What's your Steam Game of the Year?

• 72 results
#1 Posted by aStagnantSleep (40 posts) -

At the very least, what are your favorite games released this year that are available on Steam? I'm interested in seeing what everyone's into, since I'm quite new to Steam and would love to play some new titles.

#2 Posted by Fear_the_Booboo (587 posts) -

Mine's Kentucky Route Zero. Before buying it though, know that it is not finished (two episodes out of five) and might never be. It's pretty weird/artsy too.

#3 Posted by shrinerr (142 posts) -

Enemy Within, been playing it almost nonstop since it came out. On my third straight I:I run through.

#4 Posted by Random45 (1287 posts) -

Tomb Raider is the one that pops in my mind. That game was a lot of fun, though I wasn't too fond of the collectible hunting aspect of it. That's a trend in modern AAA games that I wish would just die.

#5 Posted by aStagnantSleep (40 posts) -

@random45: Tomb Raider was really entertaining, I would definitely +1 that even though the collectible hunting was kind of too easy...and tedious.

#6 Posted by wewantsthering (1594 posts) -

Bioshock Infinite

#7 Posted by Capum15 (5002 posts) -

Saints Row 4. Purest form of fun I had in a long time.

And while not on Steam, then Pokemon X came out and that was another pure form of fun.

#8 Edited by AlexW00d (6448 posts) -

Dota, Democracy 3, Gunpoint.

There's 3 of my favourite games this year.

#9 Posted by ShaggyDude (146 posts) -

State of Decay and Starbound are my 2 favorites to come out on Steam this year.

As for Steam games that have been around for awhile that I still play:

FTL - is about to get a free expansion coming in 2014.

Spelunky - I was a skeptic of rogue-likes for a long time, and especially Spelunky, until this year. Now I'm doing the "Daily Challenge" as often as I can.

Dark Souls - By now, you probably know if you're up for this game or not. The art in Dark Souls is great and the man behind the Dark Souls Fix or DSFix is putting in work to help everyone see it at the highest resolutions. I think he's doing a similar fix for Deadly Premonition now.

Skyrim - I still enjoy modding Skyrim to get it looking like this:

#10 Posted by BigJeffrey (5111 posts) -

gone home

#11 Edited by Elyk247 (371 posts) -

Gotta be The Stanley Parable. I'm really liking Papers, Please too.

#12 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

It's hard to choose between Amnesia and Bit.Trip.

#13 Posted by cloudymusic (1234 posts) -

Does the Terraria 1.2 update count? No? Well, too bad.

#14 Posted by DonutFever (3540 posts) -

Anything: BioShock Infinite

PC Exclusives: Outlast

#15 Posted by crithon (3456 posts) -

Steam Trading cards, it's a whole new gamification of profiles, wallpapers and emoticons. I wish I was joking, it's kinda addictive, and then I get a coupon and go "WOW! 90% off of Faerie Solitaire?" And then just leaving 100 game on to collect more trading cards. It's a terrible habbit.

But yeah, there's odd things you can do with steam that's not just the games, because at some point EVERYTHING was released on steam except Mario and Last of Us. Guacamelee is easily my game of the year, and that's PS3, Vita and Steam.

#16 Posted by Vuud (2035 posts) -

Tough choice between Metro Last Light and Arma 3.

#17 Posted by Hells (69 posts) -

Spelunky. That game is so damn good.

#18 Posted by Animasta (14728 posts) -

Steam GOTY: Europa Universalis 4

Overall GOTY: Europa Universalis 4

#19 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (6006 posts) -

Bioshock Infinite. I preordered the game on 360, but I couldn't wait and just bought it off steam. I regret nothing.

#20 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4830 posts) -

Sanctum 2. Preordered it on a whim because I sorta kinda liked the first game. I ended up sinking almost 60 hours into 2 and I'm not even close to being tired of it. I'm not even really into tower defense or FPSes, but this game really struck a chord with me for some reason. I ended up buying the season pass at full price too which I think is the first time I've ever done that for any game. It was only like $12, but if it were any other game, I'd wait for steam. I finished this and immediately bought it because I didn't want to wait and I felt like the developers earned every fucking cent of my money.

I would give it to DotA2 considering it was technically released this year, but I've been playing it for what? Almost 3 years now or something?

#21 Posted by spankingaddict (2740 posts) -

The Swapper

#22 Posted by DeadpanCakes (1065 posts) -

Stanley Parable

#23 Posted by Random45 (1287 posts) -

@vuud said:

Tough choice between Metro Last Light and Arma 3.

OH! I forgot about Metro Last Light again! Damn, that game didn't leave an impression on me at all, but it was a good game!

