Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Gonna pirate games? Your 3DS has a self destruct button...

• 52 results
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

Aaaww.. I kinda wish the 3DS had a literal self destruct button. They should at least create a fictional one for a James Bond movie..

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Jeffsekai

It would be great if it actually exploded.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Animasta

sucks for Europeans and Aussies :/

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By JoeyRavn

Yeah. That's what they've been saying for the Wii too. "Firmware updates can brick your console if you've installed illegal software". Whatever protection they throw in, it's cracked within the week.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By IBurningStar

If you pirate a game then the start button changes and now arms the bomb inside the 3DS. You hit it once to arm the bomb, hit it again to disarm. I highly advise you never to pause your pirated games. Unless you want to see an explosion in the most realistic 3D ever.

Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Boiglenoight
    @JoeyRavn said:
    " Yeah. That's what they've been saying for the Wii too. "Firmware updates can brick your console if you've installed illegal software". Whatever protection they throw in, it's cracked within the week. "
    Yeap.  While I think it'd be great if Nintendo pulled it off, hackers will get around whatever companies try to implement.
    Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Cameron

One of the first things hackers usually figure out how to do is create a recovery mode in case you accidentally brick your system. Besides, the only way this could work is if you choose to update while you have a custom firmware running. As long as you just keep installing whatever custom firmware people put out, then this won't be a problem. It's not like Nintendo has any idea how the internet works or how to design a competent online platform, so you know this won't be anything super sophisticated.

MisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MisterChief

Nintendo have proven time and time again that they have the worst security in the business. I doubt the 3DS and its defences will last very long.

monstersnsoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By monstersnsoup

I'm a little peeved about how much energy seemingly goes into copy protection or drm or whatever you want to call it. Hackers are gonna hack, and they are not limited by time and budget constraint

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Jayzilla

hackers gonna hack, and ball don't lie ~Ron-Ron Artest.

Lautaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By Lautaro
    @monstersnsoup said:
    " I'm a little peeved about how much energy seemingly goes into copy protection or drm or whatever you want to call it. Hackers are gonna hack, and they are not limited by time and budget constraint "
    They may as well try to do something.
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

A lot of consoles already do this.  

This isn't exactly new.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15  Edited By buft
    @IBurningStar said:
    " If you pirate a game then the start button changes and now arms the bomb inside the 3DS. You hit it once to arm the bomb, hit it again to disarm. I highly advise you never to pause your pirated games. Unless you want to see an explosion in the most realistic 3D ever. "
    its like the cheap plastic and Taiwanese parts are coming right at me! 
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By ch13696

I give it about 6 months from now till someone proves Nintendo wrong.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#17  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @ch13696 said:
    " I give it about 6 months from now till someone proves Nintendo wrong. "
    I'll take that bet and raise it. 3 months!
    Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Turambar

I damn well hope hackers get around this.  If I can't play any more fan-translated Super Robot Wars games, I'll be rather pissed. 

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MikkaQ

Well it's not like you're missing anything by keeping your Nintendo products offline. 

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#20  Edited By Hailinel
    @Abyssfull said:
    " Aaaww.. I kinda wish the 3DS had a literal self destruct button. They should at least create a fictional one for a James Bond movie.. "
    PIRATED SOFTWARE DETECTED.  THIS 3DS UNIT WILL SELF-DESTRUCT IN 3, 2...
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#21  Edited By JasonR86

I don't know how I feel about this to be honest.  On the one hand, those who pirate games should be punished and it is way to easy to get away with it.  On the other, they did give Nintendo $250 to own that hardware.  If it is owned, shouldn't you be allowed to do whatever you want with it?  This is a tough issue.  I guess no one has to worry about this if they just don't put a pirated game on the system.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By RE_Player1
    @XII_Sniper said:
    " Well it's not like you're missing anything by keeping your Nintendo products offline.  "
    For the download store you may be right from what we've seen with Wiiware and DSiware but lots of games are going to better support online play and with a system friend code instead of a friend code for each game people will want to play with their friends more online. 
    matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By matpaget
    @IBurningStar said:
    " If you pirate a game then the start button changes and now arms the bomb inside the 3DS. You hit it once to arm the bomb, hit it again to disarm. I highly advise you never to pause your pirated games. Unless you want to see an explosion in the most realistic 3D ever. "
    Don't forget it's a realistic 3D explosion WITHOUT those silly looking glasses!
    memo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By memo

