Saints Row is an Xbox 360 title that takes its influences from the Grand Theft Auto and Getaway games. The story follows the player in his quest to help the Third Street Saints try to earn respect and territory in Stilwater, a fictional city that is plagued by gang violence.
The Xbox 360 exclusive game was released on August 29, 2006 in the US, although a port for the PlayStation 3 was announced but it was shorty thereafter canceled. The reason for cancelation was due to all of Volition's resources being shifted to work on the game's sequel, Saints Row 2 , which was released on October 14th, 2008. Producer Dan Sutton claimed the reason for the PlayStation 3 version's cancellation was that Volition couldn't grasp the PlayStation 3's cell processor, claiming it was simply too complicated. Luckily, Sony assisted Volition with the harder parts of the cell allowing the studio to develop Saints Row 2 for the PlayStation 3.
At the time of the game's release it was critically acclaimed for its graphics, mainly because it was the first next-gen sandbox/GTA-like game.
Borrowed and Improved Elements
Many game elements were borrowed and improved upon from games from the Grand Theft Auto and Getaway franchises:
- The "Forgive and Forget" which is used to get rid of the players wanted level, is similar to the Pay'n'Spray from the Grand Theft Auto series.
- In addition to a police wanted system, similar to GTA, there is also a wanted system for with whatever gang/faction is chasing you.
- A GPS system was added to make navigating to mission targets easier and less time consuming.
- Restarting a mission could be done with one hit of a button, to avoid having to drive/walk all the way to the mission start point again.
- Players can now fully create and customize their character from the get-go, giving the player creation much more depth than it's competitors.
- Cars are more customizable, allowing players to add new parts and different types of paint to their rides.
- Garages are more expansive, allowing players to store more vehicles
- The player character can not only swim, but has the ability to warp to dry land as soon as he sets foot in the water.
Stilwater is a fictional east-coast-like US city that is troubled with gang violence. The city is ruled by three gangs: Los Carnales, Westside Rollerz, and the Vice Kings. The Third Street Saints are trying to take back the power and respect that they once had and seek revenge on the other gangs. The player's goal is to assist the Third Street Saints in achieving this.
In Saints Row you play as a nameless and (almost) silent character. In the beginning of the game you are caught in a gang fight between Los Carnales, the Vice Kings, and the Westside Rollerz Over A Graffiti. However, you are saved and immediately recruited by Julius, leader of the 3rd Street Saints. Throughout the game your goal is to take over enemy areas In enemy strongholds, and kill all of the gang kingpins so the 3rd Street Saints can, once again, take over Stilwater. Each of three rival gangs (Los Carnales, Westside Rollerz, Vice Kings) have their own mission path and the player can do each of them at any time during the game.
In Saints Row, you need to earn respect in order to play storyline missions and strongholds. Respect is earned primarily through activities.
Drive around Stilwater and steal "hoes" from pimps.
The name says it all. In this activity, you need to jack vehicles by damaging them just enough to force the driver out, then escape, usually with cops or other gangs on your tail.
3. Insurance Fraud
In Insurance Fraud, you dive into incoming traffic to score points. However, you have to stay inside a specific area to do so.
4. Chop Shop
You need to find the cars the shop orders, and then modify them according to guidelines. Some of the rarer cars can be really hard to find though.
It's a race. You need to get to the finish line before the other Racers. I'm sure you've heard of the concept.
6. Drug Trafficking
You ride shotgun as a dealer makes his rounds. It can get really intense in later levels, as you'll be harassed from every angle.
To start Hostage, simply jack a car that has an extra passenger inside. You need to avoid cops and maintain your speed to keep the hostage from escaping. If you keep this up long enough, you'll earn some money and respect.
A very challenging activity. You need to activate targets in the menu, which will cause them to appear as a crosshair on the minimap if you get close enough to them. Not only are they very hard and time-consuming, but you also have to kill them with a specific weapon! You're going to need a lot of patience for this one.
