Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Game » consists of 34 releases. Released Sep 16, 2008

Set before the events of the original Star Wars trilogy, The Force Unleashed casts the player as Darth Vader's secret apprentice tasked with hunting down the last of the Jedi Order.

The Force Unleashed: That is Why You Fail

• 147 results
    SpikeDelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By SpikeDelight
    This was a blog post I made but I think it encompasses every problem with The Force Unleashed demo. If you're a Star Wars fan you should read this:

I waited with baited breath for the release of the Star Wars: The Force Unleashed demo, and like many, was sorely disappointed when I finally got my hands on the actual game. But before I get into all these specifics, let me describe myself a little bit, as it might be a factor in all this that I am quite demanding of my Star Wars games. 'Huge' wouldn't be an adequate description of my Star Wars fandom. I am the kind of fan who, if you asked me "How long did Han Solo say it took him to complete the Kessel Run with the Millennium Falcon?" I would know to reply, "It's a trick question because he says he did it in less than 12 parsecs, but a parsec is a unit of measurement not a unit of time. That still indirectly references how fast his ship is however, because the route where the Kessel Run would take only 12 parsecs to complete would pass near a black hole, whose gravitational pull would pull in all but the fastest ships." Yeah.

So when I first heard around a year or two ago that this was touted as a true canonical followup to Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, I was very excited to play it and see how the story unfolds. I am also a huge gamer though, so I was hoping for a revolutionary game to go along with what was supposed to be a revolutionary story. This was back in the time of hype for Bioshock, Portal, GTA IV (before it was delayed) and so on, so a boy could dream about how good his games would be and the result wouldn't be so far off the mark in many cases. When I saw those videos of Euphoria and DMM, with the way that wood splintered when R2D2 was thrown at it, I was amazed. Then I saw videos of it all working in-game, with the Apprentice shattering glass that looked lifelike and metal bent just like one would expect. It was a Star Wars fan's dreams come true. Every fantasy anyone ever had about using the force in real life was about to be realized through this game that crossed my, and many others' two great loves: Star Wars and video games.

Then I played the demo.

I should have seen this coming in all of the video coverage I'd see of the game, but I was blinded by how awesome I had imagined the game to be. While at face value, yes the things Haden Blackman raved about were in the game, but just like Assassin's Creed, there wasn't much else. They showed almost everything that could be done in the game with a clever presentation which made it look as if the possibilities were endless. It was exactly like how My Cousin Vinny explains the playing card looking like a brick.

<Beginning here is a bunch of nitpicking. If you want to read about actual problems then go down to the end of this part>
    They didn't even get this part right
    They didn't even get this part right

The first problem starts as soon as the game is launched. The opening Lucasarts video isn't synced up to the audio. I played this video a few times too, and it didn't stop having issues. This shows such a lack of attention by the developers it is disturbing. The same problems occur with the ending montage, even the Xbox 360 'Jump In' thing was off. Then I tried to adjust the video and audio settings, as my TV usually needs the brightness turned up a bit for most games, and I wanted to turn off subtitles, so I press the button for OPTIONS.

Yes the OPTIONS screen has to LOAD! How could such a screen have ANY assets, graphical or otherwise, that require their own loading time? It's ridiculous. So I get there and there are no options besides brightness and a couple of audio settings. You can't even access the other ones until you start the game. This makes no sense, because if you want to have subtitles turned off for the first cutscene or do anything like that you can't. So I turn up the brightness (which, to make a longer story short, didn't even save and I had to adjust it again when I got into the game anyway.)

Yes, it loads both ways. This especially makes it a bitch when you accidentally press B and have to go to the menu and then back into the Options screen. So when I finally got to the opening cutscene, when Darth Vader activates his lightsaber the game hitches at the same part every time, stopping (thankfully) the video and audio, so at least everything stays synced up there. Speaking of audio, in this cutscene one really starts wishing that they didn't get Chad Vader to do a James Earl Jones impression. He starts off sounding alright, but it's easy to see through his ruse at the parts where he says "Critical Imperial shipyard" and "Kill everyone aboard, Imperials and Kota's men alike." I don't want to knock Chad, because he does an admirable job for someone trying to imitate one of the most iconic voices ever, but I don't think anyone could have done it perfectly but James himself. Another thing that rears its ugly head before the game proper even starts, the subtitles (which can't be turned off for this cutscene) are in the kind of Star Wars font that you'd download from a font website and is of the actual Star Wars logo. It's bulky and annoying to read, and when the cutscene ends and Juno Eclipse radios you, there's a wall of text with this stupid font, taking up like a third or half of the screen. Apparently nobody at Lucasarts learned how to write subtitles correctly.

<The nitpicking ends here, although this whole blog entry could be considered nitpicking>

I even discovered this easter egg. Yes that was me on GameTrailers.
    I even discovered this easter egg. Yes that was me on GameTrailers.
    I think one thing that everyone noticed when this demo began was when the windows are shattered on the ship, the explosive decompression that follows isn't very satisfying. Even when a bunch of crates are in front of a broken window, only a few of them will decide to fly out. Second, the Apprentice can't jump out of the window (which makes sense) but he isn't affected by the air flying out either. He just stands there, breathing (which he really shouldn't be able to do until that blast shield closes) and does nothing. Also the droids in the game don't get sliced very satisfyingly either. It's not because of the way he slices them th same way every time, but because of the disappointment that follows when the blast door is forced open and humans can't share the same fate. They just take it, with huge (and unnecessary beacause almost everybody dies in about three hits) health bars over their heads, only showing scoring from the lightsaber when the game feels like it, but never letting themselves get cut into pieces. I suppose I could understand Lucasarts' logic behind this, but not in exactly the same way that everyone else assumes. I figure that if everyone's limbs were flying off left and right, the game would end up the same way the Godfather game ended up, way overly gory compared to the movies it came from. The Godfather film probably would have been as brutal as the game, but it didn't show the violence as much, so when the game showed everything behind the scenes, it looked way over the top. I think it would have been the same with this game. No one in a Star Wars film ever chops up that many humanoids, so if a player was to see thousands of humanoids being dismembered in this video game it would look repulsive, even if there was no blood.

