Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

I just did something really stupid...

• 73 results
    Avatar image for akasofailsongiantbomb
    AkasoFailsOnGiantBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I have to use another computer to post this.

I just installed the newest version of AVG free, because a website opened up a strange script on me, causing Adobe Reader to open for some reason. After it finished installation, I was told to restart it, as usual with installation programs. I went ahead with it, but when the computer turned back on, my worst fears were confirmed.

My desktop had changed into a screen with text saying "WARNING YOUR COMPUTER IS INFECTED WITH SPYWARE". A fake spyware scanner opened and told me that I needed to register with a company in order to get rid of the problem. And worst of all, neither Firefox nor AVG would open. In other words, I just got my computer infected with the worst kind of virus/adware/whatever.

I've seen tech shows and websites with instructions on how to get rid of this specifically, but I never payed attention, because I always thought it would never happen to me. The website that gave me this had never done this before, and I can't understand why it's doing this now.

I know this isn't a tech support forum, but I just want to ask if anyone here knows a good website I could go to get help for this. I'm really worried right now.

(In case it wasn't blindingly obivous, I'm not good with computers.)

Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Manatassi
    Fool Proof Solution...

Buy a Mac. 

:P
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Azteck

Maybe reset your computer to an earlier date? I don't know. :(

AkasoFailsOnGiantBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Azteck: I've never made any backups. I could say that I didn't do it because I didn't think I'd need to, but no. It's because I'm an idiot.
    Sh4ft3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Sh4ft3d

Wow Manatassi, you're so witty, while also being helpful!
    Douche.
    Anyways, try to run Windows in Safe Mode, see if that will let you open AVG. Otherwise, download an install package for Spybot or some other antivirus/spyware program onto a flash drive and install it. Usually they'll have a "run now" option or something along those lines, which should be able to take care of your problem. If that or other advice from here doesn't work, try out a tech forum like the one on Newegg.

AkasoFailsOnGiantBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sh4ft3d: I'll try safe mode. I activate that by pressing shift or something while the computer's booting, right?
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Al3xand3r

It varies, some require space, some F8, whatever will make a dos-style selection screen pop up, asking if you want to boot as normal, in safe mode, in safe mode with networking, etc. Adobe reader opening from a website isn't uncommon or bad, if it's a pdf file, it's how it opens...

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Fallen189

Rollbacks are your best idea my friend. IIRC, for safemode, I think it's F5 or DEL. It should be on screen as you go into post.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @AkasoFailsOnGiantBomb: It might vary depending on the computer, but you've generally got to press F8. It should say what to press at some point.
    Mr_Bauer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By Mr_Bauer
    @Manatassi said:
    "
    Fool Proof Solution...

Buy a Mac. 

"
    I agree, you never have this problem with Macs at all. :D
    AkasoFailsOnGiantBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Al3xand3r: But see, that's the thing. I wasn't opening a pdf file. Nor did I click any links on the website to begin with. It just opened up out of nowhere, and that's when I noticed something was wrong.

I remember reading something about how an older version of Adobe Reader had a security flaw. Maybe that's the problem.
    E_Goldstein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By E_Goldstein

Don't panic too much, happens to me regularly when I let other people play with my things :P Safe mode should sort you out, roll back then download AVG from the official site :)

Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
    PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

even if you don't manually make a save state, the computer would do so automatically (at least it does for me, running XP btw), just try to see if your computer has some autosaves to roll back to, but if that and safe mode don't cut it, you gotta do major surgery and reinstall the OP or worse do a whole lot of file moving and wipe the drive then reinstall OP (very last ditch attempt, only if everything else fails).

AkasoFailsOnGiantBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PhaggyBigNastyMcKill: But how do I roll back to a previous state?

Man, I didn't realize I sucked with computers this bad until now...
    PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PowerSerj

If you have a USB key handy, download ComboFix and transfer that to your desktop and run it. Maybe? I don't know.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mordukai
    @Mr_Bauer said:
    " @Manatassi said:
    "
    Fool Proof Solution...

