Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Nintendo 3DS

Platform »

The Nintendo 3DS is a portable game console produced by Nintendo. The handheld features stereoscopic 3D technology that doesn't require glasses. It was released in Japan on February 26, 2011 and in North America on March 27, 2011.

Hell Hath No Fury Like a Nintendo Fan Scorned

FoolishChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By FoolishChaos

Uh... who cares? Well I guess some people do, I just don't understand why. People didn't blow a fucking gasket when the Wii Motion Plus came out.

Soulblitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#102  Edited By Soulblitz

If they do the ridiculous as Patrick described in the post, and Iwata brings out a new 3DS with a second circle pad, at a cheaper price, and all the other shit, then I should be able to go into my local games store and do a straight trade for that shit. I've gotten use out of my 3DS, and it's a cool bit of hardware, but I'd much rather have my £65 difference that I lost out on in the price drop than ANOTHER fucking set of classic Nintendo games that I've already fucking played and completed.

I mean yeah, the GBA games are gonna be cool, but for fuck sake Nintendo. Sort it the FUCK out.

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By mnzy

I really don't like Monster Hunter.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#104  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @lizzard2 said:
    @Atramentous: cool ..hey you want to buy my dualshock 3 with no start button and in 6 months i'll sell you a sweet start button to you for a great price ok? im not ripping you off i promise. :P
    No thanks, I will pass. 

See what I did there to avoid being "ripped off"? The gaming community at large is so full of unfounded entailment that its ridiculous. We want new shit but we bitch about change. We bitch about things we didnt ask for even if they aren't forced down our throats. This Op Ed disguised as a news article is just throwing raw meat to rabid dogs. 
    Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#105  Edited By Wacomole

After the Ambassador Programme following the price drop, do we envisage a Special Envoy to the High Commissioner Programme upcoming?

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@YukoAsho said:

@Everyones_A_Critic said:

I really should sell the fucking thing. I got suckered into adopting early and since then I've yet to play a single game on it that I really enjoy playing. I gave Ridge Racer 3D a shot, but racing games just don't hold my interest. I even bought fucking Ocarina of Time and it just bored the shit out of me (yeah, yeah, yeah, save it fanboys). I couldn't give two shits about this add-on. It's not like the Wii Motion Plus was used much by 3rd party developers, same with that balance board. I just want a fucking game to play, is that too much to ask Nintendo? And I'd prefer if there was actually, you know, one or two third party developers that would actually support the thing instead of loading it with shovelware (with Namco and Capcom being the only two real exceptions). /rant.

You know, I'd be totally fine with Nintendo being the only publisher for their hardware if they'd just stray from the mascots and non-gaming software. The company lives almost exclusively on nostalgia, and it was tiresome around the GameCube era.

Couldn't agree more. I saw Star Fox 64 3D and was suckered in by nostalgia. I just found out that game comes out this Friday and, well, I wonder if I even want it anymore. It was really fun as a kid, but I don't know if it'll hold my interest now. At this point, I see myself getting Mario Kart and unlocking everything before I sell it off for good. I just don't have as much invested in Nintendo's mascot titles as I used to. It's funny, because shortly after getting the 3DS I picked up a Gamecube for $30 and got much more use out of that.

TadThuggish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 41

#107  Edited By TadThuggish

@Warchief said:

Nintendo fans will accept anything the company does because they have blinders on. We are talking about a fan base that is 100% cool with buying the same games with the same mechanics from the same franchises without missing a beat.

Nintendo fans are sheep, its just that simple.

CUT MY LIFE INTO PIECES

THIS IS MY LAST RESORT

Beb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#108  Edited By Beb

@Zaxex said:

It's just peripheral isn't it? Like the Guitar Hero add-on for another DS?

Probably makes sense in Japan, where Monster hunter is Call of Duty levels of popular.

What has this got to do with the 3DS as a system? Are they basing a revision on this Monster Hunter thing? Seems pretty irrelevant otherwise.

This.

I think it's silly to get upset about this. Worst case, they will bundle the add-on with "big" games that use it. If you don't play those games, then you don't need it.

ninjalegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By ninjalegend

Ok, now where does the disk drive and the 3DSX snap on to. It's alive! IT'S ALIVE!!

Dookysharpgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#110  Edited By Dookysharpgun

I can't wrap my head around how this would have ever been a good idea...not now anyway. This is the breaking point for Nintendo, they've been hit pretty hard with criticism over the last year, and the 3DS underperformed to such an extent that nintendo is attempting to salvage it in any way, shape and form. And even then, the best they can do is another thumbstick. These are the same people who managed to sell motion controls? The people who made hundreds of millions off of the wii and ds? I...I don't understand what's wrong with these people...we're all entitled to a few questionable decisions in our lives, but rarely do those decisions end up costing up a little more than some embarrassment. People are pissed, they wanted something substantial, something that would make purchasing a 3DS worthwhile, and yet they get this instead? Are nintendo living in a cave? On the bloody moon? Have they not gotten the freaking message already, because people seem to be yelling it loud and clear.  If this adds some major improvements to the console, it still won't draw people in, because they'll still have to buy it. And if you paid 250 quid on day one, you're hardly going to pay more for an addition that should have been part of the console in the first place. The 3DS has a fairly bad hardware design, and any additions should be aimed at fixing those problems for an affordable price.

Really makes you question whether they really had any plans for the 3DS or not, given the current track record.

Czarpyotr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#111  Edited By Czarpyotr

I don't even care anymore. My dedicated N64 emulator can continue to sit on the shelf only to be brought out when another childhood game is updated and portable. Fucking lame.

jackelbeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By jackelbeaver

I dont see how this devalues the system I bought. If its anything like the nunchuck it will probably cost nothing to produce and sell.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Kjellm87

Mission accomplished, Patrick. The news will get site-hits.

I want to like this site, it has good content. But man is it a painful site to be a Nintendo fan on. On more Nintendo related sites the news goes up and down like every normal company, here it just seems like doom and gloom. Tiresome.

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By HydraHam

People will bitch about everything.

TiE23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#115  Edited By TiE23

What's weird... I dislike most Japanese games. IMO: Dragon Quest is a pile of crap, Final Fantasy is goofy as hell, Mario is sorta blown out of proportion, I don't get Smash Bros., Kirby is dumb, Zelda hasn't progressed since 1998 ... I love Team Ico, though.

But then I buy Monster Hunter Freedom Unite for the PSP. At first it's a load of ass and difficult... but after a few hours time... I really, really, REALLY wanna get the next MH game on the Vita. I just love the combat aspect. It's unforgiving and requires your full attention. Playing co-op over AdHoc Party is some of the best time I've had with my PSP, and I wanna see more stateside of the series.

nunsandroses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By nunsandroses

@Kjellm87: It's reporting, but there's no pretense of impartiality. If the people writing the articles think Nintendo is doing stupid thing after stupid thing, then they're going to say it. If you really have a hard time hearing people say "Man, that's really dumb, Nintendo", then you have bigger problems than that.

aceofspudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By aceofspudz
    RaidenMitsuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By RaidenMitsuru

I don't really care.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#119  Edited By EpicSteve

This is arguably even more evidence that Japan, Nintendo especially, is becoming less relevant and more out of touch with what the majority want out of the game industry.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Kjellm87

@NunsandRoses said:

@Kjellm87: It's reporting, but there's no pretense of impartiality. If the people writing the articles think Nintendo is doing stupid thing after stupid thing, then they're going to say it. If you really have a hard time hearing people say "Man, that's really dumb, Nintendo", then you have bigger problems than that.

Um,sure. But I think it gets out of hands at times.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#121  Edited By damnboyadvance

It's not even funny how ignorant Nintendo is. Not anymore. It's just sad now, especially for a company that was at the top of it's game a few years ago. It's that stupid mindset of their's that brought them success, and is now bringing them utter failure. 

Avatar image for onlyzemeryalive
    onlyzemeryalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By onlyzemeryalive

3DX, Nuff said.

Avatar image for spicy_jasonator
    spicy_jasonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By spicy_jasonator

That picture of the new add-on is from a subsection of an article specifically about Monster Hunter, and the jumbo text surrounding the image says, "MH3(tri-)G Secret Weapon: Expansion Slide-Pad", and "Installs easily and allows more comfortable hunting." There's not really anything indicating that it is going to be anything more than an optional accessory specifically for MH.

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Robo

Much like the 3DS itself, this really isn't that big of a deal.

Suigyoken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Suigyoken

Welp, there goes my buy for a 3DS still, I was so close to going ahead and diving in with the crimson one, but I think there might be another hardware revision along the life of the system.

ChrisInCali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By ChrisInCali
    @Styl3s said:

People will bitch about everything.

I like how you tried to pass this off as a non-issue.  Cute.  Nintendo got greedy and burned a lot of fans by way over-pricing this hardware at $250 then dropping it in 5 months by $80.  If this add-on turns out to be something that a lot of games use in the future, or incorporated into a redesign, that's another huge slap in the face to early adopters.  So yeah, it's worth "bitching" about.