Another thing I have a huge problem with is waiting right at the end of the first hallway in the TIE Fighter hangar. Why would a game with technology behind the scenes so advanced resort to including 'Unlimited Force Usage' or 'Extra Damage' powerups? Why would it have any powerups? It's the year 2008, Lucasarts, we're not running away from ghosts and eating pellets, we want some kind of depth in our games--or at least give the powerup some kind of veil behind Star Wars lure. I'm sure you could have thought of something if you actually put your minds to it. I wouldn't really have a problem with this, but this game was riding on its technology and how advanced it was for a Stormtrooper to think about grabbing onto something to not get pushed off a ledge or how wood splinters like real wood. It's trying to be realistic (within the context of the subject matter at least) so it's kind of stupid that they shoehorn these powerups in there.

The lightsaber combat isn't very satisfying either. It's controlled by simple 'combos.' I know that a lot of games do this, but with the extremely visceral feeling one gets from using the Force in this game, this lightsaber swinging pales in comparison. I appreciate combining moves like infusing the lightsaber with lightning, and I understood that there are multiple combos depending on how many times the saber is swung, but how much better would it have been to have The Force Unleashed control like a faster version of Assassin's Creed? You would have to block all the blaster shots (instead of be able to get hit with like 15 shots before dying) and you could run while blocking, a feature conspicuously absent from the demo, which now forces the Apprentice to look like an idiot using the 'Force propel forward' move like a million times to get away from the AT-ST's fire. He could then press X while blocking to try to counter a blaster shot back to the guy who shot it. If he messed up a counter move it would just be a 'sloppy block' like in Assassin's Creed and he would lose health, but without actually being hit. Then when his health is gone, the next time he messes up a block he would be hit with a blaster shot and he'd die. When the apprentice was close he could do whatever combo he wanted to do, but with a more visceral feeling. It never feels like the Apprentice is paying attention to who he's slicing, like he doesn't know anybody's there. It just looks like he's flailing his saber about and people are falling down because of it. He never even impales people personally like Altair does, only when he's doing his lightsaber impale from afar.

They also missed the chance to do a few cool moves that Sith would be able to do, such as Force Choke. Perhaps this will be in the real game, but instead of L just flinging a guy straight up (which can already be done by flicking RS up) a player could hold it to choke the guy. Maybe you could feel his heartbeat with your controller like in The Godfather game or something. Jedi mind tricks would be cool too, maybe he could turn a guy (or an AT-ST) against his comrades. There are a lot of other powers that could be put to use, but I can't think of any others at the moment.

Also, and many people don't understand that this is what's happening, the targeting system for using Force Grip is relative to the Apprentice's position, and not relative to the camera's position. This means a player has to position the Apprentice exactly towards something to grab it, but most people just try to point the camera at whatever the thing is and cry when he picks up the wrong thing. This is a flaw with the game, however because if the player is pointing towards something there is no way for the game to tell the difference between two targeted things if they're vertically stacked. A camera pointing towards them would be able to though, so I don't know why they didn't implement the targeting system that way, or at least give the option to do it either way like DEAD RISING did for Frank's camera's controls (by that I mean his camera used for photography, not the game's camera). And why can't you repeatedly fling a guy into a wall, like in the target video for the game that was released with the game's announcement?

Really?
    Really?
    Last, and certainly not least is the weak boss battle against the AT-ST at the end of the demo. I know a lot of people speculate that this is not going to be in the real game, but whether it is or not is irrelevant. The problem still stands in that is how you have to kill an AT-ST in the game, and most likely all other bosses. The stupid 'weaken him by beating him with your lightsaber and other moves ad nauseum and then do a quicktime event' is so archaic it's laughable. God of War does it well, but in a setting where a player is under the impression that he can kill almost anything with his "Unleashed" Force powers, it's stupid to say that an AT-ST is a formidable foe. It explodes after tripping on a bunch of logs set up by Ewoks! You think it takes this much effort to destroy an AT-ST? A strong wind can blow one of those over! The stomp attack it does is stupid because it doesn't even make sense in this physics-based world the game sets up, and the 'two shot' attack is annoying, knocking the player yards back, and usually off the edge of the platform he's on. The ultimate frustration sets in when the player realizes just how useless the block move really is when the '20 blaster shots' attack can't even be escaped after a successful block because apparently it takes less time to reload than it takes for a Sith warrior to get off his ass and move out of the way. I could have thought of so many better ways to take care of an AT-ST in an Unleashed fashion it's not even funny. Not in a finisher, just right when you encounter him. In fact:
    • Target his legs and take them out from under him
    • Target his head and push him off the edge
    • Use the Force to bend the guns so when they tried to shoot they would explode
    • Use the Force to open the hatch where the Stormtroopers inside see from and pull them out, disabling it
    • Use your lightsaber (which can still cut through metal like a hot knife through butter in the game) and cut his legs off
    • Use your jughtsaber and cut it anywhere. It'd probably go down.
    • Use Force Lightning on the power source, overloading it and probably making it explode or something.
    • Jump on top of it and thrust your lightsaber into the top of its head like a Colossus

Those are just a couple of ideas I had that would be better than this generic miniboss encounter.

These are all the problems with this game I can think of at the moment, and nothing would make me happier than to be proved wrong by the final game when it's released. I will still be purchasing it and I'll probably still enjoy it for the story, but I couldn't help but vocalize the thoughts that were brewing in my head. I wanted very much to like this game, and I thought it would be just as revolutionary for gaming as Star Wars was for films. But sadly, it's more generic than almost anything out there today. Maybe someday Lucasarts will come to their senses, but I guess for now I'll just have to continue holding Star Wars Republic Commando as the only symbol of Star Wars gaming nirvana for all future games to strive for. At least it's the only one set during the Galactic Civil War that's great.

also, inb4 stfu, why are you so serious about this, etc.
    If you're not interested in this topic then don't fucking read this blog, don't give me negative feedback solely because you don't like the fact that I wrote volumes on this subject. I swear if somebody writes a comment like that please refer them to this.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

I agree with you on virtually every point you made, and I could even add some of my own, but I won't.  I'm glad a demo was released for Force Unleashed...I'll rent it now.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By DualReaver

Great read and I agree with you on everything.

I almost yelled what the fuck, when the word  "loading" came up when I was trying to get to the options menu.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Demyx

Too much for me to read, but I did my best.
    You made some valid points, but as someone who hasn't been able to download the demo, I can't exactly say much.

But it seems that this game isn't as good as everyone thought it would be. I'll wait to make a decision if I ever get to DL the demo.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Lies

I thought the options screen having to load was hilarious. Really, just completely poor. However, I'm guessing the video probs were just the demo, they won't end up like that in the full game.

And the powerups are less of an annoyance to me, because it seems that Force Unleashed is going less the "immersive" route and is instead more focusing on being a game. Yeah, it's a bit cheesy, but whatever. Not a huge problem.

