Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Anyone else alittle underwhelmed by Modern Warfare 2?

• 52 results
    DevilishSix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DevilishSix

Maybe I have grown tired of the franchise, but other than an exciting ride on a snowmobile, what will MW2 do for me that MW and WaW haven't done already.  Will MW2 have single player co-op or a survival type mode?  So, far I am not impressed and have decided on other alternatives. 

For me I am finding the co-op mode, with over a million weapon variations, interesting graphics, and rpg leveling and loot system of Borderlands much more interesting. 

Hell, the open world single player in the halo universe with the exciting firefight mode of Halo: ODST seems much more interesting. 

Please fill me in on what I might be missing with all this excitement for MW2 that can't be satisfied with a 2 day rental. 
    harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By harrisonave

I haven't played it, so I can't really say.  I can tell you I'm far more interested in Modern Warfare 2 than I am in anything Halo has to offer.  Borderlands sounds like it's going to be a completely different game, so I'm not even going to bother comparing the two. 

I liked Modern Warfare, so odds are I'll probably like the sequel.

Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Babble
    @DevilishSix:  

I don't think you can judge a game as 'underwhelming' after one small demo of the game.
    Det1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Det1

The environment looks really pretty.

DevilishSix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DevilishSix
    @Artemis_D said:

"I haven't played it, so I can't really say.  I can tell you I'm far more interested in Modern Warfare 2 than I am in anything Halo has to offer.  Borderlands sounds like it's going to be a completely different game, so I'm not even going to bother comparing the two.   I liked Modern Warfare, so odds are I'll probably like the sequel. "

I am not asking for you to compare games and when you say "I liked MW so I will probably like the sequel"  goes right to the root of my problem with MW2, it is not exciting me or making me say "oh wow I need to get that".  You can say Halo may have nothing your interested in but to me the Firefight mode and open world single player is new to the franchise.  Borderlands is a totally new IP which if the gameplay and story holds up it has the elements to probably be a superior experience anyways.  So, I am asking what is new for MW2?  Is it the same ol same ol or does it have a interesting feature or  something new to make it anything other than been there done that already in that franchise feeling.
    cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cloneslayer

a first I wasn't excited and then the multiplayer trailer came out and I realized how much I played 4 and how rocking this is going to be. Who knows about singleplayer but at this point in my gaming life FPS is all multiplayer and other genres cover single

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By zombie2011

I'm more excited for ODST really, MW2 seems like more of the same. Besides firefight will be amazing i'm pretty sure, i loved horde so a halo version of that will be sweet.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Karmum
    @Babble: 
    I don't think you can judge a game as underwhelming without even playing it.
    C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By C2C

I think it's a little too early pass judgment on any of the games you mentioned.  That's really PR and Preview hype your judging from all of those games if you ask me.

But to answer your question; No, I am not underwhelmed by MW2 yet.

iiNF3RNo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By iiNF3RNo
    @DevilishSix:  first of all nobody plays COD for singleplayer have u seen the multiplayer trailer?
    killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By killdave

@DevilishSix: 

You sir, are making a lot of sense. I totally agree with what you are saying and feel very much the same.

gordoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gordoa

I don't know how you could say that considering the game isn't even out yet but I was personally underwhelmed by Call of Grenades 4, Modern Warfare 2 looks to be the same game with a few new features but I hopre they fixed the flaws of Call of Grenades 4 and make the multiplayer  balanced  this time.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kmdrkul

Personally I don't look to Call of Duty games for innovation; I look for solid single player AND multiplayer experiences, and for the past couple of years they have succeeded.

DevilishSix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DevilishSix
    @iiNF3RNo said:

" @DevilishSix:  first of all nobody plays COD for singleplayer have u seen the multiplayer trailer? "

maybe you didn't read when I said "what will MW2 do for me that MW and WaW haven't done already ".  So, I ask what is new in MW2 whether it SP or MP that hasn't already been done in the franchise? or is this just a rerun with new graphics.
    DevilishSix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DevilishSix
    @kmdrkul said:
    "Personally I don't look to Call of Duty games for innovation; I look for solid single player AND multiplayer experiences, and for the past couple of years they have succeeded. "

I am not asking for innovation, I am asking for something new in the franchise to make me feel like getting the game.  I am looking for game progression.  Example Halo 2 offered multiplayer, Halo 3 offered co-op, competitive metagame single player, cinema, and forge, ODST is offering open world SP and firefight mode.  Gears 2 offered Horde and a more expansive MP. 

With that said, what is MW2 offering thats worth the OMFG inflated Activision price of what $65 for bare bones copy.
    snide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By snide

I'm mostly ho-hum on the new game as well. As long as it's got a great story then I'm sure I'll get into it much like the last one. However, I never found much depth in the multiplayer so the last game didn't have the legs for me that it had for others. If it provides another awesome 6-hour campaign with some twists and turns that'll be enough for me.

nick69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By nick69

I agree, I don't see what else they can improve on such an outstanding game. Seeing the multiplayer demo made me think of how much it resembled it's predecessor. But I haven't played modern warfare since it's release, so it's going to be like a fresh start for me. 

