Konami Not Patching Silent Hill HD on Xbox 360 Because, Well, It's Hard

Posted by patrickklepek (2215 posts) -
Yep.

When Konami released the Silent Hill HD Collection back in March, what should have been a celebration of gaming horror classics, Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3, instead produced a collective sigh, as fans mucked through the countless technical issues within.

These issues were far more pronounced on Xbox 360 than PlayStation 3, and not long ago Konami issued a patch attempting to smooth out the PlayStation 3 version. Now, we know why Konami didn't release an Xbox 360 patch then: they have no plans to ever.

Here's the full statement released by Konami this afternoon:

Today, Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc. announced that while a PlayStation®3 online title update for Silent Hill HD Collection has been deployed for download via PlayStation®Network, plans for an XBOX®360 title update have been cancelled due to technical issues and resources.

Understanding the issues some users are experiencing, KONAMI issued a title update for Silent Hill HD Collection (PS3), which fixed frame rate issues as well as audio-synching and other reported issues. KONAMI apologizes to any players who are continuing to experience these issues on the XBOX 360 sku.

I'd normally take out the registered trademark junk, but if Konami's not feeling up to it, neither am I.

When asked if Konami will be offering a refund program for Xbox 360 owners, the company pointed me towards its customer support website.

#1 Posted by patrickklepek (2215 posts) -
Yep.

When Konami released the Silent Hill HD Collection back in March, what should have been a celebration of gaming horror classics, Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3, instead produced a collective sigh, as fans mucked through the countless technical issues within.

These issues were far more pronounced on Xbox 360 than PlayStation 3, and not long ago Konami issued a patch attempting to smooth out the PlayStation 3 version. Now, we know why Konami didn't release an Xbox 360 patch then: they have no plans to ever.

Here's the full statement released by Konami this afternoon:

Today, Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc. announced that while a PlayStation®3 online title update for Silent Hill HD Collection has been deployed for download via PlayStation®Network, plans for an XBOX®360 title update have been cancelled due to technical issues and resources.

Understanding the issues some users are experiencing, KONAMI issued a title update for Silent Hill HD Collection (PS3), which fixed frame rate issues as well as audio-synching and other reported issues. KONAMI apologizes to any players who are continuing to experience these issues on the XBOX 360 sku.

I'd normally take out the registered trademark junk, but if Konami's not feeling up to it, neither am I.

When asked if Konami will be offering a refund program for Xbox 360 owners, the company pointed me towards its customer support website.

#2 Posted by kindone (2841 posts) -

Sounds like crap.

#3 Posted by padman59 (8 posts) -

That's a shame.

#4 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11411 posts) -

That's unfortunate.

#5 Edited by AjayRaz (12477 posts) -

you've gotta love how they just say "yeah you can still buy it worldwide" at the end of the release, right after saying that they're not going to patch its issues

#6 Posted by Hannibal (863 posts) -

Retailers should dump this game.

#7 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

hahah what is Konami doing

#8 Posted by musicman1024 (16 posts) -

That's rough, Jesus.

Especially with their plans for any kind of refund program. Come on guys, don't release a product with so many issues, then give up trying to fix it. That's just awful to us, the consumer buying their product... :/

#9 Posted by JustinAquarius (198 posts) -

PS3 is looking like the better console each day.

#10 Posted by ZombiePie (5756 posts) -

This article has been attached to the Feces concept page and judging by Twitter that was intentional:

#11 Posted by mcmax3000 (290 posts) -

We've already had a big issue this generation with developers/publishers shipping broken games, and then having to wait for a patch...

Now we don't even get the patch!

Lovely.

Fuck Konami. I would say I'll never buy their games anymore, but I honestly don't think I've purchased a Konami game this generation.

#12 Posted by Draxyle (1898 posts) -

Oh Konami. There are many publishers that are greedy and manipulative, but I don't think there's any other publisher quite as incompetent as they've been in just the last few years.

What a waste.

#13 Posted by subyman (669 posts) -

Fez and now this?

#14 Posted by CycloneDE (46 posts) -

I am now checking out all the games that have feces in them.

