Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Nathan Drake returns to find the lost secret of Marco Polo, in this sequel to the 2007 sleeper hit Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Uncharted 2 - Yatzee's Review

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Jeust

Here is Yatzee's own review of  Uncharted 2: Among Thieves. 

See it...

Do you agree with it? 

I personally find it interesting, as though everything i saw about the game really blew me away, but something kept me from really wanting it. 

And he probably put his finger on the problem. It's most chills and thrills, a popcorn game. It has all the flashy scenes and well done, not all that interesting dialogue, but it hasn't anything really worth remembering, any real meaningful characteristic.  

But i just dabbled with it a little bit.
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By OmegaPirate

Oh im sorry - someone still thinks yahtzee reviews things?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jeust
    @OmegaPirate said:
    " Oh im sorry - someone still thinks yahtzee reviews things? "
    in his own kind of way, yes! :p
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By OmegaPirate
    @Jeust said:  

If by his own way-  
    you mean create a list of things he doesn't like about games and then speed through them talking really quickly with simple animations and snarky comments providing nothing of value other than ammunition for fanboys to throw at each other which is quite ironic considering a lot of the foibles he points out about a game are usually very minor and have no real effect on game play but he felt the need to point out anyway such as the first uncharted review where he decided to shout about there not being enough white people in the game or the fact that his clothing got wet annoyed him or maybe his burnout review where he stated that he hated the fact races reset for you to race them and that the fact there were no people around the city was shit. 

Then yes, he does 
    However as you may have gathered from my yahtzee style review of yahtzee reviews, that carrys very little weight other than for humour/entertainment, and even then after the 2nd or 3rd one your'e kinda done with him
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By thatfrood
    @OmegaPirate: he... kind of does. Just because they differ from the norm... I mean, he's evaluating with a different standard in mind, but nonetheless he is evaluating them.

and as for the review, he himself says that it isn't a bad game. It's very polished and shiny and does what it does well, but it definitely doesn't bring anything new to the table. He's sort of saying, like, as a comparison, even though Transformers 2 had better special effects it still wasn't a fantastic movie.
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#6  Edited By Soap
    @OmegaPirate said:
    " Oh im sorry - someone still thinks yahtzee reviews things? "
    Exactly, this review is just the latest line in his continued career as a professional troll.

I usually don't mind, and I usually find them pretty funny, but this one is just way over the top, especially when you take into account the fact that Uncharted 2 was by far one of the best games of the year. (Probably going to be my personal favourite tbh)
    Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I can't handle how he speaks, Im not good enough with english to get all of it 
    As an excuse, I did learn English from watching TV

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By luce

lol british accents

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#9  Edited By wefwefasdf

He's getting worse. The last couple videos haven't been up to his usual standard.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Still hate this guy, I can't stand listening to him.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By jakob187
    @OmegaPirate: I just read that whole thing with a really fast Welsh voice going in my head... 

...are you actually Yahtzee, Omega?  You did a pretty good job of pulling this ruse off for a while, but I know your secret now!
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Akeldama

if he said the game was good and talked about that for 5 mins, nobody would watch his show. 

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jimbo

I kinda find myself agreeing with everything he said.  It isn't that much better than Uncharted, it doesn't bring anything new to the table and it is a popcorn game - but it is a very, very pretty and well made one.

@ChristOnIce said:

" @Jeust:   Something so thoroughly devoid of significance or meaning should not be held in such a high regard.  "
    Well said, I agree.
    Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By Reuben

lol Some points of the review were really funny though it did go a bit over the top towards the end. Of course he does have a point, it doesn't bring anything new but who cares the game is fun.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I agreed with him about the first game, it borrowed heavily from certain other genre's and simplified them to a point I didn't like.  I thought the game was good, but I wasn't blown away with it, as most people seemed to be.  The combat felt like a clumsy version of Gears of War and the puzzle/platforming element borrowed from Tomb Raider / Prince of Persia was almost non-existant..  I always loved Tomb Raider for the exploration and puzzle solving, and that just wasn't present here.  The adventuring was very linear and the game itself pracitcally tells you how to complete the puzzles.

I still haven't played the second one, so I can't really speak about that, but I get the feeling I'm still going to agree with what he said.
    Still, it's just one review and as always he is very critical.  If you disagree, there's no need to take it personally.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jeust
    @ChristOnIce: 

I agree with what you said, and that was my initial reaction, as it has much bells and whistles, but not that much content.

But that said, if it will be considered the best game of the year, it won't probably be a very good thing.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FunExplosions

That was actually kinda funny. And yeah, I thought it was just my eyes when I noticed Nate's facial hair was green.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By LiquidPrince

Yahtzee does not review things. He comedicaly shits on them.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By captain_clayman
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " Yahtzee does not review things. He comedicaly shits on them. "
    this.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LiquidPrince

So yeah... I just watched it and have come to the ultimate conclusion that Yahtzee may be slightly retarded. I used to chuckle at his stuff, but nothing he has released recently is funny, or... well... Anything really. If you fail at funny, which is all he had going for him in the first place, then you just fail.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By spankingaddict

yeah, his opinion is just awful..........

