Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PC

Platform »

The PC (Personal Computer) is a highly configurable and upgradable gaming platform that, among home systems, sports the widest variety of control methods, largest library of games, and cutting edge graphics and sound capabilities.

PC gamers-how d'you deal with the disadvantages of this platform?

• 81 results
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Yes we love this brilliant crystal ball sitting on our desks sucking the life out of us by being our drug of choice.  

However ! 
    1. Eyes = burning the fuck up cuz you cant sit a few meters back like u do when playing on consoles (major headache right now because of that)
    2. Back and Neck = the same unhealthy posture for several hours a day? i wake up everyday with pains all over my fucking neck 
    3. Arms = stretched in front of us all day long with one of them holding onto a small object and moving it around? THEY'RE ABOUT TO FREEZE IN THIS POSITION AND IT HURTS !  gamepads allow you to rest your arms as you please :( 
    4. Butt = you cant game on the PC while sitting your fat ass in a big comfy couch! the best you can get is a fancy chair, and thats not good enough for hours after hours of gaming... 

Edit: im only comparing to consoles just for the sake of comparison. playing all my games with a controller and connecting my computer to a TV defeats the purpose of playing on a PC

So what do i do now? my eyes are scorching, my neck is killing me, my ass hurts and my arms need a break.. not to mention the fucking headache. but i dont wanna give it a break because i wanna game and i got  else to do!
    I think this is a Dilemma.. help your PC bro out :P

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Grim Fandango^^

litrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By litrock

1.  Turn down your brightness?  Don't sit for hours?  Blink?  I mean, if you work a job where you sit at a computer, it's the same thing.
    2.  Proper posture in an office chair is way more possible than in a couch.  Sit up.  Back straight.  
    3.  Proper posture will help this.  Google 'ergonomics'
    4.  See 2, 3.

LlamaLlama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By LlamaLlama

Not really a problem, consider I'm writing at the computer a lot of the time. Most of your problems can simply be solved by getting up for a few minutes and returning afterwards. Or getting a good chair. As for eyes, just play in a well lit room.
    Karolis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#5  Edited By Karolis
    @Ahmad_Metallic: Buy a gamepad? 
    If not, I'd suggest you turn your brightness down, that would relieve your eyes a bit.
    jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By jorbear

1. Take some breaks. 
    2,3,4. Get a nice chair. 

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Only ones I get are 2 and 3, so i just take a break when it happens.

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By raiz265

Don't have problems with any of those except back problems... 

I have more pain in my hands after playing Super Meat Boy with my Gamepad for 3 hours than I have after playing PC the whole weekend.

Tairoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Tairoku

...Don't these also happen with consoles?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7
    deactivated-5f8b49bb7fea7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@litrock said:

" 1.  Turn down your brightness?  Don't sit for hours?  Blink?  I mean, if you work a job where you sit at a computer, it's the same thing. 2.  Proper posture in an office chair is way more possible than in a couch.  Sit up.  Back straight.   3.  Proper posture will help this.  Google 'ergonomics' 4.  See 2, 3. "

This. 

It's really never that bad, at least for me, and I've had some marathon gaming sessions on my PC. In fact, in my situation, PC gaming is more comfortable than console gaming. Invest in a good, comfortable chair, ergonomic keyboard, and maybe even a better monitor with a higher refresh rate to reduce eyestrain. Or just take some more breaks.
    ape_dosmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ape_dosmil
    @litrock said:

" 1.  Turn down your brightness?  Don't sit for hours?  Blink?  I mean, if you work a job where you sit at a computer, it's the same thing. 2.  Proper posture in an office chair is way more possible than in a couch.  Sit up.  Back straight.   3.  Proper posture will help this.  Google 'ergonomics' 4.  See 2, 3. "

Actually, despite popular belief, sitting up straight (or "proper posture") is not good for your back. You're better leaning back.
    BBC News - Sitting straight 'bad for backs'
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By crusader8463

What the duck said. The only problem I have is my mouse wrist sounds like a cement mixer when ever I rotate it, and it tends to hurt rather easily, but I broke it when I was a kid so I'm pretty sure it's because of that.