And yeah borderlands looks really cool.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RsistncE

To tell you the truth I was actually overwhelmed. Being a sequel and all I wasn't expecting TOO much. I just wanted another reason to jump back into multiplayer and some more single player. The single player wasn't anything outside of what I was expecting, but the multiplayer....oh man the multiplayer.

It was fucking hot looking. Honestly I didn't realize they could have actually added so much to the multiplayer. They added and tweaked to such an extent that it looks fresh, exciting and new now (to me at least). So personally, no, I'm not underwhelmed at all.

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cloneslayer
    @DevilishSix said:
    " @kmdrkul said:
    "Personally I don't look to Call of Duty games for innovation; I look for solid single player AND multiplayer experiences, and for the past couple of years they have succeeded. "
    I am not asking for innovation, I am asking for something new in the franchise to make me feel like getting the game.  I am looking for game progression.  Example Halo 2 offered multiplayer, Halo 3 offered co-op, competitive metagame single player, cinema, and forge, ODST is offering open world SP and firefight mode.  Gears 2 offered Horde and a more expansive MP.  With that said, what is MW2 offering thats worth the OMFG inflated Activision price of what $65 for bare bones copy. "
    New weaons, maps, maybe modes, better graphics. Its a sequel, so you know what to expect. I'm still playing CoD4 (didn't care for WaW) so 2 is really exciting for me.
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By delta_ass

I'm mostly just wondering why they didn't go make a Colonial Marines game after ripping off the motion tracker from Aliens.

Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Alex_V

I'm underwhelmed. I'm not expecting there to be anything much to the game other than prettier visuals - the actual experience will no doubt be a carbon copy of COD4. It's a game I'm expecting to play and enjoy for a while, and nothing more.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22  Edited By jakob187

I'm psyched.  Why?  Because it's IW.  I have always liked IW, even when I realized that CoD4 was little more than spray 'n' pray bullshit.  Then again, should I fault IW for cheap ass fuckstains of players?  NOPE! 

I think the fact that people are still playing CoD4 is massive amounts today is a testament to the kind of game that IW builds.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Al3xand3r

Eh, multiplayer is MW but bigger, badder, better, single player is a very different experience as there's actual AI you can mess with depending on how you approach situations instead of the merely triggered, near on-rails events of the past, and it includes co-op levels. You want even more?!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#24  Edited By ArbitraryWater
    @snide said:
    " I'm mostly ho-hum on the new game as well. As long as it's got a great story then I'm sure I'll get into it much like the last one. However, I never found much depth in the multiplayer so the last game didn't have the legs for me that it had for others. If it provides another awesome 6-hour campaign with some twists and turns that'll be enough for me. "
    Oh snide. Get your filthy TF2 PC covered hands out of our delicious chocolate fountain called Modern Warfare 2. We dip pretzels in it.

It's hard to be underwhelmed when I haven't played the game yet.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EvilTwin

My question is, when MW2 comes out--how many people are going to complain that they ruined the multi-player and go back to playing CoD4?

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
    Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

I'm really excited for it actually. The multiplayer is really addicting and the singleplayer was a blast. I expect the same quality if not more.

caseylakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By caseylakes

Riot Shields? 

Oh and AI so intelligent that there is no need for infinant respawning enemies.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28  Edited By crusader8463

Just looks like more of the same for better or worse. I like the online play but there are to many other games i want t paly this year to bother. After i'm done playing games like.

• Red Faction: Guerrilla 
      [PC]
    • Batman: Arkham Asylum 
      [PC]
    • Section 8
      [PC]
    • Scribblenauts 
      [DS]
    • Force Unleashed Sith Edition 
      [PC]
    • Natural Selection 2 
      [PC]
    • Alpha Protocol
      [PC]
    • Brutal Legend
      [360]
    • Borderlands
      [PC]
    • Dragon Age: Origins
      [PC]
    • Left 4 Dead 2
      [PC]
    • The Sabotuer
      [PC]

Maybe i will pick of Modern Warfare 2 when its on cheap. Then again it is Activison so i doubt they will ever drop the price
    BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BigBoss1911

Its not going to be the "Gr3test Gam3 AVER!!!11" like all the 12 year olds will be hyping it to be,but Im sure it will be a very fun shooter.

T0mF5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By T0mF5

If anything I am overwhelmed by it.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By toowalrus

Better multi-player than the games you mentioned. That's what I'll be buying it for. If it's better than MW1, it's going to be amazing

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TwoOneFive

whatever.  
    Borderlands looks awesome, so does Uncharted 2, MAG etc etc etc 
    That doesn't take away from the fact that MW2 will be fucking awesome too.  
    I am not overwhelmed at all.  
    I can't understand how any could possibly be OVERWHELMED by the release of a new game. Seriously, thats just fucking ridiculous. Go outside or something. 

