Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

Ask me anything about SF4!

• 424 results
    Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#201  Edited By Thrawn1

how do you pow?

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#202  Edited By lordofultima
    @Thrawn said:
    " how do you pow? "
    (pow) (pow) (pow)
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#203  Edited By demontium
    @haunts: IM watching :D
    Skye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#204  Edited By Skye

Thought I’d post here instead of making a thread, anyone can answer though, this question isn't exclusively for Haunts. Anyway, I just started playing, and main Abel. I don't think I’m doing too badly, but I was just playing Staticfalconar and ended up relying on my sweep quite a bit, mainly because I have trouble connecting with a lot of other stuff. Having trouble with combo's/cancelling as well, stuck about half way through the third set or normal challenges, and struggle to pull them off in a match. Finally, I was getting buttfucked by Dhalism, struggled to get in on him, eat way too many fireballs and long bendy limbs. Just wondering if anyone had any tips, combos or moves worth trying out, besides obviously practicing.

Edit: Probably going to switch to Balrog so some of this won't apply anymore.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#205  Edited By Stang

So I just had a first to ten with Mr SNK, and well, fuck. He beat me 10-6, and I learned I do not understand the Ken/Honda matchup very well. Any tips for how to approach a high level Honda after knock down? I can't jump in, that ='s headbutt. Kara throw = another headbutt. Is my only option to run the hell away and throw fireball's?

And a special fuck you goes to his pokes.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By gamefreak9

Hey Haunts, im kinda new to this whole thing but you got any advice on how to play a good Zangief, and also how do you absorb ranged attacks? ive seen you do it in some of your games and i have no idea how to do that

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By Stang
    @gamefreak9: Who do you use? And use focus to absorb attacks, you know mp+mk.
    AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By AniMoney
    @lordofultima said:
    " @Thrawn said:
    " how do you pow? "
    (pow) (pow) (pow) "
    Blue's clues? 

@Stang: crossups? idk if honda can auto correct headbutt those, if he can't I would just keep doing it lol
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By Stang
    @AniMoney: Ex headbutt auto corrected damn near every time :(
    AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By AniMoney
    @Stang: Safe(empty) jump so he wastes meter. Idk why don't you just ask him how you can pressure better?
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By Stang
    @AniMoney said:

" @Stang: Safe(empty) jump so he wastes meter. Idk why don't you just ask him how you can pressure better? "

Honestly, I was far too interested in asking him about his tournament experiences to ask him how I could suck less :p Maybe next time! Thanks for the safe jump tip, but I am looking for new ways to apply pressure. Getting close to him while standing is a royal pain in the ass, he knows his normals far too well. 

He did point out I abuse step kicks too much, but what Ken doesn't? 

The bold bug still lives i see.
    SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#212  Edited By SpecialBuddy
    @Stang said:
    " So I just had a first to ten with Mr SNK, and well, fuck. He beat me 10-6, and I learned I do not understand the Ken/Honda matchup very well. Any tips for how to approach a high level Honda after knock down? I can't jump in, that ='s headbutt. Kara throw = another headbutt. Is my only option to run the hell away and throw fireball's?  And a special fuck you goes to his pokes. "
    Welcome to the "Fuck Honda Club". You can be my vice president cause I doubt you hate him as much as I do.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213  Edited By lordofultima
    @SpecialBuddy said:
    " @Stang said:
    " So I just had a first to ten with Mr SNK, and well, fuck. He beat me 10-6, and I learned I do not understand the Ken/Honda matchup very well. Any tips for how to approach a high level Honda after knock down? I can't jump in, that ='s headbutt. Kara throw = another headbutt. Is my only option to run the hell away and throw fireball's?  And a special fuck you goes to his pokes. "
    Welcome to the "Fuck Honda Club". You can be my vice president cause I doubt you hate him as much as I do. "
    You switch to Gief? If you start doing good with him, I taught you everything you know. REMEMBER THAT.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By Stang
    @SpecialBuddy: Sweet, are there any perks for being a member of this elite club? Do I get a bumper sticker or something?
    SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By SpecialBuddy
    @lordofultima said:

