Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

New PC coming, what PC exclusives should I play?

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Short story, I have a new PC coming and I want to get back to PC exclusives that I missed before because my old PC couldn't run them very well.

Games I've already played or already have include: Starcraft 2, Civ V, STALKER Call of Pripyat, and Majesty 2.

Are there any sleeper hits from 2009 or 2010 I've missed?  I'm interested in any genre besides MMO.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By WinterSnowblind

The Witcher, originally from 2007, I believe..  but if you haven't played it yet, you definitely should, especially with the sequel coming next year.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    PDC_Emulator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By PDC_Emulator

If you like strategy/RTS, Starcraft and Company of Heroes are both winners. 

DeadFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By DeadFish
    VVVVVV is what Super Meat Boy has been compared to on the PC a lot. It's an excellent platformer with excellent music and all the sadism / masochism the genre can provide.
    sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sins_of_mosin
    @sodiumCyclops said:
    " Sleeper hit? Amnesia: The Dark Descent "
    Ok, guess I should of said that I don't care for horror games but thanks for the suggestion.

@WinterSnowblind said:
    " The Witcher, originally from 2007, I believe..  but if you haven't played it yet, you definitely should, especially with the sequel coming next year. "

Ahhhh, nice!  I totally forgot about this game when they didn't bring out the Xbox 360 version.

@PDC_Emulator said:
    " If you like strategy/RTS, Starcraft and Company of Heroes are both winners.  "

Already played both of those.  I was pretty current with PC games until 2008.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8  Edited By crusader8463

I made a list of all the "best" PC games over here in this thread. Been trying to get it stickied so people can use that instead of having the forums getting threads like this all the time, but it just keeps getting pushed down the list. Check it out anyway. It doesn't go into old old games, but it covers pretty much all the big ones in the past 10 or so years that can still be easily found online.

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By endless_void

-metro 2033 
    -Supreme commander 2
    -ehh...starcraft 2 is all you need really. Everything else is icing on the cake. (I've been playing that game since launch 5 months ago on a daily basis)

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sins_of_mosin
    @DeadFish said:
    " VVVVVV is what Super Meat Boy has been compared to on the PC a lot. It's an excellent platformer with excellent music and all the sadism / masochism the genre can provide. "
    Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of just pure platform games on a PC, thats something I did with the DS.

@zudthespud said:
    " Not sure if it will be your thing, but the best games I've bought this year were Minecraft and The Polynomial. "

I've seen videos of minecraft and it's just not my thing.
    butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By butano

- Crysis 
    - Crysis: Warhead 
    - Minecraft 
    If you haven't played Oblivion or Fallout 3 on PC, they're a must, even though they aren't PC exclusive.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ryanwho

You should eventually play Civ 5. But to avoid the headache it continues to give me, I'd consider waiting until the next patch.

thebatmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By thebatmobile

Mafia II 
    Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (Not an exclusive, but it is really pretty on the PC) 

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14  Edited By Skald

Recettear 
    Killing Floor 
    Machinarium 

They aren't very demanding games, but they are fun.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Jimbo
    • The Witcher
    • Men of War
    • Anno 1404 / Dawn of Discovery
    • Dragon Knight Saga
    • Dragon Age & Awakening (if you haven't already)
    • Dawn of War 2 & Chaos Rising
    • Empire TW and/or Napoleon
    • Lionheart: King's Crusade
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ryanwho
    @extremeradical said:
    " Recettear Killing Floor Machinarium  They aren't very demanding games, but they are fun. "
    I'll cosign that. Very cheap on steam. Puzzles can get a bit obtuse but there's built in help.
    Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Stete

Dragon Age Origins, I know I must be the billionth person who said this but the PC version is vastly superior to the console version.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Spoonman671

Download Alien Swarm.  It's free.

Dawn of War II is pretty cool.

Plants vs Zombies is a lot of fun, but you could probably have played that on your old PC.

Metro 2033 is a pretty cool game if you can run it.

RedHatDrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RedHatDrew

I'd suggest Team Fortress 2. It's an extremely solid entry on Steam, and it usually goes on sale once every 6 weeks or so. Also, as stated earlier, Minecraft; It'll run on most computers, but you should get it while it's cheap, since all the updates/upgrades will be free, but it gets more expensive with each iteration.

As for other games, I usually just keep an eye on Steam, and demo anything that goes on sale.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sins_of_mosin
    @endless_void said:
    " -metro 2033  -Supreme commander 2 -ehh...starcraft 2 is all you need really. Everything else is icing on the cake. (I've been playing that game since launch 5 months ago on a daily basis) "
    I didn't care for SC2 at all and I've already done SupCom2.  Got Metro 2033 for the 360.

@Butano said:
    " - Crysis - Crysis: Warhead - Minecraft If you haven't played Oblivion or Fallout 3 on PC, they're a must, even though they aren't PC exclusive. "

I did Crysis and Warhead once and thats more then enough.  Pass on Minecraft.  Played Oblivion and Fallout 3 so much I couldn't stand them again.

