Low Requirement Games?

• 51 results
#1 Edited by 5socks5 (188 posts) -

Any game I can play on a pretty crappy laptop? It has an integrated chip (can actually play Portal 2 shockingly) and some decent specs. If anyone actually wants them I'll be happy to post them. Anything a little old is fine but its on Windows 7 so getting compatible games could be a problem. Thanks in advance to anyone.

Windows 7 32 bit
Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.00GHz
Ram: 4.00 GB (2.89 Usable)
Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset (Integrated)
#2 Posted by Starfishhunter9 (369 posts) -

Warcraft 3 and starcraft run on basically anything

#3 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

anything that's made by valve

#4 Posted by AjayRaz (12418 posts) -
#5 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

throchlight

#6 Posted by Masha2932 (1241 posts) -

Telltale point and click games. I suggest hector badge of carnage and back to the future

#7 Edited by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -
#8 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (1943 posts) -

StarCraft 2 runs fine on just about anything, Torchlight has a netbook mode (i.e. it can run on a high-end phone at this point), the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games will run on just about anything when using DX8/9 lighting, and The Elder Scrolls games are optimized for a huge range of specs (Morrowind would be a better, safer, and cheaper bet). Mount & Blade (and Warband) has a really low benchmark, so you could give that a try. 

Plants vs. Zombies, VVVVV, other indie games, etc. 

#9 Edited by Claude (16254 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:

Yeah, those games run pretty good on my laptop.

The only modern game I could play that I own with everything on low was Dragon Age Origins.

Max Payne 2 runs great on my laptop.
#10 Posted by 5socks5 (188 posts) -
@Masha2932: I'm already planning on burning through some old point and clicks I missed. Thanks anyways though.
@KaosAngel: I'm completely burnt out on Torchlight at this point. Too...much...playtime.
@AjayRaz: I'm playing that this very second.....
@Starfishhunter9: Which is exactly why I love Valve. Too bad I already played through pretty much everything. Thanks though
#11 Posted by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -

Here's a few more. Based on being able to play Portal 2, you should be able to play these at some setting:

Can't really recommend stuff without know what you are into. You could always download an emulator and play some old SNES games.
#12 Posted by Chaser324 (6322 posts) -

X-Com. If anything you'll actually have a problem with your PC exceeding the requirements by too much.

#13 Posted by 5socks5 (188 posts) -
@crusader8463: I'm into pretty much anything. Thanks for all your help though. I just checked GOG and they have The Witcher for $5! Awesome steal.
#14 Posted by Theworldbreaker (173 posts) -
#15 Posted by Afroman269 (7387 posts) -
@theworldbreaker: Crysis 2 would be hella easier to run compared to 1.
#16 Posted by defaulttag (890 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
anything that's made by blizzard as well
#17 Edited by Theworldbreaker (173 posts) -
@Afroman269
Going by the back of the case they both have the same recomended minimum requirments though (the one that caught my eye the most was the graphics card, 8800gt for both).
#18 Posted by 5socks5 (188 posts) -
@theworldbreaker: Am I the only one who can't wait for the day you can run Crysis on a smartphone?
#19 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11467 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:
http://www.gog.com/en/frontpage/ Pick a genre you like, sort by user rating and make sure it's compatible with Win 7.
This man speaks well. If you like RPGs or Strategy games from back when RPG and Strategy games mattered (See: Baldur's Gate 1&2, Fallout 1&2, Heroes of Might and Magic 1-4, etc etc) this is the digital distribution hub for you. If not, you're not playing the right old PC games anyways.
#20 Posted by invadernick (260 posts) -

sim city 4

#21 Posted by Riddell (342 posts) -

Runescape. Done.

#22 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

super meat boy

#23 Posted by Ocean_H (290 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:
Here's a few more. Based on being able to play Portal 2, you should be able to play these at some setting:

Can't really recommend stuff without know what you are into. You could always download an emulator and play some old SNES games.
He has a crappy laptop and Windows 7. Company of Heroes will put his laptop into the fires of Doom, so will Dragon Age.
#24 Posted by crusader8463 (14413 posts) -
@Ocean_H said:
@crusader8463 said:

He has a crappy laptop and Windows 7. Company of Heroes will put his laptop into the fires of Doom, so will Dragon Age.
They should work. He said it can run Portal 2, and my shitty desktop can just run Portal 2 yet play all of those games I mentioned with no problems. Without specs all we can base it on is Portal 2, and those games are nowhere near as graphicly intense as Portal 2.
#25 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

Just about every Blizzard game!

#26 Posted by dbz1995 (4790 posts) -

VVVVVV!!!!!!

#27 Edited by Fudge91 (199 posts) -
@Afroman269:

Not really,
 Crysis 1 Recommended :
Processor – Intel Core 2 DUO @ 2.2GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
Memory – 2.0 GB RAM
GPU – NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS/640

Crysis 2 Recommended :
Processor – 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo / A64 X2 CPU,
 Memory – 3GB RAM,
 GPU – GTX280 / HD4870, 
#28 Posted by Theworldbreaker (173 posts) -
@5socks5
Oh my god...
#29 Posted by Seedofpower (3925 posts) -
@5socks5: Here is a link to a website that sells cheap low requirement games. I hope this helps.
#30 Posted by Fallen189 (4939 posts) -

Mount and Blade: Warband

#31 Posted by stoodspoon (595 posts) -

The Mount and Blade series

#32 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

Fallout 2. 

