Ryan vs. Vinny - Splinter Cell Bet

#1 Edited by zyn (2591 posts) -

Knuckles Dawson of Achievement Hunter just tweeted that Sam Fisher will get his goggles back in Splinter Cell: Conviction.  Here's the tweet.

What will happen to the bet?  Does Vinny win?  Or are they waiting for actual in-game footage?

#2 Posted by Everyones_A_Critic (6295 posts) -

So.....The plot thickens...

#3 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

They said on the Bombcast that the bet will be settled once the full retail game is out

#4 Posted by torus (1096 posts) -

Bet, who cares :P Goggles = awesome. Can't wait to play this :D

#5 Posted by Bucketdeth (8005 posts) -

I think Vinny may win this one, I think Ryan made the bet but didn't want to back down from his word, but you never know.

#6 Posted by Akeldama (4244 posts) -

what are the stakes again?

#7 Posted by Dethfish (3638 posts) -
@Akeldama: Just money, 50 bucks I think. It should of been something better like Dave and Jeff's bet.
#8 Posted by sdauz (430 posts) -

Those stakes sound boring....it should me much more creative....i cant think of anything creative sadly. Hmm but Vinny has this one in the pocket...I mean its a splinter cell game?!!

#9 Posted by Akeldama (4244 posts) -
@Dethfish77 said:
" @Akeldama: Just money, 50 bucks I think. It should of been something better like Dave and Jeff's bet. "
yea man that gin drinking video was one of my favs on the site.
#10 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

Uh-oh, bad news for Ryan. Honestly, he even saw his flaws later that there has to be some goggles in the new game, no matter what. This is almost confirming it; we have to wait for the real game to come out to officially settle it.

#11 Posted by Dethfish (3638 posts) -
@Akeldama said:
" @Dethfish77 said:
" @Akeldama: Just money, 50 bucks I think. It should of been something better like Dave and Jeff's bet. "
yea man that gin drinking video was one of my favs on the site. "
They need to have a video where Ryan (because we all know he's going to lose) either pays Vinny $50 or downs the whole bottle of gin. I think he could do it.
#12 Posted by punkxblaze (2968 posts) -

He just up and took a swig like it was nothing in the GinJeff vid, I doubt a whole bottle would kill him.

#13 Posted by Akeldama (4244 posts) -
@Dethfish77 said:
" @Akeldama said:
" @Dethfish77 said:
They need to have a video where Ryan (because we all know he's going to lose) either pays Vinny $50 or downs the whole bottle of gin. I think he could do it. "
dude, Yes. He needs to chug that all in one shot. 
#14 Posted by Dethfish (3638 posts) -
@Akeldama said:
" @Dethfish77 said:
" @Akeldama said:
" @Dethfish77 said:
They need to have a video where Ryan (because we all know he's going to lose) either pays Vinny $50 or downs the whole bottle of gin. I think he could do it. "
dude, Yes. He needs to chug that all in one shot.  "
That would be pretty bad ass, especially after seeing Jeff's reaction.
#15 Posted by Akeldama (4244 posts) -
@Dethfish77 said:
" @Akeldama said:
" @Dethfish77 said:
" @Akeldama said:
" @Dethfish77 said:
dude, Yes. He needs to chug that all in one shot.  "
That would be pretty bad ass, especially after seeing Jeff's reaction. "
i cant blame Jeff. Gin (especially $3 Gin) is fucking gross. Kudos to Ryan for taking it like a champ.
#16 Posted by TimeWaffle (946 posts) -

well they confirmed it on video in the panel they had at PAX tonight

#17 Posted by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1530 posts) -

From a Conviction write-up on IGN: 

To prove it, he showed a very brief video clip (which we were not allowed to film) of Fisher in action, green-tinted goggles firmly affixed to his head. The clip showed Fisher creeping toward a building across an outdoor area and taking cover behind a crate. Then, the familiar high-pitched whine of the night-vision goggles snapped on, and the scene turned to a washed-out semi-wireframe view. And with that, the clip was over. Just enough for Ubisoft to prove that Fisher still has access to the gadget that helped define the series.

Looks like this should be settled.   

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/102/1021810p1.html    
#18 Posted by Delta_Ass (3274 posts) -

I thought it was pretty obvious Vinny was gonna win. You can't have Splinter Cell without night vision goggles.

#19 Posted by Kazona (3063 posts) -

Listen to the Bombcast a couple episodes back; Ryan made it quite obvious that he's not so sure about the bet anymore. Actually, he's repeatedly made an effort to get Vinny in on a new "double or nothing" bet, because he knows he's going to lose this one.