#15 Posted by Talis12 (488 posts) -

oh fuck.. they pulled a Fez

#16 Posted by Curufinwe (1267 posts) -

Maybe the best single image attached to a news story in Giant Bomb history.

#17 Posted by deerokus (568 posts) -

At least they made an announcement that they're screwing over owners of the game. Good of them!

#18 Posted by Jay_Ray (1133 posts) -

poop

#19 Posted by iAmJohn (6135 posts) -

Dear Konami, go kill yourself. Best, John.

#20 Posted by Zabant (1268 posts) -

This is one of the first realisations I have seen of my biggest fear during the current generation. Game companies no longer have to worry about getting games out the door working and of a high quality, and people accept it because, HEY PATCH IN THE WORKS.

Well guess what, there isn't one, they have your money, nyah nyah.

Disgusting, and I predict the first of many such cases.

#21 Posted by Hunkadunkasaurus (166 posts) -

@mcmax3000 said:

Fuck Konami. I would say I'll never buy their games anymore, but I honestly don't think I've purchased a Konami game this generation.

I would perhaps reconsider my console choice instead. Sure, Konami shipped a broken product, and that's not to be commended... But it's interesting how there have been more and more problems with publishing and maintenance on the Xbox lately.

#22 Posted by ItBeStefYo (1007 posts) -

This sounds like a job for one million troops

#23 Posted by Zabant (1268 posts) -

@MongoosePL: I think its more he's saying fuck them on principle, not because he has a 360 and not a ps3...

I own both and didn't buy this game, and I still say fuck them. Its filthy they can do this.

#24 Posted by AnEternalEnigma (285 posts) -

Konami has fucking balls of steel to put "Available at retail stores" at the end of that immediately after apologizing for the issues that aren't going to be fixed.

My god, fuck Konami.

#25 Posted by Zacagawea (1616 posts) -

How is Konami even still in business?

#26 Posted by Nottle (1915 posts) -

Maybe Microsoft should make patching things cheaper and easier.

#27 Posted by paisan13 (154 posts) -

I can understand that the Fez guys don't feel they have the $40K to out another patch. But Konami have not even uped one patch trying to solve ALL the problems with Silent Hill HD. So in the future Konami wont get any cash from me, I'll just borrow the games, or buy them used, anything to get Konami to feel just ass swindled as I feel right now.

#28 Posted by stalefishies (346 posts) -

I feel like people were way, way more lenient towards Phil Fish for doing pretty much the exact same thing. He shouldn't get a bye just because he's 'indie'.

#29 Edited by deerokus (568 posts) -

I assume the technical problem is that patches on 360 are very limited in size compared to PS3 patches. This is a good thing, generally, but when a game is as messed up as the Silent Hill collection is...

Also, they used the word 'sku' as if it is a real thing that normal people say. Fuck those guys.

#30 Posted by Humanity (10123 posts) -

@SlightConfuse said:

hahah what is Konami doing

Apparently not much!

#31 Posted by 617_jbug (350 posts) -

I don't think they ever patch the HD collection so they still had the free patch.

#32 Posted by Lord_Punch (138 posts) -

Thanks for the middle finger, Konami.

#33 Posted by Zabant (1268 posts) -

@deerokus: People pissed off about their game wouldn't know what the fuck a stock keeping unit is let alone when its abbreviated to sku

#34 Posted by Jolt92 (1586 posts) -

I love that dog picture.

#35 Posted by jakob187 (21763 posts) -

@ZombiePie said:

This article has been attached to the Feces concept page and judging by Twitter that was intentional:

Good on for the proper attachment of pages to articles. = D

I'm so happy that I didn't drop money on this collection. I'll just stick with my original copy of Silent Hill 2.

#36 Edited by JackSukeru (5967 posts) -

@Zacagawea: They do other things besides games, like run gyms or some such, I forget.

#37 Edited by AgentMOO (183 posts) -
#38 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1733 posts) -
@Nottle said:

Maybe Microsoft should make patching things cheaper and easier.