And they've said Apprentice never gets force choke. Which is really just like: "What the fuck?" since THEY ALREADY CODED IT FOR VADER (He has it in the tutorial level). That's just stupid to me, since there are only like four powers for the Apprentice in the whole game (Grip, push, lightning, and repulse).

Running while blocking will presumably be one of the character upgrades available when you level up, although I could be wrong.

QTE's suck.

So yeah, the demo was kinda less than I expected, buut I'm willing to let it slide a bit. I've got a weak spot for Star Wars, and this certainy looks better than the clone wars tripe they got coming. And I'm the kinda of Star Wars fan who knows about the Yuuzhan Vong, so I wouldn't entirely discount my opinion because I don't like Star Wars as much as you do ;)

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Otacon

I agree, but I'm afraid that I was expecting exactly what the game delivered, like you I will still purchase because I'm a fan. Nice blog structure and phrasing also.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By BiggerBomb

Dude, that was awesome. I agree with you on every point and I'm really impressed on how elaborate and thorough your "vocalization" was. You even mentioned issues within the demo that retrospectively (after reading your article) I now notice, though were subliminal to me at the time. Mad props.

I only have to disagree with you in one spot....

SpikeDelight said:

Maybe someday Lucasarts will come to their senses, but I guess for now I'll just have to continue holding Star Wars Republic Commando as the only symbol of Star Wars gaming nirvana for all future games to strive for.
    Woah man, easy there! What about Knights of the Old Republic?! How could you possibly omit the (imo) single greatest RPG of all time and possibly one of the greatest games of all time. Not to mention the best Star Wars game out there. If RPGs are just not your cup of tea, I wholeheartedly understand. Otherwise, don't forget the KOTOR!

Good work.

/pats you on the back
    SpikeDelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SpikeDelight
    Lies said:
    And I'm the kinda of Star Wars fan who knows about the Yuuzhan Vong, so I wouldn't entirely discount my opinion because I don't like Star Wars as much as you do ;)"
    Hey man I would never discount someone's opinion just because they don't know obscure trivia like you and I, I just put that part in there to show how pumped I was for this game. Also you made some great points, and I hope running while blocking will make its way into the game eventually! :D
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mike
    Lies said:

Running while blocking will presumably be one of the character upgrades available when you level up, although I could be wrong.
    Is that just a guess?  That's one of my major hangups about this game.
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Lies
    MB said:
    "Lies said:

Is that just a guess?  That's one of my major hangups about this game."
    I know for sure they mentioned that you would be able to buy an ability to passively block more shots with your lightsaber. Being able to do a full block while moving is speculation, but if they're upgrading your passive block ability, it only follows that they'd upgrade your full block ability also.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mike

Well, that's better than nothing...I'd like to know more about the mechanics of this game but LucasArts sure is being tight-lipped with details.  That's probably not a good sign.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lies

Well, it's pretty much that demo. Plus force repulse.

Although I was watching a developer walkthrough on Gametrailers, and the guy said six force powers. And I went: WHHHAAAA? Because they've been pretty adamant about only having four so far. Grip, push, lightning, repulse. I guess if you count saber throw that's five... I can't account for #6 though.

Was listening to the 1UpYours podcast today, and the guys who reviewed it weren't so hot on it, although they said they were holdng back their full impressions until their magazine hit, which is understandable. Apparently though, you DO get to pull a Star Destroyer out of the sky, and apparently it's NOT THAT COOL?!?! Not really sure how that works. Seems pretty fucking awesome to me.

Anyways, here are those videos I was talking about (When he say droid jedi master, he means a jedi droid maker. Just to avert any nerd rage :P):

SpikeDelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SpikeDelight
    BiggerBomb said:
    "Dude, that was awesome. I agree with you on every point and I'm really impressed on how elaborate and thorough your "vocalization" was. You even mentioned issues within the demo that retrospectively (after reading your article) I now notice, though were subliminal to me at the time. Mad props.

SpikeDelight said:
     Maybe someday Lucasarts will come to their senses, but I guess for now I'll just have to continue holding Star Wars Republic Commando as the only symbol of Star Wars gaming nirvana for all future games to strive for.
    Woah man, easy there! What about Knights of the Old Republic?! How could you possibly omit the (imo) single greatest RPG of all time and possibly one of the greatest games of all time. Not to mention the best Star Wars game out there. If RPGs are just not your cup of tea, I wholeheartedly understand. Otherwise, don't forget the KOTOR!

Good work.

/pats you on the back"

Thanks for the kind words. I guess I did kind of forget about KOTOR, although Republic Commando still stands as the best Galactic Civil War era Star Wars
    game out there. ;)
    BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By BiggerBomb

I still might get the game, gameplay footage outside of the demo looks better. Though that is isolated and on the developer's terms. The demo wasn't devoid of fun and I enjoyed many aspects of the game. I just had to say this so my subconscious doesn't label me as a hypocrite if I do indeed get it.

D:

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Rowr

Its not awful.

Its just not perfect.

put in some better lightsaber stuff, put another coat of polish on, and im fine with it.

get rid of that godawful font. I dont know whether its supposed to be the "star wars" font, but it brings the whole look of the game down.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lies
    Rowr said:
    "Its not awful.

Its just not perfect.

put in some better lightsaber stuff, put another coat of polish on, and im fine with it.

get rid of that godawful font. I dont know whether its supposed to be the "star wars" font, but it brings the whole look of the game down.

"
    There ain't no more polish coming buddy. Game's out in three weeks.
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By zitosilva

Well, I'll wait to see some gamer's impressions of the full game once it's out.

But I was sorely disapointed with the demo. I really expected something great. Aside from some camera, targeting and controller issues I think this game has a potential of being another Assassin's Creed. Waaaaaay too repetitive if all we get is to play around with the force. I was bored with it in the middle of the demo, I don't dare think how the whole game will feel.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Demilich

I enjoyed aspects of the demo. That said, I think it was way too easy. Your enemies felt small and insignificant. I like them to have some sort of presence.

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Patchinko

Nice post. I don't have a lot of time (taking a break from writing a paper), but I'll address a couple of your points. The reason I'm bothering is because unlike you, I generally enjoyed the demo, and wasn't hyping it too much. I admit, I used to be a big Star Wars geek, but the newer trilogy kind of left me less than impressed story-wise, and I stopped reading Star Wars books quite a long time ago.

Also, bear with me as I try to answer a post on GiantBomb point for point... harder to do than it should be on this forum.

