Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Square Enix

Company »

A Japanese video game company that is best known for the development of role-playing games. It is the result of a merger between two separate video game companies, Square and Enix. Its subsidiaries include Taito and Eidos.

Rise From Your Grave, True Crime: Hong Kong

• 104 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    True Crime: Hong Kong won't be called that when Square Enix ships it sometime in the future.
    True Crime: Hong Kong won't be called that when Square Enix ships it sometime in the future.

I was genuinely surprised when word arrived that Activision was dropping True Crime: Hong Kong after spending years of development on the series reboot with United Front Games.

Activision tends to prefer big with its releases, but it's been known to back some less-sure bets like Prototype, Blur and Singularity. True Crime: Hong Kong was not to have such a fate, with Activision cutting its losses.

Surprisingly, Square Enix has come to the rescue.

Gamasutra reports the Japanese publisher has picked up the development rights to True Crime: Hong Kong--but not the franchise itself. Square Enix will be re-branding the game, a change not yet finalized.

United Front is still working on the game in collaboration with Square Enix London Studios.

"When we first saw and got our hands on the game we fell in love with it," said Square Enix London Studios general manager Lee Singleton in his interview with Gamasutra.

There are plenty of details on Activision's decision making process in regards to True Crime: Hong Kong from my story this past May, wherein I broke down an internal memo explaining the cancellation.

"As many of you on the team know, I have a lot of heart for this game," said Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg, in a memo distributed to employees in February. "And there are many great things about it. Stopping now is a hard pill to swallow, because a lot of blood, sweat and tears have gone into getting the game this far. However, after two pushed deadlines and a huge increase in the original production budget, we needed to take a clear-eyed look at the reality of this game’s potential."

In short, Hirshberg didn't foresee True Crime: Hong Kong becoming a blockbuster on the scale of a Grand Theft Auto, and without blockbuster potential, it didn't make sense to compete.

"Even our most optimistic internal projections showed that True Crime Hong Kong was not going to be at or near the top of the competitive open world genre," said Hirshberg. "In an industry where only the best games in each category are flourishing, and for a game with a budget of this size, to be blunt, it just wasn’t going to be good enough."

For Square Enix, however, it's apparently more than good enough.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

I was genuinely surprised when word arrived that Activision was dropping True Crime: Hong Kong after spending years of development on the series reboot with United Front Games.

Activision tends to prefer big with its releases, but it's been known to back some less-sure bets like Prototype, Blur and Singularity. True Crime: Hong Kong was not to have such a fate, with Activision cutting its losses.

Surprisingly, Square Enix has come to the rescue.

Gamasutra reports the Japanese publisher has picked up the development rights to True Crime: Hong Kong--but not the franchise itself. Square Enix will be re-branding the game, a change not yet finalized.

United Front is still working on the game in collaboration with Square Enix London Studios.

"When we first saw and got our hands on the game we fell in love with it," said Square Enix London Studios general manager Lee Singleton in his interview with Gamasutra.

There are plenty of details on Activision's decision making process in regards to True Crime: Hong Kong from my story this past May, wherein I broke down an internal memo explaining the cancellation.

"As many of you on the team know, I have a lot of heart for this game," said Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg, in a memo distributed to employees in February. "And there are many great things about it. Stopping now is a hard pill to swallow, because a lot of blood, sweat and tears have gone into getting the game this far. However, after two pushed deadlines and a huge increase in the original production budget, we needed to take a clear-eyed look at the reality of this game’s potential."

In short, Hirshberg didn't foresee True Crime: Hong Kong becoming a blockbuster on the scale of a Grand Theft Auto, and without blockbuster potential, it didn't make sense to compete.

"Even our most optimistic internal projections showed that True Crime Hong Kong was not going to be at or near the top of the competitive open world genre," said Hirshberg. "In an industry where only the best games in each category are flourishing, and for a game with a budget of this size, to be blunt, it just wasn’t going to be good enough."

For Square Enix, however, it's apparently more than good enough.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Animasta

weird

Sliced_Bread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Sliced_Bread

yay? 

PerfidiousSinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By PerfidiousSinn

I had a feeling it would be back.

