Gonna pirate games? Your 3DS has a self destruct button...

  • 52 results
  • 1
  • 2
#2 Posted by Yummylee (21540 posts) -

Aaaww.. I kinda wish the 3DS had a literal self destruct button. They should at least create a fictional one for a James Bond movie..

Online
#3 Posted by Jeffsekai (7028 posts) -

It would be great if it actually exploded.

#4 Posted by Animasta (14673 posts) -

sucks for Europeans and Aussies :/

#5 Posted by JoeyRavn (4968 posts) -

Yeah. That's what they've been saying for the Wii too. "Firmware updates can brick your console if you've installed illegal software". Whatever protection they throw in, it's cracked within the week.

Online
#6 Posted by IBurningStar (2164 posts) -

If you pirate a game then the start button changes and now arms the bomb inside the 3DS. You hit it once to arm the bomb, hit it again to disarm. I highly advise you never to pause your pirated games. Unless you want to see an explosion in the most realistic 3D ever.

#7 Posted by Boiglenoight (531 posts) -
@JoeyRavn said:
" Yeah. That's what they've been saying for the Wii too. "Firmware updates can brick your console if you've installed illegal software". Whatever protection they throw in, it's cracked within the week. "
Yeap.  While I think it'd be great if Nintendo pulled it off, hackers will get around whatever companies try to implement.
#9 Posted by Cameron (597 posts) -

One of the first things hackers usually figure out how to do is create a recovery mode in case you accidentally brick your system. Besides, the only way this could work is if you choose to update while you have a custom firmware running. As long as you just keep installing whatever custom firmware people put out, then this won't be a problem. It's not like Nintendo has any idea how the internet works or how to design a competent online platform, so you know this won't be anything super sophisticated.

#10 Posted by MisterChief (831 posts) -

Nintendo have proven time and time again that they have the worst security in the business. I doubt the 3DS and its defences will last very long.

#11 Posted by monstersnsoup (80 posts) -

I'm a little peeved about how much energy seemingly goes into copy protection or drm or whatever you want to call it. Hackers are gonna hack, and they are not limited by time and budget constraint

#12 Posted by Jayzilla (2560 posts) -

hackers gonna hack, and ball don't lie ~Ron-Ron Artest.

#13 Posted by Lautaro (448 posts) -
@monstersnsoup said:
" I'm a little peeved about how much energy seemingly goes into copy protection or drm or whatever you want to call it. Hackers are gonna hack, and they are not limited by time and budget constraint "
They may as well try to do something.
#14 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

A lot of consoles already do this.  
 
This isn't exactly new.

#15 Posted by buft (3316 posts) -
@IBurningStar said:
" If you pirate a game then the start button changes and now arms the bomb inside the 3DS. You hit it once to arm the bomb, hit it again to disarm. I highly advise you never to pause your pirated games. Unless you want to see an explosion in the most realistic 3D ever. "
its like the cheap plastic and Taiwanese parts are coming right at me! 
#16 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

I give it about 6 months from now till someone proves Nintendo wrong.

#17 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -
@ch13696 said:
" I give it about 6 months from now till someone proves Nintendo wrong. "
I'll take that bet and raise it. 3 months!
#18 Posted by Turambar (6739 posts) -

I damn well hope hackers get around this.  If I can't play any more fan-translated Super Robot Wars games, I'll be rather pissed. 

Online
#19 Posted by MikkaQ (10284 posts) -

Well it's not like you're missing anything by keeping your Nintendo products offline. 

#20 Posted by Hailinel (24421 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" Aaaww.. I kinda wish the 3DS had a literal self destruct button. They should at least create a fictional one for a James Bond movie.. "
PIRATED SOFTWARE DETECTED.  THIS 3DS UNIT WILL SELF-DESTRUCT IN 3, 2...
#21 Posted by JasonR86 (9658 posts) -

I don't know how I feel about this to be honest.  On the one hand, those who pirate games should be punished and it is way to easy to get away with it.  On the other, they did give Nintendo $250 to own that hardware.  If it is owned, shouldn't you be allowed to do whatever you want with it?  This is a tough issue.  I guess no one has to worry about this if they just don't put a pirated game on the system.

