Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valkyria Chronicles

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Apr 22, 2008

A turn-based tactics game with real-time elements, that tells the story of Squad 7 as they rally together to fight for the freedom of their country, Gallia.

Retail Woe Unto Valkyria Chronicles

• 174 results
    Swinghi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#151  Edited By Swinghi

Release it on PC then!!!

balthaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#152  Edited By balthaser

Why put the blame on the exclusivity?

With the current adrenalin-pumping, head-rolling and blood-spilling atmosphere dominating main stream players' choice, this kind of games are almost doomed to be niche all over the place. Besides, have anybody spotted any major commercials for this game? I personally yet cross a single one ads of VC in any media. This is the result of a competitive release window in a tough time of the encon crisis.

btw, anybody remember Okami? That game's sales also broke my heart.

AnthraX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By AnthraX

I don't think I would  have released it right now. I think they should have waited till late spring 2009 to release  VC. I have been playing VC  and don't regret the purchase at all. I hope people start buying VC because it is a gem that is worth playing.

5parrowhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#154  Edited By 5parrowhawk

I really, really want to play this game. But I'm not prepared to buy a PS3 for two games (this and LBP). I might pick the game up first to play at a friend's place, though...

balthaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By balthaser

@5parrowhawk

MGS4, Uncharted, VC, LBP, R&C, Folklore, Resistence 1&2, Motorstorm 1&2 and in the upcoming year KZ2+Uncharted +new R&C+GOW3.

This is a list that can well justify my PS3 purchase.

dietmango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

User Lists: 13

#156  Edited By dietmango

Its actually a fun game, and man it must suck to not sell well on the market...

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#157  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Valkyria Chronicles is the game that has pretty much single-handedly convinced me that I need to buy a PS3. It's sad for me to see current PS3 owners out there not showing this game the love that it deserves...so I guess I'm just going to have to buy a PS3 and help it out.

The_Ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By The_Ish

This is such a great game oh my god.

I mean, sure, the story isn't that great and the dialogue leaves something to be desired but the battles are way fun and I often find myself getting the reports which give additional optional story background on the characters and watching all the optional episodes.

I mean it's certainly not the greatest game ever but its such a tragedy to see that so few copies are being sold. Then again, it makes sense, since your releasing a brand new IP on a system no one has during the busiest holiday months in America while there is a recession.

Odds look pretty bad.

Rodomont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By Rodomont

I'm getting into this late, but it's a bit silly to blame this on not making it multi-platform. If they had, it would have been even more of a money-sink. The problem is that either the title is too niche, or that it didn't get marketed to the people who are interested in it.

Also I've been to two shops here in Australia, and they said they were "sold out" of the two copies or whatever that they were given... it seems like this game was judged as dead on arrival by retailers before it even had a chance. This is just one of the myriad reasons why retailers have to disappear.

I wonder how it would go as a PSN downloadable, ala Burnout Paradise. Please do this, Sega!
    SumoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#160  Edited By SumoX
    Mourne said:
    "SumoX said:
    "It's laughable to see people suggest that if this had somehow come to the 360, it would've magically sold far better than it did. The fact is, similar SRPGs on Xbox 360 have performed worse in their first month in the US (Operation Darkness: 3K, Zoids Assault: 8K...."
    Well, let's be honest here--Operation Darkness is a 5th rate game all around. It wasn't the fact that it was an SRPG that it sold poorly--it was the fact that they released a demo that was outright terrible and turned off just about everyone that had even thought about renting it. That game never had a chance in the first place. Zoids, well, they missed that boat by about seven, eight years. I remember seeing that on Cartoon Network many years ago, but as far as I'm aware, it isn't even on television anymore... and likely hasn't been for three or four years.
    My point for bringing up the sales of those games was not to equate them in terms of quality but rather that there's simply no precedent for Sega to release it on the 360, as if that would magically make it a million seller. It wouldn't be. The rest of your post is spot on and very much related to the sales of Vesperia and Eternal Sonata that I brought up- the genre just has a hard time selling in the current market, possibly for several reasons. As such, I don't think a port to the 360 would've made this sell much better (and my prediction was 50K combined).

I've also noticed that reviewers don't seem to know how to handle this one. First, most sites were delayed in actually getting a review up (Giant Bomb, come on). But even if you do read the reviews, they're all full of praise top to bottom, with a few minor quibbles here and there. Then you look at the review score and it'll be an 8 or 8.5; all that praise and THAT's the review score given? People should read reviews instead of just looking at the number, sure, but since most don't, praising the game top to bottom and not giving it a top-tier score is an injustice. It just seems like reviewers are saying, "Well, it's a really good game....but it's a niche genre and most gamers like shooters, so I won't give it a score equal to top-tier shooters." Stupid.

I know that Sega has released some turds since the demise of the DC, but if you have a PS3 on hand, try out the demo. If you like the demo, you'll probably like the rest of the game. I think it's great.
    Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#161  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
    DukeTogo :
    LOL!  Yes. These JRPG games seem to have gotten pretty stale.  Just change the
    theme a little bit & rehash.  I did find an article that shows the game got 77,000
    units sold in Japan:  http://www.edge-online.com/news/valkyria-largely-ignored-us-gamers

It's kind of funny that Operation Darkness, Zoids Assault, & the other one probably
    sold less than the 33k in America.  I think the big problem was marketing. But it
    was probably also rehash. Nobody wants to pay $60 for a game that looks like
    it came from the PS1, or whatever it came from.   Maybe if VC comes out for the
    360, I'll take a look at it, but only at a discounted price.  :-D
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#162  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I bought this when I bought a PS3, but unfortunately, the PS3 didn't work and I just ended up getting a refund.  Kinda wish I'd gone for an exchange instead.

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#163  Edited By BlackWaterCO
    Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By Media_Master

not my kind of game

balthaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By balthaser
    BlackWaterCO said:
    "

Played the demo

Was boring as fuck

Im with Ryan....Im not one for Artsy fartsy BS

I just wanna drive fast, shoot the ever living hell out of it or swing a sword in the blink of an eye and jump 60 feet in the air

"

See, Brad? Here's the standard answer to your question.
    kagekage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By kagekage

i think the main reason is the variety of games out now
    so many good games but this game doesnt appeal to the western audience as much as shooters and all that stuff

DECA555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By DECA555

this is troubling 

i really enjoyed this game 

bornagain888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By bornagain888

Life ain't fair. Bad or average games sell like crazy [ Wii Fit, Carnaval games] , while quality games often time go nowhere.

brydello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#169  Edited By brydello

I just sat down and played through the demo and I absolutely love it.
    I'll be picking up the full game tomorrow for sure. It's like a console version of Advance Wars.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#170  Edited By Jackel2072

just played the demo and really enjoyed it! i think im going to go pick it up.

Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Mercator

Brilliant game, and I am proud to be within that 33,000.

Truthfully its silly not to think if it was multiplatform it would sell better.

Even though I have a PS3 I would be playing this game alot more if it were on 360...I just play my 360 way more and its the perfect game to play while chatting with a buddy.

Johnny5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#172  Edited By Johnny5

The only game that makes me want a PS3.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Johnny5 said:
    "The only game that makes me want a PS3."
    Go for it!

WEGGLES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By WEGGLES

It's absolutely tragic how poorly this is selling.

Lets hope the half off at gamestop will boost sales. This game deserves to be a hit. :[

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#175  Edited By AndrewB

Give me a port to any other console and I'll buy it in an instant.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.