If nobody "bitched" about anything in life corporate greedy would run rampant.
    TehFlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By TehFlan

At first this just had me confused, but there's no evidence yet that this is gonna be used for anything other than Monster Hunter. I'll hold off on the fury until I have more information, since I'm not just an angry internet asshole.

MJames70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By MJames70
    @NoelVeiga: I agree with you....the site claims to want to take news seriously, but then does stuff like this. I called out Alex Navarro for his childish screed about the Deus Ex/Gamestop affair  masquerading as news, but no one cares. It is clear this is not going to be a news site. There is a time and place for editorials, and they have a podcast where they can offer opinions. Just keep it out of the news stories. And they wonder why game journalists aren't taken seriously....
    Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#129  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@EgoCheck616 said:

Fuck everything about this. I hope GameStop enjoys their my used Nintendo 3DS.

You could just not buy the thing. This isn't world-shattering, end-of-days stuff. Calm down.

priorityseven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By priorityseven

@Kjellm87 said:

Mission accomplished, Patrick. The news will get site-hits.

I want to like this site, it has good content. But man is it a painful site to be a Nintendo fan on. On more Nintendo related sites the news goes up and down like every normal company, here it just seems like doom and gloom. Tiresome.

Then go to the more Nintendo related sites. I'm not sure what the complaint is here. This very topic is on almost every gaming blog/forum and a lot of folks are heated about it. How is this in any way Patrick trying to get site-hits?

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Afroman269

I'll contain my hate until the press conference.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
    deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is why I'v kept my DS Lite for so long. Because nintendo has slacked on the handhelds for a good couple of years lately. 

amomjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By amomjc

Vita, here I come.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Vorbis

Looks like waiting paid off, I'll pick up the inevitable revision next year.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Afroman269

@EveretteScott said:

I'm still not getting people being upset with this. Handhelds come out. Handhelds get changed and re-released. Same goes for consoles. Has something changed and this is different?

They don't usually drastically drop the price or have some hardware add-on in the same year it initially launched. People have a right to be upset about being burned on that, but of course there are always people who will take it to the extreme.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By kashif1

So I guess I won't change my plan to buy it when Kid Icarus comes out

lizzard2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By lizzard2
    @Atramentous: Im sorry but IF (and i mean IF) this new thumbstick will get used with all new games that will come out in the future and you buy it you have been ript off ,its not a little shitty thing, another thumbstick on a gaming device is a huge improvement for games and you really want it. and it should not been released sepreatly. You Sir are a great consumer ,open you wallet :P
    NeoAthanasius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By NeoAthanasius

If Nintendo shows a new 3DS next week, then I will sell mine and put that money towards the gaming PC I'm saving for. I cannot deal with anymore negative 3DS feelings. Playing actual new games at PAX helped, but I'm feeling pretty terrible now.

Skullo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Skullo
    @TehFlan said:
    At first this just had me confused, but there's no evidence yet that this is gonna be used for anything other than Monster Hunter. I'll hold off on the fury until I have more information, since I'm not just an angry internet asshole.
    I have to wonder if there's going to be another MH game that's an original for the 3DS if MH is as successful on it as it was on the Wii. Same thing with Wii U. 

I agree with you though.  But at the same time, it does rub my rhubarb the wrong way though about this. I have wonder if this going to be full priced bundle (Game/w 3DS with the new thingy) or if you can play MH on the original 3DS with no problem?
    sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#140  Edited By sixpin

I don't know which is more amazing, the terrible job Nintendo is doing with the 3DS or the contrary comment posters. This is badly handled news from Nintendo, plain and simple. The have recently upset the fan base with a quickly reduced price just five months into the system. Then, the announce this ambiguous add-on and fail to explain what it is. Maybe it is just a monster hunter add-on, but if this is a revision then good luck with that.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By RE_Player1

I got burned getting the Wii at launch. I love my DS. Going forward I said in my head that Nintendo would still be a part of my gaming time but exclusively on handhelds, that is where they have been the most consistent and the WiiU in my opinion looks like a joke. I've been thinking of getting a 3DS but this whole ordeal, along with the price slash so fast and no games to play, has officially made me give up on Nintendo. I'll be getting the Vita day 1 and I'll probably get a 360, unless Microsoft gives hints on a new console. I'll happily come back to Nintendo when they have something I'm somewhat interested in, I just don't know when that will be and from the looks ofnit not for awhile. Hopefully Space World 2011 will show us what Nintendo is made of.

frondoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#142  Edited By frondoni
    @Atramentous said:
    @lizzard2 said:
    @Atramentous: cool ..hey you want to buy my dualshock 3 with no start button and in 6 months i'll sell you a sweet start button to you for a great price ok? im not ripping you off i promise. :P
    No thanks, I will pass.   See what I did there to avoid being "ripped off"? The gaming community at large is so full of unfounded entailment that its ridiculous. We want new shit but we bitch about change. We bitch about things we didnt ask for even if they aren't forced down our throats. This Op Ed disguised as a news article is just throwing raw meat to rabid dogs. 
    I'm not really sure why you hold these beliefs. You do realize that in this situation, Nintendo has possibly wronged its user base twice in an incredibly short amount of time?  Seems like an alright time to be angry.
    Are you trying to sound smart? Taking the hipster way out, condemning all those "entitled gamers" and pretending to the internet like you're a better man?  You do realize that Nintendo is not entitled either -  they have to ear each purchase step by step, and justify every product they make. Actually, on reflection, the consumer has the right to be the entitled one. Once you have purchased a product like a gaming system, you are entering into an implicit arrangement in which the company support the model you bought for a sufficient life span. 
    As for the whole, "just don't buy it" thing -  do you really believe this is an equal possibility on par with buying the add-on? You do realize that the consumer who does this is essentially sacrificing large portions of the future functionality of their product? Why should they be forced to do this, especially when the time frame for the (possibly) major revision is so small? Simply abstaining from buying is not, in any way, shape, or form, equal in future possibilities as buying it.
     I assume you're not entirely incapable of logical or rational thought, and I believe you're not a plant. So why take the company's side here? These are not rhetorical question, by the way. This is a situation in which one entity, the consumer, is fighting for better support and price consistency, and the another, the company, is trying to make a profit by invalidating previous products by creating an artificially small shelf-life. Why not support fellow consumers?
    Blubba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#143  Edited By Blubba

I've lost faith in Nintendo. Everything about the 3DS has been handled poorly. The Wii was terrible for enthusiasts. Hell, man I LOVED my GameCube, but this shit is bad.

NeoAthanasius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By NeoAthanasius

@Blubba: I loved my Gamecube as well. Truly, madly, deeply loved it in fact.

Hellequin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Hellequin

When did Giant Bomb turn into Kotaku? :(. This kind of sensationalist editorializing seems more suited for a Gawker site.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By zityz

Nintendo is doing something? AGAIN? OH WHEN WILL THEY EVER LEARN TO STOP DOING STUFF! Break out the torches boys this time it's wa- wait. No it's just another thing people are over reacting on. Nevermind. Carry on.

morosemode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By morosemode

This is actually the sort of move that could save the 3DS. A Monster Hunter on the 3DS will shift loads of units, certainly in Japan. Then Nintendo would release the next version of the 3DS to have the second analogue built in. 

Regardless of if the analogue add on is terrible or not, it'll only be packaged with MH I think. But the need for it will get Nintendo thinking harder about their tech. 

Edit: Also, with the library of games for the 3DS so limited, the MH series could really break out globally and stand out as a big title on the 3DS.
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By RE_Player1

@Blubba said:

I've lost faith in Nintendo. Everything about the 3DS has been handled poorly. The Wii was terrible for enthusiasts. Hell, man I LOVED my GameCube, but this shit is bad.

Hey man you are forgetting the DS. While DSiware and the iterations after the Lite were a shit show the DS Lite is probably the best handheld Nintendo has made and had great first party and third party support (this is coming from someone who loves the PSP more than the DS but can admit the DS is better in almost every way).

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By MiniPato

Makes me wonder why the hell they didn't build in a second pad in the first place. After all the crap Sony got for not putting a second analog stick on the PSP, you'd think Nintendo might nip that problem in the bud with the 3DS. With MGS3DS and Resident Evil Mercenaries/Revelations it certainly seemed like they planned on putting near-console quality games on it that rivaled the PSP in quality. But maybe I'm wrong. It makes me think they just decided they wanted to go full on "console quality games on a portable route."

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#150  Edited By bonbolapti

HAY GUYS ANOTHER ANALOG STICK? ONLY ONE GAME?! OH WELL FUCK ME, I HATE OPTIONS THAT I'D DON'T HAVE TO BUY INTO. GOOD THING IT'S NOT A REDESIGN.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.