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jeust

yet he says some true things about the game... 

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Berserker976
    @Jeust: Just because some of the things he said may have been true, that doesn't mean they're valid criticisms of the game. He seems to really like blowing small gripes way out of proportion and ignoring a fair amount of the good points.

I guess that's just the nature of what he does though... seems kind of pointless to me.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I never really agree with Yahtzee's reviews for one reason: He's hypercritical. It's not a bad thing because it's part of what makes Zero Punctuation so entertaining to watch and Yahtzee is undoubtedly aware of this fact. I very much enjoy his videos but for a fair and balanced review I look elsewhere.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#25  Edited By Icemael

The thing with Yahtzee is that while he obviously focuses on the negatives, he never lies. And that's why some people dislike him. They hate him for shitting on games they love but deep down, they know he has a point, and that irritates them to no end. 

I can understand what they feel like, though. Sometimes he'll review a game I really love, and I'll go "Dude, don't be hating my game!". But then, I realize that everything he says is true. The flaws he point out may not bother me, but that doesn't mean they aren't there. 

So this is my message to all the Yahtzee haters: Grow a pair.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26  Edited By buzz_killington

Yahtzee's "reviews" are not funny, AND do not have any journalistic value. He tries to prove his points in some clever ways, but he is almost always exaggerating to a point that you just hate him.

In short, he has not integrity, be it comedic or journalistic.

Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Reuben
    @buzz_killington said:
    "

Yahtzee's "reviews" are not funny, AND do not have any journalistic value. He tries to prove his points in some clever ways, but he is almost always exaggerating to a point that you just hate him.

In short, he has not integrity, be it comedic or journalistic.

"
    He definitely has no integrity when it comes to journalism but some of the things he says are actually funny. It doesn't mean they are necessarily true or at least entirely true about the game but again as you pointed out he's exaggerating and I don't think anyone should really take his reviews seriously anyway. It's all good fun which is why I don't understand why people tend to hate his "reviews".
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ghostiet
    @ChristOnIce said:

" But it's definitely more fun than it is good. "

And for all my life, I thought a good game is a game that is fun!

@Icemael said:

" They hate him for shitting on games they love but deep down, they know he has a point, and that irritates them to no end. "

Great, if I disagree with Yahtzee's "style", consider his videos pointless as they serve little entertaining values (in contrast to most games he shits on, not all, because he's "Yahtzing" crap too) and that his Zero Punctuations are a lot less natural, funny and insightful as the overrated Angry Video Game Nerd videos (and that guy just keeps falling down since that video where he blasted The Naked Gun for weird sequel numeration. The Naked Gun. Pound bricks, I never thought taking those movies dead fucking serious is possible), I am obviously buthurt because he insulted a video game I like. Clearly.

Well,

And yeah, I noticed the "some" in your post. Still, I considered the picture lulzy enough to give it a shot, so no offence, duder. [JOKE TAG] I'm just a fucking troll. [/JOKE TAG] Like Yahtzee.
    tayruh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tayruh
    @Icemael said:
    I can understand what they feel like, though. Sometimes he'll review a game I really love, and I'll go "Dude, don't be hating my game!".
    This is why people hate Yahtzee. It's fanboyism. Personally, I didn't like Uncharted 2. It was pretty, and it wasn't entertaining, but I'm not happy I blew $60 on it. It was a shallow action game, in my opinion. But that's just it; it's my opinion. Whether I like a game or not shouldn't mean jack shit to you. If you are happy with your purchase of Uncharted 2, then I'm honestly happy for you. Nothing another person says should matter at that point.

Reviews "professional" or not ("professional reviews".. that term still cracks me up. As if the personal taste of a someone paid to play games matters more than someone that isn't), are just opinions. You can't take any one review at face value as fact, and definitely not the stupid scoring system. The only way to really use reviews to decide on whether to purchase a game is to read multiple and look at what is common in each. Not personal stuff like "this game is awesome" -- that's not fact. Stuff like "it has poor collision detection" or "sluggish framerate" or "has impressive lighting". That's fact.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Icemael said:
    " The thing with Yahtzee is that while he obviously focuses on the negatives, he never lies. And that's why some people dislike him. They hate him for shitting on games they love but deep down, they know he has a point, and that irritates them to no end. 

I can understand what they feel like, though. Sometimes he'll review a game I really love, and I'll go "Dude, don't be hating my game!". But then, I realize that everything he says is true. The flaws he point out may not bother me, but that doesn't mean they aren't there.  So this is my message to all the Yahtzee haters: Grow a pair. "
    I have one thank you, although I would not consider my self a hater. More like a recent convert into the I do not like him anymore camp. And also no, some of his complaints are lies. Blowing something way out of proportion and exaggerating is not telling the truth, and therefore it is lying. Or it is more lie then truth.
    emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By emkeighcameron
    @Akeldama said:
    " if he said the game was good and talked about that for 5 mins, nobody would watch his show.  "
    Yup.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Icemael
    @LiquidPrince said:
    "I have one thank you, although I would not consider my self a hater. More like a recent convert into the I do not like him anymore camp. And also no, some of his complaints are lies. Blowing something way out of proportion and exaggerating is not telling the truth, and therefore it is lying. Or it is more lie then truth. "
    Exaggeration used for emphasis(and in Yahtzee's case, comedic effect) is called hyperbole. Deviation from the truth intended to deceive is called lying.

