Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Naughty Dog declares that "We've maxed out the PS3"

• 87 results
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai

In a PAX 09 interview with GTTV, Amy Hennig Creative Director at Naughty Dog, have said that the first Uncharted game used about 30% of the PS3 capabilities while this time around with Uncharted 2 they are utilizing 100% of the PS3 power.  

There is no denying that Uncharted 2 looks freaking amazing and probably plays even better and is a serious contender for GOTY but I wonder how true these comments were. I am not gonna go around saying she is lying but I just can't really believe that Naughty Dog have found a way to utilizing 100% all the cell's SPE's as different development studios will find better ways to use the cell's unique architecture. On the other hand I won't go around doubting that as Naughty Dog have been in the forefront of PS3 development since day one and actually helped the other Sony's First Party developers in understanding on how to work with the PS3.  

What are your thoughts? Do you think that Naughty Dog have really maxed out the PS3 with Uncharted 2?  
    In any case Uncharted 2 will be a wild ride..."KItty Got Wet" Sorry I couldn't resist.   
    clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By clubsandwich

oh lawd...

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By oldschool

I doubt it.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Diamond

How many times have we heard this same exact thing about any number of platforms from dozens of different developers?

At least the Uncharted developers have room to talk.  Uncharted 1 was amazing looking and 2 even looks better.  They're probably one of about 5 companies that has any right to make such a claim.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By pause422

I dont think stating how much power its using matters one way or the other regardless. Its no question that yes, Uncharted 2 looks really great visually, but if it is using 100% of the power, its showing the truth about the PS3s abilities to literally everyone, and they can no longer act like theres some kind of infinite potential in it. The kind of statements that have some idiots claiming only a SUPER HIGH SPEC PC can surpass the PS3s power. Its rather entertaining.

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Damian

Not that Uncharted 2 doesn't look amazing, but I'd be really sad if this were true. I expect PS3 to keep blowing me away like PS2 did last gen.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By torus

This is standard PR rubbish. There are far too many factors that affect a game's performance for a statement like 'we've maxed out the PS3's hardware' to be meaningful- and you are not going to convince me that these people have somehow built the ultimate, perfectly efficient engine code and renderer, along with the absolute utmost possible asset optimization. There will always be ways to squeeze in more- it just becomes more and more difficult, and more and more expensive and time consuming.

Also, how much power you have has little to do with how good your game looks- what is most important is beautiful art. 

And technically speaking, Crysis still blows this out of the water.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By LiquidPrince

There's no such thing as maxing it out. Tomorrow they will create a more efficient engine that can do Uncharted 2 easier, and will make Uncharted 3 look even better. They have maxed it out for now.

Minos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Minos

no, we still have long ways to go.  This is just advertising for the game...

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By chaser324  Moderator
    @torus said:
    " This is standard PR rubbish. There are far too many factors that affect a game's performance for a statement like 'we've maxed out the PS3's hardware' to be meaningful- and you are not going to convince me that these people have somehow built the ultimate, perfectly efficient engine code and renderer, along with the absolute utmost possible asset optimization. There will always be ways to squeeze in more- it just becomes more and more difficult, and more and more expensive and time consuming. "
    You speak the truth.
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By AndrewB

I think the original Uncharted is really using 31.234%. Also, random percentage figures are awesome.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Diamond
    @AndrewB said:

" I think the original Uncharted is really using 31.234%.

Aha, that means Uncharted 2 can only possibly be using 62.468% of the PS3's power otherwise the number would be higher!
    TheKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By TheKing

I mean Uncharted 2 looks great but all I hear from the Sony fanboys is "The cell and it's power" so I'm kind of underwhelmed

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By maxszy

Does it even matter? Its going to look and be amazing no matter what. Who cares if it used 2% or 100%.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By Red

Meh. If this is somehow true, it's understandable; this is the best looking game for the PS3 after 3 years.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TwoOneFive

dude, she seems completely honest though.  

but think about it, they always say things like this, but people dont ever really understand it.  
    You read "THIS GAME USES 100% OF THE PS3'S 'POWER'" and think, damn, this is basically the best it will ever be huh? 
    When no, thats not true at all.  