Woah don't go overboard, that wouldn't be making Microsoft money. 
#39 Posted by Derangel (32 posts) -

@stalefishies said:

I feel like people were way, way more lenient towards Phil Fish for doing pretty much the exact same thing. He shouldn't get a bye just because he's 'indie'.

Fish deserves some level of crap for it but I'm more willing to believe that an indie studio doesn't have the resources to do a patch than a company like Konami.

#40 Posted by vdortizo (119 posts) -

@deerokus: I don't think it could be a size limitation for the patches because there are patches in the 360 that go at least in the hundreds of MBs (like the day-one patch for Battlefield 3), I'm guessing Microsoft is just asking for more $$$.

To the people who ever bought the PC version of SH2 and SH3, do these still work on newer systems? Or do they require a lot of hassle to get working?

#41 Edited by august (3866 posts) -

@stalefishies said:

I think Konami might have a few more resources than Phil Fish.

But I'm not an expert.

#42 Posted by SilentBob251 (62 posts) -

@paisan13 said:

I can understand that the Fez guys don't feel they have the $40K to out another patch. But Konami have not even uped one patch trying to solve ALL the problems with Silent Hill HD. So in the future Konami wont get any cash from me, I'll just borrow the games, or buy them used, anything to get Konami to feel just ass swindled as I feel right now.

And, the Fez bug only harmed less than 1% of the users. I still think it's shitty of them not to patch it, but I can sympathize a little bit. This situation I cannot even believe. It seems these problems are for a majority of players. They rushed a product out on a remake of a fairly popular series. Now, they have the audacity to say basically, "fuck 360 owners?" I thought about buying this because I have never played a Silent Hill game and I am interested in doing so, but I heard about the bugs. So, I decided to wait for patches. This has completely turned me off to purchasing this, even on PS3. They can't be serious, right? Cancelled due to technical issues and resources? They're a larger(I hesitate to say that) publisher that has abandoned a brand new game and those who bought it because it will take a little effort to fix. Imagine the outrage if Bethesda did this with PS3 owners and Skyrim. This move just proves to me that Konami is on its death bed and their incompetence will bring them running headlong into that bright light at the end of the tunnel. How far they have fallen.

#43 Posted by Homelessbird (776 posts) -

Technical complications blamed on why only the PS3's getting patched.

Is it just me, or is this sentence completely backwards?

#44 Posted by LackLuster (748 posts) -

Great. I love wasting money.

#45 Posted by MeatSim (10942 posts) -

This is more scary then most of the recent Silent Hill games.

#46 Posted by DrJota (701 posts) -

Well,at least Konami finally broke the silence...

#47 Posted by toastface (107 posts) -
due to technical issues and resources

This could mean anything from "It's too hard for the 3 guys working on it and we don't want to spend the money", to "We want to, but there are reasons beyond our control that we can't".

#48 Posted by Turhaya (63 posts) -

Konami let a busted version of the game collection go gold and get out the door. Unfortunately not as rare as it should be. The release quality of a game should be higher regardless whether or not day zero patches are the status quo.

In the other corner you have what is basically Microsoft's taxation of game patches and DLC. The idea was allegedly one of quality control, yet I've only seen these policies do more harm than good. Instead of sticking to their guns that acted to discourage poorly developed titles, wouldn't it be better to allow these types of patches gratis of releases on their system, and therefore elevate the brand as a whole?

"Technical issues and resources", whichever company is more at fault, still doesn't serve the customers that fuel their business. Build a better product and for heaven's sake let those people improve their product easily! Maybe there really were unsolvable technical issues. My bet's on money.

#49 Posted by Homelessbird (776 posts) -

@SilentBob251: You're right.

It's kind of hard to watch them shit the bed like this.

#50 Posted by HydraHam (1338 posts) -

@LackLuster said:

Great. I love wasting money.

Kinda how i felt after buying Skyrim on PS3 and it broke to the point where i couldn't play it for what? 2 months? Now we might never get the DLC? This generation is all about gambles.. Every other game either ships broken or gets a glitch that takes forever to get patched or doesn't get patched.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.