I should have seen this coming in all of the video coverage I'd see of the game, but I was blinded by how awesome I had imagined the game to be. While at face value, yes the things Haden Blackman raved about were in the game, but just like Assassin's Creed, there wasn't much else. They showed almost everything that could be done in the game with a clever presentation which made it look as if the possibilities were endless. It was exactly like how My Cousin Vinny explains the playing card looking like a brick.
    I guess... I mean, that's sort of what a demo is supposed to do. I want to be able to try just about everything, at least everything basic, in the demo to know if I'm going to like it. I don't want the first fifteen minutes, I want fifteen minutes in a sandbox where I get to play around. That's what I got, and I found it diverting enough to play through a couple of times.

The first problem starts as soon as the game is launched. The opening Lucasarts video isn't synced up to the audio. I played this video a few times too, and it didn't stop having issues. This shows such a lack of attention by the developers it is disturbing. The same problems occur with the ending montage, even the Xbox 360 'Jump In' thing was off. Then I tried to adjust the video and audio settings, as my TV usually needs the brightness turned up a bit for most games, and I wanted to turn off subtitles, so I press the button for OPTIONS.

Yes the OPTIONS screen has to LOAD! How could such a screen have ANY assets, graphical or otherwise, that require their own loading time? It's ridiculous. So I get there and there are no options besides brightness and a couple of audio settings. You can't even access the other ones until you start the game. This makes no sense, because if you want to have subtitles turned off for the first cutscene or do anything like that you can't. So I turn up the brightness (which, to make a longer story short, didn't even save and I had to adjust it again when I got into the game anyway.)

Yes, it loads both ways. This especially makes it a bitch when you accidentally press B and have to go to the menu and then back into the Options screen. So when I finally got to the opening cutscene, when Darth Vader activates his lightsaber the game hitches at the same part every time, stopping (thankfully) the video and audio, so at least everything stays synced up there. Speaking of audio, in this cutscene one really starts wishing that they didn't get Chad Vader to do a James Earl Jones impression. He starts off sounding alright, but it's easy to see through his ruse at the parts where he says "Critical Imperial shipyard" and "Kill everyone aboard, Imperials and Kota's men alike." I don't want to knock Chad, because he does an admirable job for someone trying to imitate one of the most iconic voices ever, but I don't think anyone could have done it perfectly but James himself. Another thing that rears its ugly head before the game proper even starts, the subtitles (which can't be turned off for this cutscene) are in the kind of Star Wars font that you'd download from a font website and is of the actual Star Wars logo. It's bulky and annoying to read, and when the cutscene ends and Juno Eclipse radios you, there's a wall of text with this stupid font, taking up like a third or half of the screen. Apparently nobody at Lucasarts learned how to write subtitles correctly.

The first problem you listed--the opening video--isn't a problem on the PS3 version that I played. In fact, I'll bring up right now that a lot of the more nit-pick-y things I'm reading from people about this demo seem to come from 360 players. I don't know what was in that extra 3-400MB of data that was in the PS3 version compared to the 360 version, but I suppose it could have been things like this. Sufficed to say, it's not a good sign for their cross-platform approach. From what I recall, the game was ultimately made to work equally on the Wii, PS3, and 360, and the technologically superior versions weren't getting their own development queue, but were ports. I could be wrong, please say so if I am. But that may explain this kid of thing.

The options screen loading situation I also didn't notice. When I paused, the screen came up immediately. Again, could be a version issue. They may have pushed for a simultaneous release on the demo with the 360 one not as complete. I have no idea. But I didn't notice this issue.

To the scene with Darth Vader, that common complaint about the scene skipping on the 360 again doesn't happen in the PS3 version. At this point, if I had to choose between the two, I'd pick PS3 based solely on this demo. (Then again, my choice is between Wii and PS3, so I have no idea... going to have to wait for reviews of the Wii version...)

As for Chad Vader. It was so Chad Vader. My lord, was it ever Chad Vader. I was laughing out loud.

And for the cut-scene text, I'm imaging that will be something one can turn on and off in the final game. My options menu didn't seem complete, at least. But time will tell. It's a fairly minor thing, like you said, in either case.

I do hope, however, the game itself lets us install it so we don't have to sit through the cutscenes every time it's loading a level.
    I think one thing that everyone noticed when this demo began was when the windows are shattered on the ship, the explosive decompression that follows isn't very satisfying. Even when a bunch of crates are in front of a broken window, only a few of them will decide to fly out. Second, the Apprentice can't jump out of the window (which makes sense) but he isn't affected by the air flying out either. He just stands there, breathing (which he really shouldn't be able to do until that blast shield closes) and does nothing. Also the droids in the game don't get sliced very satisfyingly either. It's not because of the way he slices them th same way every time, but because of the disappointment that follows when the blast door is forced open and humans can't share the same fate. They just take it, with huge (and unnecessary beacause almost everybody dies in about three hits) health bars over their heads, only showing scoring from the lightsaber when the game feels like it, but never letting themselves get cut into pieces. I suppose I could understand Lucasarts' logic behind this, but not in exactly the same way that everyone else assumes. I figure that if everyone's limbs were flying off left and right, the game would end up the same way the Godfather game ended up, way overly gory compared to the movies it came from. The Godfather film probably would have been as brutal as the game, but it didn't show the violence as much, so when the game showed everything behind the scenes, it looked way over the top. I think it would have been the same with this game. No one in a Star Wars film ever chops up that many humanoids, so if a player was to see thousands of humanoids being dismembered in this video game it would look repulsive, even if there was no blood.

Another thing I have a huge problem with is waiting right at the end of the first hallway in the TIE Fighter hangar. Why would a game with technology behind the scenes so advanced resort to including 'Unlimited Force Usage' or 'Extra Damage' powerups? Why would it have any powerups? It's the year 2008, Lucasarts, we're not running away from ghosts and eating pellets, we want some kind of depth in our games--or at least give the powerup some kind of veil behind Star Wars lure. I'm sure you could have thought of something if you actually put your minds to it. I wouldn't really have a problem with this, but this game was riding on its technology and how advanced it was for a Stormtrooper to think about grabbing onto something to not get pushed off a ledge or how wood splinters like real wood. It's trying to be realistic (within the context of the subject matter at least) so it's kind of stupid that they shoehorn these powerups in there.

