Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 10, 2009

The sequel to 2007’s wildly successful first-person-shooter Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 continues the story of American and British soldiers fighting Russian ultra-nationalist forces.

Wow! What happened? O_o

• 59 results
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Jadeskye

Excuse the noob here. I played MW2 online non-stop for about a week after it came out then work and other things caused me to take a hiatus. I just booted it up today on the xbox 360 and damn. 

Whats up with all the cheaters? 

I saw a dude firing an ac130's main battery like a machine gun, another guy calling in care packages by the hundred (akimbo shotties are still in, wtf?). 

I may be being dramatic here but the game is more bullshit then i'm willing to put up with, what happened?

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By FireBurger

Haven't played in a while, but I know they're fixing the care-package glitch and the akimbo '87s have been nerfed.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By bubahula

in all my time playing i have never run in to any cheaters :P

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Jayzilla

I play WaW so I wouldn't know. I like it. Less bugs, better menus.

Bass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Bass

Patch is supposedly on the way. Though for the AC-130 thing, infinite ammo was fixed quite some time ago. I haven't seen that problem in at least a month or two.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jadeskye
    @Bass: i kid you not, saw it today, less then an hour ago.
    Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Wow. Modern Warfare 2 must've been nearly unplayable at launch. Week after week I keep hearing about these new gamebreaking glitches/bugs.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mmmslash
    @creamypies: They get discovered over time, not all at once. It's not as if the game came out, and everyone knew how to be a cheating twit.
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KowalskiManDown
    @Mmmslash: Yeah but I don't remember hearing about this many issues with previous CoD games. I ain't played any of 'em online so correct me if I'm wrong.
    Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Muttinus_Rump

I've never experienced any of these cheats or glitches. For all I know, people could just be making these things up.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Mmmslash
    @creamypies: There were plenty of cheaters in CoD4.

I guess since they added so much to the existing foundation, these sorts of things were bound to happen, right?

I think it's also worth mentioning that any game as heavily played as a MW2 is, usually has these sorts of issues. Halo 2 had BXR, that sort of thing.
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By KowalskiManDown
    @Mmmslash: Yeah fair point. I'd imagine Battlefield: Bad Company 2 will probably have similar issues.
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mmmslash
    @creamypies: Absolutely. I think the difference is that the Battlefield games have always been a little screwy, so as long as it isn't game breaking (Which, admittedly, most of these MW2 issues are), the community might actually embrace them.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By MikkaQ

Still it's really souring my experience. 

The scariest part is those cheaters I heard that give you negative experience when they kill you, and they are somehow able to get your ass back to level 1 of whatever prestige you're on. I guess just be on the look out for a whole team of level 70 prestige 10s, because it would be those dudes. 

Moztacular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Moztacular

It's down the shitter for sure. I just put mw2 back on my shelf of misfit games until a patch comes out.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jadeskye
    @XII_Sniper: I can't believe how crazy the game has become, i wouldn't have thought such a scale of cheating would be possible on the xbox 360 or PS3. 

I just did some research on the infinity ward forums and apparently they're working on a number of things, including patches and ways to ban cheaters. 

I wonder how many thousands of bans are incoming.
    Avatar image for supersecretagenda
    SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@Mmmslash said:
    " @creamypies: Absolutely. I think the difference is that the Battlefield games have always been a little screwy, so as long as it isn't game breaking (Which, admittedly, most of these MW2 issues are), the community might actually embrace them. "
    Like laying down on the wings of planes in the original Battlefield. That was the best exploit ever.
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KowalskiManDown
    @SuperSecretAgenda: ROFL! Really?!
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jadeskye
    @creamypies: Oh man...that takes me back...I used to play bf1942 like crazy back in the early naughties. That was a common one, lay down on the wings of a guy flying a plane and jump off, use your parachute and you're home free accross the map in seconds.
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mmmslash
    @SuperSecretAgenda:@creamypies: God yes, you could transport anyone that way.

We also used to have guys stand on top of hills, and we'd fly into them, and they'd hit the enter vehicle key at the right moment, and in that way, you could move fellow troops to basically anywhere on the map, as long as you had a decent pilot.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jadeskye
    @Mmmslash: mmm i used to do that, was very useful on the battle of britain map, could ferry dudes with explosives to the factory.
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By KowalskiManDown
    @SuperSecretAgenda:@jadeskye:@Mmmslash: Man that sounds awesome haha.
    CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By CornontheCobbe
    @jadeskye:  Hmmm, i have not seen the Infinite AC-130 ammo glitch in about 3 months. You sure you were not in a private glitched lobby with someone who has a J-TAG XBOX? Thats the only possible way that could be seen nowadays. 

