seem to attract. Congratulations, now please explain where I'm over the top praising Metroid Prime, Samus, ANY game or ANY company for that matter, or telling someone who hates a particular game to like it.

You see, all I did in what you quote is to debunk claims that go beyond opinion and have little to do with a particular game, but rather with a company policy. The re-releases of older titles in question, if you actually read the discussion. You couldn't have missed it having actually read it, so, why respond to something you clearly didn't read, or worse, understand?

Saying something is standard procedure even the companies one loves do (as opposed to just the Evil Big N), and not some kind of innovative publishing crime, is now considered being a fanatical fanboy of a particular game one has barely discussed? I haven't even played the original Prime, and I never claimed how good a game it is. I'm not even interested in buying the re-release considering the amount of new Wii (and PC) games I could get this year instead, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to respond to complete bullshit when I happen to know better than your friend clearly did.

H
    oly shit, I can't wait for your responses when I actually post about something I like around here, as opposed to something I merely understand like the subject in question here. In short, you claim I'm some kind of Prime fanboy that got worked up when someone insulted it. I actually have said nothing about Prime specifically, and its quality was certainly not what I was discussing at all, nor did Will claim anything about that (though perhaps he will now that you brought it up). It seems you're the one who got too worked up to even realise what was going on here, so I guess that must mean you jerk off to Will since you rushed to such a defence.

Nice to see you both quit this, too bad next time you'll be just as ignorant and offensive, likely doing more hit and run posts with the sole purpose of being flame baits, perhaps giving the excuse that nobody gave any valid arguments against your points here, when the truth is, you don't give any valid arguments in the first place, and people simply explained that using blatant common sense, which you fail to counter.
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By Black_Rose

I've been watching gameplay footage on the official Metroid page and I can't wait for this.

Nets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By Nets

This extremely disappointing... The graphics don't look "cleaned up" at all, and while Widescreen is a welcomed addition, it's pretty much a standard. You can't just price a six year old game with Wii controls at $30 with returning players wanting to come back for nostalgia. While I think this a great oppurtunity for people like Alaskan Gamer to try out an amazing game, I'd rather the game to have Wii updated graphics (or at least, the option to do so). A new area to Tallon IV isn't too much to ask for either. Yet another reason why Nintendo is becoming lazy (I do realize it will sell very well anyways)...

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By jakob187

WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!  Did William just call Metroid Prime shovelware?  What, because they want to offer the amazing control scheme of Metroid Prime 3 for the previous two titles?  Because so many people ragged on the GameCube that they probably didn't get to play these games the first time around?  Because Nintendo is willing to use their games as a way to set an example for all the developers trying to make games on their system?

Yes, of course, they are going to sell copies, and that's one of the prime reasons.  However, maybe some people need to realize that Nintendo is also trying to help offer some games for CORE GAMERS.  People have bitched up and down that third-party devs aren't worried about bringing core games to the Wii because they don't feel there is an audience, and now you are going to bitch because Nintendo is trying to bring some core games to the fucking system?

Seriously, man...get your priorities straight!  Whether it's a cop out for money or not...it's a cop out of a DAMN GOOD GAME!!!  It's not like Nintendo is shoveling up some bullshit.  They are offering us Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2, Pikmin, and Pikmin 2.  That's four fascinating fucking games that are worth the money!!!

I, personally, am happy to see them revisiting these games and offering up a fresh perspective of how to play them.  Metroid Prime 3 was a gem when it came to controls on the Wii, so getting the first two games like that is damn near a godsend.  Is it worth $30?  Well, shit...did you feel that Far Cry 2 was worth $60?!?!?  I mean, you are essentially getting pissed off over something that I can put in this analogy:

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas came out on DVD in a 1-disc basic edition on November 17th, 1998.  The MSRP was $19.99.  Now, you can pick it up for about $7.00 on average.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas was released in a Criterion Collection 2-disc edition on February 18th, 2003.  The MSRP was $45.00.  Now, you can pick it up for about $28.00 on average.

A 5 year gap between releases, and the Criterion Collection was fucking PACKED with special features and a newly mastered version of the flick.  So, why the FUCK couldn't they have released an edition like this before?    ???    However, I still bought that Criterion Collection.  Did I feel burned?  Yeah, a little.  However, it was a HUGE leap from the previous one.

So who fucking cares?  In the end, it's down to one question:  do you want to buy an older game that has been revamped for awesomeness?  Personally, my $30 is worth that.

Besides, look at all the fuckers that are paying $10 for Super Mario 64 on VC.  =  P  Or $15 for World of Goo!!!

Oh, and Alexander?  About your "pest problem" in this thread...just look at Gabriel's Internet Theory of Dickwads.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Linkyshinks

I don't care what big Willy thinks, I'm dying to play the first game with Wii controls and widescreen format.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By Willy105

Great idea. Very few played the originals.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By RHCPfan24

Now that is a remake I can get behind. I didn't like the controls that much in the first one, and I loved the controls in the 3rd one. That, and I loved the world in the first one and hated it in the 3rd one. So, these are great changes, right? If it is $20 (at most $30) I will definitely get this. It has been awhile anyway since I last played it.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Linkyshinks

A few new screens. It looks like MP3...

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Al3xand3r

It looks like MP :)
    But yes, still a very pretty game, I really don't know why the GameCube didn't do better with games like this.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Linkyshinks

I put my pre-order down for the trilogy release next month.

teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#30  Edited By teptom

Are they still going to sell them separately or are they just going to release the trilogy? 

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Linkyshinks
    teptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By teptom
    @Linkyshinks: Ah, thank you. I totally forgot they were doing something with the games, until I saw this thread. I never got a chance to play the first two, so I'm excited for it.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Linkyshinks

Oh, well you should definitely be considering it.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By The_A_Drain

Not interested, great for those who never played it and don't own it, but I have the original and as soon as I find a gamecube controller (mine was stolen :( ) i'll play it again sometime. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.