Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Respawn Entertainment

Company »

Formed by ex-Infinity Ward heads Jason West and Vince Zampella, Respawn Entertainment is a game development company owned by EA.

Respawn Hasn't Started Its First Game Yet

• 119 results
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Jimbo

Two articles about nothing at all in as many days.

Anderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By Anderson

Jesus, could these people hype themselves anymore?

Jais

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By Jais

Another Daikatana in the making bois.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#54  Edited By 234r2we232
    They do FPS' exceedingly well, I'm pretty sure they're aware of this so SPOILERS... it'll probably be a FPS. I'm totally intrigued by what it'll be, although being published by EA, they'll probably want them to do the modern warfare thing again :/. " We're not Activision, but dammit, maybe we can fool people into thinking we are..."

@Microshock said:
    " @MaddProdigy: Misinformed? Oh, I guess playing the last two pieces of trash they put out is being uninformed.  Actually, the COD4 SP was impressive for it's time. It's MP was trash but less trashy than MW2's broken and buggy mess of an excuse for MP. MW2's SP was like wut? Wut did i just play? Wuut. Also, I don't have to put "OH HEY GUYS ITS MY OPINION HERE" everytime I write something. If you're that antsy about people writing what they think, you should yell at every GB reviewer for not saying "in my own opinion".  So yeah. "
    Unlike every other anti-MW Giant Bomb troll, you're adorable and unique.
    billysea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#55  Edited By billysea

They are probably the most cocky developer in the whole industry.

microshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By microshock
    @sofacitysweetheart said:
    " They do FPS' exceedingly well, I'm pretty sure they're aware of this so SPOILERS... it'll probably be a FPS. I'm totally intrigued by what it'll be, although being published by EA, they'll probably want them to do the modern warfare thing again :/. " We're not Activision, but dammit, maybe we can fool people into thinking we are..."

@Microshock said:
    " @MaddProdigy: Misinformed? Oh, I guess playing the last two pieces of trash they put out is being uninformed.  Actually, the COD4 SP was impressive for it's time. It's MP was trash but less trashy than MW2's broken and buggy mess of an excuse for MP. MW2's SP was like wut? Wut did i just play? Wuut. Also, I don't have to put "OH HEY GUYS ITS MY OPINION HERE" everytime I write something. If you're that antsy about people writing what they think, you should yell at every GB reviewer for not saying "in my own opinion".  So yeah. "
    Unlike every other anti-MW Giant Bomb troll, you're adorable and unique. "
    I don't know if that's a compliment or something, but I don't see how hating something makes me an anti-MW Giant Bomb troll. 

I guess if it's rated 5 stars on GB by Jeff, it has to be loved by everyone on GB or they're labeled a troll/. 
     It was IW who invented game-breaking killstreaks. Chopper gunner anyone? Yeah....
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#57  Edited By Akeldama

What if....could it be.....Duke?

Avatar image for deactivated-5eecdd1d4617f
    deactivated-5eecdd1d4617f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RPG game like borderlands, but with the graphics and gameplay MW2 had would be cool. Set it on a planet like pandora or something.

mau64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#59  Edited By mau64

I would love to see the company do something else than an FPS. Hopefully a new IP altogether; although I bet EA would like for it to be what they do best.

jaks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By jaks

yeah gee wow. I'm on the edge of my seat. I don't know if it's going to be a modern warfare clone, or a clone of modern warfare.

TeamJersey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#61  Edited By TeamJersey

I wonder how long West and Zampella will be caught up in Activision's web of legal entanglements?  I hope they don't want to make a modern military shooter.  Hell, if they try to make a shooter that could compete with Modern Warfare 2 might cause them all sorts of headaches/red tape.

Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#62  Edited By Nadafinga

There's all kinds of stuff coming out of Gamescom, and this is what you choose to publish? C'mon, this isn't newsworthy at all.

Avatar image for steelknight2000
    steelknight2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63  Edited By steelknight2000

No, I don't expect them to make an awesome game just because they used to work at a place that did.

