Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tropico 3

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Oct 20, 2009

EL PRESIDENTÉ! In Tropico 3, you play as a dictator on a Caribbean island trying to become as wealthy and successful as possible.

Taking An Island Vacation With Tropico 3

• 52 results
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff

If I ran my own island, I'd run it with an iron fist! 
    Running a Caribbean island through the storm of the Cold War probably ain't easy, but that's your main task in Tropico 3, the upcoming sequel from Kalypso, who acquired the rights to Tropico from Take-Two awhile back. Kalypso has enlisted the development prowess of Bulgaria's own Haemimont Games, and the lot of them are getting together to make Tropico 3 a return to the setting and concepts found in the first game.

That means you'll be in charge of the SimCity-like task of building out a tropical island while balancing things like the happiness and safety of your people with the income your nation generates. You'll have to balance pollution against a desire to move into heavier industries to earn the big bucks. You'll have to decide if you want to develop in such a way that relations with the US improve, or perhaps you'll choose to side with the USSR. Almost every choice comes with its pros and cons, forcing you to constantly weigh things out. Also, your different choices will impact different parts of your citizenship differently. Communists will appreciate some activities that the religious faction might hate, for example. And depending on how you configure your on-island avatar, they may just build up a strong dislike for you.

The game will come with plenty of preset dictator-types that you can choose from, but you can also build your own. Building your character lets you determine its physical appearance, but more importantly, you'll also establish a series of traits that impact your starting statistics. You'll select a background and state how you rose to power. Backgrounds can be things like "booze baron" or "war hero." Your rise to power might be that you were installed by the CIA, or that you're an aging-but-beloved pop singer. You'll also choose qualities and flaws. Having "green thumb" as a quality makes you a bit better at the agriculture side of things, which in turn gains favor with the USSR. Flaws are things like "kleptomaniac" and "pompous." Being pompous means that you can't praise anyone but yourself during your election speeches, which is, well, pretty pompous.

Once you've built your character, you're dropped onto a fairly undeveloped island in January of 1950. From there you'll be able to lay roads, build structures, and generally tinker with the things on the island. You can lower wages on a specific building to save a little money, but its performance will likely suffer. You can build high schools and colleges in an attempt to produce a more-educated workforce, which can, in turn, work at more advanced structures. You can build beautiful gardens to increase the pleasantness of your island. Or you can build guard towers, prisons, and police stations to keep the ever-present rebels in check. Of course, being too oppressive results in more rebels attempting to take you down. And yes, it's possible that you might get taken out, as your character directly appears on the island, just like anyone else.

This island appears to be bustling. 
    It's the dissident-smashing oppressive side of Tropico 3 that speaks to me. Being able to designate a building as a headquarters for your secret police and using them to ensure that faction leaders that aren't likely to vote for you in the next election have an "accident." Or, if you want to be more brazen, you can just order any person to be "eliminated." A soldier will eventually track down the target and open fire. It's a messier solution that leads right back to your cold, calculating hand, so expect the target's family to lose all respect for you as a leader. Hey, maybe you could just take care of them, too.

All of this happens from a fairly standard-looking real-time strategy sort of interface. You'll be able to pan and zoom the camera around the island, letting you get in close to see individual citizens or moving all the way back to get a feel for an entire area. The game is coming to the PC as well as the Xbox 360. We saw the 360 version, which seems to be applying the standard sort of "console version of a game built for mouse and keyboard" approach. It seems totally functional, but I get the feeling that choosy players will want that mouse and keyboard support. All in all, the game seems like it could be really cool on both platforms, with plenty of different ways to rule and a lot of sliders and other things to tweak when initally starting out. But even though you can schedule a papal visit, don't get any funny ideas... you won't be able to assassinate the Pope.

Tropico 3 is currently scheduled for release in September.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff

Running a Caribbean island through the storm of the Cold War probably ain't easy, but that's your main task in Tropico 3, the upcoming sequel from Kalypso, who acquired the rights to Tropico from Take-Two awhile back. Kalypso has enlisted the development prowess of Bulgaria's own Haemimont Games, and the lot of them are getting together to make Tropico 3 a return to the setting and concepts found in the first game.

