Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Is Sony trying to quietly shut down Qore?

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ParanoidFreak

It appears that it is not longer possible to subscribe to Qore. After offering a free episode a month earlier to try and get new subscribers they subscribe button has been removed. The only option now is to buy single episodes. After the largely negative response to Qore do you think Sony is trying to quietly shut it down?

UPDATE: The subscribe button has returned, I don't know why it was gone for 2 months.

Avatar image for wallacethegreat
    WallacetheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By WallacetheGreat

I would think so, considering they have whatever that new video is called (with the asian chick) and if they have started to deny subscriptions that's a definite sign it's shutting down.

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ParanoidFreak
    WallacetheGreat said:
    "I would think so, considering they have whatever that new video is called (with the asian chick) and if they have started to deny subscriptions that's a definite sign it's shutting down."
    Pulse does seem similar to Qore, both of them are basically commercials.
    Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Kazona

Doesn't surprise me one bit that they're shutting it down.

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By AndrewGaspar

You know what was awesome? There was this game called Death Orb in the first five episodes, and that was a blast with friends.

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ParanoidFreak
    Kazona said:
    "Doesn't surprise me one bit that they're shutting it down."
    It didn't seem to take very long, only 8 months so far.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By get2sammyb

Well, they start the UK version very soon so I'd be surprised if they closed down the US one as the UK one starts.

dj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By dj

From what I can tell no one cares about it so I guess there is no point in making a big deal about its death.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zitosilva

If it does I don't think anyone will miss it. Most people would download it just to get early demos or betas, and the later would usually only work weeks after the estimated date.

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ParanoidFreak
    zitosilva said:
    "If it does I don't think anyone will miss it. Most people would download it just to get early demos or betas, and the later would usually only work weeks after the estimated date."
    Qore did feel pointless, do you think Pulse will be used as a replacement?
    Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
    DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DragoonKain1687
    get2sammyb said:
    "Well, they start the UK version very soon so I'd be surprised if they closed down the US one as the UK one starts."
    I dont think they are shutting it down, they may be uploading the new subscription since the previous one is ending now. The subscription is not like a regular magazine, its just a pre-sale of the episodes so having the old one is kind of pointless now.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By shadows_kill

qore is awesome and i dont think they should close it down. the newest episode had amazing gameplay or fear 2 and killzone 2 and a fear 2 demo.

ParanoidFreak said:

"WallacetheGreat said:
    "I would think so, considering they have whatever that new video is called (with the asian chick) and if they have started to deny subscriptions that's a definite sign it's shutting down."
    Pulse does seem similar to Qore, both of them are basically commercials."
    very wrong. i downloaded pulse and its nothing like qore. pulse=boring advertising... qore=games you actualy care about and gives you themes,betas, demos, and better info on the games.
    psmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By psmgamer

I been getting my Qore for free from OPM through their codes to download not the current episode but the one before. I don't think Sony would shutdown Qore after giving us the December issue for free. But for those who have a subscription does it renew? I don't have one by the way.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Red

OH NO! I LOVE QORE SO MUCH! WHAT WILL I DO WITHOUT IT?

Oh yeah, stop wasting money.
    The only reason I bought one was to get a Valkyria Chronicles demo.

Qore is horrible....
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By zitosilva
    psmgamer said:
    "I been getting my Qore for free from OPM through their codes to download not the current episode but the one before. I don't think Sony would shutdown Qore after giving us the December issue for free. But for those who have a subscription does it renew? I don't have one by the way."
    I'm not sure about that, I have a feeling they made the december edition free to see how much users were attracted to it and see if after that anyone would be interested in buying it. And I'm not sure if it worked, because I saw no one talking about it.
    DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By DoctorTran

If they shut it down... there's going to be a few hundred angry subscribers. Myself included. Hopefully they'd refund us, either by refunding our credit cards, or by giving us 25  dollars on our PSN account.

Lieutenant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lieutenant
    shadows_kill said:
    "qore is awesome and i dont think they should close it down. the newest episode had amazing gameplay or fear 2 and killzone 2 and a fear 2 demo.

ParanoidFreak said:
    "WallacetheGreat said:
    very wrong. i downloaded pulse and its nothing like qore. pulse=boring advertising... qore=games you actualy care about and gives you themes,betas, demos, and better info on the games."
    lol @ paying for betas, demos, themes, and info. Betas and demos are supposed to be free and theres a ton of free themes and user made ones you can download. Info? Seriously? Even if it is world exclusive info about upcoming games it will be blogged about all over the net.
    psmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By psmgamer
    zitosilva said:
    "psmgamer said:
    "I been getting my Qore for free from OPM through their codes to download not the current episode but the one before. I don't think Sony would shutdown Qore after giving us the December issue for free. But for those who have a subscription does it renew? I don't have one by the way."
    I'm not sure about that, I have a feeling they made the december edition free to see how much users were attracted to it and see if after that anyone would be interested in buying it. And I'm not sure if it worked, because I saw no one talking about it."
    Thats what I think what happened with the December issue of Qore. Sony probably didn't get a high number of subscribers so they took out the option to subscribe to Qore. I don't blame them because that issue was horrible and really didn't show anything good.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By shadows_kill
    Lieutenant said:
    "shadows_kill said:
    "qore is awesome and i dont think they should close it down. the newest episode had amazing gameplay or fear 2 and killzone 2 and a fear 2 demo.

