Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Vanquish

Game » consists of 15 releases. Released Oct 19, 2010

Take the fight to evil Russian robots using a rocket-powered self-adapting battlesuit in this innovative third-person shooter from Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikami.

Loved the demo. Anyone else?

• 70 results
    Unlogik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Unlogik

Just finished playing through the demo and it has definitely won me over. Going to go down and pre-order this tomorrow after work. 

A few things I want to see in the final version:
    1. An speed run obstacle course like arena to boost and mess around in. 
    2. More smoking.
    3. Smoking while knee boosting.  

Okay on a serious note though, maybe melee shouldn't drain your entire gauge. 

What do you guys want to see? Or what do you predict?

Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Interfect

A jump button or vault button would be nice. Because there were times when I was standing beside cover I wanted to get over. And I would have to take cover and then more over top of the cover.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

Yeah that demo kicked all sorts of ass. The only thing I would say is they should somehow make it so when you slow down time, you yourself get to move slightly faster. I felt like everything was just slightly too slow. And maybe make it easier to go right into cover from knee-boosting. Although I might just be bad at that.

Yankee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Yankee

I didn't care for the demo at all. I feel like all the elements that are supposed to separate this game from the loads of other 3rd person shooters, like all of the speed stuff, were not implemented so that they were vital to the gameplay. I wound up playing it like I would any other shooter, by hiding behind cover, popping out, and shooting over and over again. Not to mention the whole personality of the main character was kind of terrible. I went in with an open mind and not knowing all too much about this game, but it left me unimpressed. I'll continue to keep an open mind until the reviews hit.

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SpiralStairs

I thought it was cool, but I don't know what the smoking does.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I liked it. I boosted all over the place in slow mo just because it was so fun. I can see myself spending a couple hours of combined time just zooming around playing pretend like a kid. =3

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Damien

I downloaded it, but I haven't played it yet due to DR2: CZ, but I've heard nothing but good things.  I'm excited to try it out.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Daveyo520

I just saw the Video and it looked great.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

I want some sort of customization on the armor, or at least the ability to upgrade it's functionality so it can take more damage/boost longer and the like.  With all of the unlockable content that Bayonetta had, I'd actually be amazed if there weren't a few more sets of armor to get or something.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By TheHT

Yeah I'd definitely like melee to take off something like a third of your energy as opposed to all of it.

Also the evade would feel a lot better if it wasn't just in four directions. If only one thing were to change I hope it's getting some omnidirectional evading.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By Yummylee

I laaaaaaaaved it!! Totally preordering this mutha.

DeadDorf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DeadDorf

Yes, the demo is awesome and Bayonetta was awesome as well. I highly recommend anyone who hasn't played Bayonetta yet go pick it up and do so while you wait for Vanquish.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bones8677

Really liked the demo. It was also kinda hard, with that boss. Man, that thing wasn't messin' around.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By LiquidPrince

I'm not feeling the art style.

Dantekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By Dantekiller

i love the demo i need this game in my life 

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By WickedCestus

I really like it. It's ridiculous. Only problem is I died at the second stage of the boss and checkpointed back at the first. Kinda minor but I thought it was annoying.

fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By fjordson

I loved it, I just hope the main boosting mechanic stays fun throughout the entire game. Doubly so given that the story and characters feel pretty uninteresting, IMO. 

Although, Sam seems like a bad ass.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Yummylee
    @Fjordson said:
    " I loved it, I just hope the main boosting mechanic stays fun throughout the entire game. Doubly so given that the story and characters feel pretty uninteresting, IMO.   Although, Sam seems like a bad ass. "
    And Burns is voiced by Steve Blum. So his characters already a win for me! <3
    fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By fjordson
    @Abyssfull: Shit, seriously? I can't argue with that then. Ever since seeing Cowboy Bebop I've always wanted to hear him in more stuff.
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By sodiumCyclops

I think it's pretty awesome.

The exaggerated sliding and speed is awesome to look at!

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By GunstarRed

Loved the demo a ton, i played through it 3 times in a row which is something I don't tend to do with demos at all. I cannot wait for this game It has jumped to my most wanted game of the year.

I also want to see him boost vertically up a wall onto the ceiling whist smoking and  getting a headshot on a russian robot which is also smoking  in slo-mo. 

I was standing in cover and he threw out the cigarette like some kind of heat decoy, does anyone know if thats what it's purpose is?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NTM

I don't think I've heard Steve Blum in anything great other than when he did Scott Mitchell in G.R.A.W. which he did an awesome job on that. OH! And the game is fun. I liked how the boss didn't dissapoint. This gam though, feels like one that will fail in the story aspect. Which, I think overall for a game like this, needs a good one to make it as good as it can be. You mix this gameplay, with a good story and you have a good enough game.

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bionicicide

I was pleasantly surprised.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jacdg

It was great fun, probably get it when it's cheap and there isn't a steady flow of quality games coming out.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By sickVisionz

I don't usually play shooters but I had a blast with this.  Not as fast paced as I was expecting, but I might be playing it wrong.