" @SpecialBuddy said:

" @Stang said:
    Welcome to the "Fuck Honda Club". You can be my vice president cause I doubt you hate him as much as I do. "
    You switch to Gief? If you start doing good with him, I taught you everything you know. REMEMBER THAT. "
    I'm messing with Gief and Viper really hard right now. I'm just better with Gief at the moment. And if I remember right I'm pretty sure I was playing with Gief before you so I taught you everything you know sucka!

No Caption Provided
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216  Edited By lordofultima
    @SpecialBuddy: YOU DID NOT JUST POW ME. Only when there's a round-finishing ultra combo man! BANNED. 

(woof)
    (woof)
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By demontium
    @lordofultima: WTF???  

fine, I combat your unrelated picture with an equally unrelated pic! 

edit: removed
    AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By AniMoney
    @demontium: It's sort of an inside joke from ustream. YJDK
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By demontium
    @AniMoney: Ok, 2 imgs is img spamming.... lemme write that down for future reference.... 

GTFO jamal.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By lordofultima
    @demontium said:
    " @AniMoney: Ok, 2 imgs is img spamming.... lemme write that down for future reference....  GTFO jamal. "
    Unrelated image spamming will NOT be tolerated. Mine was completely topical.
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By demontium
    @lordofultima: Woof?
    Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By Plasma
    @demontium said:

" @lordofultima: Woof? "

YJDK! 
     (4chan)
     (4chan)

EDIT: I knew I came here for something, Haunts what do you think Abel should do for anti-airs? I usually roll away, standing forward, or cr. fierce, but they all suck really :P Also do you think Dudley will translate well into SSFIV?
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By demontium
    @Plasma: watch you won't get edited.... just watch...
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By lordofultima
    @demontium said:
    " @Plasma: watch you won't get edited.... just watch... "
    Well of course he won't, that image is on topic.
    haunts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225  Edited By haunts

A little behind on answering questions --crazy ass weekend. Ill catch up with everyone tomorrow.

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By Thrawn1
    @haunts said:
    " A little behind on answering questions --crazy ass weekend. Ill catch up with everyone tomorrow. "
    yeah lots of good streams over the last few days
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#227  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Thrawn said:
    " @haunts said:
    " A little behind on answering questions --crazy ass weekend. Ill catch up with everyone tomorrow. "
    yeah lots of good streams over the last few days "
    That and haunts was probably in those tournaments
    baelrrogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#228  Edited By baelrrogg
    @haunts:  I have a question as well... In an earlier post you mentioned that a Honda spamming random headbutts was disrespectful play. Can you elaborate and define  "disrespectful" play. I am fairly new to the SF scene and as it stands, I do whatever is necessary to win even if my play style will piss ppl off. (spamming TS seems to piss ppl off when they have trouble dealing with it). 

Thanks
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By napalm

I think a Honda spamming headbutts is in the same category as a Ken who mashes srks, a Ryu who spams fireballs, and a Sagat who spams Tiger Shots - it certainly "works" (whatever that's worth), but it quickly becomes annoying, and it undermines your opponent's skill, which is just disrespectful. This is how I perceive the comment, and what I think about it.

I also think Ultima made a great point some time ago, where he said something along the lines of it's hard to fuck with the mind of your opponent (in the meta game), when they have no idea that a meta game is being played on them. A meta game can only exist if both players understand it and play it. It's part of playing smart, using viable tactics and outsmarting your opponents. I think move spamming incessantly doesn't fall into this category.

baelrrogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By baelrrogg
    @Napalm:  I agree that it does not equate to mind games or skill  when spamming TS but I am playing to win. But my question I guess would be : "If these TS continue to land and inflict damage why would I relent as a consideration for my opponent's lack of defense?...As another example, would you stop tick throwing if you succeed every time? "

