Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Dec 20, 2011

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a massively-multiplayer role-playing game set 300 years after the events of BioWare's Knights of the Old Republic series, but still approximately 3,600 years before the events of the films.

Is STWOR capable of becoming a real WoW=killer?

CoS_Ethan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CoS_Ethan

Bioware's ambitious game will come out this month, I don't know whether the game is worth playing or not, I didn't get the beta key. Now I am curious about "is STWOR a kick-ass title or just an ass-kicked one"?

No Caption Provided
    Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Cloudenvy

No, I really don't think it is.

mac_n_nina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mac_n_nina

I enjoyed the beta, but didn't really play it much due to their horrible test servers. I don't think any MMO can become a WoW killer. The fan base is too big and the number of addicts is too high. It's the Call of Duty of MMO.

CoS_Ethan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CoS_Ethan

@Cloudenvy: EA is good at screwing things up, Bioware is not Bioware anymore.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Marz

This is a tired subject.... There is no WoW killer... WoW will just die with age.... in terms of paid subscription mmo's SWTOR may be the last one because it just doesn't work anymore and Free2Play seems to be the new model for future games.

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Patman99

I liked SWTOR and will play it when it comes out but I think WoW has ascended beyond the point of a single game "killing" it. I think that WoW's popularity will slowly fade as newer games come out and its content starts to run out for end game players. I think that the only thing that might actually "kill" WoW is if Blizzard kills the servers after they release their new MMO.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Marz said:
    This is a tired subject.... There is no WoW killer... WoW will just die with age.... in terms of paid subscription mmo's SWTOR may be the last one because it just doesn't work anymore and Free2Play seems to be the new model for future games.
    Or if they allow you to buy end game gear with real money. 
    Lepuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lepuke

WoW is killing itself... Pandarens... pffft! please.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By tekmojo

@Marz said:

This is a tired subject.... There is no WoW killer... WoW will just die with age....

This. How do you kill that which has no life? I blame EA for any roadblocks down the road. Call it paranoia, but I foresee EA dropping the saber on this one. Luckily this game will have a nice launch, similar to Rift, and gradually gain and lose support along the way.

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By SlightConfuse

Wow has had as 7 year head start I don't know why every one tries to go for the king. Wow ans SWOTO are the last subscition based systems left and i can see WoW going free to play with the amount of microtransactions you can do in that game.

from what i ahe seen STWOR is a well made game game but the 15 dollar price tag might be too high. i dont know what number EA expects but id imagine after the free time is up they will drop

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jmrwacko

SWTOR will definitely steal a lot of subscriptions from WoW. My entire guild is switching to SWTOR, and I know a lot of others who are quitting WoW for SWTOR. I think SWTOR will end up stealing at least 2 million or so subscribers directly from WoW, but WoW will die on its own after Mists of Pandaria comes out and everyone realizes all the game has become is casual raiding, cookie-cutter specs, and Pokemon battles.

Anyone who has recently played WoW's new easy raid mode (Looking for Raid) knows that the game's on a downward spiral. When you can kill the last raid boss of an expansion in under 2 hours with a group of 24 other people you've never met just by autoattacking, something is wrong.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Animasta

the day that WoW goes free to play for all levels will be... frightening.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By Claude

@Animasta said:

the day that WoW goes free to play for all levels will be... frightening.

Did you say...FREE?

I've never played a MMO, so what do I know. No.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By CL60

@rebgav said:

Meanwhile, SWTOR will have an F2P option within 12-18 months.

I legitimately find it laughable so many think this. You realize the closest EA has gotten to making Warhammer Online F2P is the endless trial. And that's not F2P at all. If you people honestly think that EA would make SWTOR F2P and not make Warhammer F2P, I raise my hand, and put it on my face to you.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By fox01313

Star Wars Old Republic is going to be a better Star Wars themed MMO, the closest thing to a wow killing machine will be something like Diablo3 or people finally getting tired of paying for a subscription formed MMO.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BabyChooChoo

Ohnoez, WoW is teh ez

SWTOR won't do jack shit to WoW in my opinion, but that's just me. I believe it will do just fine, better than just fine in fact, but people who expecting it to be some monolith of an MMO are quite delusional IMO. Why? This was the exact same fucking thing that happened to Rift. People were laughing their asses off expecting WoW to quickly die off and now what? Rift has been forgotten and WoW is still crusin along. And sadly, SWTOR has enough similarities to WoW that it will ultimately do more harm than good.

To be honest, like someone else said, I think WoW will die with age, not because of another game. GW2, Archage, TERA, etc. I think all of those games will be fucking fantastic and will do great commercially. However, I don't think they, or anything else, will kill WoW. Whether those games came out or not, I'd fully expect people to slowly start dropping off WoW just because they're tired of it. There's nothing wrong with that though, that's just how it is.

The_Big_Rough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_Big_Rough

People will jump over for a month and then will rear end right back just like *Long List of Every MMO*.....

