whats up with IGN??

  • 54 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

IGN AU says this game is an 8 out 10
IGN UK says this game is an 6 out 10
what the hell? one side of IGN say this game is good and the other says it's bad

#2 Posted by L33tfella_H (901 posts) -

different reviewers have differing opinions.

#3 Posted by Yummylee (21750 posts) -

Who cares, tis getting it anyway >8)
#4 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

Different reviewers?

#5 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -
@L33tfella_H said:
" different reviewers have differing opinions. "
yeah but they are both IGN so I would think that most of IGN would agree on a review before put it up
#6 Edited by L33tfella_H (901 posts) -
@trophyhunter: as i said, they are different reviewers for different editions of IGN. you don't always see PC GAMER UK and PC GAMER US give the same score for the same games..because they both count as separate publications.
#7 Posted by TheKidNixon (1564 posts) -
@Br3adfan said:
" Different reviewers? "
This is pretty much the beginning and ending of this. Review scores are reflection of the single reviewers opinion of the game; publications aren't hive-minds that uniformly agree across the board.  This is why EGM used to have three review scores, so you got as many different perspectives as the printed page would allow.
#8 Posted by trophyhunter (5800 posts) -

well my problem is that IGN say this game is good or bad it's not helpful 

#9 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4896 posts) -

Are you serious? It's the same as looking at Jeff's review of game X and then looking to some Japanese person's review of game X. 
 
2 people. 2 opinions. 2 scores.

#10 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" @L33tfella_H said:
" different reviewers have differing opinions. "
yeah but they are both IGN so I would think that most of IGN would agree on a review before put it up "
Why? Not everybody has the same opinion regardless of what site they work for :/
#11 Posted by Driadon (2998 posts) -
@TheKidNixon said:
" @Br3adfan said:
" Different reviewers? "
This is pretty much the beginning and ending of this. Review scores are reflection of the single reviewers opinion of the game; publications aren't hive-minds that uniformly agree across the board.  This is why EGM used to have three review scores, so you got as many different perspectives as the printed page would allow. "
I miss that. It was a much easier way of figuring out who liked what and why, to get an idea on a game. 
#12 Posted by HatKing (5973 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" @L33tfella_H said:
" different reviewers have differing opinions. "
yeah but they are both IGN so I would think that most of IGN would agree on a review before put it up "

I don't get this idea.  You think Jeff likes Resident Evil 5 as much as Brad?  No, but Jeff didn't stop the review from being posted because of this.  I'm sure their are tons of games that they don't agree on, but as long the review is well writen and informed then it isn't wrong.  I don't see any problem with IGN's reviews, in fact you should be thankful that a company is willing to put out two different opinions.  Just read the review and base you choice on that, not the stupid number.  This is why all reviewers hate having to give a score, people ignore what they write and get all flustered over that.
#13 Posted by CraigAA1028 (546 posts) -

IGN AU gave it 8.2 
IGN UK gave it a 6.8 
IGN US gave it 7.5 
 
Seems to average out to a solid game to me

#14 Posted by Captain_Insano (1541 posts) -

plus the UK hate the French 
 
p.s I'm just shit stirring you guys, I agree with everyone else, different reviewers, different opinions

#15 Posted by handlas (2684 posts) -

7.6 from gametrailers.
 
Not bad.  Too many references to Assassins Creed and Red Faction in their review tho imo but they seemed pretty forgiving of the controls.  Don't think it would bother me.  They showed some new footage that looked really awesome of you escaping out of an exploding Zeppelin.

#16 Posted by RaikohBlade (593 posts) -
@trophyhunter said:
" IGN AU says this game is an 8 out 10 IGN UK says this game is an 6 out 10 what the hell? one side of IGN say this game is good and the other says it's bad "
What? People have differing opinions? Madness!
#17 Posted by Dethfish (3670 posts) -

Australia is just excited that they finally got a game. Of course they're gonna give it a better score.

#18 Posted by CenturionCajun (1461 posts) -

I personally find it quite interesting to read reviews from the various segments of IGN. It gives you an idea of the differing tastes of European and Australian gamers and movie viewers. I remember when The Watchmen came out that the reviews were all over the place in a similar way. Strangely enough the US review tends to land somewhere in the middle of the two extremes. While those three scores range over a wide area of good they are still all positive. I'm going to be picking the game up simply because I like the concept and setting and I've always had a soft spot for Pandemic since the first Mercenaries.