Buy a Mac. 

"
    I agree, you never have this problem with Macs at all. :D "
    Yup! thats what I did three years ago when my old Windows pc died. I never regretted it since. 
    Avatar image for phaggybignastymckill
    PhaggyBigNastyMcKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pinkshley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pinkshley1

Hit the infected computer with a hard object, preferably a baseball bat until the Spyware warning dissapears. Problem Solved!

lol sorry for the idiotic post
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By vidiot
    Do the following.I have had, and fixed the same problem. Multiple times.

Download Malware Bytes: http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button
    If you cant access the internet, you will obviously need to bring MalwareBytes from a USB device of some sort.
    Run it. Preform a quick scan, and proceed to remove all forms of nasty stuff.

If you cannot boot MalwareBytes, boot your machine in safe mode and run it.

If you cannot boot MalwareBytes in safe mode, simply rename the .exe to anything else while still in safe mode and then boot it. The virus is blocking the program from loading and reading that you are trying to open "mbam.exe".

This should work. After your machine is running again, do another quick or long scan. If you have any other problems or infections that are not going away, run Combo-Fix as PowerSerj recommends.
    Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Manatassi
    @Sh4ft3d said:
    " Wow Manatassi, you're so witty, while also being helpful! Douche.Anyways, try to run Windows in Safe Mode, see if that will let you open AVG. Otherwise, download an install package for Spybot or some other antivirus/spyware program onto a flash drive and install it. Usually they'll have a "run now" option or something along those lines, which should be able to take care of your problem. If that or other advice from here doesn't work, try out a tech forum like the one on Newegg. "

Actually I wasn't being a dick about it.

@Mordukai said:
    " @Mr_Bauer said:
    " @Manatassi said:
    "
    Fool Proof Solution...

Buy a Mac. 

"
    I agree, you never have this problem with Macs at all. :D "
    Yup! thats what I did three years ago when my old Windows pc died. I never regretted it since. 
    "

About 4 years ago I was an avid PC Gamer spending hundreds on my gaming rig every year, not because I had to but because I wanted to. But there was a problem... I got sick and tired of reinstalling windows, fixing driver problems and generally having to dick around for hours and hours fixing my PC. 

I simply came to a point where I didnt have time in my life for doing all that crap and got bored with it. So I said to myself "Fuck this!" after the third time trying to get UT2004 to run on my new graphics card, Walked out the house and went to the store and bought an iMac. I still have that iMac G5 sitting in my son's bedroom, not once have I had a virus, had to reinstall OSX unless you count upgrading to Leopard. 

Im currently writing this on my mac mini that is hooked up to my 50" 1080p Samsung HDTV and it looks Gorgeous.

My point is I own an iMac, 1 Macbook,  2 Mac mini's, an iPod touch and an iPhone. All working completely hitch free and seamlessly across my home network with little to no network setup required. Not one of these has EVER gotten a virus over the years I have NEVER had to reinstall OSX, and I can run windows if I ever want to play any of my old PC games.

I guess if you really must play all your games on the PC and you want to have the latest most powerful gaming rig, then yeh you need to be using Windows. For me it just wasnt worth the effort.

Especially if you consider the rate at which the high end PC gaming market has migrated to the Consoles. 

I have my 360 and PS3 for my "hardcore" gaming needs and I still have access to WOW and all the other PC games I am interested in on OSX anyway.

Its totally my personal preference, but it is a completely valid alternative to continuing to struggle on with the Declining and time consuming Bloated corpse that is Windows. I just choose not to and to spend my time doing things I enjoy doing instead.  
    StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By StarFoxA
    @Manatassi: Worked for me!
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By TheHBK

Well I use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.  The same shit happened to my PC with the background and I just used that and it was all good.  Just download it on another computer and open it on the flash drive you trasfer from because it is probably a bitch to use the internet with that thing on there now.

AkasoFailsOnGiantBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vidiot: I don't have a flash drive. From the looks of things, I'm straight up fucked.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#24  Edited By Vinchenzo
    @AkasoFailsOnGiantBomb: If you can't figure it out yourself I'd say call up the Geek Squad or someone you know who's good with tech. I myself am not so I cannot help you there, sorry.

P.S. Mac is overrated (directed to all those people talking about it).
    Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Giantsquirrel

Big one that a bunch of people didn't mention, unplug/disconnect the infected computer from the internet and networks before you do anything else. I had a nasty bug a few years ago that saved itself on my network and kept coming back, so I had to unplug and quarantine each infected machine. Scary stuff.

Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Manatassi
    @Vinchenzo said:
    " @AkasoFailsOnGiantBomb: If you can't figure it out yourself I'd say call up the Geek Squad or someone you know who's good with tech. I myself am not so I cannot help you there, sorry.

P.S. Mac is overrated (directed to all those people talking about it).
    "

"all those people talking about it"

Nuf said.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#27  Edited By Vinchenzo
    @Manatassi: And? I just didn't want anybody to think I was calling out the TC.
    Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Tiwi

can you use the start menu?

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Wolverine
    @AkasoFailsOnGiantBomb: I had a similar problem. I used a software called Spyware Doctor and it took care of it.
    Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

Boot in safe mode, run Spybot/Malwarebytes/Superantispyware/Adaware and AVG/Avira/Avast. Run CCleaner and reboot normally.

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By lemon360
    @Manatassi said:
    "
    Fool Proof Solution...

Buy a Mac. 

"
    macs just aren't as popular as PC's so less people make viruses for them. however macs are getting more and more popular so you'll start seeing viruses in the near future
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Stang
    Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Manatassi
    @lemon360 said:
    " @Manatassi said:
    "
    Fool Proof Solution...

Buy a Mac. 

"
    macs just aren't as popular as PC's so less people make viruses for them. however macs are getting more and more popular so you'll start seeing viruses in the near future "
    :) go look at the sales figures and market share growth since 2006.

Oh and people have been saying that for years. OSX simply is allot less vulnerable to viruses due to the base architecture being designed differently. The same reason it runs better and crashes less, but really its pointless debating that OSX is a better designed OS than Windows, thats pretty much common knowledge. Hell even Microsoft know it.

Leopard has leapfrogged far ahead of Windows in the last few years. 

@dcpc10 said:
    " @Manatassi said:
    "
    Fool Proof Solution...

Buy a Mac. 

"
    Okay, send the OP the $3000 then. "

Mac Mini starts at $599.

Macbook at $999

now if you want to open a professional video editing / animation / graphic design Studio I will give you that the Mac Pro does cost $2499.

I'm guessing the OP isn't in that particular market.

Mac Mini + Xbox 360 = $898

a decent Gaming rig...    $1300+

Oh and the 360 has the wider range of games. But if you want to go with the PS3 also? 

Mac Mini + 360 Pro = $898 + PS3 80gb $399 = $1297

Decent Gaming Rig = More than a Mac, 360 and PS3 combined...

Thats the Math I did hence my choice :)

Now of course if you cant afford it I'm sure you could pick up one of those cheap value PC's, but I would rather spend $100 more for a Mac that lasts 5 years rather than a PC that lasts 2.

I fail to see why you guys seem so defensive over the PC and Windows. I am simply saying that it is a viable option at this point for the OP to be considering his options and doing some math.
    cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By cloneslayer

pssst.... macs crash to

nothing againts macs, but they also crash/freeze/generally fuck up

nothing against macs, just fucking prick mac users

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#35  Edited By StarFoxA
    @Cloneslayer: In the time I've had my Mac, it hasn't crashed.
    Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Manatassi
    @Cloneslayer said:
    " pssst.... macs crash tonothing againts macs, but they also crash/freeze/generally fuck upnothing against macs, just fucking prick mac users "

Oh well since we have resorted to calling people Pricks I think I have made my point, I did not insult any of you. I simply expressed my opinion and for some reason took a bunch of flack for it. 