They are using 100% of what they could get out of it now. Later, they will find new clever ways of squeezing more and more out of it and making things that were difficult before very simple and easy.  

Its kind of a lame thing to say though. Unless she is totally certain this really is as impressive as it can get. 

Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
    Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hey guys guess what, our developers of Uncharted 2, have made the game that we believe has finally been able to master the PS3 and use it to 100% of it capabilities.  What you are calling us liars, HA!  You say we are only saying this because this is our new game that comes out soon and we are only trying to make up statements to sell more games HA!  You say Crash Bandicoot used to be good but when it left Naughty Dog it sucked soooo much....well thats true.  But how could I the Creative Director of Naughty Dog lie to you, I only want you to buy this game and keep the hype going for as long as possible so more people will buy Uncharted 2. 

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By asurastrike
    @TheKing said:
    " I mean Uncharted 2 looks great but all I hear from the Sony fanboys is "The cell and it's power" so I'm kind of underwhelmed "
    I've never actually heard anyone championing the cell, but I have heard people say "Sony fanboys say 'the cell and it's power'".
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By KamasamaK

I saw something like that said in this article. But 100% power is a misnomer. It's just that now their design utilizes all of the SPUs more efficiently. Obviously in their next game they'll make further improvements, but perhaps the leap won't be as great.

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By masternater27

Just because you're using 100% doesn't mean there isn't more to get out of it.  You can use 100% but if you don't optimize it, you're wasting a ton of the potential

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kashif1
    @Maxszy said:
    " Does it even matter? Its going to look and be amazing no matter what. Who cares if it used 2% or 100%. "
    what he said
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Akeldama
    @Minos said:
    " no, we still have long ways to go.  This is just advertising for the game... "
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#23  Edited By citizenkane

Developers will always say that they have maxed out a console.  It's simply additional advertisement for their game.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By Jeust
    @CitizenKane said:
    " Developers will always say that they have maxed out a console.  It's simply additional advertisement for their game. "
    it's good publicity for a game, especially to gamers.
    agent_lost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By agent_lost

oh man I need to find this article , were the Burnout guy said that you did not max out a console, you just run out of idea.

Sound like PR none sense.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By JJOR64

If they maxed it or not, Uncharted 2 still looks fantastic. That's all I care about.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jimbo
    If the next 'hardware generation leap' just brings the same but with moving backgrounds, I will be somewhat disappointed.
    Enigma2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Enigma2099

I'll believe it when I see it... and I don't care if I AM a SONY supporter, this better mean more than "look at all the pretty stuff we got to move onscreen at once!"

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#29  Edited By sjschmidt93

Lies.

Bevinsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bevinsky

90% of all statistics are made up on the spot, you know.

FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

Liiiiiieees. ALL LIES.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By super_machine

100% they say. I wonder what it would look like if we could see inside the Cell processor while playing Uncharted 2?

Oh, Thats why its using 100%! Damn you Master Control!!!
    Avatar image for matt_the_sniper
    Matt_the_Sniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Matt_the_Sniper
    @Bevinsky:
    9 times of of 10 that statement is false.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Here is a secret observation I know of, I said on other forums, pause the video and see the screenshot. You will notice that in only looks good in motion until you pause it. The polygons looks very simple and it overuses effects and stuff to hide flaws. 

If you don't belive me, just pause the video, get the highest resolution video you can find and do the same thing, just wanted to point that out regarding it's graphical power of using the cell processor with a limited 256mb gpu. I think they maxed out the cell processor is a more accurate statement, the underpowered gpu's 256mb video memory is the bottle neck.