Eh, you said the nit-picking was over, but a lot of this seems nit-picky to me. That said, however, it doesn't mean it doesn't matter. I basically agree with your points, and let me put it into perspective. If I saw this kind of inattention to detail in, say, Metal Gear Solid 4, I would be appalled. But, as this is a LucasArts game in the Star Wars setting, I didn't have expectations up where I do for a Metal Gear Solid game. Things like the Apprentice not reacting when the window explodes or not having a satisfying reason for why people aren't dying to a single light-saber stroke didn't bug me much because I didn't expect them from this game. BUT, if the devs wanted this game to be revolutionary, to be the second coming of Star Wars videogames, those kinds of attention to detail would have been in there. So yeah, it's nit-picking, but it's justified. But it wouldn't stop me from playing the game, either.

Oh, and word to the powerups thing. It's just lazy.

The lightsaber combat isn't very satisfying either. It's controlled by simple 'combos.' I know that a lot of games do this, but with the extremely visceral feeling one gets from using the Force in this game, this lightsaber swinging pales in comparison. I appreciate combining moves like infusing the lightsaber with lightning, and I understood that there are multiple combos depending on how many times the saber is swung, but how much better would it have been to have The Force Unleashed control like a faster version of Assassin's Creed? You would have to block all the blaster shots (instead of be able to get hit with like 15 shots before dying) and you could run while blocking, a feature conspicuously absent from the demo, which now forces the Apprentice to look like an idiot using the 'Force propel forward' move like a million times to get away from the AT-ST's fire. He could then press X while blocking to try to counter a blaster shot back to the guy who shot it. If he messed up a counter move it would just be a 'sloppy block' like in Assassin's Creed and he would lose health, but without actually being hit. Then when his health is gone, the next time he messes up a block he would be hit with a blaster shot and he'd die. When the apprentice was close he could do whatever combo he wanted to do, but with a more visceral feeling. It never feels like the Apprentice is paying attention to who he's slicing, like he doesn't know anybody's there. It just looks like he's flailing his saber about and people are falling down because of it. He never even impales people personally like Altair does, only when he's doing his lightsaber impale from afar.

They also missed the chance to do a few cool moves that Sith would be able to do, such as Force Choke. Perhaps this will be in the real game, but instead of L just flinging a guy straight up (which can already be done by flicking RS up) a player could hold it to choke the guy. Maybe you could feel his heartbeat with your controller like in The Godfather game or something. Jedi mind tricks would be cool too, maybe he could turn a guy (or an AT-ST) against his comrades. There are a lot of other powers that could be put to use, but I can't think of any others at the moment.

Also, and many people don't understand that this is what's happening, the targeting system for using Force Grip is relative to the Apprentice's position, and not relative to the camera's position. This means a player has to position the Apprentice exactly towards something to grab it, but most people just try to point the camera at whatever the thing is and cry when he picks up the wrong thing. This is a flaw with the game, however because if the player is pointing towards something there is no way for the game to tell the difference between two targeted things if they're vertically stacked. A camera pointing towards them would be able to though, so I don't know why they didn't implement the targeting system that way, or at least give the option to do it either way like DEAD RISING did for Frank's camera's controls (by that I mean his camera used for photography, not the game's camera). And why can't you repeatedly fling a guy into a wall, like in the target video for the game that was released with the game's announcement?

A couple of things in regards to your comments:

First, I don't get why everyone wants "run while blocking". Blocking makes Starkiller nearly invulnerable. There are enough barriers in the game that you don't need to block while running. Run behind a barrier, take care of the close enemies, move up behind the next barrier. That's the kind of game we're playing here. I disagree with the run while blocking complaint I keep seeing. It would make it far too easy, in my opinion.

Also, we did not get to experience everything the Apprentice gets to do nor every facet of the game in this demo, apparently. Reading the 1Up preview, it sounds like we missed out on quite a bit, which may help a lot with the things being complained about here (run while blocking, limited moveset, limited lightsaber fighting, etc.). Time (and reviews) will tell if the things that weren't in the demo make up for the problems people felt were in the demo. It does seem, based on videos and previews, that much of the fighting is combos of lightsaber and force, and that the focus in combat is on those combinations. And that's okay with me if there's enough variety and enough carrots of them throughout the game.

Last, and certainly not least is the weak boss battle against the AT-ST at the end of the demo. I know a lot of people speculate that this is not going to be in the real game, but whether it is or not is irrelevant. The problem still stands in that is how you have to kill an AT-ST in the game, and most likely all other bosses. The stupid 'weaken him by beating him with your lightsaber and other moves ad nauseum and then do a quicktime event' is so archaic it's laughable. God of War does it well, but in a setting where a player is under the impression that he can kill almost anything with his "Unleashed" Force powers, it's stupid to say that an AT-ST is a formidable foe. It explodes after tripping on a bunch of logs set up by Ewoks! You think it takes this much effort to destroy an AT-ST? A strong wind can blow one of those over! The stomp attack it does is stupid because it doesn't even make sense in this physics-based world the game sets up, and the 'two shot' attack is annoying, knocking the player yards back, and usually off the edge of the platform he's on. The ultimate frustration sets in when the player realizes just how useless the block move really is when the '20 blaster shots' attack can't even be escaped after a successful block because apparently it takes less time to reload than it takes for a Sith warrior to get off his ass and move out of the way. I could have thought of so many better ways to take care of an AT-ST in an Unleashed fashion it's not even funny. Not in a finisher, just right when you encounter him. In fact:
    • Target his legs and take them out from under him
    • Target his head and push him off the edge
    • Use the Force to bend the guns so when they tried to shoot they would explode
    • Use the Force to open the hatch where the Stormtroopers inside see from and pull them out, disabling it
    • Use your lightsaber (which can still cut through metal like a hot knife through butter in the game) and cut his legs off
    • Use your jughtsaber and cut it anywhere. It'd probably go down.
    • Use Force Lightning on the power source, overloading it and probably making it explode or something.
    • Jump on top of it and thrust your lightsaber into the top of its head like a Colossus

Those are just a couple of ideas I had that would be better than this generic miniboss encounter.

So many complaints about the AT-ST fight. I agree that it was a lame fight example. It was most definitely tacked on, and I couldn't see the AT-ST as an "end-boss" for a zone. But then again, it's probably more of a miniboss than anything.

Anyhow, when I first did it, I also had trouble. Mostly because the ATE didn't pop up for me and I just kept attacking the damn thing til I was dead. Second try I nailed it quite a bit, killed it's friends, then the ATE finally went off and I finished him.

We've known for a long time this game was going to have tons of ATE events. And that's fine. But what's not fine, in my opinion, is for the ATEs to be placed at the bottom of the screen so we can't even see the action! Very poor choice. If they insist on ATEs, which they did, they should have made them more dynamic, where we can choose which button to hit and the game tells us when to hit it by a screen effect or sound or SOMETHING other than random buttons at the bottom of the screen, and depending on our choice, we either damage it a lot or a little.

