Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

The irony of death streaks...

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Cheapoz

If death streaks are for people who suck, isn't it odd that you have to UNLOCK THEM?! 

So, you need to be some sort of good to unlock better rewards to help the fact that you suck. Fantastic.  

I'll see you in hardcore mode, friends.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Pie

Well youll gain them by leveling up and you will probably start witha good death streak that will allow even the worst player to level up unlocking a better death streak and hopefully making them better at the game

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By jkz
    @Cheapoz said:
    " If death streaks are for people who suck, isn't it odd that you have to UNLOCK THEM?!  So, you need to be some sort of good to unlock better rewards to help the fact that you suck. Fantastic.   I'll see you in hardcore mode, friends. "
    Well the hope is that by using the death streaks they will still be able to compete to some degree, and improve at the game. Otherwise, they would be even more useless.
    Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Megalon

It sounds like it's pretty hard not to gain experience in this game, I'm pretty sure that unlocking stuff like this will come fairly easily over time even for people who aren't hardcore about the game.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By JoelTGM

what he said ^

but will everyone have death streaks?  or does it replace a kill streak bonus?

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Cheapoz

I realise it won't be hard to unlock them, but on a literal level it seems odd that you need to at all.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

You don't have to be good to gain experience, you just have to play the game. You're going to gain experience even if you suck at the game. You'll just gain it a little bit slower.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Hamz

From what I gather Modern Warfare 2 is meant to be easier to level in the multiplayer compared to COD4, so I imagine even if you lack some skill or level of competence at the game you'll still manage to level up and unlock stuff.

Although I do have to admit all this 'kill streak' and 'death streak' stuff does sound a little iffy to me. Perhaps seeing it in action would settle my mind, but with a NO to any open or closed beta testing I can only assume we'll get a single player demo like we had with COD4. Sort of sucks to not be able to practice or test out the multiplayer aspect, arguably the biggest draw for most people to Modern Warfare 2.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By mikemcn

If i get to shoot terrorists, im happy. If a bunch of sucky players get to the max level with death streaks, then so be it.  They'll just increase my score, because they won't know how to play.
    Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Cheapoz

I have to imagine that hardcore modes would turn off such nonsense. Perhaps Death Streaks can only be used in certain playlists. 

You know, loser playlists, like FFA.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JoelTGM
    @Cheapoz said:
    " I have to imagine that hardcore modes would turn off such nonsense. Perhaps Death Streaks can only be used in certain playlists.  You know, loser playlists, like FFA. "
    why is free for all for "losers" ?
    MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By MKHavoc

What do the death streaks give you anyway? 

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#13  Edited By natetodamax
    @MKHavoc said:
    " What do the death streaks give you anyway?  "
    They give you an unfair advantage, really.

These things have ruined the game for me.
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#14  Edited By sjschmidt93

I don't really like hardcore. 

Note: I've only played Call of Duty multiplayer for about 5 hours in my whole life.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Out_On_Bail

Since when do you have to be good to level up?  You are never deducted points for sucking. You can die 100 times and get 2 kills and you'd still get points.  

I'm not trashing the game, I love it. I'm just stating the facts here.

Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Novyx

I think they're fair, considering how frequently you get guys in MW that just mow through everyone who isn't insanely good, and pretty much airstrike the hell out of the whole map. I'm talking PC, by the way. I don't know how often you get people with 20ish kill streaks on consoles.

nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By nrain

You don't need to be good to gain experience, you just need to spend time on the game. 10th prestige doesn't mean your good...

HayFourZee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By HayFourZee

The death Streaks are to balance the game. Deathmatches were pritty one sided in cod4 because the winnning team would keep getting killstreaks so it was hard for the other team to 
    recover. I think death streaks are to help stop this from happening.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By natetodamax
    @Hay4z said:
    " The death Streaks are to balance the game. Deathmatches were pritty one sided in cod4 because the winnning team would keep getting killstreaks so it was hard for the other team to  recover. I think death streaks are to help stop this from happening. "
    If one team is dominating I suppose it could balance it out. But if I happen to kill someone 3 times without them scoring a kill, it's extremely unfair for him to spawn with 3 times as much health. That just makes no sense.
    Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@natetodamax: Three times is a lot, I agree, but I'm sure they're not going to regen. to that three times, once they drop back below the regular, it'll probably only raise to the normal. And they should get a kill with that on, and after they die, you won't have to worry about it.