#19 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -
@Captain_Insano said:
" plus the UK hate the French   p.s I'm just shit stirring you guys, I agree with everyone else, different reviewers, different opinions "
Ha! I've seen French Sailors and British Sailors together on a bus going to a brewery in Germany. My god did the British give the French guys hell after some beers. The British guys sat in the back of the bus and sang nasty songs about the French who sat in the front. I was in the US Navy at the time and sat in the middle... laughing my ass off. The Spanish Navy guys laughed too.
#20 Edited by Creamypies (4070 posts) -

Since when was a 6/10 bad?! There's a 2 point difference between them. In GB terms it's a 4 star and a 3 star...

#21 Posted by toast_burner (453 posts) -

The game is about an irish man in france helping the french. of course we brits are going to hate it! 
Just kidding :P
#22 Posted by Geno (6477 posts) -

Clearly IGN UK has higher standards for games. 

#23 Posted by day2daze (178 posts) -

yeah people need to stop shitting their pants when a game they're interested in gets a 6. that's not a bad score, read the words not the numbers and if it reinforces your interest then try it for yourself for christs sake. a 6 still means plenty of people will find it rewarding on a personal level, but it just can't be recommended to well.. people like me. who don't enjoy derivative shooters and pandemic in general.
  
in gamespots eyes 6 means fair, and i even have half an unfair mind to blame them for always over rating things. Giving a bad games a mediocre score when it should have a terrible one. It's why I like Dtoid. The spectrum does not and should not start with 6..and end at 9.

#24 Posted by Griddler (3344 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" Who cares, tis getting it anyway >8) "
'It is getting it anyway'?
#25 Posted by natetodamax (19208 posts) -

Different reviewers will have different opinions.

#26 Posted by Griddler (3344 posts) -
@Claude said:
" @Captain_Insano said:
" plus the UK hate the French   p.s I'm just shit stirring you guys, I agree with everyone else, different reviewers, different opinions "
Ha! I've seen French Sailors and British Sailors together on a bus going to a brewery in Germany. My god did the British give the French guys hell after some beers. The British guys sat in the back of the bus and sang nasty songs about the French who sat in the front. I was in the US Navy at the time and sat in the middle... laughing my ass off. The Spanish Navy guys laughed too. "
That's a brilliant story XD
#27 Posted by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

a review is an opinion.  Why can't people get that throught their heads?
 
It was reviewed by two different people who have different opinions.

#28 Posted by PeasForFees (2411 posts) -
@Geno said:
" Clearly IGN UK has higher standards for games.  "
Indeed
#29 Posted by Pinkshley1 (453 posts) -

Watch the quicklook. Then you will quickly see that the 6/10 is the right one.

#30 Posted by Yummylee (21750 posts) -
@girdz said:
" @Abyssfull said:
" Who cares, tis getting it anyway >8) "
'It is getting it anyway'? "

Its just slang, notta typo.
#31 Posted by Cameron (601 posts) -

The various IGN offices have nothing to do with each other, except San Fransisco and LA of course. They have completely separate editorial staffs.

#32 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Abyssfull said:
" @girdz said:
" @Abyssfull said:
" Who cares, tis getting it anyway >8) "
'It is getting it anyway'? "
Its just slang, notta typo. "
I think he is saying the slang translates back into "it is"
 
 Example:
"Tis the season = It's the season = It is the season"
#33 Posted by Systech (4078 posts) -

Britain and Australia are surprisingly not the same country, that's why.

#34 Edited by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -
@CL60 said:

" @Abyssfull said:

" @girdz said:
" @Abyssfull said:
" Who cares, tis getting it anyway >8) "
'It is getting it anyway'? "
Its just slang, notta typo. "
I think he is saying the slang translates back into "it is"   Example:"Tis the season = It's the season = It is the season" "
I think girdz means,  "what the hell are you talking about?  What is it getting?"
 
