Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

People say "year of the PS3" But do you?

Avatar image for bestusernameever
    BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BestUsernameEver

I've heard

caption
    caption
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By shadows_kill

rockband 2 is also on ps3 :P. the ps3 is getting the best games this year. we already got a AAAAE this year

PenguinNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By PenguinNerd

It's definitely has been it's best year by far.  I've never gone around saying "year of the ps3".  You say that two of the biggest exclusives are coming to the 360 later this year...keep in mind that PS3 has some pretty big exclusives as well (LittleBigPlanet probably being the biggest).  The way I see it they are gaining steam.....I don't care about this whole "copying" argument because frankly everyone has done it...doesn't make it right but it happens.

And I agree with you....what the heck does "year of the PS3" even mean?  Better games?  More sales?  Some new addition to the Chinese calendar?  I don't know.

Subway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Subway

I don't think Sony's lineup is much better than 360's, if it is at all. I guess it's just personal taste really.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
    BestUsernameEver said:
    "shadows_kill said:
    "rockband 2 is also on ps3 :P. the ps3 is getting the best games this year. we already got a AAAAE this year"
    I know RB 2 is on PS3, I said it's debut on 360. Plus, 360 barely get's an exclusive on that one because the intruments come out when it's released on Playstation3."
    its a timed exclusive.  It falls under the same category as Last Remnant.  Late 08 release on the 360, mid-late on the ps3 in 09. 
    PenguinNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PenguinNerd
    BestUsernameEver said:
    "nerdboy said:
    "It's definitely has been it's best year by far.  I've never gone around saying "year of the ps3".  You say that two of the biggest exclusives are coming to the 360 later this year...keep in mind that PS3 has some pretty big exclusives as well (LittleBigPlanet probably being the biggest).  The way I see it they are gaining steam.....I don't care about this whole "copying" argument because frankly everyone has done it...doesn't make it right but it happens.

And I agree with you....what the heck does "year of the PS3" even mean?  Better games?  More sales?  Some new addition to the Chinese calendar?  I don't know."
    Yeah, I know, LittleBigPlanet is probably the best game this fall, but in terms of the mainstream, i think Gears will win the awards and whatnot."
    That is pretty likely to happen.  I'm really interested to see how Sony's big marketing campaign with LBP turns out that we've been hearing about...what with the billboards and such. 
    AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AaronBelfast

PC has the best line-up, IMO.

PenguinNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PenguinNerd
    BestUsernameEver said:
    "nerdboy said:
    "BestUsernameEver said:
    "nerdboy said:
    "It's definitely has been it's best year by far.  I've never gone around saying "year of the ps3".  You say that two of the biggest exclusives are coming to the 360 later this year...keep in mind that PS3 has some pretty big exclusives as well (LittleBigPlanet probably being the biggest).  The way I see it they are gaining steam.....I don't care about this whole "copying" argument because frankly everyone has done it...doesn't make it right but it happens.

And I agree with you....what the heck does "year of the PS3" even mean?  Better games?  More sales?  Some new addition to the Chinese calendar?  I don't know."
    Yeah, I know, LittleBigPlanet is probably the best game this fall, but in terms of the mainstream, i think Gears will win the awards and whatnot."
    That is pretty likely to happen.  I'm really interested to see how Sony's big marketing campaign with LBP turns out that we've been hearing about...what with the billboards and such. "
    It;s also interesting to know that sony has so much faith in the title, that their even making LBP's sackboy the PS mascot. I am anxious to see how good LBP really is, because at this rate, it could be one of the best games ever."
    Yeah, or it could be an amazing game and seen as one of the biggest disappointments this year because it doesn't live up the the INCREDIBLY ENORMOUS HYPE.  Though I've got faith that I'll love the game....haven't heard one bad thing about it from any of the major websites that have got a hands on with it.
    PenguinNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PenguinNerd
    BestUsernameEver said:
    "nerdboy said:
    Yeah, or it could be an amazing game and seen as one of the biggest disappointments this year because it doesn't live up the the INCREDIBLY ENORMOUS HYPE.  Though I've got faith that I'll love the game....haven't heard one bad thing about it from any of the major websites that have got a hands on with it."
    Yeah, I didn't mean best game ever, more like an incredible game. Even 360fanboys aren't saying much about it. Can't wait to see if all the hype lives up to the game itself."
    Yeah.  I'm actually quite shocked that 360fanboys haven't tried to attack it yet...I've heard a few people say something (mostly just friends though) but for the most part it's been all good.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By shadows_kill
    BestUsernameEver said:
    "shadows_kill said:
    "rockband 2 is also on ps3 :P. the ps3 is getting the best games this year. we already got a AAAAE this year"
    I know RB 2 is on PS3, I said it's debut on 360. Plus, 360 barely get's an exclusive on that one because the intruments come out when it's released on Playstation3."
    look on gamespot says same day release
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By shadows_kill
    BestUsernameEver said:
    "nerdboy said:
    "BestUsernameEver said:
    "nerdboy said:
    "BestUsernameEver said:
    "nerdboy said:

That is pretty likely to happen.  I'm really interested to see how Sony's big marketing campaign with LBP turns out that we've been hearing about...what with the billboards and such. "
    It;s also interesting to know that sony has so much faith in the title, that their even making LBP's sackboy the PS mascot. I am anxious to see how good LBP really is, because at this rate, it could be one of the best games ever."
    Yeah, or it could be an amazing game and seen as one of the biggest disappointments this year because it doesn't live up the the INCREDIBLY ENORMOUS HYPE.  Though I've got faith that I'll love the game....haven't heard one bad thing about it from any of the major websites that have got a hands on with it."
    Yeah, I didn't mean best game ever, more like an incredible game. Even 360fanboys aren't saying much about it. Can't wait to see if all the hype lives up to the game itself."
    WTH nerdboy did a chain quote without me :(
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By Arkthemaniac

This year seems pretty strong for it. I think that 2009 is gonna be the......hate me all you want......year of the Wii. With MotionPlus, we may see the best sports games ever on it. I'd say the PS3 has had a great year, though.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By shadows_kill
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "This year seems pretty strong for it. I think that 2009 is gonna be the......hate me all you want......year of the Wii. With MotionPlus, we may see the best sports games ever on it. I'd say the PS3 has had a great year, though."
    the only thing i know coming out on the wii next year is mad world and i think another tales game but that maybe this year i forget
    Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By Vaxadrin

I would use the phrase if they didn't keep switching what year it was on me.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By Dalai

I'm on that bandwagon as well... the PS3 has finally found its place and will continue to do better.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21  Edited By kush

I don't really think it's the year of the PS3...though I was also disappointed with MGS4. All they have (in my eyes) is LBP. Resistance 2 hasn't looked that great from the little footage that I've seen. Little Big Planet is my most anticipated game of the year, but that's pretty much the only PS3 game. I wouldn't give this year to any one system because I don't think any system has done anything to claim that title (especially the Wii).

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    shadows_kill said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "This year seems pretty strong for it. I think that 2009 is gonna be the......hate me all you want......year of the Wii. With MotionPlus, we may see the best sports games ever on it. I'd say the PS3 has had a great year, though."
    the only thing i know coming out on the wii next year is mad world and i think another tales game but that maybe this year i forget"
    There's a lot more coming than that, albeit more obscure titles. I'm really hopeful for Madden, NHL, NBA Live, and Tiger Woods. People said '09 would be a massive jump on PS360. There's an even more massive jump waiting to happen on Wii for the '10 installments.
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By shadows_kill
    Kush said:
    "I don't really think it's the year of the PS3...though I was also disappointed with MGS4. All they have (in my eyes) is LBP. Resistance 2 hasn't looked that great from the little footage that I've seen. Little Big Planet is my most anticipated game of the year, but that's pretty much the only PS3 game. I wouldn't give this year to any one system because I don't think any system has done anything to claim that title (especially the Wii)."
    i can see why you may think that. im a little more impressed by the muiltiplats but i still think lbp, socom, and ... will be good too. but to be honest no other system this year really stood out with many good games. only thing that ps3 has to go aginst really is gears 2 but i think it will be the same as the 1st with not alot of improvement but hey i could be wrong.
    DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

with Little Big Planet and MGS4 competing for GOTY, only game from microsoft that i see going for GOTY is Fable 2 if its epic!(i hope it is... i love fable!)

but 2008 is the year of SONY

and in 2009 we get Killzone, GT5, ICO's Project and much more... its a wrap!!!

Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx

Mgs4 is already out.. so i dont care, for me the year of the playstation was the day in which mgs4 came out and it ended the day i finished the game

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By mike

I played a few hours of MGS4 two weeks ago and I have no desire whatsoever to play that game ever again.  I don't get it.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Rowr

Depends what you mean by "ps3's year".

It a hell of a lot better than last year, if thats what you mean.

Is this the year it will comeback to retake the throne and crush the xbox completely? I dont think thats going to happen at this point. (as much as everyone seemed to resolve that eventually it would) If sony had been a bit smarter and less arrogant early they had a real chance of dominating.

The PS3 lineup just isnt there. I am looking for reasons to get one, but i still cant justify the purchase.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mike
    Rowr said:
    The PS3 lineup just isnt there. I am looking for reasons to get one, but i still cant justify the purchase."
    I justified my recent PS3 purchase with MGS4...turns out the real justification was Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Rowr
    MB said:
    "Rowr said:
    The PS3 lineup just isnt there. I am looking for reasons to get one, but i still cant justify the purchase."
    I justified my recent PS3 purchase with MGS4...turns out the real justification was Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction."
    meh.

I guess all the games i want are on xbox.

The only thing i can see on ps3 that i cant play on the xbox is LBP. Resistance looks meh. Killzone i'll wait and see. The ps3 mirrors my psp atm, just not enough killer apps regularly enough.

O and a few of the upcoming psn games.

Actually i change my answer, this isnt the year of the ps3! What the hell? When im more excited for psn games?

If i had a ps3 instead of an xbox, I would be missing out on gears 2 and fable 2. Screw that.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mike

I'm glad I have both now.  At least when a multiplatform title is released, I can pick up the best version...and there are games like the Ratchet & Clank series, SOCOM, and...well, that's all I can think of.  : /

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By get2sammyb

Sony and Microsoft are totally competing for 2nd place. Sony do have a VERY strong line up for this year (and some of next though) with a lot of multiplatform and exclusive games coming to the console.

Microsoft of course have GoW2 and Fable 2 -- but no matter how good those games are I'm not sure they compete with the full collection that Sony has: LBP, Killzone 2, Resistance 2, Wipeout HD, Home, SOCOM.

Even if they're inferior games when put side by side -- surely there's more coming to the Playstation?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mike
    get2sammyb said:
    Microsoft of course have GoW2 and Fable 2 -- but no matter how good those games are I'm not sure they compete with the full collection that Sony has...
    Don't forget Left 4 Dead, that game is going to be HUGE and still not confirmed to be coming out on the PS3.  If it does, it won't be this year.
    ajarbuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ajarbuckle

no, the ps3 will crash and burn again.

lantus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By lantus

I won't be caught using that phrase, but PS3 is definitely my main platform to purchase for this year, mostly because I want all their exclusives and most of the multiplatform releases I want are lead PS3 like Mirror's Edge, Dead Space and The Force Unleashed. I don't think there'll ever be a 'year of the PS3', it just doesn't make sense when you look at Microsoft has been doing keeping their line-up rightly spaced and get a lot of hype for their sequels and whatnot.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Otacon

It's a term coined by exec's to say that this is/was the year that the PS3 really started to matter, and I agree.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Icil

I think PS3 wins this year with MGS4.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Demilich
    MB said:
    "I played a few hours of MGS4 two weeks ago and I have no desire whatsoever to play that game ever again.  I don't get it."
    You should feel bad.
    MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MetalGearSunny

The best games are (or gonna be) MGS4 and Little Big Planet so I won't say year.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Pibo47

The 360 does have Gears 2 which looks amazing, Fable 2, And Left 4 Dead. The PS3 has LPB, R2, MGS4, and SOCOM (i want it NOW!). So i think its pretty much a tied game here. And how is Gears 2 the same as Gears 1, have you watch any gameplay at all? Watched any interviews? That would be like me saying that R2 and R:FoM look idenitcal.

brew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By brew

I don't take the "year of the ps3" meaning that it blows away the competition or anything like that or sell like gangbusters ....... but more like a turning point year for the ps3 from most of the 2007 negativety.