Can't say for sure if it's a good or bad feeling considering how poor this franchise as a whole is.

Eribuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#5  Edited By Eribuster

I'm glad Square Enix is taking a risk with this one. I like the city of Hong Kong and would like to see a good action game set in it.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By lordofultima

Well, I like the concept of this True Crime. We will see if there's a good game in there somewhere though. lol

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By GreggD

You know what? It's nice to see Square Enix doing something good. Instead of focusing on a trillion FF titles like normal, they're actually giving a dead game new life. Good on them.

Halopower67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Halopower67

I can't help feeling good about this. The game looked terrible from the nits shown but still, it's great that Square Enix is saving it. Maybe they can do it justice.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By N7

Awesome news. I was excited for TCHK and I couldn't believe they canceled it. Way to go Square for really stepping up. :)

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Dreamfall31

....ugh why? Far better games have been cancelled I'm sure, why bring this series back fro mthe dead?

jaks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jaks

Hopefully it'll start looking good and we can all sit back and watch Activision try to sue Square Enix to get the rights back.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#12  Edited By jacksukeru

Neat to see all that hard work not go to waste I guess.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

The first two games SUCKED. I really don't see how they plan to make a good game out of a franchise that failed two times. 

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RE_Player1

I loved Modnation Racers so I hope United Front the best of luck. Might check it out if it turns out to be a quality game.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@FoxMulder said:

....ugh why? Far better games have been cancelled I'm sure, why bring this series back fro mthe dead?

Answer to your questions 
     1. "When we first saw and got our hands on the game we fell in love with it," said Square Enix London
     2. picked up the development rights to True Crime: Hong Kong--but NOT the franchise itself."
    Those were both in the article :3 

On Topic : I for one am excited, I liked the little footage that was shown of the game.
    KillyDarko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#16  Edited By KillyDarko

In concept, the game looked like it could be great. Gameplay footage however, was a little meh. But either way, it's great to see that a lot of people's jobs are still on :)

Abs_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Abs_B

Not so good game franchise plus really bad console game developer gaining publishing rights.................... yeah, wake me when Square-Enix finally make a decent console game!!!!! 

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RoyCampbell

Awesome. I was waiting for news like this.

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By Artie

Consider this: Activision paid for development, Square Enix just needs to distribute it and it basically makes instant profit. 

i'm interested in playing it regardless, hell if it ends up being a hit it means Actvision will probably pick up the franchise again, which would be good.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By recroulette

Fuck you for making me think this was Altered Beast related, Klepek

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#21  Edited By buft

thats good news for me, even though they werent the best games i always enjoyed them

ItBeStefYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ItBeStefYo
    @TheDudeOfGaming: Streets of LA blew my mind. How can you call yourself a DUDE!?
    Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Dreamfall31

@Resident4t said:

@FoxMulder said:

Answer to your questions
    1. "When we first saw and got our hands on the game we fell in love with it," said Square Enix London
    2. picked up the development rights to True Crime: Hong Kong--but NOTthe franchise itself." Those were both in the article :3 On Topic : I for one am excited, I liked the little footage that was shown of the game.

Thank you for answering my rhetorical questions!

jeffk38uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jeffk38uk

Having played True Crime NYC, and being pretty disappointed when this was cancelled, glad to see it will come back in some form really.

dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dragonzord

@FoxMulder said:

@Resident4t said:

@FoxMulder said:

Answer to your questions
    2. picked up the development rights to True Crime: Hong Kong--but NOTthe franchise itself." Those were both in the article :3 On Topic : I for one am excited, I liked the little footage that was shown of the game.

You kind of asked for it with your uppity 'ugh! Why do people like stuff I dont!'

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#26  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Well most of the work has been done, I'd imagine. It looked pretty far along when Ryan last previewed it. So no huge expenditure on Square-Enix' end.

Abs_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Abs_B

Also shame they couldn't do the same for that other title "Gun Loco" which, pardon the pun, bit the bullet!! I don't mean to sound bitter but apart from their PSP titles and striking gold with "Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light" Square-Enix just cannot keep up with modern development or make their games  entertaining, I remember a time in the late 90's when Squaresoft put out multiple PSOne games and they were mostly, pretty much, all solid titles, with "Chocobo Racing" and maybe "Ehrgeiz" being the exceptions, then they made "Spirits Within" followed by the PS2's release and it all went wrong!!