Oh, I think he means he himself is getting  the game.  That's my guess.
#35 Posted by Metal_Mills (3001 posts) -

I@Pinkshley1 said:

" Watch the quicklook. Then you will quickly see that the 6/10 is the right one. "
I dunno I thought it looked ok even if it is a bit janky in parts.
#36 Posted by pause422 (6190 posts) -
@L33tfella_H said:
" different reviewers have differing opinions. "
Exactly..I dont see how this is even questionable, its common sense.
#37 Posted by Yummylee (21750 posts) -
@ArchScabby said:
"@CL60 said:

" @Abyssfull said:

" @girdz said:
" @Abyssfull said:
" Who cares, tis getting it anyway >8) "
'It is getting it anyway'? "
Its just slang, notta typo. "
I think he is saying the slang translates back into "it is"   Example:"Tis the season = It's the season = It is the season" "
I think girdz means,  "what the hell are you talking about?  What is it getting?"  Oh, I think he means he himself is getting  the game.  That's my guess. "

Well i use it rather for ''is getting it''. Don't have a clue where i heard it, but thats just how I like to phrase it...again for some unknown reason.
#38 Posted by Giantsquirrel (601 posts) -

Reviews are opinions. 
 
It always bothers me when a person or a game's advertising campaign says "10/10 - IGN." It wasn't reviewed by IGN, it was reviewed by a person who works there. The inside of book flaps or the back of DVD cases don't typically say, "Chicago Sun Times gives Thumbs Up," they say, "Thumbs Up - Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun Times." The games industry and press need to grow up.

#39 Posted by Aaox (1657 posts) -
@CL60: I thought it was meant to be Irish stereotype based slang.  
Tis = Ti's =But I's = But I is = But I'm
#40 Posted by Aaox (1657 posts) -

Oh, we British are perfectionists, us. Pay us no mind.

#41 Posted by handlas (2684 posts) -
@Pinkshley1 said:
" Watch the quicklook. Then you will quickly see that the 6/10 is the right one. "
from the quicklook...eh?  One of the few quicklooks recently that I sat and watched the entire 30 minutes because I was entertained.  I'm guessing the game is a solid 7.5 or so.  Which is what IGN US, Gametrailers, and Gamespot gave it.
#42 Posted by ThePsychoGamer (77 posts) -

Wow it's almost like weather a game is good or not is a completely subjective mater and reviews are really a bad way to decide on getting games, one might say you should just get all games you you think sound interesting, play them and form you own opinion instead of having some over paid dick do it for you.

#43 Posted by AURON570 (1674 posts) -

useless topic. different people have different tastes end of story. reviewers are people. It's not like a group of people at IGN sit down and discuss how all of them feel about one game and let one person write the review. play what you want. if you're short on money do more research, rent it, or borrow it to see if its right for you before buying it.

#44 Posted by Korone (402 posts) -

The Australians are happy with any game that's allowed to enter their country. :V

#45 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -

I am getting this game no matter what so I dont care what others think.
#46 Posted by Yummylee (21750 posts) -
@handlas said:
" @Pinkshley1 said:
" Watch the quicklook. Then you will quickly see that the 6/10 is the right one. "
from the quicklook...eh?  One of the few quicklooks recently that I sat and watched the entire 30 minutes because I was entertained.  I'm guessing the game is a solid 7.5 or so.  Which is what IGN US, Gametrailers, and Gamespot gave it. "

Yah after playing through the first 5 hours or so, I;d say it suits the general consensus. Its fun and with a great art style but its a prime example of a ''jack of all trades, master of none'' since everything about feels either too sloppy or just too clunky to get any fun out of it.
#47 Posted by HT101 (1157 posts) -
@Dethfish77 said:
" Australia is just excited that they finally got a game. Of course they're gonna give it a better score. "
This is what it's all about.
#48 Posted by DystopiaX (5313 posts) -

the publication isn't one entity...different editions of the same thing.

#49 Posted by TheHBK (5488 posts) -

The brits hate the French and Irish, hence the score.  The game looks ok but it seems to play as a cheap GTA knock off, only set during world war 2.  The color change thing is neat and climbing and attracting attention is also great, but together, the game plays kinda clunky.  Yes its a sad story Pandemic went out of business, but you can see why, they were not great at their job.  Not for the kind of money they cost to operate.  They were better suited for crappy ass movie games or ports.  Look at the levitation jump!

#50 Posted by EpicSteve (6487 posts) -

Because two different human beings reviewed said game. I don't understand what confuses you, not to be an asshole.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.