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @iiNF3RNo said:
    " @DevilishSix:  first of all nobody plays COD for singleplayer have u seen the multiplayer trailer? "
    I play COD for single player...
    Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Manatassi

I'm really exited about MW2 but I can understand where you are coming from with Borderlands. I'm probably more exited about Borderlands than anything else this year.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#36  Edited By natetodamax

I have never been more excited for a game.

Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Manatassi
    @crusader8463 said:
    " Just looks like more of the same for better or worse. I like the online play but there are to many other games i want t paly this year to bother. After i'm done playing games like.

• Red Faction: Guerrilla 
      [PC]
    • Batman: Arkham Asylum 
      [PC]
    • Section 8
      [PC]
    • Scribblenauts 
      [DS]
    • Force Unleashed Sith Edition 
      [PC]
    • Natural Selection 2 
      [PC]
    • Alpha Protocol
      [PC]
    • Brutal Legend
      [360]
    • Borderlands
      [PC]
    • Dragon Age: Origins
      [PC]
    • Left 4 Dead 2
      [PC]
    • The Sabotuer
      [PC]
     Maybe i will pick of Modern Warfare 2 when its on cheap. Then again it is Activison so i doubt they will ever drop the price "
    So you have a PC?
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38  Edited By crusader8463
    @Manatassi: What gave you that idea?^_^ 
    xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By xplodedd
    @gordoa said:
    "

I don't know how you could say that considering the game isn't even out yet but I was personally underwhelmed by Call of Grenades 4, Modern Warfare 2 looks to be the same game with a few new features but I hopre they fixed the flaws of Call of Grenades 4 and make the multiplayer  balanced  this time.

"
    listen halo fanboy i had enough of you for at least a day.. can you calm down the fanboyism... 
    as for me, i am waiting for the GB review..
    gordoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By gordoa
    @xplodedd said:
    " @gordoa said:
    "

"
    listen halo fanboy i had enough of you for at least a day.. can you calm down the fanboyism... as for me, i am waiting for the GB review.. "

Crysis and Half-Life 2 are a better than Halo and Call of Grenades 4, I hope Modern Warfare will be better than Call of Grenades 4 and to make a really good game.
    BadaBinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By BadaBinger

i think it looks awesome personally, i can't wait.

HairyMike87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By HairyMike87
    @DevilishSix: The game isn't out yet. The only way to tell is to actually sit down and play it before you can pass judgment.
    Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#43  Edited By Illmatic

If its just single player you're interested in, then it makes perfect sense to just rent it and return in it after a few days. Its the multiplayer that really decides whether you'll want to purchase instead of rent. If the concept of Modern Warfare 1's multiplayer spruced up a bit doesn't get you excited then there's no reason to buy it.

JDDrewes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By JDDrewes

Why has no one mentioned Spec-Ops Mode? They said that it's going to be as long as the campaign but it will have co-op (good co-op, not the shitty one that WaW had) on levels that were just too badass for the campaign. Think Mile High Club except 5 hours long and with a friend. :D
    Anyways besides that, I'll give you that they're not trying to innovate too much. IW is taking one of the best games ever made (COD4) and improving pretty much everything about it. Campaign looks better, Multiplayer looks deeper, graphics look sharper, etc. Maybe the difference won't be as big as Assassin's Creed or Splinter Cell, but it's going to be an extremely well crafted FPS.
    Also, whoever the said that no one liked the campaign of COD4, fuck you.

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By coolarman

Another important thing is how can you judge the games multiplayer based on a minute long footage. I mean it shows some new stuff in it but it dosen't show alot. There probably some new modes and stuff so it really is impossible to judge it based on how long that footage is an not having played

Vitefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Vitefish

I'm just excited because I had to play MW and WaW on the PS3 because I don't have Xbox gold, so this will be my first CoD on the 360.

PowerBombYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By PowerBombYo

I wasn't super psyched at first, but after having seen some of the multiplayer in action, I definitely am.

saltguy258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By saltguy258

i got 2 games on my to get list this year, modern warfare 2 and halo 3 ODST.., im not overwhelmed, but not underwhelmed by either of them they both look fun, but not like U83R PWN@63!!! type, but  i like halo, and modern warfare 2 looks interesting

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#49  Edited By damnboyadvance

I'm actually more overwhelmed by it than much else. The sequel came real early for me, and I'm not sure what exactly it's going to be this time. Nevertheless, I am still excited about it.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By MeierTheRed

I did buy into the hype for Modern Warfare, but MW2 hasn't done anything for me yet, maybe its the fact they booth look the same, sure there are some graphical improvements. But at its hart i bet it will end up playing like the first one, not that, thats a bad thing. 

But its not a game thats on my radar, unlike the first one was. There are so many other games coming out, i think looks much better and more interesting.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.