Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

3DS launch date and price announced.

• 51 results
    CountMacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By CountMacula

In the US it's March 27th and $249.99 according to the kotaku's coverage from the Nintendo World event. 

So what's anyone think about the price? Too high for a handheld (costs more than a Wii doesn't it?) ? Anyone want to start predicting the date for a price drop? 

EDIT - EU date: March 25th (!). The price was said to be determined by retailers (whatever that's supposed to mean).

Blind_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Blind_Evil

I think it's a bit high.

I'll be buying one at launch.

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By septim

$250 is high, but not quite dealbreaker high. 

My decision will hinge on launch titles and concrete battery information.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'll still buy it on the first day. Anybody else with me?

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By hockeymask27

I just have a bad feeling about buying first generation Nintendo handhelds. Lets see the full launch titles in action first.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Hamz

The price seem high so they can make a price drop closer to the Christmas period. 

That said I imagine for most the real deal breaker isn't the price but the titles on offer at launch and thereafter. 

vorsic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By vorsic

That's how much I thought it was going to cost. I'm determined to buy it regardless of price.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Fallen189
    @Hamz said:
    " The price seem high so they can make a price drop closer to the Christmas period.  That said I imagine for most the real deal breaker isn't the price but the titles on offer at launch and thereafter.  "
    As an EU person, you know that converts to like 300 quid.
    CountMacula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CountMacula

Hmm, $249.99 was what I expected it to cost. Unfortunately they managed to completely neglect giving us a concrete price in the EU, but 249.99euro is the max I'm willing to pay for it.

Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lautaro

Here in Australia my guess is 399, we shall see though.

nukesniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By nukesniper
    @Hockeymask27 said:
    " I just have a bad feeling about buying first generation Nintendo handhelds. Lets see the full launch titles in action first. "
    I bought the first version of the DS, and nowadays people don't know what the hell it is when they see it. I say "Its a DS" and they usually respond with "That's huge! Is it a new one?" 

I will wait as long as possible to buy this. I bought a Gamecube at launch and got boned out of awesome colors, and I will wait until the next model of 3DS comes out. You know, the one that can brush your teeth while you sleep. Its called the 4DS and it beams games directly to your mind. And it is a sick green color. That's the one I want. *sigh*
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Marz

I was willing to shell out 300$    so 250$ sounds fine.

ashyzup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ashyzup

As i posted on the streaming thread here are the US launch titles copy pasted from 3dsforums.com: 

Nintendo has listed the titles that will be available in North America for the 3DS' launch. Touting the biggest third party launch lineup in Nintendo's history, there appears to be something for everybody. The first three titles are first party, the rest is all up to the outside publishers:

Pilotwings Resort
    Nintendogs + Cats
    Steeldiver
    Dead or Alive
    Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D
    Madden NFL
    Super Street Fighter IV 3D
    Asphalt 3D
    Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D
    Ridge Racer 3D
    Resident Evil: The Mercenaries
    LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars

Nintendo claims it should have over thirty titles before June and a library that covers all genres.

And if I may ask, anyone here knows the launch price of PSP in the US?  Just for comparison.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Should be around £180 for the UK, but we'll see how much we get screwed there. 
    Nice to see we're getting it earlier than the US though. 

Also noticed several retailers listing Pikmin 3DS and Lego Pirates of the Caribbean  :)

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Azteck

I think I'll buy a PS3 or a add to the gaming PC fund instead. I don't see how that thing can be worth that much, no matter what line-up it has.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#16  Edited By AgentJ

The price isn't really an issue for me, I just have too big a back-catalog on my XL to be buying a new portable right now. I'll wait a while, make a nice big dent in my current collection, and then pick up the 3DS XL in a year and a half.  

Oh, and the Europe price announcement? They're essentially saying "it costs too much" and are trying to shift the blame on the retailers. 

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By yoshimitz707
    @ashyzup said:
    " As i posted on the streaming thread here are the US launch titles copy pasted from 3dsforums.com:     Nintendo has listed the titles that will be available in North America for the 3DS' launch. Touting the biggest third party launch lineup in Nintendo's history, there appears to be something for everybody. The first three titles are first party, the rest is all up to the outside publishers: Pilotwings Resort Nintendogs + Cats Steeldiver Dead or Alive Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D Madden NFL Super Street Fighter IV 3D Asphalt 3D Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D Ridge Racer 3D Resident Evil: The Mercenaries LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars Nintendo claims it should have over thirty titles before June and a library that covers all genres.  And if I may ask, anyone here knows the launch price of PSP in the US?  Just for comparison. "
    The PSP launched at $250
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By penguindust

When it drops below $200 USD, I'll pick one up.  $250 is too high for a handheld.  And, remember this is Nintendo we're talking about.  In a year or two, there will be a redesign and a price readjustment.  I'll pick one up then.  It's not as if I am running out of games to play on my PC and consoles.  Besides, I use handhelds primarily for JRPGs so I need to wait until there is a good library of games on the 3DS.

BetonneTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BetonneTom

250 dollars seems a bit much but what else did you expect. I do think its is funny that exchange rates seem not important to nintendo or any other tech company. 

250 dollars is 185 euro's in todays rates, i can fucking assure you that it is gonna cost 250 in europe. WHY man WHY!?  

Raineko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Raineko

It seems like the Europe price will be 250€ which is 340$. :(

ashyzup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ashyzup

I looked it up and the PSP launched also for $249 in the US in 2005. Well considering the many upgrades the 3DS has over the PSP (glassless 3D games, 3D movies, virtual console, improved graphics, etc.), I don't think this price is that steep as what several here seems to believe.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Seems most UK retailers are going for around £230.  Guess I'm not getting one at launch. 
    That's around $365 US. 

Was always going to be more expensive over here but anything more than £190 is just a joke.

Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By Romination

It's lower than they originally announced. And that's awesome.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By xyzygy

I'm waiting for the next, smaller iteration. Nintendo always does this with their handhelds. And by that time there'll be a bigger library. So, everyone else, go out and buy 3DS's at launch so they can make great games for it when I get around to it!

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By ProfessorEss

It could 150 bucks and I still wouldn't be buying it with the game lineup they have planned.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AgentJ
    @xyzygy said:
    " I'm waiting for the next, smaller iteration. Nintendo always does this with their handhelds. And by that time there'll be a bigger library. So, everyone else, go out and buy 3DS's at launch so they can make great games for it when I get around to it! "
    Funny, I'm waiting for a larger version...
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#27  Edited By Hailinel
    @Romination said:
    " It's lower than they originally announced. And that's awesome. "
    They didn't "originally announce" anything except the Japanese price.  Then chuckleheads on the internet interpreted the direct yen to dollar conversion as the inevitable price.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By xyzygy
    @AgentJ said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " I'm waiting for the next, smaller iteration. Nintendo always does this with their handhelds. And by that time there'll be a bigger library. So, everyone else, go out and buy 3DS's at launch so they can make great games for it when I get around to it! "
    Funny, I'm waiting for a larger version... "
    Eh, I guess what I mean was the same type of conversion as the DS to the Lite. In no way would I want a smaller screen :P Just improved battery life, different design, maybe a new feature they might throw on.
    ShadowVirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

#29  Edited By ShadowVirus

Comes out the day after my birthday so that's kinda cool I guess.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By Jeust
    @BetonneTom said:

" 250 dollars seems a bit much but what else did you expect. I do think its is funny that exchange rates seem not important to nintendo or any other tech company.  250 dollars is 185 euro's in todays rates, i can fucking assure you that it is gonna cost 250 in europe. WHY man WHY!?   "

Because of two main reasons. First, most people don't do currency conversion, so 185 euros would sound cheaper than 250 dollars, and the public hates feeling robbed. And then there is the desire of a larger profit.   

The price didn't surprise me, and I'm saddened it is that expensive. Oh well I'll probably won't bother to get one. I rarely play on my DS as it is.     
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AgentJ
    @Hamz said:
    " The price seem high so they can make a price drop closer to the Christmas period.  That said I imagine for most the real deal breaker isn't the price but the titles on offer at launch and thereafter.  "
    You really think they're going to drop the price in year one? Has that ever happened before? 
    BetonneTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BetonneTom
    @Jeust: I do understand it from a buisiness perspective, but it just really gets me upset. 