ParanoidFreak said:
    "WallacetheGreat said:
    very wrong. i downloaded pulse and its nothing like qore. pulse=boring advertising... qore=games you actualy care about and gives you themes,betas, demos, and better info on the games."
    lol @ paying for betas, demos, themes, and info. Betas and demos are supposed to be free and theres a ton of free themes and user made ones you can download. Info? Seriously? Even if it is world exclusive info about upcoming games it will be blogged about all over the net."
    see i was trying to point out its not boring advertising/commercials. try reading what i was responding to >_>

also qore is basicaly a magazine on your tv that you choose what to watch not read about.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By StaticFalconar
    shadows_kill said:
    "Lieutenant said:
    "shadows_kill said:

ParanoidFreak said:
    "WallacetheGreat said:
    lol @ paying for betas, demos, themes, and info. Betas and demos are supposed to be free and theres a ton of free themes and user made ones you can download. Info? Seriously? Even if it is world exclusive info about upcoming games it will be blogged about all over the net."
    see i was trying to point out its not boring advertising/commercials. try reading what i was responding to >_>

also qore is basicaly a magazine on your tv that you choose what to watch not read about."
    The only Qure I had was the free edition; and with the exception of maybe one segment (steampunk), everything else wasn't interesting at all. Even Magazines have more articles than that.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By shadows_kill
    StaticFalconar said:
    "shadows_kill said:
    "Lieutenant said:

also qore is basicaly a magazine on your tv that you choose what to watch not read about."
    The only Qure I had was the free edition; and with the exception of maybe one segment (steampunk), everything else wasn't interesting at all. Even Magazines have more articles than that."
    try episode 8 O_o has heavy rain, killzone 2, street fighter 4(some not much tho), and fear 2. comes with a kz2 theme and fear 2 demo and the free december one to me was just trying to get people to get people to buy more games...
    chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By chililili

Qore is meh... Pulse does the same job and is free. And also Qore is riddled with advertisements the free december one had lots of trailers and stuff

psmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By psmgamer

Last year I was give a survey from PSU(Playstation Underground) asking me about Qore like if it should be free and stuff like that even if the price should be dropped from $2 to $1 instead plus if there should be a standard Qore that doesn't have exclusive access like demos, themes, betas that should be free and a exclusive one that charges you. I even got asked if the price should drop from $24 to $20. I really don't care for Qore but whatever Sony does with it is fine by me.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zitosilva
    psmgamer said:
    "Last year I was give a survey from PSU(Playstation Underground) asking me about Qore like if it should be free and stuff like that even if the price should be dropped from $2 to $1 instead plus if there should be a standard Qore that doesn't have exclusive access like demos, themes, betas that should be free and a exclusive one that charges you. I even got asked if the price should drop from $24 to $20. I really don't care for Qore but whatever Sony does with it is fine by me."
    I also answered that. After most questions you'd get something like "If  Qore price was lower. would get it?" or "if Qore had more demos/themes in it would get it?" and so on, so on. Everytime my answer was "no". Really, unless they gave some real "from the insidez" info there is no point to it.
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Hexpane

I'm surprised people even notice.  This was Sony's attempt at doing w/ Microsoft does, selling "content" that should be free, and IS free elsewhere.  I don't buy demos, I got fooled once buying GT5 prologue, that will be the first and last demo I ever pay for.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

its very easy to get free issues of qore as for that its not worth a subscription every thing you find in it can be found online and xbox live gives away the same stuff and info for free with their recent news catagories...ect

starfox444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By starfox444

They did a great job because i have no idea what it is.

Avatar image for psychoanalytic01
    PsychoAnalytic01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PsychoAnalytic01

I think that Qore is a great idea, but its execution is very flawed. I mean half of the interviews are no more than few minutes long, I think that a more in-depth interviews of the developers and how exactly they make their games should be shown. I mean a measly 5 or so minutes interviews isn't the thing which will excite paying subscribers.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By coakroach

Further proof that Sony forgot how to sell consoles

NukeGoBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NukeGoBoom

lol @ people who just bought a subscribcion
    Isnt Veronica Bellmont on QORE?I heard hear a few times at TWiT and shes sorta smart.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Wolverine
    ParanoidFreak said:
    "It appears that it is not longer possible to subscribe to Qore. After offering a free episode a month earlier to try and get new subscribers they subscribe button has been removed. The only option now is to buy single episodes. After the largely negative response to Qore do you think Sony is trying to quietly shut it down?"
    Hopefully, the fact that Sony was charging for videos that should have been free was ridiculous. 
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hexpane
    Wolverine said:

Hopefully, the fact that Microsoft was charging for peer to peer matchmaking that should have been free was ridiculous.  "
    I agree!  Seriously tho Qore was so insulting on so many levels.   The name alone is inane marketing jibberish... Qore!  you know like HardCORE!!! Reminds of the "XBOX 360 represents a circle, with the gamer at the center!!" nonsense
    The_Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By The_Icon

It seams so. If they added really good incentives, like coupons for free games off psn, then it would have been awesome.

meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#35  Edited By meptron

I'm surprized it's lasted as long as it has. Why would anybody pay to watch commercials?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By LiquidPrince

They still upload it periodically, so I don't think so.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#37  Edited By LordAndrew
    http://twitter.com/Veronica/statuses/1344042653
    There's a distinct lack of beer drinking going on at the @Qore offices today. This is not very festive and should be remedied.

Veronica posted that two days ago on Twitter. So it seems Qore is still alive, if you can call that living. No beer on St. Patrick's day? :(
    Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Guardian

It was a good experiment. Someone had to try it eventually with the advent of so many magazines going downhill. 

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

Qore has always been useless to me

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.