Piranesi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#64  Edited By Piranesi

I just don't think they will settle for making a new shooter. They realise that all it is a big old cash cow, the market is saturated with MW rip-offs. They need to make a clean break from their old games otherwise they will always be tainted with it. If they did an FPS, they can't set it in WW2, Middle East / Russia or in the future because of the competition. Just look at the rut Id have got themselves into - Rage is looking good but it's a fancy Doom clone a heart.

EA have given them a free license to do what the hell they want. Hopefully, they start off with a quirky download title or two to get their creative juices running and then launch into a full blown knock-your-socks-off IP. 

Still not sure if the majority that bought MW and MW2 care about the names in the back of the manual.
    Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Cold_Wolven

Well their strengths pretty much revolve around making military shooters. I can't imagine them wanting to start their studio off making some small downloadable game, that's more for indie developers. Since every possible shooter has been covered whether it be a historic shooter or a space shooter, Respawn will have to come up with an entirely original story if they do pursue a FPS. Personally I wouldn't mind seeing them develop a space shooter since you only really got Halo or Killzone at the moment. The good thing about a space shooter is you can be as original with your story and concepts as you want.

apoloimagod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#66  Edited By apoloimagod

I am really rooting for those guys, but there's no way they can pull off another astronomical hit like Modern Warfare 2. I am sure, however, that whatever they come up with will be great, and will do well in the market.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#67  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I'm not all that surprised about it. For the first time in a long time they're a new company with new freedoms and they're going to be kicking around ideas and possibly prototyping things.

lacke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By lacke

"These are two guys who really know what they're doing--having to go find a place for the team, buy chairs and desks and furniture, find new technology from the ground up, and pull a team together. I need HR people and contracts. These are all kinds of things and administration that need to take place. " 

This sounds like the bullshit West and Zampella have been feeding EA. I can understand that maybe they don't want to do another wwii-modern shooter and it can be hard to find a new genre to shine in but just say so then. Then again, I can also understand that they don't want to go out and say that they aren't/won't making "MW3" because I think they want the option to make "MW3" if they really wanted to or had no other options. 

Also, Jayzilla. I couldn't care less about the pope being the pope. I mean I care about him as any other person but nothing more.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By cooljammer00

Hell yes.  Strike while the iron is cold.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By foggel
    @Mystyr_E said:
    " @foggel:   so basically make a duo, known for military first-person shooters, new team and new publisher, continue to make military first person shooters? sounds stupid "
    Not to me.
    41d3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By 41d3n

They should switch to their sidearms.  It's faster than reloading.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By TwoOneFive

theres no way they'll come up with anything that can match Call of Duty franchise. No fucking way.  

They'll make something pretty cool I'm sure, but nothing as focused and clear cut as Modern Warfare was.  

If they try to go up against COD and make a new FPS game, then they'll have to do something amazing. They can, however, come up with a totally different game, yet have the same awesome precision and frame-rate that makes COD games so good. 

tach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By tach
    @kollay:  @kollay said:

" I guess they're having some major lag issues    (Puts on sunglasses) for the long Respawn. "   

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By HitmanAgent47

They went from living on the streets to now picking couches, ppl should be patient.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#75  Edited By FreakAche

I hear Facebook game developers are doing pretty well. I bet these guys are going to make a Farmville clone.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By meteora

Hoping that Respawn creates something amazing. I would love to see these two guys rise up from the ashes.

DaBuddaDa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By DaBuddaDa

I predict a Playstation 4/Xbox 3 launch title from them in 2013.

briangodsoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By briangodsoe

Hopefully we'll see something that isn't a military based FPS. I'd like to see these guys do something new.

kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By kermoosh

i have sympathy for them but nothing more

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By 137

modern warfare was and has been trash. great innovation coming off of BF2's modern combat steam, and utterly blown to shit. 

FuzzYLemoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By FuzzYLemoN

With a name like Respawn Entertainment, it's not hard to imagine what kind of game they'll make. Still, I really wish they would do something different. They're the very definition of "one trick pony".