However the Care Package Glitch is supposed to be fixed. Although today just out of curiosity about an hour ago i tried to do it, and could not so maybe it was fixed today.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't play a game anymore without the care package glitch being exploited by at least 25% of the players.  It's rediculous.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MikkaQ
    @SuperSecretAgenda said:
    " @Mmmslash said:
    " @creamypies: Absolutely. I think the difference is that the Battlefield games have always been a little screwy, so as long as it isn't game breaking (Which, admittedly, most of these MW2 issues are), the community might actually embrace them. "
    Like laying down on the wings of planes in the original Battlefield. That was the best exploit ever. "

That wasn't an exploit... THAT WAS AWESOME. But really, something like that's just kinda funny, and doesn't unbalance the game, other BF exploits I've seen people camp IN geometry, that's the real trouble.  

@jadeskye:  Yeah probably a lot, and I'm curious to see how my games are affected. Sometimes it's hard to tell if someone's either cheating or really good. If they ban a lot of cheaters, then there could be a lot of skilled players I can actually give respect without scepticism. Or I could find myself performing stupidly well. Who knows, either way, this game could improve with less cheaters and a map pack on the way. I'm excited. 
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mmmslash
    @jadeskye: Absolutely, you flyboys kept us on the front lines every moment. I've got nothing but love for the pilots of those janky, janky fighter planes.

@creamypies: The 1942 community is almost dead, although there are some private servers for them, I think if you went back to it today, having never experienced any of it before, though, a lot of the magic would be lost.

It's a shame, the act of piracy on some maps was so unbelievably game-breaking that most servers would actually ban you for it, despite it being a legitimate option provided by the game.
    wh1terav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By wh1terav3n
    @Bubahula said:
    " in all my time playing i have never run in to any cheaters :P "
    Then you don't play.@FireBurger said:
    " Haven't played in a while, but I know they're fixing the care-package glitch and the akimbo '87s have been nerfed. "
    Fixing for about 3 weeks and a glitch came out hours after they "patched" 1887s to make them ridiculous again, all that you have to do is use them bling w/ fmj. they didn't patch it if you do it that way.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jadeskye
    @Mmmslash: You're making me pine for the old days Mmmslash, i miss my crazy ass flying skillz in that game. flying so low into the enemy base you 'run over' people with the plane. 

Good times...
    Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mmmslash
    @jadeskye: You'll be happy to know that you can do very similar things with the UAV in BC2. There are a half dozen UAV 'ROAD KILL' montages on YouTube already, if you haven't caught them. It's a lot easier for the kids today, but hey, what isn't?

Are you picking up BC2, by chance? I could use some veterans to play with, and to be quite hoenst, I haven't decided which platform to get it on.
    kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kenya24
    @Jayzilla said:
    " I play WaW so I wouldn't know. I like it. Less bugs, better menus. "
    Yeah, I frequently pick shooters based on their menus....

The patch for 360 is in MS cert. Do we really need to highlight all the hacks/glitches again?
    ezekielzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By ezekielzero
    @Mmmslash:  hmm even though the online community of bf 1942 is dead i still have some fun playing it at school with friends, playing battlefield 1942 was what really got me jonesin for bad company 2
    Avatar image for deactivated-594edfbbc45ca
    deactivated-594edfbbc45ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Havn't been on Modern Warfare 2 in weeks, but I thought that infinite ammo glitch was 'fixed'.

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#33  Edited By Griddler

Yup, playing 360 right?

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TwoOneFive

yeah the 360 version is totally fucked because of all of the easy hacking. the ps3 version is being abused with the care package glitch but not that much. as soon as you call people out on it they get embarrassed and don't do it anymore. and 360's xbl staff makes releasing patches take fucking forever. i'm sure IW already has fixes for all of these issues.  

also, the double shotty thing was patched to be less damaging- which i thought was dumb because if you're gonna allow everyone to use two shot guns at once the accuracy between the two would greatly increase and the damage would also go thru the roof. they should have romoved stupid ass akimbo all together. but the IW studio just comes off very stubborn, whenever people are legitimately fed up with something they kind of patch it and tweak, instead of just getting rid of it all together. its as if they don't want to show that they may have done something wrong. 