#22 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -
@XII_Sniper said:
" Well it's not like you're missing anything by keeping your Nintendo products offline.  "
For the download store you may be right from what we've seen with Wiiware and DSiware but lots of games are going to better support online play and with a system friend code instead of a friend code for each game people will want to play with their friends more online. 
#23 Posted by MatPaget (1115 posts) -
@IBurningStar said:
" If you pirate a game then the start button changes and now arms the bomb inside the 3DS. You hit it once to arm the bomb, hit it again to disarm. I highly advise you never to pause your pirated games. Unless you want to see an explosion in the most realistic 3D ever. "
Don't forget it's a realistic 3D explosion WITHOUT those silly looking glasses!
#24 Posted by memo (421 posts) -

I like this a a lot. I buy my games cause I like to support developers. Now I can laugh at my cousin that has a R4 and pirates all his games.

#25 Posted by MikkaQ (10284 posts) -
@RE_Player92 said:
" @XII_Sniper said:
" Well it's not like you're missing anything by keeping your Nintendo products offline.  "
For the download store you may be right from what we've seen with Wiiware and DSiware but lots of games are going to better support online play and with a system friend code instead of a friend code for each game people will want to play with their friends more online.  "
Well online play is something I never find exciting in a portable game. The whole reason I like them is because you can play outdated styles of games that work better on a portable format. I guess all that is changing, but I still don't think Nintendo is really prioritizing online play in their games, even with system-wide friend codes, there's no real centralized service like Xbox LIve or Playstation Network, it still feels like a bit of a relic of the previous generation's online games.  
 
It's definitely better, and I look forward to seeing what comes out of it, but I'm rather skeptical at the moment. 
#26 Posted by NobodyHIFI (96 posts) -

I glad my PC BIOS doesn't have this feature. 
 
the hardware is the consumers property to do as they wish once they buy it.

#27 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -

But..The whole point of handhelds is to customize them with a bunch of custom shit that would otherwise never be available. Like when I used my PSP to read .PDF's.
The dual screen setup would make the 3DS perfect for .PDF viewing. I sure hope some hacker cracker relentless attackers get in there and do some dirt on nintendo's new handheld. And quickly.

#28 Posted by Hailinel (24421 posts) -
@keyhunter said:
" But..The whole point of handhelds is to customize them with a bunch of custom shit that would otherwise never be available. Like when I used my PSP to read .PDF's. The dual screen setup would make the 3DS perfect for .PDF viewing. I sure hope some hacker cracker relentless attackers get in there and do some dirt on nintendo's new handheld. And quickly. "
lolwut.
 
The point of handheld devices is to use them for their intended purpose as designed by the manufacturer.  And after the rampant piracy on the DS and PSP, using PDF reading of all things as an excuse for cracking is essentially bullshit.  (And I for one have never heard of anyone using a DS or PSP to read PDF documents.)
#29 Posted by Toms115 (2316 posts) -

instead of giving reasons to buy and not pirate, nintendo wastes time with this bs, which is only going to attract hackers lol

#30 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -
@SpikeSpiegel said:
" @ch13696 said:
" I give it about 6 months from now till someone proves Nintendo wrong. "
I'll take that bet and raise it. 3 months! "
Then it's a bet. Meet me back here on the sunrise of June 11th. We will see who wins this.
#31 Posted by BlazeHedgehog (1091 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
lolwut.  The point of handheld devices is to use them for their intended purpose as designed by the manufacturer.
iPhone says hi.
#32 Posted by keyhunter (3207 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @keyhunter said:
" But..The whole point of handhelds is to customize them with a bunch of custom shit that would otherwise never be available. Like when I used my PSP to read .PDF's. The dual screen setup would make the 3DS perfect for .PDF viewing. I sure hope some hacker cracker relentless attackers get in there and do some dirt on nintendo's new handheld. And quickly. "
lolwut.  The point of handheld devices is to use them for their intended purpose as designed by the manufacturer.  And after the rampant piracy on the DS and PSP, using PDF reading of all things as an excuse for cracking is essentially bullshit.  (And I for one have never heard of anyone using a DS or PSP to read PDF documents.) "
I don't want to carry a goddamned nook or kindle to work. Those things are waaay to big. If you're gonna be reading books on an industrial job site it has to be on something you can slip into your pocket so you don't get fired. Mind you, this was back before smart phones were a thing. I dunno if smart phones can read PDF's yet. I totally read the entire wheel of time series on a PSP. And it wouldn't have otherwise been possible without hacked firmware.
#33 Posted by Tebbit (4461 posts) -
@SpikeSpiegel said:
" @ch13696 said:
" I give it about 6 months from now till someone proves Nintendo wrong. "
I'll take that bet and raise it. 3 months! "
Hackers does what Nintendon't
#34 Posted by ness42153 (13 posts) -

This does nothing to protect against emulators that will be created for computers. I admire this attempt, but its still not good enough for those determined to play games without paying for them regardless if they want the 3d option or not

#35 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -
@Jeffsekai said:
" It would be great if it actually exploded. "
Great idea!
#36 Posted by m1k3 (1327 posts) -

nice way to issue a challenge to hackers Nintendo

#37 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

The Wii had the same disclaimer. This is not a "threat", it is just fact: When you softmod your console, an official firmware update might brick it. It has happened before. 
 
