Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

PC Game Revolution Start?

Gigantorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Gigantorama

Many of my friends are console gamers and they won't leave me the hell alone about my PC love. You've heard the stuff, PC gaming is dead, piracy, price, no universal distribution, etc. But there's one thing I really think would help PC gaming is a shift in the GAMES itself. What I mean is that some people, like me, still believe a good ol keyboard and mouse combo is the best controller on the planet. That being said, the bulk of games these days for the PC are FPSs or MMOs. Is that really the best a keyboard and mouse can do?  

Remember when the Wii first came out? Developers always said that instead of focusing on the hardware, it was best to focus around the controller and build games around that. Well, can't PC developers think of something else to do with our mouse than shoot or loot?

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By mikemcn

I love PC gaming, but the fact that they delayed MW2 by 2 weeks for PC, is really bringing me down. But when i see Call of Duty in 1920 by 1080, it will be alright. 

And there are still a ton of RTS type games on PC, more than any other system.
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#3  Edited By AgentJ

This seems like blatant advertising. The only difference is that you have 3 more posts than most of the people who try this here.  

I think something better could be done with computers if they required the use of something other than a keyboard. I always hate using them to control characters and the like. 

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By Jeust
    @AgentJ said:
    " This seems like blatant advertising. The only difference is that you have 3 more posts than most of the people who try this here.   I think something better could be done with computers if they required the use of something other than a keyboard. I always hate using them to control characters and the like.  "
    you can always get a gamepad. :p
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AgentJ
    @Jeust: What is this "Gamepad" you speak of?
    Gigantorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Gigantorama
    @AgentJ: Well I have a heavy interest in games and I also have a tiny blog, I don't see the problem. If I can't post a link to my blog I will not do so, but I haven't seen anyone yet say that what I was doing was wrong. That being said, I may not have 5,000+ posts, but I'm well on my way! 
    PISTOLcm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PISTOLcm

I love Loot n Shoot :D

Just give me my MW2 on 11.10.09 damnit!

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AgentJ
    @Gigantorama: Mods have gone after blog and site advertising for as long as I have been on the site, especially from new users. It's just a way to keep the site clean. It's not a big deal, just a learning experience. I'll be celebrating right there with you if you get to that point!
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By warxsnake

PC gaming will never change and it will never die either (at least it wont die BEFORE consoles die) because it's a free market where anyone can do anything, and you simply can't bring that shit down.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Diamond

PC gaming is in a hard place in a lot of ways.  You can't really innovate control systems (or hardware or games design even) like the Wii because they can't force it on consumers.  The money isn't in PC gaming these days either, so the resources available for even considering such a diversion aren't there.

Biggest of all I don't see any life being poured into PC gaming.  It seems like a cycle that will only get worse and worse at this point.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Gunner

PC gaming wont become mainstream unless a company like microsoft unites all of the game publishers/developers under one platform. 

They had the right idea with games for windows live, but it doesnt work when they don't put enough manpower or effort into it.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Hamz
    @Gigantorama: I've removed the link to your private blog outside of Giant Bomb. As some have already told you, we're not really too keen on seeing users try and advertise their own private sites through our forum. Ordinarily that sort of advertising will result in a lock or deletion of the topic / blog. However in this case you've presented a nice subject worth discussing so I'll leave this open so that others may continue the discussion!

@Diamond said:
    " PC gaming is in a hard place in a lot of ways.  You can't really innovate control systems (or hardware or games design even) like the Wii because they can't force it on consumers.  The money isn't in PC gaming these days either, so the resources available for even considering such a diversion aren't there.  

Biggest of all I don't see any life being poured into PC gaming.  It seems like a cycle that will only get worse and worse at this point. "
    That is a statement I would have to agree with. 

It's a problem that is slowly becoming more and more apparent each month as more PC versions of games get delayed. And it's a problem that stems from the platform itself not the industry. The PC as a gaming platform is a free market where no single organisation or company has full control over it like consoles have. So the lack of a single entity being the driving force behind it like consoles have with Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft has really damaged the platform this generation.

Individual companies like Valve, Blizzard, EA and Stardock do the best they can but ultimately on their own they can only do so much. The PC Gaming Alliance is a complete and utter joke of an organisation, they've done sweet fuck all to help the platform. If anything they've damage it a little, by combining such large brand name organisation under one banner and then never coming through with anything to show for it. They've simply shown even allied together these large companies cannot actually help the platform rise above the sorry state it is in now.

I would never say PC gaming is dying. But I would say it is clearly being treated like a second class citizen and I honestly don't see that changing much in the near future. Consoles have proven when given an internet connection they can be a tremendously profitable market and investment.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By eroticfishcake

What Hamz said. I love my PC. It's shit but I love it for what it is. With companies delaying PC games and computer hardware not being any cheaper it's hard to stay a PC gamer for long. Although there have been a few titles released for the PC recently, it's been eclipsed by consoles and handhelds who's been running off with the great titles, leaving PC gamers in the rain. PC gaming would never die, despite the flaws it has the potential that consoles would never have.

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By HypoXenophobia

I feel that this could be changed  easily if people tried as hard as they did on consoles. Like I recently picked up Rise Of Nations, which is an amazing game, but I get the feeling that the multiplayer scene is pretty desolate outside heaven games.  

I was thinking if a group of people started doing localized games nights people would start flocking back to it. I aways see stuff like "Play With The Devs" on such and such date for console games, maybe PC games do it to and I'm not aware, but I've neverheard it advertised.  