That means you'll be in charge of the SimCity-like task of building out a tropical island while balancing things like the happiness and safety of your people with the income your nation generates. You'll have to balance pollution against a desire to move into heavier industries to earn the big bucks. You'll have to decide if you want to develop in such a way that relations with the US improve, or perhaps you'll choose to side with the USSR. Almost every choice comes with its pros and cons, forcing you to constantly weigh things out. Also, your different choices will impact different parts of your citizenship differently. Communists will appreciate some activities that the religious faction might hate, for example. And depending on how you configure your on-island avatar, they may just build up a strong dislike for you.

The game will come with plenty of preset dictator-types that you can choose from, but you can also build your own. Building your character lets you determine its physical appearance, but more importantly, you'll also establish a series of traits that impact your starting statistics. You'll select a background and state how you rose to power. Backgrounds can be things like "booze baron" or "war hero." Your rise to power might be that you were installed by the CIA, or that you're an aging-but-beloved pop singer. You'll also choose qualities and flaws. Having "green thumb" as a quality makes you a bit better at the agriculture side of things, which in turn gains favor with the USSR. Flaws are things like "kleptomaniac" and "pompous." Being pompous means that you can't praise anyone but yourself during your election speeches, which is, well, pretty pompous.

Once you've built your character, you're dropped onto a fairly undeveloped island in January of 1950. From there you'll be able to lay roads, build structures, and generally tinker with the things on the island. You can lower wages on a specific building to save a little money, but its performance will likely suffer. You can build high schools and colleges in an attempt to produce a more-educated workforce, which can, in turn, work at more advanced structures. You can build beautiful gardens to increase the pleasantness of your island. Or you can build guard towers, prisons, and police stations to keep the ever-present rebels in check. Of course, being too oppressive results in more rebels attempting to take you down. And yes, it's possible that you might get taken out, as your character directly appears on the island, just like anyone else.

It's the dissident-smashing oppressive side of Tropico 3 that speaks to me. Being able to designate a building as a headquarters for your secret police and using them to ensure that faction leaders that aren't likely to vote for you in the next election have an "accident." Or, if you want to be more brazen, you can just order any person to be "eliminated." A soldier will eventually track down the target and open fire. It's a messier solution that leads right back to your cold, calculating hand, so expect the target's family to lose all respect for you as a leader. Hey, maybe you could just take care of them, too.

All of this happens from a fairly standard-looking real-time strategy sort of interface. You'll be able to pan and zoom the camera around the island, letting you get in close to see individual citizens or moving all the way back to get a feel for an entire area. The game is coming to the PC as well as the Xbox 360. We saw the 360 version, which seems to be applying the standard sort of "console version of a game built for mouse and keyboard" approach. It seems totally functional, but I get the feeling that choosy players will want that mouse and keyboard support. All in all, the game seems like it could be really cool on both platforms, with plenty of different ways to rule and a lot of sliders and other things to tweak when initally starting out. But even though you can schedule a papal visit, don't get any funny ideas... you won't be able to assassinate the Pope.

Tropico 3 is currently scheduled for release in September.
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By rjayb89

Interesting...

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Coltonio7

Seems like "Cuba Tycoon" to me.

RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By RedSox8933

4X is the only kind of real-time strategy game that I enjoy playing. Civilization IV is one of my favorite games of all-time.

I haven't played any of the Tropico games, but I'm going to keep an eye on this one because the setting is awesome.

Avatar image for blood_for_the_blood_god
    Blood_for_the_blood_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Hopefully the CIA wont try to send assassins your way either...

Avatar image for blood_for_the_blood_god
    Blood_for_the_blood_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Coltonio7: what was your first clue? The box art for instance?
    MatthewMeadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By MatthewMeadows

I like the cold war vibe

Slurpelve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Slurpelve

look great,it look like a sim city but in cuba.:P
    deaux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deaux

It sounds very much like the original Tropico.  Apart from having an avatar for your character walking around (which is new) all the other info also describes features of Tropico 1.  What else is new?

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Kohe321

Looks cool!

Sharpshooter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Sharpshooter

OK so no Pope assassination, can we at least hold him hostage to gain some favor with the USSR?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#13  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Fidel Castro: The Official Game of the Dictator? Sign me up!

nick69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By nick69

huh...I might have to play this

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Matfei90

Damn... If I can't assassinate the Pope, how am I meant to solidify myself as a hard-line, anti-religious dictator?

Game sounds interesting though.

ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ververdan0226

Huh...

empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By empfeix

having not played this game since tropico 1 - It will be nice if they just upgrade the graphics and maybe add some more mechanics, I'll gladly play it again if it can do that

erinfizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By erinfizz

I really liked the first one, this is sounding good.