Of course Mac's aren't infallible no tech is. I simply stated that :  

"Not one of these has EVER gotten a virus over the years I have NEVER had to reinstall OSX"

Which is true. I can only speak for my personal experience. 

I have made my point and if you want to continue to refer to me as a "Fucking Prick"  "douche" or various other comments of the type then you are going to do so. I made one off hand comment that maybe there was another alternative to the Windows platform, and yes there may have been an element of tongue in cheek to it, and I receive comments that are completely uncalled for. I attempt to clarify my reason for the people who made the comments to establish that I had not intended to act in an offensive manner and get called names.

I believe you have argued the case that Windows Users are the "Fucking Prick"s by example of your own comment. A stance which I do not credit with validity and would merely state that your comments should reflect upon your own character rather than others who happen to use your choice of operating system. 

cloneslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By cloneslayer
    @StarFoxA:

of course they dont crash as nearly as ofter I just hate ppl who say "oh macs never crash or get viruses"
    they are computers and any and all computer can crash and get viruses
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#38  Edited By mike

It's too late now, but I'm sure that using Firefox plus the free NoScript addon would have prevented this.

Let me guess...you were using Internet Explorer?

Avatar image for guerrilla_mason
    guerrilla_mason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#39  Edited By guerrilla_mason

I had this problem last summer.  Fortunately, I had backed up for no reason the day before.  I tried everything I could to get rid of it, and nothing worked. Hope you find something.  It really sucks, man. And to all the Mac people, I have a Macbook, and sometimes I get things on here that make it run like trash.

AkasoFailsOnGiantBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MB: No, FireFox. The newest update, too. Not that addon, though, although I would have used it, given the chance. I'll install it once I get everything fixed. If I can get everything fixed.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#41  Edited By mike

Format & reinstall, dude. Once your machine is infected that badly it's the only way to be sure.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#42  Edited By JackiJinx
    @AkasoFailsOnGiantBomb said:
    " @vidiot: I don't have a flash drive. From the looks of things, I'm straight up fucked. "
    Dude, flash drives are relatively cheap. If it's to save your rig, just go out an buy one that's the appropriate sizing.
    Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Player1

That better had been some fucking good porn. 

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Stang

Last chance to post the hjt log.

/begins timer

AkasoFailsOnGiantBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Stang: I'm not going to be able to get back on anytime soon. All I have right now is the computer I'm using now. It's kind of complicated, really.

Thanks for all the help I've gotten so far, though. You guys are really nice sometimes.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Stang

No problem. If you ever have the urge to try the prog out and do not understand the results, you can use this site to auto analyze your log, it will tell you what entries are nasty shit that have business being on your comp. You can then eliminate them using the same program. Some trojans may require a little more registry work, but it is managable.

If you need help or want a real person to look it over, just let me know.

goodwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#47  Edited By goodwood

use system restore. To access the System Restore Wizard, click Start, and then click Help and Support. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Using System Restore to undo changes, and then click Run the System Restore Wizard. or you can

•  access the System Restore Wizard through the Start menu.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By vidiot
    @JackiJinx said:
    " @AkasoFailsOnGiantBomb said:
    " @vidiot: I don't have a flash drive. From the looks of things, I'm straight up fucked. "
    Dude, flash drives are relatively cheap. If it's to save your rig, just go out an buy one that's the appropriate sizing.
    "
    Go get yourself a flash drive, or anything that has USB storage regardless. PSP, iPod, there are so many different ways to get stuff off of one device to another.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By PureRok

CTRL+ALT+DEL

Find the offending process, kill it, and then carry on removing it from the system.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#50  Edited By sjschmidt93

Had the same thing. I could do pretty much everything, but my desktop was a stupid "SPYWARE!!!" thing, and the internet was broken.

Just reformat. Don't bother trying anything Antivirus related, it's not gonna work.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.