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28  Edited By veektarius
    @GreggD: I can't say that's true of modern day SquareEnix/Eidos. They've been backing  a wide variety of western-oriented (and mostly poorly received) games.  I remember thinking when FFXIII came out that its profits had a lot of flops to cover for.  Moreso with XIV being totally DOA.
    spartan1017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By spartan1017

I thought this looked interesting and was sad when it died. I'll be interested to see what happens with this.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30  Edited By buzz_killington

Yeah, I hope Square got a good deal because the game was close to completion from the sounds of it.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#31  Edited By Video_Game_King

Is it still gonna be True Crime by the time Square Enix's done with it? Or does the name change extend to fucking everything about the name?

Seraphim84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Seraphim84

I'd play True Crime: Altered Beast

TheMailToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By TheMailToad

Hey Square Enix? Good job.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#34  Edited By PhatSeeJay

Activision sues in 3. 2. 1.

HS21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HS21
    @zoner said:

@FoxMulder said:

@Resident4t said:

@FoxMulder said:

Answer to your questions

You kind of asked for it with your uppity 'ugh! Why do people like stuff I dont!'

UNGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Excited for this game. 
    blacklab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By blacklab

Cool. I enjoyed True Crime LA.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#37  Edited By 234r2we232

They should bring Tim Schafer onboard while they're at it.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#38  Edited By MachoFantastico

Square Enix have been all rather odd in the games they've chosen to distribute. Hasn't been a massive success as it.

This seems a risk to.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#39  Edited By MachoFantastico

@Artie said:

Consider this: Activision paid for development, Square Enix just needs to distribute it and it basically makes instant profit. i'm interested in playing it regardless, hell if it ends up being a hit it means Actvision will probably pick up the franchise again, which would be good.

Good point, maybe not such a risky move after all. That said is the game technically finished? Surely some development cash will need to be spent by Square Enix so not entirely a win-win for them.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#40  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

It's good that Square Enix doesn't care about the qaulity of their games.

HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HubrisRanger

Surely Activision has some legal standing they can make before a game that they more or less paid the development for is released by someone else? Or will Square quietly slip them some money to buy the rights to the code but not the title itself?

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh yeah, True Crime AND Square Enix, two names I immediately associate with quality /eyeroll

Cornman89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Cornman89

Did not see that coming at all.

blurienh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By blurienh

I'm just glad to see that the work put into this will go towards something and not just thrown away. I don't want to make a judgement on who is right and who is wrong because I don't know the budget or quality involved but from an artistic view this is good news, it must be horrible to see years of your creative hardwork chucked away. Hopefully this has a happy ending and a good game gets shipped and turns a profit.

Avatar image for skullcrushermountain
    SkullcrusherMountain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Activision filing a law suit to stop its release a la Brutal Legend in 3...2...1...

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#46  Edited By Soap

As one of about 3 people who thought this might actually be a good game I'm really happy to see this back.

Sure it might not be great, but at least I will now have a chance to make that judgement for myself.

swomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By swomar

@President_Barackbar said:

Oh yeah, True Crime AND Square Enix, two names I immediately associate with quality /eyeroll

I know that it's cool nowadays to shit on Square Enix, but their games are generally of high quality whether you're into them or not. Of course they've had a couple of flops, especially recently, but every publisher has some of these. And they're the exception not the rule.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#48  Edited By yukoasho
    You know, with the other money SE's been spending, why not?  This makes about as much sense as anything else.

At least SE's western development teams know how to make a game in less than five years.

@SkullcrusherMountain said:

Activision filing a law suit to stop its release a la Brutal Legend in 3...2...1...

I doubt it.  If there's anything Square Enix is good at, it's lawyer battles.
    BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I saw the headline and just began to laugh uncontrollably. This is going to be great.

Not the game, mind you, I mean the spectacle of this game tanking and Square coming up with some excuse as to why this game failed.

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By saddlebrown

It's so weird to think that this game is from the guys who brought you ModNation Racers. Like... what?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.