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, most of those problems are bound to come to you if you game for large periods of time. So my advice is either take breaks or buy a good chair.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Hamz

How do I deal with the disadvantage of the PC gaming platform? I just don't play as many PC games as I once did :)

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Hamz said:
    " How do I deal with the disadvantage of the PC gaming platform? I just don't play as many PC games as I once did :) "
    KILL THE INFIDELS !!!
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By valrog

Nothing that can't be avoided.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @Ahmad_Metallic: My back is used to slouching on the couch.  Buy a chair that allows you to sit comfortably.  Sitting up straight is terrible unscientific advice.  

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/57654.php 

I don't get your comment about gamepads.   I use the PS3 gamepad on the PC for the appropriate games (i.e., Super Meat Boy). 
    Deeveeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Deeveeus
    @Tairoku: yessir, sitting in one position for too long is bad for the body
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jimbo

1-4: Don't be a pussy.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SomeJerk
    I'm going to have debunk you, and try to help you, bro.

1) The eyes can be perfectly fine, all about balance and light like putting the monitor up against the right background, in my case rather than the regular wall it's back is towards my living room, also adjusting the image settings will do your eyes better, along with having not good, but the right light in the room.

2) Your back and neck can easily handle hours and hours, years and years in the same chair using a computer, it's all about ergonomy, something I learned very early on and the reason why the only problems I have from from a muscle disease rather than mouse-elbow, sore neck, bad back from bad posture when sitting and such. You probably remember seeing people in school hunch over whatever they were reading or writing like they were trying to hide something - that's bad for you, I picked up on those things early, and my body is thankful.

3) Same thing here. I have an IKEA desk with great depth so there is plenty of room for me to move the mouse and keyboard placement around. Usually I have an under-arm of distance between the edge I sit by and the keyboard keys while I operate them mouse with my elbow in a 90 degree bend, and the arm pointing downwards at a 45 degree angle, the under-arm pointing straight forwards for mouse operations on a large mat.

4) Plenty of comfortable-ass seats to choose from, even IKEA (goddamnit I'm such a Swede) has affordable chairs I approve of, even my bony no-ass ladyfriend loves it.

I've used computers for 25 years and this is my favourite advice on the citadel.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Skald

If you're hurting in four different places, maybe you've been playing too long. I can be on a computer for hours at a time, and this will not happen to me.

rflx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rflx

I don't see any disadvantages. I have none of those problems you mention, and I sit in front of a PC all day, every day, both at work and at home. Getting a decent desk and chair would probably help with your problems. Sitting comfortably and relaxed is what you need to be doing. And if your monitor is too close to you, move it further away. If you can't do that, get a deeper desk.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By spazmaster666
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " Yes we love this brilliant crystal ball sitting on our desks sucking the life out of us by being our drug of choice.   However ! 1. Eyes = burning the fuck up cuz you cant sit a few meters back like u do when playing on consoles (major headache right now because of that)2. Back and Neck = the same unhealthy posture for several hours a day? i wake up everyday with pains all over my fucking neck 3. Arms = stretched in front of us all day long with one of them holding onto a small object and moving it around? THEY'RE ABOUT TO FREEZE IN THIS POSITION AND IT HURTS !  gamepads allow you to rest your arms as you please :( 4. Your Ass = you cant game on the PC while sitting your fat ass in a big comfy couch! the best you can get is a fancy chair, and thats not good enough for hours after hours of gaming...    So what do i do now? my eyes are scorching, my neck is killing me, my ass hurts and my arms need a break.. not to mention the fucking headache. but i dont wanna give it a break because i wanna GAME and i got absolutely nothing else to DO !! Dilemma ? i think so! help your PC bro out "
    And why can't you sit a few meters back exactly? Who says you have to have your PC connected to a 24" or smaller monitor? Why not connect it to a 50" TV? Also, who says you can't use a gamepad to play PC games? As for sitting in a chair, there are some pretty damn comfortable chairs out there, as long you're willing to spend some dough.
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By captain_clayman