Edit : BTW only low level players usually fall for that anyways...Anyone G2 and up usually work their way around it.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By napalm
    @baelrrogg: Well, you shouldn't, but if you go to a tournament and attempt that and it doesn't work and you have absolutely no other defenses to shut down your opponent, then that is going to look terrible on you and make you look "scrubby". For me, fighting a Sagat on the meta game level is part of the game, and figuring out ways to get past the s.FK when I jump over a Tiger Shot is part of the game because I know it's something I will have to deal with regardless. However, if I manage to get on the inside of a Sagat and they end up tossing me back on the other side, or prove they can do more than spam Tiger Shots, then I have a new found respect for that player. If they don't, or they end up spamming Tiger Uppercuts, then I die a little inside.
    baelrrogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By baelrrogg
    @Napalm: I agree completely...I am not talking about spamming TS regardless of situation. I usually throw them out there when at safe distance or to try and bait a jump in. I will usually wait and see how an opponent deals with the TS before spamming them. If he jumps over or starts making ground towards me, I will try to bait him or prepare for  close range pressure. I tend to like having my opponents away from me as a Sagat player, so I will usually try to land a EX TS or TK to push them back and start over.  I am still learning the specifics of some matchups however and still get caught with some things i didn't expect (took me a while to remember Gouken's horizontal DP can go through TS)

But the situation I'm alluding to is if I send that first or second TS and all he does is crouch block, focus or take it to the face, why would I change my attack? 

In a matchup with Rufus for example, the last place I want him is close to me. I have played a lot of Rufuses (<- I know its not a word) and the good ones manage to close the gap. But if I can keep a Rufus player at bay with TS why not?
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By napalm
    @baelrrogg: I guess this is just the inherent problem with Street Fighter IV for some people. Closing the gap can be tough, but it's a good exercise in timing to be able to get over Tiger Shots effectively. For me, I usually wait until the third or fourth Tiger Shot to make a move because I want to see the pattern my opponent is throwing them before I attempt an offense. Some people may just want to read your Tiger Shot tendency to make a better offense, while some people may just have no idea of how to get past them.

But honestly, anybody with half a brain wouldn't eat two, or even three Tiger Shots and not try to do something about it. If you're fighting people who constantly eat Tiger Shots, you really should play better people.
    baelrrogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By baelrrogg
    @Napalm said:
    If you're fighting people who constantly eat Tiger Shots, you really should play better people. "
    Unfortunately, I don't control who the internet/tournament mode throws at me...lol  

Anyone I play with regularly had to learn to deal with it the moment I picked up Sagat and don't fall for anything that simple. 

The point to this question was to try and get a feel as to the general perception of these tactics. I have had so many hatemail on both XBLA and PSN from ppl who couldn't get over them.  This has caused a lot of negative "un-sportsman like" feedback on XBLA as well affecting my rep.
    gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By gamefreak9
    @Stang: Well i actually use Akuma, or Ryu, but yeah i know how to focus just dont understand how people can cancel it midway
    baelrrogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236  Edited By baelrrogg
    @gamefreak9: Dashing cancels the focus animation
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By Stang

Only thing disrespectful to me is mashers. They are basically saying "fuck you, you are going to miss your link." Add to the fact that the reversal window is huge in this game, it is bullshit.

I SHOULD NOT BE HIT WITH A MASHED ULTRA FOR MISSING A FUCKING JAB!!!!!!

AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By AniMoney
    @Stang: IF YOU MISS THE LINK I WILL PUNISH YOU 

Yeah though, the reversals in this game are too powerful, but you gotta play the game so if mashing works I would do it.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239  Edited By Stang
    @AniMoney: That is the thing with online. You can generally play like a retarded monkey and get away with it because your opponent is not next to you listening to you hit 5 million buttons per second. All these mashing assholes will get absolutely dominated in person. regardless, a missed jab should not get punished with 500 damage. That is just stupid.

