On August 12th, Carpe Fulgur, the localization team, announced that Recettear would be available for download from Impulse on September 10th. On August 31st, it was revealed that both Steam and GamersGate will make it available for download.
Recette Lemongrass is a young girl living in the town of Pensee. One day she suddenly finds herself responsible for paying back the large loan her father took out before disappearing. However instead of putting Recette out on the street, she is given the option to open an item shop so she can pay that debt. Together with her new and very stubborn fairy friend Tear, who is also the loan shark responsible for getting the loan back, she heads out on an adventure with that single goal in mind.
The gameplay of Recettear consists of running an item shop. You buy and sell items from the market or the Merchant Guild and place them on display in your store. When arrangement of the store is complete the store can be opened and customers will come in and ask to buy or sell an item, at which point haggling over the price ensues.
There is also a better way to get items, which involves dungeon crawling. An adventurer needs to be hired to go through dungeons and collect items, which you may sell at your item shop. There are 8 different adventurers whom can be hired. Each of them levels up and gains new abilities and stats as they are used. Adventurers will also buy items from your shop, like ordinary customers, and whatever items bought from you will be used/equipped by them in dungeons when you hire them.
In addition, items can be created through Fusion. Ingredients, which can only be obtained from a dungeon, combined with certain regular items can be fused together to create something completely new and unique. These items sell for greater amount of pix (the game's currency) and/or have greater combat stats.
Selling items will earn you experience that will in turn allow you to increase your Merchant Level. Obtaining Merchant Levels will unlock different features such as store expansions, carpet/wallpaper/counter changes, new fusion recipes etc.
The Shop's Items
There's a wide range of products the player can buy and/or sell in Recette's shop, but they mostly all fall under the following main categories and their correspondent sub-groups:
*Gloves are regarded more as a weapon than anything else, in this game.
- Processor - Pentium 4 1.7ghz or Athlon XP 1700 (or equivalent processor).
- System Memory - 256MB of system RAM (512 recommended for Windows Vista and Windows 7).
- Video Card - DirectX 8.1-compatible video card of any type with at least 64 megabytes of video RAM.
- Sound Card - DirectX 8.1-compatible sound card/motherboard chip.
- Other - DirectX 8.1-compatible game controller required for playing with game controller.
- Operating System - Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 supported.
- When you first encounter a dungeon's exit door, Tear almost calls it a "Go home", but then swears Recette to never call it that. This is a reference to the "Gohom" item in Persona 4 that lets you leave a dungeon whenever you want.