1) my eyes are fine 
    2) get a good chair 
    3) use a gamepad if you dont like it.  i actually use a gamepad for some games like just cause 2, fallout, super meat boy and stuff 
    4) again, get a good chair, or strengthen your tailbone by getting lots of vitamin D

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Rattle618

As previously stated, I think all of those can be related to any gaming experience. 
    I spend most of my time in front of the pc now that Im on break and I suffer from none of them; but I think its cause I work out and stretch every day (except for the eyes which have never been a problem for me), which I would recommend over spending more money on comfortable furniture. 

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By emem
    @Hamz: By disadvantage you mean..? :) 

All the so called "problems" @Ahmad_Metallic named are nonsense and he probably knows that himself. Playing games sitting on a couch for hours is less healthy than sitting on a (good) chair, but you can even sit on a couch with a wireless keyboard and mouse or use a gamepad for every game you want to play the way you do it on consoles. You can hook up your PC to a TV (using mine with a 46" plasma right now) or if you are using a standard PC monitor, as many people already wrote, turn down your brightness a bit, because the standard brightness (and contrast as well) is always set too high. 

@Ahmad_Metallic: If you only have things to complain about, why do you even bother using a PC to begin with?
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @spazmaster666:
    you want me to play PC games on a TV using a Gamepad? that doesnt sound right. and the gamepad is only good for games like SMB and Prototype.. plus, can you get high resolutions on the TV as you get on the monitor? graphics matter, you know. 

@emem: clearly you've had your mind made up about me as you posted this, so i wont bother arguing with you. i truly am having burning eyes and a pump in my head and pains all over my back so $%#@ off.
    RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RVonE

I have yet to encounter those problems. But maybe that is because I don't play PC games as much as you do. It also helps that I have one of my game PCs hooked up to my 50 inch television and I'm slouching on the couch when I play most PC games.
    ZimboDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ZimboDK

I have absolutely none of those problems, and I spend pretty much every waking hour in front of a computer.

Calibrate your monitor and turn down the brightness. And get a good chair. Also, there's no such thing as "proper" posture. The best seating position is the one you are most comfortable in. After 28 years of following those rules, my back is still fine and so is my eyes.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ninjakiller

Your mom helps.  

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#31  Edited By Tordah

I sit at my computer for hours everyday and I haven't had any of the problems you just mentioned. Maybe buy a better chair/desk or take up exercising.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By spazmaster666
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @spazmaster666: you want me to play PC games on a TV using a Gamepad? that doesnt sound right. and the gamepad is only good for games like SMB and Prototype.. plus, can you get high resolutions on the TV as you get on the monitor? graphics matter, you know.

Plenty of games play fine on the PC with a gamepad and many of them already have that capability built in. Certainly it's not the most ideal way to play most games that come out on the PC but then again a lot of console games could probably be played better with a mouse and keyboard as well so that argument really doesn't get anywhere IMO. The only games that have major issues are those that are natively-built for the PC (RPGs like Dragon Age or strategy games) and cannot be properly mapped to a gamepad. And obviously competitive multiplayer will always be about mouse and keyboard but many single-player PC shooters can be played just fine with a gamepad. I do this myself whenever I feel like relaxing on the couch while still being able to enjoy far superior graphics and performance compared to console counterparts (yes, have 1080p vs 720p on a 52" TV makes a difference). Speaking of graphics, most 23-27" monitors these days are 1920x1080 which is the standard res for HDTVs (and since you're sitting farther away, the DPI difference becomes more or less negligible). Unless you game on a 30" 2560x1600 monitor, there really is no difference resolution wise.
    emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By emem
    @Ahmad_Metallic: I had my mind made up after I read "  KILL THE INFIDELS !!!" indeed, sorry. But seriously, millions of people working on PC's "every day" got similar problems, that's why they use decent chairs and take breaks.  