With major games like (MGS4 , LBP , and R2) headlining , surrounded by a good collection of other games ( Socom , Motorstorm 2 , GT5 P) , lower pricepoint for part of the year over last , higher system sales , blu-ray victory , Home holiday scheduled release , trophy implementation , video store release , and other things ........ it is going to be a great year for the ps3 , no doubt about that.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#41  Edited By chililili
    brew said:
    "I don't take the "year of the ps3" meaning that it blows away the competition or anything like that or sell like gangbusters ....... but more like a turning point year for the ps3 from most of the 2007 negativety.

With major games like (MGS4 , LBP , and R2) headlining , surrounded by a good collection of other games ( Socom , Motorstorm 2 , GT5 P) , lower pricepoint for part of the year over last , higher system sales , blu-ray victory , Home holiday scheduled release , trophy implementation , video store release , and other things ........ it is going to be a great year for the ps3 , no doubt about that.

"
    I have a wii and a ps3 I think I will get 6 ps3 games in what's left of the year, I didn't buy any wii games this year, I abought 2 ps3 games this year as it goes, at least as far as I'm concerned this will be a year for th eps3
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By ProfessorEss

2009, maybe.
    2008, definitely not.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TwoOneFive

yes, i do. and i will call 2009 the same. 

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By brukaoru

I say it's the year of games... Good games for 360 and PS3! Both are pretty much balanced in my eyes.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheGreatGuero

It could end up being the year of the PS3. The first year where the PS3 might have more good games than the other consoles. Things are finally shaping up for Sony. They got GTAIV this year, and MGS4 is still an exclusive. Games like Little Big Planet, Killzone 2, and Resistance 2 on the horizon. I believe Playstation Home will also be finally launching this year. The PS3 added trophies to games and is finally getting Bioshock (better late than never for PS3 owners). But let's not forget that the 360 is also getting Fable 2, Gears 2, and Banjo 3 this year. So it's still anyone's year, we'll have to wait and see how all these games turn out.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Demyx
    brukaoru said:
    "I say it's the year of games... Good games for 360 and PS3! Both are pretty much balanced in my eyes."
    Agreed.
    There has been many anticipated games coming out since '06. And the lineup is just getting better, for everyone
    HitNRun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By HitNRun

I think "year of the PS3" is just what it sounds like at this point: a marketing slogan. Not unlike Microsoft's Endless Love Summer of Gaming Arcade Live Xbox, or whatever the heck they were calling it.

Something like "Year of X" is the kind of thing that can really only be named in hindsight.

MOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MOLE
    nerdboy said:

Do you honesly think Littlebigplanet is going to sell that well?

I highly doupt that, with games like Resistance 2 on the way, people will bypass that game. I'm not saying its a crappy game, I think it looks amazing, but just look at it.

Do you really think the average consumer is going to pick that game over something like Guitar Hero?
    Subway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Subway
    Pibo47 said:
    "The 360 does have Gears 2 which looks amazing, Fable 2, And Left 4 Dead. The PS3 has LPB, R2, MGS4, and SOCOM (i want it NOW!). So i think its pretty much a tied game here. And how is Gears 2 the same as Gears 1, have you watch any gameplay at all? Watched any interviews? That would be like me saying that R2 and R:FoM look idenitcal."
    Yeah, Gears 2 looks like Gears 1, and it should, what do people expect from a sequel? A change of Genre maybe, yeah I think thats what Gears needs, it should go all RPG

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.