@ryanwho said:
    " You should eventually play Civ 5. But to avoid the headache it continues to give me, I'd consider waiting until the next patch. "

I own it and love it.

@thebatmobile said:
    " Mafia II Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (Not an exclusive, but it is really pretty on the PC)  "

Finished Mafia II last month and I got Hot Pursuit on the 360.

@Stete said:
    " Dragon Age Origins, I know I must be the billionth person who said this but the PC version is vastly superior to the console version. "

Played the hell outta it and DLC on the 360, I'll wait for the 2nd game.

@Spoonman671 said:
    " Download Alien Swarm.  It's free.  Dawn of War II is pretty cool.  Plants vs Zombies is a lot of fun, but you could probably have played that on your old PC.  Metro 2033 is a pretty cool game if you can run it. "

Don't care for MP games, DoW2 is a failure to me, PvZ on the 360, look above for Metro 2033.

@RedHatDrew said:
    " I'd suggest Team Fortress 2. It's an extremely solid entry on Steam, and it usually goes on sale once every 6 weeks or so. Also, as stated earlier, Minecraft; It'll run on most computers, but you should get it while it's cheap, since all the updates/upgrades will be free, but it gets more expensive with each iteration. As for other games, I usually just keep an eye on Steam, and demo anything that goes on sale. "

I don't care for MP, already said my thing about Minecraft.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By MrKlorox

Mount and Blade: Warband is fun even in Singleplayer.

endless_void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By endless_void
    @sins_of_mosin:  maybe it would be a good idea if you actually listed out what games you've already played....?
    sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By sins_of_mosin
    @crusader8463 said:
    " I made a list of all the "best" PC games over here in this thread. Been trying to get it stickied so people can use that instead of having the forums getting threads like this all the time, but it just keeps getting pushed down the list. Check it out anyway. It doesn't go into old old games, but it covers pretty much all the big ones in the past 10 or so years that can still be easily found online. "
    You do realize that this board is sooo slow, it would add some activity if a bunch of people made a thread like this...... or any thread...... And your thread isn't what I'm looking for since it list games beyond my time frame and exclusive tag.
    sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sins_of_mosin
    @endless_void said:
    " @sins_of_mosin:  maybe it would be a good idea if you actually listed out what games you've already played....? "
    Well, people don't appear to be reading my first post about only listing exclusives in the past two years, maybe three since The Witcher is 2007.  And, I did list recent games but ya know, people appear to be missing those games........
    RedHatDrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RedHatDrew
    @sins_of_mosin: Alright, so as a rule, you're looking for some decent single-player games that are PC exclusives(I'm using the title of the thread as a point of reference). You're not too big on horror, but you definitely seem alright with Strategy and Shooter genres. Hmm...  

If you're alright with dungeon crawlers, and you haven't gotten completely sick of Diablo, I'd say to give Torchlight a try (alternatively, you can just wait for Torchlight II to come out.) 
    If you haven't already picked it up on XBLA (non-exclusive, I know) I'd check out some of the Telltale adventure games. 

Any other preferences? It can be kind of hard to find "groundbreaking" PC exclusives these days. I'm kinda getting back into PC gaming myself  (The GF commandeers the 360 for Netflix a lot) so please pardon any non-exclusives I've thrown out. 
    sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sins_of_mosin
    @RedHatDrew said:
    " @sins_of_mosin: Alright, so as a rule, you're looking for some decent single-player games that are PC exclusives(I'm using the title of the thread as a point of reference). You're not too big on horror, but you definitely seem alright with Strategy and Shooter genres. Hmm...  

If you're alright with dungeon crawlers, and you haven't gotten completely sick of Diablo, I'd say to give Torchlight a try (alternatively, you can just wait for Torchlight II to come out.) 
    If you haven't already picked it up on XBLA (non-exclusive, I know) I'd check out some of the Telltale adventure games.  Any other preferences? It can be kind of hard to find "groundbreaking" PC exclusives these days. I'm kinda getting back into PC gaming myself  (The GF commandeers the 360 for Netflix a lot) so please pardon any non-exclusives I've thrown out.  "

Bravo!  I checked out a few reviews and Torchlight looks like a great game to play.  Thanks!
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By trophyhunter

anything with the word tycoon at the end and that's about it

StealthRaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By StealthRaptor

If you liked Majesty 2, you may enjoy Settlers VII if you can get past the you-must-always-be-online bullshit. There's a quicklook on it if you wanted to check it out.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By Skytylz
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " The Witcher, originally from 2007, I believe..  but if you haven't played it yet, you definitely should, especially with the sequel coming next year. "
    I played this game for like 15 hours straight the day I got it, but I can't get myself to play it again some reason.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ryanwho
    @Skytylz said:

" @WinterSnowblind said:

I played this game for like 15 hours straight the day I got it, but I can't get myself to play it again some reason. "
    The side quests are a chore. Stop collecting eyeballs and hearts and just finish off the main quest. Its good stuff.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.