Death_Burnout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By Death_Burnout

Great, now whenever i see this game i immediately think of Ryan. Cus i can i see him

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By buzz_clik

I'm not not interested.

Meliv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Meliv

As a diehard lover of the first Tropico I urge everyone to check this out. Being an evil dickhead is so much fun you won't believe

Your people want an election? Start one then kill the person who runs against you in a populated area. Watch their cries for elections become small whispers

HeavyMental

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HeavyMental

i've been keeping an eye out for this one

but still doubting it might be for me, if it's cheaper than 50$ i might go for it

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#23  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

They're saving that feature for their in-the-works "Pope assassination sim". It includes millions of varied paths for your Pope-assassinating mission. Also there's a secret ending where you don't kill the Pope.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Phished0ne

The Tropico series has been a staple in my household since the original....My dad loves it..i'll probably get it for him as a present.....I've found that its actually really fun to play.  

kwyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kwyee

aww, i was hoping for some Papicide 

sdauz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sdauz

seems to be a better background and setting than the usual sim city game

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MaddProdigy

Tropico is the shiznit. Imma get this cause bein a dictator is too much fun

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MrKlorox

Looking forward to this.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By RHCPfan24

I will buy this for the box art alone.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PureRok
    @Meliv said:
    " As a diehard lover of the first Tropico I urge everyone to check this out. Being an evil dickhead is so much fun you won't believe  Your people want an election? Start one then kill the person who runs against you in a populated area. Watch their cries for elections become small whispers "
    I heard an evil cackle and thunder with a flash of lightning when I read that.
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By crusader8463

I just hope we get to go to war vs the US if we side with the USSR. Burning me some Yankees is always fun ^_^

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#32  Edited By Tordah

I've never played any of the previous Tropico games but I want to now.

singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By singular

The first game was pure awesomeness.
    ExtremeJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ExtremeJesus

Been wanting to get a civilisation style strategy game for a while. The tone of this one and the inclusion of communists might make Tropico 3 the one.

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#36  Edited By ahoodedfigure

Do the different factions have any appreciable differences, or are they just different colored flags?

Can you play both superpowers against each other, or does the middle road just make you an enemy to both?

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae53b407571
    deactivated-60ae53b407571

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find myself looking forward to this game. Looks coozy enough!

Nzwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Nzwei

The first Tropico was the reason for downfall of all my middleschool grades. It would be nice to play something more mellow once in a while ( now back to Dead Space :) ) .

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FrankCanada97

Viva El-Presidente!

bigbobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By bigbobo

Tropico 1 is such an under-appreciated classic. It brang something new to city-building and it brang Humor and wit along. 

As to questions about US and Russia, the reason you would pick one is to appease your citizens who all align to different things. If the majority of your citizens are communist, then it would be smart to align with  Russia.

Uberjannie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Uberjannie

I remember Tropico. Played it a lot. Didnt try Tropico 2 tho.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#42  Edited By citizenkane

You can't assassinate the Pope?  Well there goes my dream.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Media_Master

sounds boring

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#44  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Looking good. Despite totally being my type of game, I managed to miss the first two Tropico's. I'll definitely be checking out Tropico 3 though.

farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By farmer

Seems like it would be very easy for bugs to slip through in a game like this.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Branthog

Civilization Revolution is a quite competent version of Civ IV on console, but I somehow suspect Tropico won't achieve the same level of accomplishment... I'll probably have to cave in and buy it for the PC. It has been so long since I've had a nice game of Tropico...

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Jimbo

Good year for city builders huh?  Anno 1404, Tropico 3, Cities XL and Haemimont's last game, Grand Ages: Rome.

The Kalypso / Haemimont partnership is promising for Tropico 3.  GA: Rome was extremely well made, looked stunning and had great attention to detail.

ethan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ethan

I loved Tropico.  I gave it to my litte sister after I was done.  But I'm pretty sure my step-mother didn't let her play it because she was afraid it would turn her into a communist.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AuthenticM

Totally checking this out.

chrisser665

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By chrisser665

I just wanna assassinate the pope... I can't believe another game comes out where you can't do this... I've been waiting for a game to shoot the pope since Headshots: Papal Edition.  We of the pope-assassinating-community are greatly disappointed.
    ;-P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.