Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Steam Sale dilemma: Bulletstorm or Alpha Protocol?

• 72 results
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By Geno

Haven't played Bulletstorm, but for what it's worth Alpha Protocol is a flawed gem.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

AP is amazing. Doing a playthrough of that game and picking the aggressive option every single time is one of the best things you'll ever do.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#53  Edited By falling_fast

alpha protocol is so much better than bulletstorm. no contest.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#54  Edited By ProfessorK

Alpha Protocol is complete trash gameplay wise. Yes It is very ambitious and original and deserves a follow up game, but it got to a point where it was so busted that I realized I could not finish the game as a stealth character without pulling my teeth out.

Bulletsorm is dumb fun, I'd buy that instead.

dr_ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By dr_ryan

I actually really liked Alpha Protocol. Go with that.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ProfessorK said:

Alpha Protocol is complete trash gameplay wise. Yes It is very ambitious and original and deserves a follow up game, but it got to a point where it was so busted that I realized I could not finish the game as a stealth character without pulling my teeth out.

I'm not sure how that's even possible to be honest ... stealth is so overpowered, you can end up just walking around without a care in the world, snapping necks, turning instantly invisible should anyone glance in your general direction. And the pistol's chain-shot attack thing is the single most powerful ability in the entire game.

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#57  Edited By Nentisys

Alpha Protocol for sure! Really enjoyed it. Just go with pistols so the broken combat is still broken but easy.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By killacam

it may be of note that all bulletstorm advocates (on the first page, anyway) use terrible spelling and/or grammar.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Jimbo

The combat isn't broken per se, it's just not supposed to be played like a typical TPS cover shooter (though they sure did a 'great' job of making it look like that). Once you understand how the mechanics work (particularly the aiming) and if you can accept that they aren't what you're used to, then the gameplay is fine imo. If you stubbornly try to force it to become something it isn't, then yeah I could see that being shitty.

I went Pistols and Shotguns mainly, with a little Stealth, but avoiding the apparently OP Stealth skills and I had a blast playing it. It was officially the fourth best game of 2010.

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By kpaadet

I have only played Bulletstorm, so I would say buy Alpha Protocol because Bulletstorm wasnt very good.

kumquat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By kumquat

This thread's reminded me that I've had AP installed for, like, ever. I need to play it.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#62  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@Soap said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

Alpha Protocol. Bulletstorm is fucking awful while Alpha Protocol is great, so, duh.

If you reverse this statement, you might be approaching a good idea. Alpha Protocol is a buggy boring game with broken game mechanics and Bulletstorm is a crazy FPS that is ok.

Now reverse that statement and you're really getting somewhere.

knetic2341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#63  Edited By knetic2341

I fucking LOVED both of them. Although AP kinda frustrated me, I still tell people to play it. Try and get both when they go on a super sale!

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#64  Edited By Soap

@GunslingerPanda said:

@Soap said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

Alpha Protocol. Bulletstorm is fucking awful while Alpha Protocol is great, so, duh.

If you reverse this statement, you might be approaching a good idea. Alpha Protocol is a buggy boring game with broken game mechanics and Bulletstorm is a crazy FPS that is ok.

Now reverse that statement and you're really getting somewhere.

But make sure you then reverse that statement just one more time and you've landed in fact-ville.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#65  Edited By zaccheus

I really liked both of those games... I think you are fine either way. Which do you want to play an RPG or an FPS? They are pretty damn different. I'd think about that.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#66  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Bulletstorm is pretty great, even if the story is a little moronic. It's good fun.

I have heard nothing good about alpha protocol.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#67  Edited By Undeadpool

@Fascismo: Bulletstorm plays better, Alpha Protocol has a better narrative/characters. Decide accordingly.

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#68  Edited By Lazyaza

The fuck kind of question is that? a mediocre broken rpg or a fucking balls to the wall insanely awesome shooter? No competition Bulletstorm all the way.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#69  Edited By evanbower

@killacam said:

it may be of note that all bulletstorm advocates (on the first page, anyway) use terrible spelling and/or grammar.

fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#70  Edited By fishmicmuffin

I played Alpha Protocol on the PC and I found it to be mostly bug free. The combat still blows... but go a stealth build and that is mostly dealt with. The story is a whole lot of fun. There's nothing groundbreaking about it, but it's genuinely funny.

Jrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Jrad

Alpha Protocol is the only choice. Bulletstorm is a shitty linear FPS, as if we need more of those. Would you rather shoot some guys in the dick or engage in one of the best interactive stories modern gaming has to offer (though admittedly, this is not saying much.)

The combat in AP isn't even that bad, assuming you play it like what it is: an RPG, not a shooter. I'd love to see some of the people who hate AP's combat try to play something like Vampire: The Masquerade. Roll stealth and pistols (you're a goddamn spy, this is the only option) and you'll have a blast.

I'm probably biased; I played 10 minutes of Bulletstorm and about 30 hours of AP, but there you go.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Bulletstorm is a good game, Alpha Protocol is a bad game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.