#33 Posted by Spoonman671 (4555 posts) -

Load up Steam and pick up any game that looks like this...

This...
Or this.
Not vouching for the quality of these games, just saying that you can probably run them without issue.
#34 Posted by NTM (7263 posts) -

Spacewar! That may be the only possible game to play.
#35 Posted by Subjugation (4718 posts) -

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Minecraft yet.

#36 Posted by emem (1961 posts) -
@crusader8463 said:
@Ocean_H said:
@crusader8463 said:

They should work. He said it can run Portal 2, and my shitty desktop can just run Portal 2 yet play all of those games I mentioned with no problems. Without specs all we can base it on is Portal 2, and those games are nowhere near as graphicly intense as Portal 2.
That's strange, for me Portal 2 runs as smooth as a game can possibly run, DA:O runs incredibly slow later in the game, when the locations got more people in them, and Civ 5 is probably the most demanding game (for my PC) out of all of them, because of the sometimes insane loading times between moves.

@5socks5: I don't know how "crappy" your laptop really is, but I'm sure you can play games like Mass Effect 1&2, Toki Tori, Super Meat Boy, World of Goo, Torchlight, Trackmania, maybe Trine, Recettear, the new episodes of Sam & Max and Monkey Island, Left 4 Dead 1&2, Chime, Braid etc.. the list goes on and on, I just picked some of my favourites. :)
#37 Posted by 5socks5 (188 posts) -
@emem
Windows 7 32 bit
Intel Core 2 Duo T5800 @ 2.00GHz
Ram: 4.00 GB (2.89 Usable)
Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset (Integrated)

So Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Trine, Recettear are no goes. Already have Super Meat Boy and it lags like a bitch. Torchlight and World have Goo I've played to death.
#38 Posted by katanalauncher (215 posts) -
@Fudge91 said:
@Afroman269:

Not really,
 Crysis 1 Recommended :
Processor – Intel Core 2 DUO @ 2.2GHz or AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+
Memory – 2.0 GB RAM
GPU – NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS/640

Crysis 2 Recommended : Processor – 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo / A64 X2 CPU,  Memory – 3GB RAM,  GPU – GTX280 / HD4870, 
You really believe Crytek's recommended setup for Crysis1?
OT: gog.com, enjoy 
#39 Posted by mnzy (2911 posts) -

I play mostly Indie games on my laptop that is pretty similar to yours. Games like Puzzle Agent, Machinarium, Recettear etc.

#40 Posted by Video_Game_King (35982 posts) -
@HitmanAgent47 said:
anything that's made by valve or 2D
There, I fixed this post.
#41 Posted by emem (1961 posts) -
@5socks5: Hm I see, but I'm 100% sure that Recettear will run on your laptop, it's not a demanding game. Other than that pretty much what @mnzy wrote, almost all of the indie games should run decent enough.. Osmos, Altitude and VVVVVV come to mind.
#42 Posted by PatchRowcester (215 posts) -

I would recommend Deus Ex.

#43 Edited by Stete (722 posts) -

Go to good old games and grab all the Bioware/Black Isle games. That's enough gameplay for a decade.

And of course you cannot go wrong with Diablo II.

Also the first Modern Warfare was very scalable if you don't mind playing with the detail turned to low. I cannot confirm that the same applies for MW2 and Black Ops, but its the same engine.

#44 Posted by Atrithau (32 posts) -

Nobody's mentioned the Thief series, and that's definitely worth mentioning as far as I'm concerned. 

After that there's the Gothic series, and by series I'm only referring to the first two games, since the third and fourth are absolute shit. 
You could also try Risen, Morrowind, or Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. They should work, I think. 
Lastly, I'd like to recommend this game I've recently discovered called Pathological. You can find it online for 10 bucks, but I don't remember the site.
Amnesia: The Dark Descent should also be... playable. 

Stick to old hits or look for really obscure modern games, preferably from the Eastern Europe since all of our games tend to look like crap. 
#45 Posted by phish09 (1109 posts) -

Amnesia: The Dark Descent...if you haven't already played it.

#46 Edited by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

I play DMC4 and SF4 on an integrated chip. It's at their lowest setting and the resolution in DMC4 is even down to 360x240 I think, but they're good games even without tasty graphics so I don't mind. 
Strategy games usually run fine too.

Oh, and the reason I set them so riddicolously low is because I'd rather take a buttery smooth 60 FPS than a 20-40 FPS range. I can get 20-40 with slightly higher settings, but for me, the flow of the game is more important than the texture resolutions etc.
#47 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2129 posts) -

Morrowind would be worth a try.  Very long and quite atmospheric yet demands the player be patient and smart about how they deal with quests and how you level.

#48 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5806 posts) -

Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis
SWAT 4
Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines

#49 Posted by The_Joker (219 posts) -

If you arn't opposed to Free to Play MMOs, Dungeon Fighter Online is totally worth your time. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.