I like this a a lot. I buy my games cause I like to support developers. Now I can laugh at my cousin that has a R4 and pirates all his games.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MikkaQ
    @RE_Player92 said:
    " @XII_Sniper said:
    " Well it's not like you're missing anything by keeping your Nintendo products offline.  "
    For the download store you may be right from what we've seen with Wiiware and DSiware but lots of games are going to better support online play and with a system friend code instead of a friend code for each game people will want to play with their friends more online.  "
    Well online play is something I never find exciting in a portable game. The whole reason I like them is because you can play outdated styles of games that work better on a portable format. I guess all that is changing, but I still don't think Nintendo is really prioritizing online play in their games, even with system-wide friend codes, there's no real centralized service like Xbox LIve or Playstation Network, it still feels like a bit of a relic of the previous generation's online games.  

It's definitely better, and I look forward to seeing what comes out of it, but I'm rather skeptical at the moment. 
    NobodyHIFI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NobodyHIFI

I glad my PC BIOS doesn't have this feature. 

the hardware is the consumers property to do as they wish once they buy it.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By keyhunter

But..The whole point of handhelds is to customize them with a bunch of custom shit that would otherwise never be available. Like when I used my PSP to read .PDF's.
    The dual screen setup would make the 3DS perfect for .PDF viewing. I sure hope some hacker cracker relentless attackers get in there and do some dirt on nintendo's new handheld. And quickly.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#28  Edited By Hailinel
    @keyhunter said:
    " But..The whole point of handhelds is to customize them with a bunch of custom shit that would otherwise never be available. Like when I used my PSP to read .PDF's. The dual screen setup would make the 3DS perfect for .PDF viewing. I sure hope some hacker cracker relentless attackers get in there and do some dirt on nintendo's new handheld. And quickly. "
    lolwut.

The point of handheld devices is to use them for their intended purpose as designed by the manufacturer.  And after the rampant piracy on the DS and PSP, using PDF reading of all things as an excuse for cracking is essentially bullshit.  (And I for one have never heard of anyone using a DS or PSP to read PDF documents.)
    time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By time allen

instead of giving reasons to buy and not pirate, nintendo wastes time with this bs, which is only going to attract hackers lol

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By ch13696
    @SpikeSpiegel said:
    " @ch13696 said:
    I'll take that bet and raise it. 3 months! "
    Then it's a bet. Meet me back here on the sunrise of June 11th. We will see who wins this.
    BlazeHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#31  Edited By BlazeHedgehog
    @Hailinel said:
    lolwut.  The point of handheld devices is to use them for their intended purpose as designed by the manufacturer.
    iPhone says hi.
    keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By keyhunter
    @Hailinel said:
    " @keyhunter said:
    " But..The whole point of handhelds is to customize them with a bunch of custom shit that would otherwise never be available. Like when I used my PSP to read .PDF's. The dual screen setup would make the 3DS perfect for .PDF viewing. I sure hope some hacker cracker relentless attackers get in there and do some dirt on nintendo's new handheld. And quickly. "
    lolwut.  The point of handheld devices is to use them for their intended purpose as designed by the manufacturer.  And after the rampant piracy on the DS and PSP, using PDF reading of all things as an excuse for cracking is essentially bullshit.  (And I for one have never heard of anyone using a DS or PSP to read PDF documents.) "
    I don't want to carry a goddamned nook or kindle to work. Those things are waaay to big. If you're gonna be reading books on an industrial job site it has to be on something you can slip into your pocket so you don't get fired. Mind you, this was back before smart phones were a thing. I dunno if smart phones can read PDF's yet. I totally read the entire wheel of time series on a PSP. And it wouldn't have otherwise been possible without hacked firmware.
    tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33  Edited By tebbit
    @SpikeSpiegel said:
    " @ch13696 said:
    I'll take that bet and raise it. 3 months! "
    Hackers does what Nintendon't
    ness42153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By ness42153