So yes, I agree generally with the complaint. I'll be disappointed if all the boss encounters turn out to be ATEs. And yeah, when Starkiller can pick up a TIE bomber without flinching but not flick an AT-ST off the edge of a platform with his pinky finger, something's up.

Anyway, I'm hoping the demo is just a taste, and not the whole package. I hope it turns out that this kind of zone is just a small part of what we encounter. We'll see. Jury's still out, and I'm still wondering if I'll get the Wii version, the PS3 version, or no version at all!

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#20  Edited By zityz

Thing that bugged me is why I couldn't deflect blaster shots back at the troopers?

I tried to time it and everything, he just blocks them away.

Oh well, does look good, but It will have to wait until the end of the year before I get it. I'll still buy it, my last favorite star wars game was Battlefront 2, the jedi and sith were a bit cheap, but still fun none the less.

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Patchinko
    zityz said:
    "Thing that bugged me is why I couldn't deflect blaster shots back at the troopers?

I tried to time it and everything, he just blocks them away.

Oh well, does look good, but It will have to wait until the end of the year before I get it. I'll still buy it, my last favorite star wars game was Battlefront 2, the jedi and sith were a bit cheap, but still fun none the less."
    Actually, a few of them will hit the opponents. I tried it at the end of one of the halls where three stormtroopers were attacking me, just moving around in the doorway, and every couple of shots, one would bounce back and hit him back. But it was for low damage.
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By Cube

Easy solution, I think.

Don't buy it.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mike
    Patchinko said:

Sufficed to say, it's not a good sign for their cross-platform approach. From what I recall, the game was ultimately made to work equally on the Wii, PS3, and 360, and the technologically superior versions weren't getting their own development queue, but were ports. I could be wrong, please say so if I am. But that may explain this kid of thing.
    The PS3 and 360 versions are supposed to be nearly identical and feature the same mechanics and physics engines...the Wii version is nowhere near that level though, it doesn't have the CPU horsepower to handle the physics calculations that the other next-gen consoles have.
    roofy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By roofy
    MB said:
    "I agree with you on virtually every point you made, and I could even add some of my own, but I won't.  I'm glad a demo was released for Force Unleashed...I'll rent it now."
    exact same thoughts
    Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Patchinko
    MB said:
    "Patchinko said:

Sufficed to say, it's not a good sign for their cross-platform approach. From what I recall, the game was ultimately made to work equally on the Wii, PS3, and 360, and the technologically superior versions weren't getting their own development queue, but were ports. I could be wrong, please say so if I am. But that may explain this kid of thing.
    The PS3 and 360 versions are supposed to be nearly identical and feature the same mechanics and physics engines...the Wii version is nowhere near that level though, it doesn't have the CPU horsepower to handle the physics calculations that the other next-gen consoles have.
    "
    Source? Or are you speculating that? I'm genuinely interested in the fundamental differences between the versions. I'm well aware the Wii's hardware is technically inferior, so speculating I've already done, but that doesn't give the actual answer.

Given what I saw of the physics in the demo, they appeared inferior to what could be done on the PS3 at this point, but may be that way because it's all that could be done on the Wii.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mike
    Patchinko said:
    Source? Or are you speculating that? I'm genuinely interested in the fundamental differences between the versions. I'm well aware the Wii's hardware is technically inferior, so speculating I've already done, but that doesn't give the actual answer.

Given what I saw of the physics in the demo, they appeared inferior to what could be done on the PS3 at this point, but may be that way because it's all that could be done on the Wii."
    Krome Studios developed it's own simple physics engine to replace Euphoria/DMM. The Wii just doesn't have the horsepower to run those engines.  I'm not exactly clear on whether or not the Wii version will feature Havok, or if the in-house engine covers the Havok end of things as well.  If I had to guess though, I'd say the Wii version is going to only be running the custom Krome physics engine and not DMM, Euphoria or Havok.

Lucasarts is putting a lot of focus on the current generation Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 consoles of this game, pouring a ton of resources into technologies that affect object physics and character behavior. These technologies are clearly processor hungry, and the Wii hardware doesn't quite have the right stuff to utilize the same elements. But Krome Studios, the Wii version's developer, has programmed its own physics engine to handle all of the game's Force powers. Objects bounce around the environment realistically, and downed enemies flail around with natural ragdoll motions…and though these elements aren't quite as elaborate as the higher end consoles, they're still pretty impressive to see on the Wii system.

adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By adam_grif

The game just seems really strange. On one hand, you have high level physics simulations, realistically shattering glass, splintering wood and bending metal, but then on the other you have a glowstick - I mean lightsaber that won't cut through people's limbs, powerups and shit like "infusing my lightsaber with lightning"?! The lightning was really stupid, IMO. Made me nerd rage. So on one hand it was very realistic, and on the other it was comic book worthy in it's realism. The two constrasting philosophies were very jarring in my opinion, and offset the "Feel" of the game.

I agree the AT-ST fight was retarded. Again, we have the contrasting design, even in this one fight. On the one hand, the boss has physics-defying stomp attack, explosive laser blasts and a health bar worthy of an Arcade game boss fight, but on the other, the QTE showed you clearly cutting that mofo in half with one swipe. This kind of "you're only powerful when you loose control of the character" moments drive me insane. One thing about God of War handling it's quick time events... it's not like this. Your sword swipes are still powerful in god of war, and you can ALWAYS kill the mini-bosses by ingoring the QTE and continuously slashing at them. Not so here. It apparently had some kind of magical force field that can only be overcome with timed button presses.

In addition, I thought the force powers effects were a bit over the top. I'm not talking in terms of power, I meant in terms of shit going on. Too many blurs and the like. It looked like force push should be incredibly powerful, but when you use it, it does barely any damage. The lightning does not last long enough by itself, and on the otherhand, is too powerful when combined with grip to throw and "make things explodey".

And oh god, the block. THE BLOCK. It looks totally badass when you are running and the aprentice deflects a glancing blow. It looks totally retarded when you stand still swiping in the same pattern over and over, blocking, but unable to move. I'm not asking to be able to RUN and block, I'm aksing to be able to MOVE and block. At all. Even a slow walk would be good, and would *really* add to the sense of bad-assness when you slowly walk up to a group of 10 storm troopers firing like mad at you, completely impenitrable, then unleash hot death onto them.