Talk about making "news" from nothing.

#38 Posted by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

All rumours to be honest

#39 Posted by Apathylad (3066 posts) -

Nintendo should just do what Link's Awakening did when you stole from the shop. You will always be called THIEF! That traumatized me as a kid. 

#40 Posted by President_Barackbar (3455 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @keyhunter said:
" But..The whole point of handhelds is to customize them with a bunch of custom shit that would otherwise never be available. Like when I used my PSP to read .PDF's. The dual screen setup would make the 3DS perfect for .PDF viewing. I sure hope some hacker cracker relentless attackers get in there and do some dirt on nintendo's new handheld. And quickly. "
lolwut.  The point of handheld devices is to use them for their intended purpose as designed by the manufacturer.  And after the rampant piracy on the DS and PSP, using PDF reading of all things as an excuse for cracking is essentially bullshit.  (And I for one have never heard of anyone using a DS or PSP to read PDF documents.) "
It all feeds into the "technology as a product or as a service" argument. I think that just because people can exploit openness by pirating games doesn't justify locking everything down. Piracy is gonna happen whether the system is open or not. Look at Apple, the most closed manufacturer of technology in the business. Jailbreaks for Apple products exist. And just a little tip, starting your response with "lolwut" does not win you any credibility, and also makes you look dismissive.
#41 Posted by Gamer_152 (14072 posts) -

It was only to be expected with the level of piracy on the DS, but like others in this thread have said there'll be a crack for it in no time.

Moderator
#42 Posted by Icemael (6317 posts) -

They region-lock a handheld system for the first time in history, and now they're threatening to disable my system if I want to play America/Japan-only games without buying two other devices?

Man, fuck that.

#43 Posted by PenguinDust (12496 posts) -

Any issue regarding the "bricking" of the 3DS will likely be overcome by the hackers with time, however I do think it's possible for Nintendo to invalidate your ability to play games online if they suspect you might have altered the firmware to enable homebrew software. 

#44 Posted by Stefan (519 posts) -

bullshit, they can try but they will lose... as always. I am all for buying games, sure but I want my platform to be as open as possible. The original Xbox Media Center for example ruled my TV for a very long time and I still bought 32 original Xbox games.

#45 Posted by Kjellm87 (1728 posts) -

Considering the past there is no wonder console makers today might go extreme. 
No matter what your option about pirating is, it is illegal, nothing can change that.
 
@Apathylad:
Ha ha, yea I remember that.

#46 Posted by SteevDave (12 posts) -

Well I am in favor of things like home-brew apps and importing however we all know that's not what the majority of people who hack consoles do. I also think that the NGP will likely do the same.

#47 Posted by Evilmetal (468 posts) -

if the 'self destruct button' can't be removed, why would someone who 'pirates' want to invest in the hardware?  There is the iphone and itouch... people can bootleg games on those systems. Essentially by putting a 'self destruct' in the 3DS, Nintendo just said to those folks "Go buy an iphone" or itouch. 
 
The 3DS is a dead system anyway. It's much more cool and hip to hold an iphone or similar device, than it is to hold a DS or 3DS. Someone will use the iphone to make a phone call or use the itouch to play music... there are legitimate reasons for holding and using such devices. What' the reason for holding a 3DS? "Games you moron".  HA, that's soo 1-Dimensional.

#48 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -

Yeah, whatever. Like it's gonna work anyway. In a few weeks there will be a solution available and I'll be able to play all the European import shovelware I want.

#49 Posted by SpudBug (633 posts) -

It should just permanently display the Dennis Nedry animation from JP until the battery dies and won't take a charge again. 
 
AH AH AH! AH AH AH! AH AH AH!

#50 Posted by krystians (403 posts) -
@Abyssfull:  It should snap photos and alert other users using streetpass to kick the ass off the pirate!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.