#24 Edited by RonGalaxy (3270 posts) -

Since it came out this year on steam, Fez.

#25 Posted by megalowho (980 posts) -

One more for The Stanley Parable.

#26 Posted by BRich (440 posts) -

Rogue Legacy. Not even close.

#27 Posted by TheMathlete (326 posts) -

Of what came out this year, I've only gotten Papers, Please and the Typing of the Dead: Overkill... so Papers, Please I guess.

#28 Edited by SaturdayNightSpecials (2446 posts) -

Same as my for-reals game of the year, Antichamber.

I have yet to play Saints Row 4, but that's looking like a second- or third-place as far as PC stuff goes. It might bump The Swapper, but probably not Rogue Legacy.

#29 Posted by fisk0 (4511 posts) -

I guess I've been too busy expanding my Steam library to play a lot of it, but I guess I've had fun with Battle Worlds: Kronos and Metal Drift, though the latter was released in 2009.

#30 Posted by laserguy (455 posts) -

I only have bioshock in my account, so bioshock is my favorite steam game this year.

#31 Posted by Timoti87 (6 posts) -

Wolf Among Us

#32 Posted by Crembaw (532 posts) -

X Rebirth, for being the game that took the most of my time trying to coax a refund for a broken-ass game that won't start out of Steam.

Alternatively, Metro: Last Light, one of my favorite games this year.

#33 Posted by Stonyman65 (2873 posts) -

Tomb Raider and Saints Row IV.

#34 Posted by PhantomGardener (471 posts) -

Rogue Legacy.

#35 Posted by StudsMcKewl (79 posts) -

Bioshock Infinite. If it's a PC exclusive game on Steam, then probably Gone Home.

#36 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2295 posts) -

Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite as those games were fun and looked even better on PC than the console counterparts.

#37 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3508 posts) -

Am I the only one who finds the idea of a "Steam Game" super weird?

Shouldn't that be limited to Steam Exclusives like Dota 2?

Anyways, I have a terrifying number of hours in FTL, especially considering how often I die.

#38 Posted by aStagnantSleep (40 posts) -

@geraltitude: I thought about it as I was creating to topic, but then there wouldn't be as many different opinions as seen above. It's interesting to see people choose games that were on consoles as well, I just wanted to know their specific reason(s) behind such choices.

Right now, I'm enjoying Antichamber quite alot, as well as Rogue Legacy while occasionally playing some backlogged games (Stacking, Fez, Monaco, They Bleed Pixels, Thomas Was Alone)

Antichamber is definitely frustrating but it's pay-off is grand. I'd definitely nominate it for GOTY so far, even before finishing it.

#39 Edited by Kyelb22 (294 posts) -

If we're talking a game exclusive to Steam, then I'd have to go with Dota 2 for sure. But if we're including multiplatform games that I happened to play on Steam, then it's Bioshock Infinite. That game managed to exceed all of my expectations going in, and I think it far surpasses the original, which was one of my favorite games of all time.

#40 Posted by alwaysbebombing (1652 posts) -

@alexw00d said:

Dota, Democracy 3, Gunpoint.

There's 3 of my favourite games this year.

Is Democracy 3 good? I absolutely love Political Simulators and I played D2 to death.

#41 Posted by BeachThunder (12438 posts) -
#42 Posted by geirr (2715 posts) -

If it's exclusives this year, and with my short memory, I'd say Starbound Beta.

#43 Posted by Belegorm (677 posts) -

Europa Universalis IV. I haven't played it in a while but that game was positively awesome.

#44 Posted by Xshinobi (404 posts) -

Tomb Raider.

#45 Posted by flasaltine (1711 posts) -

Dota 2

#46 Posted by Dalai (7074 posts) -

Kentucky Route Zero, Rogue Legacy, Bioshock Infinite, The Stanley Parable and Guacamelee make up the 5 best 2013 games I've played on Steam (in no particular order) and yet I'm behind on some others that are pretty good like Gunpoint, The Swapper and Starbound.

#47 Edited by Krataur (410 posts) -

Civ V Brave New World

#48 Posted by NinetySevenA (50 posts) -

Blood dragon. I had so much fun playing that game. This game is what action movies from the 80s are all about. Dumb shit. So it's great to relive 10 year old me's fantasy.

#49 Posted by aStagnantSleep (40 posts) -

So far I see alot of Stanley Parable, Dota 2 and Tomb Raider votes. Very interesting. I really look forward to see if any of these games make it through GB's list. DOTA 2 is definitely gonna be a tough push for Brad.

#50 Posted by spraynardtatum (3728 posts) -

1. The Stanley Parable

2. Bioshock Infinite

3. The Swapper

4. Antichamber

5. Don't Starve

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.