This does nothing to protect against emulators that will be created for computers. I admire this attempt, but its still not good enough for those determined to play games without paying for them regardless if they want the 3d option or not

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " It would be great if it actually exploded. "
    Great idea!
    m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By m1k3

nice way to issue a challenge to hackers Nintendo

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By Meowayne

The Wii had the same disclaimer. This is not a "threat", it is just fact: When you softmod your console, an official firmware update might brick it. It has happened before. 

Talk about making "news" from nothing.

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Sayishere

All rumours to be honest

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#39  Edited By apathylad

Nintendo should just do what Link's Awakening did when you stole from the shop. You will always be called THIEF! That traumatized me as a kid. 

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Hailinel said:
    " @keyhunter said:
    lolwut.  The point of handheld devices is to use them for their intended purpose as designed by the manufacturer.  And after the rampant piracy on the DS and PSP, using PDF reading of all things as an excuse for cracking is essentially bullshit.  (And I for one have never heard of anyone using a DS or PSP to read PDF documents.) "
    It all feeds into the "technology as a product or as a service" argument. I think that just because people can exploit openness by pirating games doesn't justify locking everything down. Piracy is gonna happen whether the system is open or not. Look at Apple, the most closed manufacturer of technology in the business. Jailbreaks for Apple products exist. And just a little tip, starting your response with "lolwut" doesnot win you any credibility, and also makes you look dismissive.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#41  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It was only to be expected with the level of piracy on the DS, but like others in this thread have said there'll be a crack for it in no time.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#42  Edited By Icemael

They region-lock a handheld system for the first time in history, and now they're threatening to disable my system if I want to play America/Japan-only games without buying two other devices?

Man, fuck that.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By penguindust

Any issue regarding the "bricking" of the 3DS will likely be overcome by the hackers with time, however I do think it's possible for Nintendo to invalidate your ability to play games online if they suspect you might have altered the firmware to enable homebrew software. 

Stefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 27

#44  Edited By Stefan

bullshit, they can try but they will lose... as always. I am all for buying games, sure but I want my platform to be as open as possible. The original Xbox Media Center for example ruled my TV for a very long time and I still bought 32 original Xbox games.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Kjellm87

Considering the past there is no wonder console makers today might go extreme. 
    No matter what your option about pirating is, it is illegal, nothing can change that.

@Apathylad:
    Ha ha, yea I remember that.

SteevDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SteevDave

Well I am in favor of things like home-brew apps and importing however we all know that's not what the majority of people who hack consoles do. I also think that the NGP will likely do the same.

Evilmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Evilmetal

if the 'self destruct button' can't be removed, why would someone who 'pirates' want to invest in the hardware?  There is the iphone and itouch... people can bootleg games on those systems. Essentially by putting a 'self destruct' in the 3DS, Nintendo just said to those folks "Go buy an iphone" or itouch. 

The 3DS is a dead system anyway. It's much more cool and hip to hold an iphone or similar device, than it is to hold a DS or 3DS. Someone will use the iphone to make a phone call or use the itouch to play music... there are legitimate reasons for holding and using such devices. What' the reason for holding a 3DS? "Games you moron".  HA, that's soo 1-Dimensional.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#48  Edited By LordAndrew

Yeah, whatever. Like it's gonna work anyway. In a few weeks there will be a solution available and I'll be able to play all the European import shovelware I want.

SpudBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#49  Edited By SpudBug

It should just permanently display the Dennis Nedry animation from JP until the battery dies and won't take a charge again. 

AH AH AH! AH AH AH! AH AH AH!

krystians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By krystians
    @Abyssfull:  It should snap photos and alert other users using streetpass to kick the ass off the pirate!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.