For instance, when Socom players are absolutely pissed about people using rocket launchers, the dev's remove the weapon from ranked matches. bam. everyone was happy. But with IW in COD4 the grenade launchers all but RUIN search and destroy (especially hardcore more) but they never did anything about it even though everyone fucking hated because it was totally a way of cheating (killing the other team the second the round started because you shot a grenade straight up in the air... ridiculous) 

kenya24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By kenya24
    @Agent47CSim2 said:
    " Havn't been on Modern Warfare 2 in weeks, but I thought that infinite ammo glitch was 'fixed'. "
    It has been fixed. 

MS is absolutely killing the patches though with their certification. What if at the end of all this we find out that the patch didn't pass? They need to really examine their processes. They've built the best online community/experience for consoles hands down, with this one glaring exception. When the PS3 and PC can both be patched days/weeks before the 360, they have a serious problem. 

Also, I believe all these issues have shown why if you're going to have a heavily played multiplayer shooter, you should have an open beta first. Though it's unlikely IW learned anything since they made so much money.
    Monopolized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Monopolized
    @Jayzilla: yeah cause you don't just float in the air in WAW
    Monopolized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Monopolized
    @TwoOneFive:  technically..shooting a grenade launcher and kill the whole team isn't cheating.
    DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DCFGS3

I had my first 'dedicated server' experience recently, instant respawn on a hardcore S&D, unlimited ammo/no reload, and then after a bit low gravity. On highrise too, it was crazy, but kinda funny.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By JokerSmilez
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @ConfusedSanity said:
    " @TwoOneFive:  technically..shooting a grenade launcher and kill the whole team isn't cheating. "
    yea no shit, i said the fact that you CAN do that within just a couple of seconds of the round starting is fucking stupid 
    myslead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By myslead
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " @ConfusedSanity said:
    " @TwoOneFive:  technically..shooting a grenade launcher and kill the whole team isn't cheating. "
    yea no shit, i said the fact that you CAN do that within just a couple of seconds of the round starting is fucking stupid  "
    it's working as intended... I mean if you know where yo shoot that grenade launcher so it kills people as they come out of their spawn ... well grats to you, it's cheap, but it's not cheating.
    same thing for snipers that pick people off the windows as you try to make it out of your spawn area in High Rise.
    MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MAST

Do you guys suppose that the PS3 version is harder to cheat on? I ask because I don't ever recall coming across a cheater on the PS3. Although, I only played MW2 for about 3-4 weeks after it first launched, and haven't really played it since. So maybe by the time people figured out how to cheat, I might have stopped playing already. I plan on starting up again, but not while cheating is still rampant.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ArchScabby

seems like you got bad luck, I play all the time and almost never run into games with cehaters.

Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44  Edited By Jayross

Games messed up.

Thats about it.

If only MW2 ran on dedicated servers so IW could detect cheating... but now anyone can mod their copy or console and since it is all P2P, there is no regulation or integrity.

myslead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By myslead

well I don't know if it's because of the patch or because I played with alot of other giantbomb.com users, but all the games I played tonight were all fun.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#46  Edited By ImperiousRix

Oh wow.  Looks like I got out while the getting was good.  I never thought it could get WORSE than it was when I left. 
    Makes me sad when I think about what this game should have been and what it turned out to be.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#47  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

The recent games with the guys here seemed very fair. Care-packages don't constantly appear, no one looks like a horse when using it as a sprint booster, etc. Besides the occasional level 70 10th prestige modder, it plays pretty normal (as of now).

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jadeskye

I played again today, first thing that happened was a patch and the care package stuff seems to be gone. 

I'm much happier :D

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Skytylz

i played a game where a guy kept getting outside the map and you couldn't shoot him but he could shoot you!

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @MAST: I booted up MW2 yesterday after a few weeks of not playing it and so far it seems to run fine on the PS3. I guess it's because the 360 platform is more popular so hackers and cheaters tend to go for that (or maybe they haven't figured a way out o hack the PS3 version) but anyway from the few hours of play yesterday it seems safe enough to play.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.