Hm I really wonder why I'm trying to help you when you told me to f off.. anyway, good luck with your health.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @emem:  i rarely tell people to F off, im always so understanding it drives people mad, however i dont get anything from having an open mind, just get shat on. so as part of changing my personality, im gonna be less understanding and more 'self confident' telling 'haters' to 'sod off' 
    DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By DeeGee

I don't get any of these.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#36  Edited By Geno

1. Doesn't affect me; don't see how it would be different from consoles here. 
    2. Stand up and stretch arms and neck every hour; don't use computer for 8 hours a day (also, see 4)
    3. My forearm rests on my desk shoulder-length apart when I use KB+M, so no strain here. I actually find it more comfortable than using a gamepad, since using a gamepad puts your arms in a more unnatural position.  
    4. You could always attach PC to your HDTV via HDMI (in fact most modern TVs have a "PC" channel), additionally if you were so inclined there's no reason you can't extend your KB+M to a couch or bed, or use wireless versions. And a good seat is just about as comfortable as a couch anyway. 

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By Faint

what are you talking about computer's are fantastic. i've only gotten mild myopia from looking at the screen so often, nothing a little surgery can't fix!

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By finstern

I use my PC on a 42" tv and sit less than a meter away if possible, my chair is incredibly comfy and never hurts and I have mastered the technique of holding the keyboard on one knee and the mouse on the other. The only problem I have is wiith some games that were obviously designed with consoles in mind, playing mass effect 2 on pc at the moment and instead of double clicking stuff to select it in menus, I have to click it and then find the "select" button. 

My games also look a lot better in full 1080p and always hit their fps limit. If I want to not sit so close I use the wireless keyboard and mouse and move to the couch. 

Noodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Noodles

OP needs to get a new desk/chair/posture and/or hook up his PC to a real monitor or TV.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ch13696

It's called taking it like a true gamer and deal with the pain. All the pussies that cry about it end up going the console direction. 

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#41  Edited By armaan8014

Use a TV as a monitor, get a gamepad, voila

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By spazmaster666
    @Finstern said:

If I want to not sit so close I use the wireless keyboard and mouse and move to the couch.  "

I could never get used to using mouse and keyboard from a couch. The only way it works is if you find yourself a table with the perfect height and even then it's tough since you can't really sit back and rest your back on the on the couch when using a mouse and keyboard like you can in a chair (so you have no back support)
    finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By finstern
    @spazmaster666: I dunno I cant stand using a mouse and keyboard on tables anymore, have gotten so used to using my knees/lap *shrug* On the couch I use the arm rest for the mouse sometimes... but only if I'm not using the keyboard, sorta like a remote.
    TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TotalEklypse

i wast sure if this was serious. get a real chair, turn down the brightness, don't be a wuss.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By koolaid

The only disadvantage I think PC's have is that to play games all day means to be alone in my room all, opposed to the more social living room for the console.   Though I have had butt problems, I think that's because I'm also a programmer and I work and play in the same place.

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46  Edited By floodiastus
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:
    " Yes we love this brilliant crystal ball sitting on our desks sucking the life out of us by being our drug of choice.  

However ! 
    1. Eyes = burning the fuck up cuz you cant sit a few meters back like u do when playing on consoles (major headache right now because of that)
    2. Back and Neck = the same unhealthy posture for several hours a day? i wake up everyday with pains all over my fucking neck 
    3. Arms = stretched in front of us all day long with one of them holding onto a small object and moving it around? THEY'RE ABOUT TO FREEZE IN THIS POSITION AND IT HURTS !  gamepads allow you to rest your arms as you please :( 
    4. Butt = you cant game on the PC while sitting your fat ass in a big comfy couch! the best you can get is a fancy chair, and thats not good enough for hours after hours of gaming... 