In Mayhem, you simply attempt to do as much damage to Stilwater as possible. Anything will give you points, running people and stuff over, blowing up cars, etc. You can get a combo by taking out stuff in rapid succession to help boost your score.
In Escort, you drive around while a hooker does her thing in the back. The clients don't like media attention though, so you must avoid them at all costs.
- Baseball Bat
- Vice 9
- .44 Shepherd
- GDHC .50
- 12 Gauge
- AS12 Riot
- Pimp Cane
- AR-40 Xtnd
- K6 Krukov
- Molotov Cocktail
- Pipe Bomb
The game features many multiplayer modes, including several co-op missions.
Protect the Pimp
In Protect the Pimp, the goal is to kill the pimp of the opposing team, while your team attempts to defend your own pimp.
Big Ass Chains
A mode in which the players need to kill another player, pick up their chain, and deliver it to the drop off point to earn points.
Gangsta Brawl and Team Gangsta Brawl
These are deathmatch and team deathmatch modes respectively.
The game also allows players to create gangs and join gangs online.
There are many collectibles in Saints Row. There are 60 CDs to collect and (just like GTA games in the past) it has many tagging spots too. The CDs will get you both an achievement and a new song for every 10 you receive while the tags will give you respect to allow you to begin new missions and will also give you an achievement.
Saints Row features a licensed soundtrack of over 130 songs covering a wide variety of genres from Classical composers such as Beethoven to newer rock bands such as Fall Out Boy. The songs can be heard on various radio stations while driving through Stilwater. Songs can also be bought from the record store "Scratch That Music" to create a custom playlist.
- Beethoven - Sym. No. 7 4th movt
- Beethoven – Egmont Overture
- Beethoven – Für Elise
- Beethoven – Sonata No. 14 1st movt
- Beethoven – Sonata No. 14 3rd movt
- Beethoven – Sonata No. 23 1st movt
- Beethoven – Sym. No. 1 – Finale
- Beethoven – Sym. No. 5 1st movt
- Beethoven – Sym. No. 6 1st movt
- Beethoven – Sym. No. 9 4th movt
- Chopin – Ballade No. 1
- Chopin – Concerto No. 2 1st movt
- Chopin – Concerto No. 2 3rd movt
- Chopin – Etude No. 11
- Chopin – Etude No. 3
- Chopin – Impromptu
- Chopin – Prelude No. 15
- Chopin – Prelude No. 17
- Chopin – Prelude No. 3
- Chopin – Waltz No. 6
- Delibes – Lakme Flower Duet
- Handel – Halleluja from Messiah
- J. Strauss – Die Fledermaus Overture
- J. Strauss – Leichtes Blut Fast
- J. Strauss – Tritsch Tristsch
- J.S. Bach – Concerto No. 5
- J.S. Bach – Fantasy and Fugue
- J.S. Bach – Partita No 1. – Gigue
- Liszt – Funerailles
- Liszt – Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2
- Liszt – Liebestraum No. 2
- Mendelssohn – Violin Concerto 3rd movt