#20 Posted by Mikemcn (6968 posts) -
@Kazona said:
"Listen to the Bombcast a couple episodes back; Ryan made it quite obvious that he's not so sure about the bet anymore. Actually, he's repeatedly made an effort to get Vinny in on a new "double or nothing" bet, because he knows he's going to lose this one. "

Didn't they also agree to drag out the bet until they play through the game, a few podcasts back?
#21 Posted by Blueblur1 (344 posts) -

I posted this first. :) See last posts in other threads.

#22 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19321 posts) -
@Mikemcn said:
"@Kazona said:
"Listen to the Bombcast a couple episodes back; Ryan made it quite obvious that he's not so sure about the bet anymore. Actually, he's repeatedly made an effort to get Vinny in on a new "double or nothing" bet, because he knows he's going to lose this one. "
Didn't they also agree to drag out the bet until they play through the game, a few podcasts back? "
Yeah, they did.
#23 Posted by warxsnake (2645 posts) -

Um well

The goggles will not work the same way they did before and that means they don't work like classic NVG goggles.

#24 Posted by ZAPBoston (75 posts) -

Vinny wins! Vinny wins!

#25 Posted by Kohe321 (3523 posts) -
@Dethfish77 said:
Agree. Loser has to shot some random bad drink... Make it happen GB!
#26 Edited by FrEeZe (301 posts) -
#27 Posted by Necrothug (39 posts) -

Looks like the matter of the "Sonar Goggles" has been settled. They are clearly called that and you can see the results in action in this video. 

#28 Posted by Snail (8593 posts) -

Wait.. What bet?
#29 Posted by AgentofChaos (1565 posts) -
@Br3adfan said:
" They said on the Bombcast that the bet will be settled once the full retail game is out "
#30 Posted by Necrothug (39 posts) -

I never said the bet was settled, just the matter of the sonar goggles.
#31 Posted by warxsnake (2645 posts) -
@Necrothug said:
" I never said the bet was settled, just the matter of the sonar goggles. "
And that was settled on the bombcast a few weeks before... 
#32 Posted by Ryan (1263 posts) -

I'm not sure how I feel about the potential sonar goggle loophole in this wager. If they end up giving Sam straight-up night-vision goggles at some point, I'll gladly pay Vinny his $50, but if this is how they get around actually giving him NVGs, I probably won't make Vinny pay up.

Probably.

Staff
#33 Posted by Necrothug (39 posts) -
@warxsnake:

Everything I heard on the bombcast was still speculation. Nothing was settled.
#34 Edited by Vinny (1707 posts) -

my guess is d-pad left toggles night-vision | d-pad right toggles sonar (later in the game).

"We've upgraded your goggles Sam"

That or night-vision flashback/intro.

all guesses, but man this is fun.

Staff
#35 Posted by ververdan0226 (1573 posts) -
@Vinny: What if the night vision goggle are on the floor and you have the option to either wear them or not wear them, and it wouldn't be of any detriment to your stealthing experience? What then? Does that count as being in the game?

What if it's an unlockable for the single-player that you can only get through many hours of multiplayer?

What if you wear Modern Warfare 2 night vision goggles while you play Splinter Cell: Conviction?

What if there is a collector's edition that comes with night vision goggles and that's the only way you can get them?

What if they have four lights?

Fuck, I can't think of any more...
#36 Posted by warxsnake (2645 posts) -
@Necrothug said:

" @warxsnake: Everything I heard on the bombcast was still speculation. Nothing was settled. "

On the bombcast a few weeks back during TGS they confirmed, after previous speculation, that the goggles were sonar goggles and not night vision, based on footage of the Tactics Interview from TGS  

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-09-splinter-cell/56981

#37 Posted by Necrothug (39 posts) -
@warxsnake:
My apologies to all, I guess I misunderstood.
#38 Posted by Alex_Murphy (1184 posts) -
@Vinny said:
"That or night-vision flashback/intro."
Does that even count if it's part of a cut scene but not in a part of the game that you actually play?
#39 Posted by DJJoeJoe (1323 posts) -

Changing the night vision to sonar is a logical step that many core gameplay mechanics in other franchises take part in anyways, and the most important part of the whole goggles thing is the 3 lights and possibly the sound, which I won't even try to spell out... 

Pe-uuuuuuuuuuuuuuueeeeee? 

Anyhoo the shift is that your advantage in this game goes from night vision like before to the fast take down stuff you can do when stealthily taking badies out ahead of time. 

Also, the original goggles are heat and night vision so does anyone know if the sonar goggles have a dual function at some point also? 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.