It is like nintendo is saying, because you live here and not in america, you will pay 115 dollars more for the same product. 
    that is what they are doing... 115 dollars is a lot of money, for the same product.  

there is nothing anyone can do about that. How can a multinational company justify that difference to me?
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By KaosAngel

...the Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii are the same price or cheaper...and my iPhone 4 was only $199.99.  :|

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#34  Edited By Jeust
    @BetonneTom said:

" @Jeust: I do understand it from a buisiness perspective, but it just really gets me upset.  It is like nintendo is saying, because you live here and not in america, you will pay 90 dollars more for the same product. that is what they are doing... 90 dollars is a lot of money, for the same product.    there is nothing anyone can do about that. How can a multinational company justify that difference to me? "

I think this way is the way to anger less people. Most people won't care, others aren't confident enough to do currency conversion by thought, and a minority will be pissed off about the price for a while. In the end, most people will buy it regardless at one point or another. So no one in Nintendo is losing a night sleep over this. 
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#35  Edited By Binman88

Won't be buying one at launch it seems. $250 I'd pay, €250 I won't.

Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Tally_Pants

seeing as how i thought i remembered old reports saying the 3ds could be $300, then $250 is almost like saving $50 because i'd already determined my willingness to buy it. that being said...not one launch title appeals to me....so maybe, just maybe! i'll be able to hold off getting it until its first price drop. or like the ds, wait til the 3ds lite comes out! lol

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By toowalrus
    @Video_Game_King said:
    " I'll still buy it on the first day. Anybody else with me? "
    For once, VGK, I'm with you.
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#38  Edited By Hailinel
    @TooWalrus said:
    " @Video_Game_King said:
    " I'll still buy it on the first day. Anybody else with me? "
    For once, VGK, I'm with you. "
    And my ax--er, yeah, I've got one preordered.
    Cazamalos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Cazamalos

i think it's an alright price  tag
    but i'l be waiting for a price cut  (200$) and the games i want to play to come out

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#40  Edited By citizenkane

I haven't cared about portable gaming since I got the original GBA at launch.  Still, $250 seems a bit high, even for a portable 3D device.

Shaymarx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Shaymarx
    Game have it listed as £229 play have it for £219. No price listed on amazon yet. Personally I'd suggest £199 would be a better starting price as at launch there will be no online browser and no estore. With only what you pick on the day available some retailers will probably throw in a free game by the end of the first month.
    BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By BrickRoad

I'd be shocked if the price puts off enough people as to seriously dent sales. Nintendo know what they're doing. They sold a motion enabled GameCube Turbo for £179.99 and that sold out almost instantly.

Blubba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#43  Edited By Blubba

$250 actually sounds like a steal to me considering the tech. PSP was 250 at launch and many people were okay with it. Considering that it's 6 years later now and the 3DS is the same price (and remember, hardware launch prices are rising every generation), I have to say 250 is not that bad. It's a lot of money, but so is every piece of hardware at this point, that's to be expected. 

However, I'm holding out for better games. I probably won't invest until Paper Mario 3DS comes out or Animal Crossing comes out (and it's not the GameCube game again, like the DS and Wii games were).

Shaymarx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Shaymarx
    Game have a few games priced at £39.99. Seriously, why would people pay that much? 3d or not, the price of iPad games in caparison, not to mention possible big sellers such as super street fighter 4 available for £20 less on 360 and PS3 it seems like to much is being asked. Sure the Wii sold fantasicly but it came with Wii Sports...
    General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By General_D23

Going to wait for a price drop or two. Not all that interested in any of the launch window titles they've announced yet. The battery life was another thing that's kind of given me pause.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By JoeyRavn
    @General_D23 said:
    " Going to wait for a price drop or two. Not all that interested in any of the launch window titles they've announced yet. The battery life was another thing that's kind of given me pause. "
    This. Besides, I've got a plethora of games to catch up with. I just can't invest in a system that I'm probably going to use sporadically, especially knowing that revisions are bound to happen sooner than later.
    Hooded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Hooded

For £229 they can go eat poo splash. It looks pretty decent but I think it wouldn't hurt to wait. Normally I buy things on Launch day but I can see this dropping price when PSP2 comes out.  Then I can pick up some games for a little cheaper.

Also I think I will wait until Apple announces iPad 2. I want an iPad this year and i'm willing to wait for the next one,  I don't see it having the same tech this time around but i'm sure Apple are looking into the tech and and I think the iPad is the perfect screen size to show off this new tech.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Kjellm87

Maybe they just should have used old tech, which may make it look dated, but at least the price is low, eh?

Also this was pretty awesome:

Hooded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Hooded

@Kjellm87 said:

" Maybe they just should have used old tech, which may make it look dated, but at least the price is low, eh?

Also this was pretty awesome:

"
     Yo dawg! Samus in DOA:D? :O
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Romination
    @Hailinel: Touche

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.