- Mozart – Concerto No. 21 2nd movt
- Mozart – Eine Kleine Nachtmusik 2nd movt
- Mozart – Turkish March
- Mussorgksy – Bare Mountain
- Offenbach – Gaiete Parisienne – Can Can
- Pachelbel – Canon in D
- Paganini – 24 Caprices
- Rossini – The Barber of Seville
- Rossini – The Thieving Magpie
- Rossini – Wilhelm Tell Overture
- S. Joplin – Maple Leaf Rag
- S. Joplin – The Entertainer
- Tschaikovksy – 1812 overture
- Tschaikovksy – The Reed Flutes
- Tschaikovksy – The Sugar Plum Fairy
- Tschaikovksy – Violin Concerto 1st movt
- Tschaikovksy – Violin Concerto 3rd movt
- Verdi – La TraviataVerdi – Rigoletto
- Vivaldi – Four Seasons No. 1
- Vivaldi – Four Seasons No. 2
- Vivaldi – Four Seasons No. 4
- Wagner – Lohengrin Overture
- Wagner – Ride of the Valkyries
- Wagner – Rienzi Overture
- Wagner – Tannhaesuer Overture
- Wagner – Twilight of the Gods
- Clemens Schweikhart & Matthias Wittwer – Groovemob
- Dick Walter – Playground of the Stars
- Didier Heinrich & Jose Le Gall – Hello Jack
- Eric Casper & Janko Nilovic – Bossa New Look
- Eric Casper & Janko Nilovic – Super Week-End
- Eric Casper & Janko Nilovic – Week-End Pop
- Fred Marius & Jurgen Jaenner – Adventure in Speed
- Gerhard Narholz – Bossa Cubana
- Gerhard Narholz – Holiday Road
- Hendric Haydegg – Italian Summer
- Jan Schneeberg – Looping
- Joey Johnson – Alpenrose Memories
- Joey Johnson – Emily’s Happy Hop
- Jurgen Jaenner – Quicka Negra
- Larz Kurz & H.C. Mylla – Bratwurst Polka
- Larz Kurz & H.C. Mylla – I und du B
- Marc Durst – Cocktail Bossa
- Marc Durst - Holiday Bossa Nova
- Marc Durst – Nice Swing
- Marc Durst – Shopping Girls
- Marc Durst – Tutti Flutti Swing
- Nicolas Folmer – Running Swing
- Otto Sieben – Curley Shirley
- Otto Sieben – Western Post
- Per Bluitgen Andreasen & Yannick Kalfayan – Peyi La Douce
- Peter Sander – Autumn Sun
- Peter Sander – Sweetness
- Renato Bui & Martha Wild – Yodel of Joy
- Ronald Sekura & Otto Sieben – Pepito From Tampico
- Stephane Doukhan, Marc Durst & Edouard Miffre – Glamour Bossa Nova
- Stephane Hugeunin, C. Padovan & Yves Sanna – Quando Sei Vicinio A Te
- Umberto Pagnini – Slapstick Duck Twist
- Werner Eraerds – O leichtman das Jodeln
- Caro – My Little Pony
- Dieselboy and Kaos – Barrier Break
- Evil Nine – We have the Energy
- Freq Nasty - Amped
- ILS – Ill Logic
- ILS – Tiny Toy
- ILS – West Coast
- Koma and Bones – Questo Y Sporco
- Koma and Bones – Twisted Streets
- PsychatronX – Twisted
- Rythym Division – Uzi
- Skynet – Catherine Wheel
- Skynet - Stingray
- Stratus – You Must Follow
- Styles of Beyond - Subculture
- Bang Tango – Dancin on’ Coals
- Bang Tango – Love Injection
- Bang Tango – Someone Like You
- Great White – Once Bitten Twice Shy
- L.A. Guns – Ballad of Jayne
- Ratt – Back Fore More
- Ratt – Round and Round
- Ratt – Way Cool Jr.