I just could see people getting themselves killed three times, and being really good players, so they're able to survive a long time with that Painkiller thing activated. It could be easily exploited....
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By natetodamax
    @MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
    " @natetodamax: Three times is a lot, I agree, but I'm sure they're not going to regen. to that three times, once they drop back below the regular, it'll probably only raise to the normal. And they should get a kill with that on, and after they die, you won't have to worry about it.  I just could see people getting themselves killed three times, and being really good players, so they're able to survive a long time with that Painkiller thing activated. It could be easily exploited.... "
    It will be exploited, just like the spawn flare thing.
    Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@natetodamax: Yeah, especially if there are broken areas like in CoD4, spawn everyone on some glitched building. There are many ways for these things to be exploited, and it does worry me. Look how long it took for them to patch some of the glitches in CoD4 and many of them are still there for people to annoyingly get into...
    nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By nukesniper
    @Cheapoz said:
    " If death streaks are for people who suck, isn't it odd that you have to UNLOCK THEM?!  So, you need to be some sort of good to unlock better rewards to help the fact that you suck. Fantastic.   I'll see you in hardcore mode, friends. "
    I would think this odd, but I have played with a good many people who are level 55 or even prestiged in CoD4 who would make pretty good use of a death streak skill. 

I'm sure there is a piss poor one to start out, then you unlock something that actually is decent. I don't mind the idea though, it is a good way to make some games less of a slaughterfest, which I am sure it is not fun to be on the receiving side of. Depending on what is in there, I would like to have a little push in some games. However, that would be the best way to notice I am having a bad day in MW2. "Crap, I just got my 4 death streak perk... Time to give it up for today."
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By Diamond

Call of Duty 4 and WaW was a silly game online anyways.  Personally I don't mind a little more crazy, even if it can cause problems.

Think about how those strategies might be applied to capture the flag.  OK I'm gonna die 3 times so I can have more health to carry the flag.  That seems as if it's actually adding to the gameplay depth to me.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Cheapoz

No way dying 3 times could become a tactical decision like that. Take into consideration respawn times etc, you could end up waiting over 60-90 seconds all up, in which time the other team is practically one man up!

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Jimbo

You should unlock them by being so bad that you level down.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Cheapoz

Seems the triple health deal is only temporary and goes away not long after you spawn. Seems fair.

worknman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By worknman
    @nukesniper said:

I'm sure there is a piss poor one to start out, then you unlock something that actually is decent. I don't mind the idea though, it is a good way to make some games less of a slaughterfest, which I am sure it is not fun to be on the receiving side of.   

Basically, what he said. I don't think a lot of you guys realize just how high the barrier to entry is for these kinds of games. When I went into COD4, I hadn't really played an FPS before. So basically, it was me getting 1-2 kills and dying 15-20 times a game. This went on for about 14 hours (according to the in-game stats) until I finally said fuck it and just gave up.

I mean, if you're like me and just want to get on for an hour or two every week, when facing off against the 18-hour-a-day lifers, you're not going to stand a chance. And being used for target practice is only funny for so long. 

As somebody who truly sucks at the game, I do applaud their efforts to make the game more accessible. However, I think they're going about it the wrong way, as it seems that a lot of people are not happy with the death streaks. What they probably should've done is to create a 'casual area' so that people like me can get on, play with others with equal (read - very little) skill, be competitive and actually have a good time, and not have to worry about upsetting  the 'hardcore' elitist pricks.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29  Edited By jakob187

Death streaks seem like they are mainly for countering against spawn camping and grenade spamming spawn points.  Otherwise, there's really no threat to them whatsoever.  Then again, we'll have to see when the game comes out just how good/bad they are. 

Personally, I don't believe in rewarding people for dying, but at the same time, how can a person get better at the game if the really cheap players aren't giving them a chance in the first place?  I'm not saying "take it easy on them", but I am saying that all the players that bitch about Martyrdom and Last Stand usage...are the same guys that spawn camp people and 'nade spam. 

I'm not worried about my KDR, so whatever.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By sweep  Moderator

It will be interesting to see how this actually plays out. Like, if you die twice in a row and need 3 deaths to get a bouns perk, will players just throw away another life by running into crossfire blindly, or worse - just blowing themselves up with grenades at spawn? I really hope this doesn't backfire.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#31  Edited By RHCPfan24
    @SJSchmidt93 said:
    " I don't really like hardcore. 

Note: I've only played Call of Duty multiplayer for about 5 hours in my whole life. "
    Make that about 4 for me, COD4-specific. But the leveling is apparently easier so you'll have to put in a little time but eventually get advantages when you, well, suck. :P
    Relys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Relys

They took out juggernuat/martydom/last stand, and created a way to help stop spawn camping against new players.

I honestly don't see why you all have your panties in a wad.

Psytek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Psytek

maybe you unlock them by dying.. then it wouldn't be ironic?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.