@jmrwacko:

Thats why there is normal and heroic for people that dont want to kill bosses only using auto attack.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By delta_ass

At this point... no, I don't think so. 

I think it had the potential to be one, but you have to improve on WoW and become better then WoW, not just be a clone of WoW. Toyota and the other Japanese car companies didn't win by copying the American car companies, they had to offer innovative and superior products.

sawtooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By sawtooth

no

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By IBurningStar

There is no such thing as a WoW killer. This whole scenario where a new MMO comes out and somehow kills WoW is ridiculous and I really wish people would just stop bringing it up. 

Do you know what I think is going to kill WoW? Time.  Just time.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Jayzilla

After playing beta for a bit now, I don't see how they can keep a sub model viable over the long term. It's a really fun game but it's basically 4 player for most of it like Borderlands. Last time I checked, Borderlands doesn't have a sub.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By toowalrus

No. Come on dude, no, don't be dumb- I don't think anyone expects it to kill WOW- I don't think the cross-over between star-wars geeks and mmo fans is anywhere near 10 million, anyway.

CJduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By CJduke

Why are so many people hating on SWTOR? It looks fun! Maybe I'm just way to biased for Star Wars, but I like what they are doing with it. And its made by bioware, and everyone loves to flip out about how great Mass Effect is (good games but I think they are overrated) so why so much hate?

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By landon

no

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#25  Edited By project343

As a massive supporter of this game, I'm going to say that it certainly isn't a "WoW killer." Instead, I'll say that WoW killed itself. Through old age, mostly. The genre is finally spreading out, away from one massive juggernaut.

Naturally, this means that people are leaving WoW for SWTOR. But don't expect SWTOR to be a reigning king of the genre.

Greatgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Greatgrey

No

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Simplexity

Nah, will be same old dance of the new hyped up wow killer selling really well at launch, then people start realizing that an MMO at launch is at best incomplete, and move back to wow or just quit.

We've been through this like 70000 billion times by now, I wish people would finally stop with that shit.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Three0neFive
    @CJduke: Where do you see people hating on it? Everything I've seen on the internet has just been a collective "Meh, it's another MMO."
    bio595

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bio595

fuck off anyone who uses the term 'X killer'

No, WoW is too big.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By AndrewB

It's moot to kill what is already on the eventual outs.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#31  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Wait, weren't you the guy trying to shill for some crappy F2P korean MMO a while back? It's almost like you have a marketing driven agenda or something.

Oh, and the answer is no. Because WoW will eventually die on its own.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Aren't MMOs on the whole kind of dying off?  Even WOW is forced to use dated Chuck Norris jokes to shill their game.  I think it will do moderately well. 

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DrPockets000

Doubtful. SWTOR will have its fanbase (which is arguably built-in since it's Star Wars) but I can't imagine any more than a very small percentage of WoW migrating over to play this instead.

That's not to deny the quality of SWTOR, of which I have no clue. I just think that there are going to be WoW diehards that will not stop playing it, especially if they have already put a lot of work into their character. Given what I've seen so far, I'm honestly curious as to whether SWTOR will be able to make a dent in the market of MMOs.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By Kazona

I think it'll do fine thanks to the Star Wars name being attached to it, and it seems quite polished, but it'd be a mistake if they go into this with the goal of beating Wow.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By probablytuna

No, but I will play The Old Republic regardless.

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Nephrahim

Ungh. Ungh.

For the love of god, can we please stop with the "WoW killers"? WoW is already DYING, but I don't see any game actually killing it.

makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37  Edited By makari

WoW-killer is such a silly goal and term.

But no, the majority of the MMO community unconsciously only plays MMOs other than their current one to say how relieved they are to not be playing it, then turn around and complain about everything in the new MMO as a subconscious excuse to return to a game they have played for years and have deeper ties to. The few that stay are thought to be hipsters that continue to delude themselves into thinking if they play an MMO with a small struggling community that they are a superior race to those who return to the big-name popular MMO, and the ones that go back are all immediately denounced as scrub kids who aren't good at video games, both of which have absolutely no bearing on the actual legitimate quality of either game. /stereotypes

SW:TOR is a perfectly fine MMO with a very specific subject-matter hook. It will live and die according to how many people that are into Star Wars enough to patiently make it through building a personal investment to a fledgling game as it grows and that are also fine with the fact that is a by-numbers stock MMO under all the really well-made 'forced lore' bells and whistles.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By NathHaw

Remember when Legend of Dragoon was a potential Final Fantasy killer? Remember when whatever shooter was the Halo killer? It's kinda like that. I have already pre-ordered the game and have signed up for the Giant Bomb guild Pasqual is organizing. You can check that thread here.

CoS_Ethan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By CoS_Ethan

@Lepuke:That's the point!

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Pinworm45

WoW is already dying. SWTOR is coming out at a great time - Christmas, for increased sales, when WoW is stagnant and many people are pissed and want something new. It will pull numbers from WoW.

But if you're asking, in 15 years when historians look back at what "killed WoW', will SWTOR be what they blame?

No.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.