Avatar image for warlockengineermoredakka
    WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Not surprised that they haven't exactly gotten anything major started yet. 

Give them quite a bit of more time- and they'll deliver.

nok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#83  Edited By nok

Is the comment  "It's like the Pope coming from the group of cardinals" really the best analogy? I'm sure some bombers have a better one.

ThePhilatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#84  Edited By ThePhilatron

Still feeling cautiously optimistic.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#85  Edited By Cybexx

They will be in pre-production for at least another year. Earliest I would expect anything to be revealed would be 2013. 

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

@radioactivez0r said:
    " It seems a little presumptuous to think they can top the sales success of MW2 starting from scratch.  "
    Modern Warfare 2 sold so many copies that the odds will be heavily against Respawn beating its' success with their new game. At this point in time it is hard to know if they will make something different, my bet is they won't, and that's what EA wants them for. A lot of people hate MW2 but when I played it the game was really good (singleplayer), but I know the success was largely attributed to the reputation/fame that the two COD studios had built up together, plus hype from the millions of dollars of marketing spent on it. Something like three times as many tens of millions of dollars was spent on advertising than that of the actual game's development.
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#87  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @kollay said:
    " I guess they're having some major lag issues    (Puts on sunglasses) for the long Respawn. "
    YEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH
    eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By eric_buck

It takes some time to get a studio set up...

Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#89  Edited By Belonpopo

Holy catshit! I didn't know that!

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#90  Edited By recroulette

I wanna see these guys make the next TimeSplitters game.

Crytek doesn't seem like they are going to do shit with the series.

azteris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By azteris

With EA pumping out new Bad Company 2 expansions, Battlefield 3, and Medal of Honor, I hope Respawn will do something something different.

NAKent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By NAKent

I'll be fine with respawn entertainment as long as they dont hire 402 for PR, Call me naive but I believe he is the sole reason IW came off as dicks. This occured to me when Vince Zampella was out there talking about MW2, he didnt sound like a dick at all.

MajorToms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By MajorToms

Though I'm not really on the wagon of MW2, I did enjoy a lot of aspects of COD 4. I just didn't like the story telling all that much. With MW2 I didn't really feel the MP would hold my attention over my MP shooting TF2 ways, and the story wasn't enough of a draw for me to really want to buy it.

That being said, I'm intrigued to find out what kind of game these guys will put out. If it's going to be another shooter, please don't be in the vein of a war story. I know they do it better than most, but I want to see these guys explore some unfamiliar territory, if not for themselves, for the industry. The last thing we need is another war shooter or GTA clone.

I'm also interested in the engine they'll build. MW2 was built off the original COD4 engine, which was a debut for this gen. I'm sure they found out a lot of tricks they could improve on their engine, but would be better off doing it all from scratch.

Sly_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Sly_Ry

They should do something unique and original. Like make a gritty and violent crime thriller with an interesting visual style, and mature story and dialogue. Set it in an urban underbelly. 

Bl4cKnWhit3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By Bl4cKnWhit3

I guess their first game will release on next-gen platform instead of current-gen.

kagekage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By kagekage

I really hope that they succeed and shit all over Activision's face.  
    But, hopefully, they won't make a mess of a game like MW2...

bitronix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By bitronix

Whatever they have lined up, and whenever it get's released, its going to be awesome, and it's going to beat whatever Activision has Lined up (Call of Duty: MW 4)!  I just hope that the fan base of COD recognises the new studio!!

fillmoejoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#98  Edited By fillmoejoe

Judging by their previous work I'm sure it'll sell a several boatloads. I don't expect any news on them until 2012 or 2013.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Branthog

How can they make a game, already? They're probably still painting the shed.

gegnre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By gegnre

I can't imagine starting up a studio with a new engine and tech is remotely simple, but this delay in starting a project also makes them look like they could give a damn about job security. That is to say, EA must be tossing absurd amounts of money at them with the hope that a MW2 gold-mine is lurking somewhere in their collective minds.  Best of luck, but they need to work a little harder than big budget, cheap thrills if they want to reclaim their perceived glory. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.