(I'll preface by saying, I don't use steam or gfw, I just go straight from the game browser).   Which is where I feel the current consoles succeed because they allow people to know what their friends are playing, and makes it easier for them to just join up. PC games since they're not as centralize, makes it harder to promote upcoming games or multiplayer sessions.  

So unless certain factors are fixed,  PC gaming will be the slow monolith to change for better or worse.
    The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_Ish

I am not too worried, honestly. 

There will always be SP games for the PC, even if they come out on the consoles first and like a year later on the PC. MP will always be dominating on PC, and I am content with this.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Hamst3r

I don't have much to add to this thread, but I've noticed an increase in the amount of PC talk going on in the last 6 months. More people finally getting gaming PCs, sites showing more PC footage, companies vowing more PC support, etc. Stuff like that. Perhaps I'm delusional, but that's what seems to be happening. :)

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By torus

This has happened before, and will happen again. PC dominance ebbs and flows. With the release of new consoles, everyone gets together and proclaims the death of PC gaming. After a few years however, when PCs begin to outpace the current consoles again in value and performance, more games come out and they look like a better option.

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By darkgoth678
    @PISTOLcm said:
    " I love Loot n Shoot :D  Just give me my MW2 on 11.10.09 damnit! "

Amen brotha 

Amen@Gigantorama said:
    " Many of my friends are console gamers and they won't leave me the hell alone about my PC love. You've heard the stuff, PC gaming is dead, piracy, price, no universal distribution, etc. But there's one thing I really think would help PC gaming is a shift in the GAMES itself. What I mean is that some people, like me, still believe a good ol keyboard and mouse combo is the best controller on the planet. That being said, the bulk of games these days for the PC are FPSs or MMOs. Is that really the best a keyboard and mouse can do?  

Remember when the Wii first came out? Developers always said that instead of focusing on the hardware, it was best to focus around the controller and build games around that. Well, can't PC developers think of something else to do with our mouse than shoot or loot?
    "
    dude you like hit the nail on the head. I have the same problem of people hating on my PC enthusiasm and do think that we PC owners should not always just get basically the same games that the consoles get. I mean I think the only thing we really have to ourselves right now is like, soon to be Starcraft 2 and a few or title that in mind, failed to catch on such as Demigod. I lie, perhaps the most prominent was Crysis on the shooter side and Wow on the "loot" side.  

But yeah man, I feel your pain, we suffer together and hopefully, our wounds shall be patched with golden band-aids =P
    Gigantorama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Gigantorama

Honestly, I'm looking forward to Borderlands. It's loot AND shoot! 

But yeah, any tried Osmos off Steam? It's a great example of using simple controls to make a really addictive game!

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By unclejohnny79

ah PC gaming is fine, consoles are slowly becoming pc's anyway lol

darkgoth678

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By darkgoth678
    @unclejohnny79 said:
    " ah PC gaming is fine, consoles are slowly becoming pc's anyway lol "
    hmm... very true...
    Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Griddler
    @Mikemcn said:
    " I love PC gaming, but the fact that they delayed MW2 by 2 weeks for PC, is really bringing me down. But when i see Call of Duty in 1920 by 1080, it will be alright.  And there are still a ton of RTS type games on PC, more than any other system. "
    Yep, MW2 in 1920 x 1080 would be awesome. It's a shame that my PC won't run it. PS3 will have to do.
    mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mhkjtha
    @Gunner said:
    " PC gaming wont become mainstream unless a company like microsoft unites all of the game publishers/developers under one platform.   They had the right idea with games for windows live, but it doesnt work when they don't put enough manpower or effort into it. "
    GFWL is horrible. No push-to-voice key :(
    Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Lunarbunny
    @Hamst3r said:
    "  I don't have much to add to this thread, but I've noticed an increase in the amount of PC talk going on in the last 6 months. More people finally getting gaming PCs, sites showing more PC footage, companies vowing more PC support, etc. Stuff like that. Perhaps I'm delusional, but that's what seems to be happening. :) "
    I think that as the current console lifecycle continues, we'll see another push toward PC again as the limits of the consoles are reached, which will probably last a year or two into the next console lifecycle. I don't mean that suddenly PC will be king, I just mean that there will be a measurable trend.
    mehteh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mehteh

wow many of your  "friends" sound like typical retarded console gamers than are dumber than a box of rocks.

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#26  Edited By mrhankey
    @mhkjtha said:
    " @Gunner said:
    " PC gaming wont become mainstream unless a company like microsoft unites all of the game publishers/developers under one platform.   They had the right idea with games for windows live, but it doesnt work when they don't put enough manpower or effort into it. "
    GFWL is horrible. No push-to-voice key :( "
    STEAM?
    mhkjtha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By mhkjtha
    @mrhankey: steam is great. there's no reason to dislike it <3
    Simbyotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Simbyotic

Besides the fact that sometimes the Offline mode doesn't work.

But yeah Steam is my platform of choice in PC Gaming, almost every buy I have made this year for my PC was on Steam, it is just a great system and its always improving. But fuck, they have the fucking conversions all wrong, a thing I like better on Impulse is that what I pay in Euros is the conversion from dollars and not the price they choose.

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#29  Edited By mrhankey
    @mhkjtha said:
    " @mrhankey: steam is great. there's no reason to dislike it <3 "
    I wasn't saying STEAM? as in, it's synonymous with GFWL (made dawn of war 2 online shitty). I actually rather like steam. And while right now i see no reason for STEAM and Valve to go there own separate ways, if STEAM were to be the software to unite us, it would have to. 

Sorry, i should have clarified.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By iam3green

maybe, i don't think there is going to bea  revolution anytime soon. maybe they will make something new for the mouse and keyboard but i don't think it will fully happen.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.