Except this is T for Teen violence, so the hot death would SUCK anyway.

Fuck.

Will rent.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mike
    adam_grif said:
    "The game just seems really strange. On one hand, you have high level physics simulations, realistically shattering glass, splintering wood and bending metal, but then on the other you have a glowstick - I mean lightsaber that won't cut through people's limbs, powerups and shit like "infusing my lightsaber with lightning"?! The lightning was really stupid, IMO. Made me nerd rage. So on one hand it was very realistic, and on the other it was comic book worthy in it's realism. The two constrasting philosophies were very jarring in my opinion, and offset the "Feel" of the game.

At least we get canned animations for lightsabers slicing droids in half.  Sigh.
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By atejas

....and this is honestly what I thought would happen when I heard it was being developed for.....6 consoles simaltaneously.
    Nice read.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mike

Man...I haven't been this disappointed by a demo since...well, ever.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It's basically what I expected. I didn't expect much though. I was satisfied with most of it except the quick time event... I didn't go to options or anything so I notice the loading problems. But it is just a demo, and load times could still change, but I doubt the QTE's will. Which annoys me because activating that QTE was annoying and I don't even know how I did it....

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Rowr
    Lies said:
    "Rowr said:
    "Its not awful.

Its just not perfect.

"
    There ain't no more polish coming buddy. Game's out in three weeks."
    often game developers polish stuff up to the end.

Either way, Its easy to recognize this isnt a Great game. But its entertaining enough. Accept it for what it clearly is and we will all move on.

Its unfortunate i was hoping for a great game when i heard good things about it early.
    We're moving in to the rollercoaster ride of great games coming from now to christmas, so one less game isnt that much of a dissapointment. Star Wars and quality havent been two things i generally put together in recent times. Aside from KOTOR and RC.
    vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

I thinkit's the kind of game where you need to be at least half-way through the game, so you are powerful enough for it to live up to the expectation.

There was this awesome video where he just crushed an AT-ST with the force, THAT is what the battle should have been like in the demo.

I also wrote a blog about it, here's a copy-paste of it:

So I downloaded it, which took about a half-hour I guess, and played, which took about 15-minutes. So what did I think? I'll tell you what I thought:

The controls aren't really as good as I hoped for. The "force move/choke/hold/throw"-thing was way too slow to control. Maybe it just takes practise, but when I was fighting that AT-ST in the end (Spoiler!), I was facing the other direction to get a thing to throw at it, but then I was facing the wrong way, and I had to move it slowly the other way, while getting shot at, eventually to find out that the damn AT-ST is to close for me to throw the thing at it. Ridiculous!

And it gets worse. Who the hell thought that Quick Time Events was a good idea? Yeah, it was cool in God of War and maybe it was a great thing in Fahrenheit, but I'm sick and tired of it. I had no idea what triggered it (in the SW:TFU demo), and when it began, I was so confused that I pushed the wrong buttons and eventually died. At last when I finally hit the right buttons and killed the damn thing, this cool animation of Starkiller cutting the robot in half was triggered, and all I could think was: I wish I could do that in the game. I want dismemberment and cutting big robots in half, but noooo... We can't do that, we're just silly game developers. I think that particular part was added in for the demo, but I guess it won't be the last time we'll see it in the game.

Whoever came up with the idea of putting QTE in every single game, is a dumbass who should be fired.

At the end of it all, I'm not really sure if I'm gonna play the game or not. Probably if it goes on sale. Now where the hell is that Jedi Knight remake that I keep demanding?

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Patchinko
    MB said:
    "Patchinko said:

Given what I saw of the physics in the demo, they appeared inferior to what could be done on the PS3 at this point, but may be that way because it's all that could be done on the Wii."
    Krome Studios developed it's own simple physics engine to replace Euphoria/DMM. The Wii just doesn't have the horsepower to run those engines.  I'm not exactly clear on whether or not the Wii version will feature Havok, or if the in-house engine covers the Havok end of things as well.  If I had to guess though, I'd say the Wii version is going to only be running the custom Krome physics engine and not DMM, Euphoria or Havok.

Lucasarts is putting a lot of focus on the current generation Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 consoles of this game, pouring a ton of resources into technologies that affect object physics and character behavior. These technologies are clearly processor hungry, and the Wii hardware doesn't quite have the right stuff to utilize the same elements. But Krome Studios, the Wii version's developer, has programmed its own physics engine to handle all of the game's Force powers. Objects bounce around the environment realistically, and downed enemies flail around with natural ragdoll motions…and though these elements aren't quite as elaborate as the higher end consoles, they're still pretty impressive to see on the Wii system.

"
    Great, thanks! That's interesting. It's kind of sad that the game, to me, wasn't taking full advantage of the PS3's and 360's abilities in regards to physics. There's no reason, given the three engines they used, things like the Apprentice not reacting to a window being broken out to the vacuum of space should be in there. It just seems lazy.

I'll be interested to see how that version does turn out, especially considering the control scheme is more interesting, to me at least, and the game has almost a "ho-hum" feeling on the PS3.
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lies
    Rowr said:
    "Lies said:
    "Rowr said:
    "Its not awful.

Its just not perfect.

"
    There ain't no more polish coming buddy. Game's out in three weeks."
    often game developers polish stuff up to the end.

Either way, Its easy to recognize this isnt a Great game. But its entertaining enough. Accept it for what it clearly is and we will all move on.

Its unfortunate i was hoping for a great game when i heard good things about it early.
    We're moving in to the rollercoaster ride of great games coming from now to christmas, so one less game isnt that much of a dissapointment. Star Wars and quality havent been two things i generally put together in recent times. Aside from KOTOR and RC."
    Not at this stage. They'll be pushing out bug fixes, but nothing gameplay related. The game has to go gold in a week or two in time for it to get shipped out to retailers in time for launch.

I dunno, I think the game has potential if we accept it for what it is and don't try and make it another Jedi Knight.
    HitNRun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By HitNRun

Post title = Epic Win

I agree with most of your points, and had a few  issues of my own. As others have mentioned, I'm extremely glad for this demo, because it's a packed holiday season and I really don't have the money to spend on "meh" games; this one looked like a must-buy until I got to play it.

SpikeDelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SpikeDelight
    HitNRun said:
    "Post title = Epic Win

I agree with most of your points, and had a few  issues of my own. As others have mentioned, I'm extremely glad for this demo, because it's a packed holiday season and I really don't have the money to spend on "meh" games; this one looked like a must-buy until I got to play it."
    Thank you. Somebody got the title. For that you just got a +1 good sir! But yeah I'm actually completely amazed that Lucasarts managed to make this game look so revolutionary without anyone realizing what it really was. This and Assassin's Creed are really the only games I remember that ever managed to pull that off.
    Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Patchinko
    HitNRun said:
    "Post title = Epic Win

I agree with most of your points, and had a few  issues of my own. As others have mentioned, I'm extremely glad for this demo, because it's a packed holiday season and I really don't have the money to spend on "meh" games; this one looked like a must-buy until I got to play it."
    That's true. I was considering earlier the sheer number of must-have games coming out the next few months and honestly don't mind having one less I want to play. Though I'd still rather this game be awesome, that's a silver lining of sorts.
    jondavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jondavis

Keep in mind, this is a DEMO. It's not a representation of the quality of the final product.

somesthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By somesthetic

I was never that psyched for the game to begin with, but I wasn't impressed by the demo just because the gameplay wasn't smooth.

it seemed to take too long to move between saber and force and getting between enemies. as someone who played through god of war I & II and heavenly sword and some of the devil may cry games it seems ridiculous that they couldn't do any better than they did.

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Lies
    JonDavis said:
    "Keep in mind, this is a DEMO. It's not a representation of the quality of the final product."
    Isn't that kinda the whole idea of a demo?
    zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By zitosilva

Oh yeah, one thing I just remembered. Did anyone else thought the AI was really reall stupid?

Even on the harder difficulty they don't really seem to care for their own lives (well, except when they are force grabed, then they care for it even AFTER they are dead...). At least on two rooms I had to do nothing but stand still and the enemys would shoot explosive crates that were just next to them, killing everyone nearby.

carzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By carzy
    SpikeDelight said:
    "BiggerBomb said:
    "Dude, that was awesome. I agree with you on every point and I'm really impressed on how elaborate and thorough your "vocalization" was. You even mentioned issues within the demo that retrospectively (after reading your article) I now notice, though were subliminal to me at the time. Mad props.

SpikeDelight said:

Good work.

/pats you on the back"

Thanks for the kind words. I guess I did kind of forget about KOTOR, although Republic Commando still stands as the best Galactic Civil War era Star Wars
    game out there. ;)"
    wasnt KOTOR made by bioware?
    Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Clean

I actually enjoyed it...

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#45  Edited By Jensonb

Hmm. Most of that stuff either didn't bother me or is stuff that will almost certainly be fixed in the final game.

But I agree about the boss. I really don't know why I can't just knock it over or off the ledge.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By TwoOneFive
    Lies said:
    "I thought the options screen having to load was hilarious. Really, just completely poor. However, I'm guessing the video probs were just the demo, they won't end up like that in the full game.

And the powerups are less of an annoyance to me, because it seems that Force Unleashed is going less the "immersive" route and is instead more focusing on being a game. Yeah, it's a bit cheesy, but whatever. Not a huge problem.

And they've said Apprentice never gets force choke. Which is really just like: "What the fuck?" since THEY ALREADY CODED IT FOR VADER (He has it in the tutorial level). That's just stupid to me, since there are only like four powers for the Apprentice in the whole game (Grip, push, lightning, and repulse).

QTE's suck.

So yeah, the demo was kinda less than I expected, buut I'm willing to let it slide a bit. I've got a weak spot for Star Wars, and this certainy looks better than the clone wars tripe they got coming. And I'm the kinda of Star Wars fan who knows about the Yuuzhan Vong, so I wouldn't entirely discount my opinion because I don't like Star Wars as much as you do ;)"
    this guy obviously never played madden, pitty you actually complained about a menu loading. 
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TwoOneFive

i couldnt disagree with you more. as soon as i read "the shattering window....wasn't satisfying enough, i got sick of what you were whining about. are you serious? i was like, WOAH thats cool as shit! when i saw that. and it sucked anything that wasn't super heavy out and the reason the appentice wouldnt fly out or could jump out is because when the windo shattered there was clearly a fore field that appeared slightly before the doors slammed shut. and since thats has nothing to do with the actually game, thats just awesome that they through in such a cool interactive feature that is meant to only occur in the midst of  combat to highten the intensity. like when mace's light sabre smashes the window when he's fighting darth sidius. 

the only complaits i had about this game was that the light sabre takes a back seat to the force (but thats the friggin title of the god damn game) and that you could control how exactly you wanted to use force on an enemy (like force choke, or subtle thing like just taking out his feet) its just WHAAMMMM MEGA FORCE IN YOU FACE right from the get-go. i hope the real game starts you out very basic with the force as you go and you only have those insane powers after a little playing time. but i doubt it, and thats okay, because its fucking fun. 

and i thought the "boss fight" was a little weak, but you know damn straight that it wasn't a fuckin boss fight, its just like in God of War when a bigger enemy comes a long you can trigger those cinematic sequences where you have to time button presses, boss fights are much grander and epic important.  (i think all of the boss fights are most likely going to just be against jedi, not big robots dude). 

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mike
    JonDavis said:
    "Keep in mind, this is a DEMO. It's not a representation of the quality of the final product."
    Which recent demos have had retail releases that were drastically improved over what was shown in the demo?
    Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Lies
    TwoOneFive said:
    "Lies said:
    "I thought the options screen having to load was hilarious. Really, just completely poor. However, I'm guessing the video probs were just the demo, they won't end up like that in the full game.

QTE's suck.

So yeah, the demo was kinda less than I expected, buut I'm willing to let it slide a bit. I've got a weak spot for Star Wars, and this certainy looks better than the clone wars tripe they got coming. And I'm the kinda of Star Wars fan who knows about the Yuuzhan Vong, so I wouldn't entirely discount my opinion because I don't like Star Wars as much as you do ;)"
    this guy obviously never played madden, pitty you actually complained about a menu loading. "
    Menu's shouldn't have to load. ESPECIALLY not in this day and age. Only time I've ever encountered loading on a Madden options screen was when I was loading up depth charts, but then again the last Madden I played was in 04. So I guess EA could be going backwards. I wouldn't put it beyond them.

Really though, an options menu having to load is completely inexcusable with the amount of power devs have at their fingertips today. It's not even a particularly involved menu, just a couple toggles and sensitivity sliders, but it still take 3-5 seconds to load on both entering and exiting the menus. That's just not right.
    jondavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By jondavis

Yo guys, I'm not saying that the final product will be drastically improved, I'm just quoting the bit that... I just checked and there's no bit that says anything about final quality that's usually found in the opening screens of the demo.

Carry on, then.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.