But if you (not you Ani) are content with cheesy wins, by all means go ahead. Just remember, nobody thinks you have any skill at all when you win mashing. Looking at you JR.
    baelrrogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By baelrrogg
    @Stang:  You mean like this?  :p

thatpinguino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By thatpinguino  Moderator

Question, do you have any advice for using el fuerte?  I find that my mix ups work relatively well, except when my opponents start randomly jumping and throwing their best air normal.  Either that or they throw shoryu's whenever i get close and i have a hard time punishing.

haunts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By haunts
    @Stang said:

It's rare that i'll ever try to engage a Honda. Don't feel like you have to apply pressure on wake up to characters like honda and blanka. Just keep them coming to you and have them  take damage in the process.  

@PantyshotMQN
    said: 

" K, new question. This one is about timing.  Ive heard about the "health bar" trick. Now ive read numerous pages on this and i still cant figure it out. What exactly am i looking for and where exactly do i input the next command to string a combo more efficiently. Cus to be honest, i have a hard time still stringing combos.  I also want to utilize Cammy's "Cannon Strike" shortcut to string some powerful combos. Like the combo video that just came out a couple of days ago. "

Generally speaking, and keep in mind this is coming from someone who has played for a while -- dont try to look for shortcuts when it comes to combos and stuff like that. Yes there are methods like plinking and whatever else but in the long run it's just better to hit training mode and do it over and over and over until it is second nature. If you rely too much on anything besides natural instinct you'll lose sight over the over all goal of just winning the match. 

@harris said:

"  I suck at fighting games. I've always loved button mashing with other newbie friends and pretending to know what we're doing, but I'd like to take it up a notch. I know the key to getting better is mostly practicing, and am willing to do that. From what I've seen, it seems that you have to specialize in a certain character to get better. Is that true, and if so what's a good character to start learning with?  Thanks in advance for any advice! "

I am a firm believer of picking a character and sticking with them through thick and thin but that is just me. I say start off with Ryu or Balrog.   

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243  Edited By demontium
    @lordofultima said:
    " @demontium said:
    " @Plasma: watch you won't get edited.... just watch... "
    Well of course he won't, that image is on topic. "
    AYS?! 

How?!
    DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By DirrtyNinja

So, why did capcom think having one frame links in this game would be a good idea. Would love to main Fei but damn its so frustrating.

Plasma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245  Edited By Plasma
    @DirrtyNinja said:
    So, why did capcom think having one frame links in this game would be a good idea. Would love to main Fei but damn its so frustrating.  

Yeah, that's exactly what this game needs, more compromises for new players! /Sarcasm
    AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By AniMoney
    @Plasma said:
    " @DirrtyNinja said:
     Yeah, that's exactly what this game needs, more compromises for new players! /Sarcasm "
    You're kidding right? One frame links are stupid, it's just an execution barrier preventing people from playing the actual game. Combos are strictly a single-player experience, it's getting in a position to land them that's the multiplayer part, and that's what most people play street fighter for. If I wanted to test my mad execution or something I'd play guitar hero.
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By trophyhunter

what does the E stand for in E Honda and the M in M bison.

AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By AniMoney
    @trophyhunter said:
    " what does the E stand for in E Honda? "
    Edmond
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249  Edited By trophyhunter
    @AniMoney said:

" @trophyhunter said:

Edmond "
    really that sound strange how about  the M in M bison?
    AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By AniMoney
    @trophyhunter said:
    " @AniMoney said:

" @trophyhunter said:

Edmond "
    really that sound strange how about  the M in M bison? "
    Well M.Bison in Japan is actually the boxer, who is a parody of Mike Tyson, and the name is obviously a parody of that too. But in American they had to switch the names around to avoid a suit from Tyson or something. 

So the Boxer in America is Balrog, but in Japan he's M.Bison. 
    The dictator in America is M.Bison, and in Japan he's Vega. 
    The claw character in America is Vega, and in Japan he's Balrog.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.