Devz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Devz

Finally got around to playing this demo and absolutely loved it can't wait for this game to come out. Also need to go back and check out Bayonetta since i never got around to getting that game even through i remember playing it and loving it.

Unlogik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Unlogik

@Make_Me_Mad  said: 

" I want some sort of customization on the armor, or at least the ability to upgrade it's functionality so it can take more damage/boost longer and the like.  With all of the unlockable content that Bayonetta had, I'd actually be amazed if there weren't a few more sets of armor to get or something. "

I have a feeling it might be customizable, but that also brings up something else I would like — a place to view all my weapon upgrades and maybe choose where to allocate the stats. Although that might get really RPG-ish. 

@Interfect  said: 

" A jump button or vault button would be nice. Because there were times when I was standing beside cover I wanted to get over. And I would have to take cover and then more over top of the cover. "

Yes! It totally need a press "X" to dodge and hold it while running towards cover to vault or something like that. 
    Tortoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Tortoise

Yes, it was excellent, and I'm looking forward to seeing more.
    Bayonetta crossed with Bangai-O.

Unlogik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Unlogik
    @marioncobretti said:
    " Loved the demo a ton, i played through it 3 times in a row which is something I don't tend to do with demos at all. I cannot wait for this game It has jumped to my most wanted game of the year. I also want to see him boost vertically up a wall onto the ceiling whist smoking and  getting a headshot on a russian robot which is also smoking  in slo-mo.  I was standing in cover and he threw out the cigarette like some kind of heat decoy, does anyone know if thats what it's purpose is? "
    I like the way you think! I think there is already vertical knee-boosting confirmed in one of the trailers, but I agree there must be more smoking — especially while killing doods (that are smoking). Haha. 
    SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SteamPunkJin

I was not interested in this game at all - it looked beyond generic, but after playing it? I'm pre-ordering. I loved it.

What it needs is a Survival mode - or what you might call Horde Mode these days - infinite enemies just to see how long you can last - in fact, that's all I want from this game.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BulletproofMonk

I loved loved loved loved loved loved loved loved it.

Nadafinga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#32  Edited By Nadafinga

The voice acting was so god-awful I couldn't even get through the tutorial. Turned it off.

JMartNWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JMartNWA

Felt average to me... didn't feel like it was anything new or anything all that noteworthy.  I was disappointed. 

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By DoctorWelch

I really really liked it. I got a weird Lost Planet meets Mass Effect vibe from the gameplay which is pretty awesome, but DAAAAMN does that game look amazing. The visuals are so nice and sleek its pretty crazy. I also love the cool future tech stuff that is in the game, for instance, how you are holding the same device but switching guns just makes the actual gun like transform. Not to mention how cool the sliding and slow motion stuff is. I really really liked what I saw, and am now excited for a game I never heard of before a few days ago.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MeierTheRed

Demo was kind of fun, nothing out of the ordinary. Pretty much feels like your typical modern day 3rd Person cover based shooter.

Gav47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Gav47
    @SpiralStairs said:
    " I thought it was cool, but I don't know what the smoking does. "
    I makes you cool, duh. 

Had a lot of fun with the rocket slide move, made it really easy to flank guys and move around the level. The auto activating slo-mo was pretty helpful as well. All in all the demo pretty much sold me on that game, I'll probably pick it up around Christmas when I have time to play it.
    Avatar image for warlockengineermoredakka
    WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

It was a pretty darned good demo. :) 

Pros: 

-Sliding around is fun: 
    It controlled quite nicely and is just simply fun to do continuously. :)  
    It's not quite enough to make the game feel completely fresh in the genre- but it fits in well with Vanquish's solid mechanics. 

-Controls are sharp overall: 
    With only one exception covered below, Vanquish's controls felt very sharp- which makes utilizing your mobility a breeze.

-The difficulty felt just right: 
    Some people are saying the demo was quite challenging. I personally didn't find it that hard (I only died once in the demo at the very start of the boss. And it wasn't even the boss who killed me. O_O I foolishly went back to the lower level and got myself surrounded by the lesser enemies), but rather, I really liked how it's difficulty seemed to be nicely balanced. The number of enemies and enemy AI put up enough of a challenge to keep me on my toes and have to use my mobility (and the automatic AR mode several times) to survive.

-The AI seems decent: 
    I'll have to play the demo again to be positive here- but again, the enemy AI seemed more than capable of putting up a fight. It wasn't static either- it'd move around from cover to cover and react to grenades.  
    The only quibble here is that I did notice the enemy AI occassionally get stuck on the corner of a small wall when trying to enter cover- but this only happened once or twice.  