Hyperbole =/= lying.
    Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33  Edited By Griddler

Ahh there's no point in watching it, I don't need to hear him hate on one of my favourite games.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Icemael said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    "I have one thank you, although I would not consider my self a hater. More like a recent convert into the I do not like him anymore camp. And also no, some of his complaints are lies. Blowing something way out of proportion and exaggerating is not telling the truth, and therefore it is lying. Or it is more lie then truth. "
    Exaggeration used for emphasis(and in Yahtzee's case, comedic effect) is called hyperbole. Deviation from the truth intended to deceive is called lying. Hyperbole =/= lying. "
    Hyperbole is different then bending the truth and blowing it out of proportion. Saying I can eat a horse because I am hungry is hyperbole. Saying that you get stuck to every surface and can not get unstuck without pressing the opposite direction for an extended period of time is lying.
    taccyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By taccyp

Yahtzee reviews are the shit. I still enjoy games that he destroys, but he often does have a point.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Icemael
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    Exaggeration used for emphasis(and in Yahtzee's case, comedic effect) is called hyperbole. Deviation from the truth intended to deceive is called lying. Hyperbole =/= lying. "
    Hyperbole is different then bending the truth and blowing it out of proportion. Saying I can eat a horse because I am hungry is hyperbole. Saying that you get stuck to every surface and can not get unstuck without pressing the opposite direction for an extended period of time is lying. "
    I dunno about you, but to me, that was a pretty obvious exaggeration.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Icemael said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    " @Icemael said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    Hyperbole is different then bending the truth and blowing it out of proportion. Saying I can eat a horse because I am hungry is hyperbole. Saying that you get stuck to every surface and can not get unstuck without pressing the opposite direction for an extended period of time is lying. "
    I dunno about you, but to me, that was a pretty obvious exaggeration. "
    Just so you know, I am not really going to argue, because what is the point right, but no, that is a lie. It is an exaggeration, but exaggerating beyond a point becomes lies. It is both. Ultimately the point is though, that he is not funny anymore. At least not to me.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Icemael
    @LiquidPrince said:
    "Just so you know, I am not really going to argue, because what is the point right, but no, that is a lie. It is an exaggeration, but exaggerating beyond a point becomes lies. It is both. Ultimately the point is though, that he is not funny anymore. At least not to me."
    An intentionally obvious exaggeration is hardly a lie, but oh well.

I kinda agree with you on the not being funny part, though. His videos will occasionally make me laugh, but they aren't what they used to be.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jeust
    @Berserker976 said:
    " @Jeust: Just because some of the things he said may have been true, that doesn't mean they're valid criticisms of the game. He seems to really like blowing small gripes way out of proportion and ignoring a fair amount of the good points.  I guess that's just the nature of what he does though... seems kind of pointless to me. "
    It isn't if he manages to make people laugh doing it. 

Some are valid critics, others he blows it out of proportions. That the nature of how the does it, like you said.
    Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By Zereta

Yahtzee never fails to give me a laugh but I can never take him seriously after his Halo 3 'review'. 

tastyhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By tastyhouse

Meh...his "reviews" are tired and not as funny as they used to be.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Zereta said:
    " Yahtzee never fails to give me a laugh but I can never take him seriously after his Halo 3 'review'.  "
    I think that's the review I had the biggest problem with too, mainly because he complained about not understanding the story after saying he hadn't played the first two games.  Of course he wasn't going to understand the character motivations, etc.. it's the equivalent of watching Return of the Jedi or Return of the King before the first two Star Wars / Lord of the Rings movies.  You'll pick up things, but the conflict and drama just isn't going to be there.

He also totally ignored the fact that the reason it may have felt so similar to most other FPS'.. is because most other FPS are based on Halo.  Again, probably because he hadn't played the original to notice this.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jeust
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @Zereta said:
    " Yahtzee never fails to give me a laugh but I can never take him seriously after his Halo 3 'review'.  "
    I think that's the review I had the biggest problem with too, mainly because he complained about not understanding the story after saying he hadn't played the first two games.  Of course he wasn't going to understand the character motivations, etc.. it's the equivalent of watching Return of the Jedi or Return of the King before the first two Star Wars / Lord of the Rings movies.  You'll pick up things, but the conflict and drama just isn't going to be there.  He also totally ignored the fact that the reason it may have felt so similar to most other FPS'.. is because most other FPS are based on Halo.  Again, probably because he hadn't played the original to notice this. "
    If i where him i'd dogde that.
    Cub3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44  Edited By Cub3

Yahtzee dosent review.. He lies, exaggerates and put's things out of context to create an entertaining video. Just like the Angry video game nerd and stuff like that. 

Yahtzee's a moron.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jeust
    @Cub3: But he doesn't lie.
    Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
    Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

Man, I really hate Yatzee.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.