Edit: im only comparing to consoles just for the sake of comparison. playing all my games with a controller and connecting my computer to a TV defeats the purpose of playing on a PC   So what do i do now? my eyes are scorching, my neck is killing me, my ass hurts and my arms need a break.. not to mention the fucking headache. but i dont wanna give it a break because i wanna game and i got  else to do!I think this is a Dilemma.. help your PC bro out :P "
    1. Just became a problem for me, mostly in FPS games, Im 33 and never had this problem before though. 
    2. Get a proper chair, mine is "ok" but I use my computer alot for other stuff besides gaming so im used to it. 
    3. Lower / raise your chair for a proper positioning 
    4. Loose weight or get silicon butt implants, your choice. 

^_^
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

" Yes we love this brilliant crystal ball sitting on our desks sucking the life out of us by being our drug of choice.  

However ! 

Edit: im only comparing to consoles just for the sake of comparison. playing all my games with a controller and connecting my computer to a TV defeats the purpose of playing on a PC   So what do i do now? my eyes are scorching, my neck is killing me, my ass hurts and my arms need a break.. not to mention the fucking headache. but i dont wanna give it a break because i wanna game and i got  else to do!I think this is a Dilemma.. help your PC bro out :P "

Not really sure, to be honest. I don't generally suffer any of those symptoms was my room is pretty well set out to make sitting at a desk as comfortable as possible. Plus my PC, PS3 and Virgin Media subscription are all integrated into the same television. I tend to play most non-FPS/Adventure games on an XBOX 360 pad, anyway :)

Eyes, though. The fucking eyes, man. I'm fairly sure it's to do with focusing on the same spot for multiple hours of the day. Uni work, tv and gaming are all done about 2 and a half feet from where I sit, so I often get really bad headaches by the evening.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Hunkulese
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

Edit: im only comparing to consoles just for the sake of comparison. playing all my games with a controller and connecting my computer to a TV defeats the purpose of playing on a PC     
    What's the purpose of playing on a PC? There are tons of games where a controller feels just as good as a mouse and keyboard and who doesn't want a more powerful gaming device hooked up to their 50" plasma?
    fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By fwylo
    @Ahmad_Metallic: To tell the truth those aren't disadvantages of the platform itself.  Your neck and back pain are from you posture not because you're sitting at a desk.  I game on my PC all the time, and work at a desk programming all day.  If you learn to sit up straight and not slouch your pain will subside.  Even though it is possibly the worst thing ever trying to get used to sitting in a good posture it will do wonders for your body. 

I actually went and bought one of those Exercise ball things to sit on at my computer chair.  There are some moments when I want to stab that thing with a fucking pen or something but you stick it out and it helps.  If your arms are outstretched you're doing it wrong.  You should have a nice 90 degree bend in your elbows and be comfortable.  Not only will they not get sore but I guarantee you'll be more precise with your mouse movements as well. 

As for your eyes I can't help you.  Some people just can't handle being close to a screen for that long.  I didn't realize the strain it put on your my eyes until I bought some Gunnar glasses.  Now I basically can't not wear them if I'm close to a screen for a long period of time.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Hunkulese said:
    " There are tons of games where a controller feels just as good as a mouse and keyboard"
    umm. no ? wait let me rephrase: fuck no :P 

@Hunkulese said:
    " and who doesn't want a more powerful gaming device hooked up to their 50" plasma? "
    im not sure on this: are plasma TVs available of giving me high resolutions and visual settings ?  i played Uncharted 2 and Red Dead Redemption on my PS3 on a HD TV and the graphics everyone praises are nothing compared to what i get on my PC's 22 inch Samsung SyncMaster.  
    so yes, i dont want to hook it up to the TV because A) graphics arent everything, but they sure as hell matter alot and B) PC monitor feels cosier  C) the HD TV in my house is in the living room..........

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.