Bevinsky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Bevinsky
    @Matt_the_Sniper: This statement is a lie.

Got ya there, didn't I?

To stay on topic, Naughty Dog can't really prove what they're saying. I would have written more here, but I'm not really very good at writing down what I'm thinking, so I'll leave it at that.
    Avatar image for matt_the_sniper
    Matt_the_Sniper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Matt_the_Sniper
    @Bevinsky:
    Yea I think that pretty much ends it. 

Yea I don't really see how they could've maxed it out at least graphically, because didn't Hirai or Kuturagi say that the PS3 could support higher than 1080i they just don't have a tv that can support it yet. How can Naughty Dog max out the PS3 when the there isn't a tv that could show the PS3's full potential?
    MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MeierTheRed

Thats what developers always say when finishing a new game. And it never holds up.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#38  Edited By AgentJ

Didn't they say the same thing when MGS4 came out? Or was it just that they used the entire Blu Ray disc

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By iam3green

LIES, i doubt that it is true. companies have been saying that for years now. i think just about every game that has hype they say that. i don't think any thing is maxed out yet. 

i like how they say that they filled up the bluray disc. A bluray disc is like 80gigs or something like that. it's all raw data that isn't compressed at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naughty Dog needs to shut the fuck up with this petty trashtalk as any guy with half a brain who actually know about them, know that they are obviously in Sony's back pocket.
    BTW, saying that you've maxed out a console this early in it's lifespan is the stupidest shit I've ever heard.
    Look at the amazing shit that came out near the end of the PS2's lifespan, thatæs because there was a lot of hard work behind the scenes to squeeze out all kinds of power from a system after years of familiarity with the system and talented people.
    Sure you're supposed to sell your game as the awesomest thing ever, but it really makes them come off as douchebags who are too full of themselves.

Uncharted 2 is gearing up to getting an express route to my gameshelf, but boy do I want to punch Naughty Dog on the dick.

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#42  Edited By Siphillis

No, bad Naughty Dog.  You're not supposed to just boast your product.  You guys need to learn to needlessly disrespect you competition.  Take Turn 10, for example.

bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By bubahula

whenever someone says that its just them trying to sell copies of the game. nobody has maxed out anything
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like what LiquidPrince said, it is only maxed out for now, soon they'll find another and more efficient way to create games and better engines.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

you'd think that the PR areas of the console makers would go and shoot the balls off these idiots for making such claims about the system.
    I mean you've basically got developers saying the system is useless now it wont get any better their game is the top cause it uses 100% of the power.

Its all ways untrue its all ways for all intents and purposes a shit faced lie by the developers, but Its pretty much a blemish on the image of the system it self.
    Something I'd think the system maker wouldn't want to happen.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Black_Raven

Devs always say this to build hype for their game, who's to say no new techniques become available in the future making better use of the PS3s hardware? I would really love to know how they come up with these statistics..

They probably say these kinds of things because if they told the truth the average gamer probably wouldn't have a clue what they were talking about.

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By unclejohnny79

well its looks really nice i guess, wouldnt mind some more similar looking games

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DCFGS3

Awesome looking game, yes, maxed out PS3 Highly doubt it. If they have, then it's probably due to ineffective programing and a misuse of the PS3's capabilities. Last Gen, the better the programing became, the better looking the games were, but the specs didn't change, the programming was just used more effectively.

chogi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By chogi

people are saying that old ps3 units (60 gig ones) can't handle uncharted 2 and YLOD'ing since the gpu can't handle the load

some people here in the philippines are selling their copies of the game because they're scared

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#50  Edited By Lazyaza

Its impossible to max any hardware system, no one can code that perfectly. Every time a developer says this its a mix of pride, arrogance, marketing and just plain bs.
    I like Naughtydog and I respect all game devs but saying this kinda stuff is like an artist saying; 'my art is perfect and I don't need to improve any more because I'll never do anything more perfect than this'.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.