- Slaugher – Mad About You
- Slaughter – Spend my Life
- Slaughter – Up all Night
- Winger – Easy Come Easy Go
- Winger - Seventeen
- Afrifcan Roots Act 1 – Addis Adaba Dub
- Beat Pharmacy – Slow Down
- Eek-A-Mouse – Jamaicanese
- Horace Andy – Live in the City
- Horace Andy – Stop The Fuss
- Jah Batta – Informa
- Jah Woosh – Riding Melody
- Love Joys – All I Can Say
- Prince Douglas – Tongue Shall Tell Dub
- Scotty –Draw your Brakes
- Sugar Minott – International Herb
- Tapper Zukie – Man Ah Warrior
- The Pioneers – Time Hard
- U-Roy – Way Down South
- Wayne Jarett – You and I
- Aberdeen City – God is Going to Get Sick Of Me
- Afghan Wings – Conjure Me
- Alec Empire – Kiss of Death
- Art Brut – Bang Bang Rock And Roll
- Bad Brains – Banned in DC
- Bear vs. Shark – 5,6 Kids
- Codeseven – Roped And Tied
- Cruiserweight – To Be Quite Honest
- Danko Jones – Home to Hell
- Editors - Munich
- Fall Out Boy – Of All The Gin Joints…
- Hockey Night – For Guys’ Eyes Only
- Huge – Happiness Everyday
- Husker Du – Could You Be The One
- Idelwild – Too Long Awake
- If I Were King - Cauterise
- Iggy Pop – Wild America
- Janes Addiction – Mountain Song
- Jet By Day – Meet Me In The Dark
- Kinski – Hiding Drugs In The Temple
- Local H – Bound for the Floor
- Mastodon – Blood And Thunder
- Men Woman and Children – Friday Night Fist Night
- Motion City Soundtrack – Everything is Allright
- My Awesome Compilation – Put Up A Fight
- New Years Day – Ready, Aim, Misfire
- Orange Park – Make up Your Mind
- Paint It Black - Panic
- Reggie & The Full Effect – Get Well Soon
- Rock-N-Roll Soldiers – Anthem
- Seemless - Lay My Burden Down
- Shelby – The Golden Boy
- Stereophonics - Girl
- Tempercalm – I Need A Co-Pilot
- The Adored – TV Riot
- The Aquabats Look At Me, I’m a Winner
- The Fall of Troy – F.C.P.R.E.M.I.X.
- The Letters Organize – Don’t Move
- The Loved Ones – 100K
- The Oranges Band – Atmosphere
- Vendetta Red – Silhouette Serenade
- Young Offenders Institute – We’re the Young Offenders
- Airborn Audio – Inside the Globe
- Aisha – Bounce Like My Checks
- Aisha – Leave the Ho
- Bathgate – Everything’s A Go
- Bisc One - Crumbs
- Black Market Militia – Hood Lullabye
- Black Market Militia feat. Dead Prez - Audobun Ballroom
- Black Milk - Danger
- Black Sheep – Flavor of the Month
- Camp Lo – Glow
- Clipse - Grindin
- Copywrite – Beautiful Trainwreck
- De La Soul – Rock Co. Kane Flow
- Eric B. and Rakim – Paid In Full
- Exile feat. Slum Village – Time has Come
- Grafh – Get Shot Boy
- Jin – Golden
- Kenn Starr – What Up
- Likwit Junkies – Keep Doin It
- Little Brother – Shake it
- M.E.D. - Nightlife
- Madvillian – Money Folder
- Masta Ace – Take a Walk
- Masta Ace feat. Jean Grae – Soda Soap
- Masta Killa – Digi Warfare
- Masta Killa feat. Ghostface and Raekwon – D.T.D.
- Masta Killa featuring ODB & RZA – Old Man
- Mathematics – Spot Lite ft. Wu Tang Clan
- Mathematics – Two Shots of Henny
- Mathematics feat. Ghostface and Raekwon – Real Niggaz
- Mathematics feat. Method Man – John 3 16
- MC Lyte – Paper Thin
- MHE Ghostface feat. Trife – Milk ‘Em
- Planet Asia feat. Prodigy – Stick and Move
- RA the Rugged Man – Black and White
- Rich Medina – Holdin’ Up
- Sa-Ra feat. Pharoahe Monch – Fish Fillet
- The Alchemist feat. Lloyd Banks – Bangers
- Three 6 Mafia feat. Trillville & Lil Wyte – Who is I?
- Turf Talk – Do The Robot
- Twista – Overnight Celebrity
- Vordul Mega - Spitamatic
- Wordsworth – Gotta Play
- Xzhibit featuring Strong Army Steady - Hurry, Hurry
- Ghostface Killah And Trife Da God - Man Up
- Rhymefest - Shut You Down
- David Banner - Saints Row
- Daz Dillinger - Git Out My Way
- Sy Smith - Leave The Ho
- Sy Smith - DFM Like I'm Your Wife
- Sy Smith - Bounce Like My Checks
Xbox 360 Game Installation
Saints Row requires 6.8GB of space to install on an Xbox 360 HDD.
Playstation 3 Release Cancelled
A release for the Playstation 3 was scheduled but cancelled in May of 2007