- Looking forward to those imposing bosses: 
    The boss at the end of the demo was pretty entertaining in it's own right. I particularly enjoyed the 1st form's final missile attack before it transforms. :P

Cons: 

-The weapons feel incredibly weak:  
    Easily my main problem with the demo- the weapons lack the feeling of true power. In gameplay terms- they do seem powerful enough, but they most certainly don't sound or feel powerful at all. A definite bummer.

-Cover controls were a tad sluggish at times: 
     An actual jump button may have been better- as the cover controls sometimes seemed to take one or two additional presses to respond when it came to exiting cover. Nothing major though.  

Overall: 

The impression this demo gives me is that Vanquish is going to be a nice high-quality entry in the 3rd-person shooter genre. The boosting doesn't quite make the game feel completely fresh compared to the other 3rd-person shooters it will undoubtedly be compared to- but it still goes a long way in giving Vanquish a solid identity that can help it differentiate itself from the previously mentioned competition.
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By pweidman

I really liked the demo too.  Fast and fun with some great Japanese weirdness tossed in.  Wanna play the full game now for sure.  Anyone know if there's any form of co-op?
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Stylish, however the graphics sort of is jaggish and it looks blurry. I'm not used to this, too bad there isn't a pc demo if they are even going to make the game or not. I enjoy this type of gameplay though, lots of fast action stylish shooting, I like the game. I don't think the gameplay is all the deep though.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By SteamPunkJin
    @pweidman said:
    " I really liked the demo too.  Fast and fun with some great Japanese weirdness tossed in.  Wanna play the full game now for sure.  Anyone know if there's any form of co-op? "
    Single player only.
    WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41  Edited By WalkerTR77

Steve Blum was cemented for me because of him being Guyver 3. They need to sort out some of these names, I believe that the boss was originally called Argos which was changed but Robert Burns? Every time I notice that being his name I get pulled out of the game, but the smoking is badass, very Solid Snake/Don Draper.

paradox121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42  Edited By paradox121
    @DoctorWelch said:
    " I really really liked it. I got a weird Lost Planet meets Mass Effect vibe from the gameplay which is pretty awesome, but DAAAAMN does that game look amazing. The visuals are so nice and sleek its pretty crazy. I also love the cool future tech stuff that is in the game, for instance, how you are holding the same device but switching guns just makes the actual gun like transform. Not to mention how cool the sliding and slow motion stuff is. I really really liked what I saw, and am now excited for a game I never heard of before a few days ago. "
    Yes! I got that too. Definitely the whole slightly sluggish 'heavy' movement and big boss with orange weak spots that spurt goop. And like everyone else I was pleasantly surprised. As ever got that crazy ass Japenese vibe but seems to work well on all fronts. Equally like everyone else says, a jump button would be nice, and while i commend the whole 'one bar for health and special stuff' it does seem a bit odd that when you drain it down and everything slows down you cant skid away just slowly jog to cover.
    DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By DoctorWelch
    @paradox121 said:   

it does seem a bit odd that when you drain it down and everything slows down you cant skid away just slowly jog to cover. "

Are you sure? I am almost certain I skidded to cover the one time I was in slow motion. Maybe it was a manually triggered slow motion.
    paradox121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#44  Edited By paradox121
    @DoctorWelch said:
    " @paradox121 said:      it does seem a bit odd that when you drain it down and everything slows down you cant skid away just slowly jog to cover. "  Are you sure? I am almost certain I skidded to cover the one time I was in slow motion. Maybe it was a manually triggered slow motion. "
    Yea probably. Im talking when your health/energy is knocked out, so you have none to use to skid...if that makes sense. It just seems a perfect time to use the skid to slide away but instead you just jog.
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#45  Edited By natetodamax

For some reason it didn't really do anything for me. Not sure why, just wasn't a fan of it really.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#46  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @natetodamax said:
    " For some reason it didn't really do anything for me. Not sure why, just wasn't a fan of it really. "
    You be cray-zee. 

I thought it was awesome after a minute of getting used to it. The sliding is badass and feels crazy. The smoking is also really funny. Lots of style. Cool beans.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MrKlorox

I dug it. I just wish it had a PC port so I could get it during a Steam sale. I'm so spoiled now.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Yummylee
    @NTM said:
    "

I don't think I've heard Steve Blum in anything great other than when he did Scott Mitchell in G.R.A.W. which he did an awesome job on that. OH! And the game is fun. I liked how the boss didn't dissapoint. This gam though, feels like one that will fail in the story aspect. Which, I think overall for a game like this, needs a good one to make it as good as it can be. You mix this gameplay, with a good story and you have a good enough game.

"
    Most of Blum's characters do ooze out shit flavoured cheese, but he's always done a great job as Wolverine in games/cartoons I think.
    vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#49  Edited By vager

I didn't like it on my first play through, but after my second I loved it. 
    Flip kicking a robot while also shooting at another one in slowmo made my day.

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ISuperGamerI

I haven't played the demo yet (too busy owning in Bad Company 2) but the GB Quick Look seemed like it's a fun game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.