Loved the demo. Anyone else?

  • 70 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Edited by Unlogik (163 posts) -

Just finished playing through the demo and it has definitely won me over. Going to go down and pre-order this tomorrow after work. 
 
A few things I want to see in the final version:
1. An speed run obstacle course like arena to boost and mess around in. 
2. More smoking.
3. Smoking while knee boosting.  

Okay on a serious note though, maybe melee shouldn't drain your entire gauge. 
 
What do you guys want to see? Or what do you predict?

#2 Posted by Interfect (981 posts) -

A jump button or vault button would be nice. Because there were times when I was standing beside cover I wanted to get over. And I would have to take cover and then more over top of the cover.

#3 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

Yeah that demo kicked all sorts of ass. The only thing I would say is they should somehow make it so when you slow down time, you yourself get to move slightly faster. I felt like everything was just slightly too slow. And maybe make it easier to go right into cover from knee-boosting. Although I might just be bad at that.

#4 Posted by Yankee (15 posts) -

I didn't care for the demo at all. I feel like all the elements that are supposed to separate this game from the loads of other 3rd person shooters, like all of the speed stuff, were not implemented so that they were vital to the gameplay. I wound up playing it like I would any other shooter, by hiding behind cover, popping out, and shooting over and over again. Not to mention the whole personality of the main character was kind of terrible. I went in with an open mind and not knowing all too much about this game, but it left me unimpressed. I'll continue to keep an open mind until the reviews hit.

#5 Posted by SpiralStairs (1007 posts) -

I thought it was cool, but I don't know what the smoking does.

#6 Posted by MasterOfPenguins_Zell (2093 posts) -

I liked it. I boosted all over the place in slow mo just because it was so fun. I can see myself spending a couple hours of combined time just zooming around playing pretend like a kid. =3

#7 Posted by Damien (1384 posts) -

I downloaded it, but I haven't played it yet due to DR2: CZ, but I've heard nothing but good things.  I'm excited to try it out.

#8 Posted by Daveyo520 (7000 posts) -

I just saw the Video and it looked great.

#9 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3116 posts) -

I want some sort of customization on the armor, or at least the ability to upgrade it's functionality so it can take more damage/boost longer and the like.  With all of the unlockable content that Bayonetta had, I'd actually be amazed if there weren't a few more sets of armor to get or something.

Online
#10 Posted by TheHT (11786 posts) -

Yeah I'd definitely like melee to take off something like a third of your energy as opposed to all of it.
 
Also the evade would feel a lot better if it wasn't just in four directions. If only one thing were to change I hope it's getting some omnidirectional evading.

#11 Posted by Yummylee (22538 posts) -

I laaaaaaaaved it!! Totally preordering this mutha.

#12 Posted by DeadDorf (388 posts) -

Yes, the demo is awesome and Bayonetta was awesome as well. I highly recommend anyone who hasn't played Bayonetta yet go pick it up and do so while you wait for Vanquish.

#13 Posted by Bones8677 (3278 posts) -

Really liked the demo. It was also kinda hard, with that boss. Man, that thing wasn't messin' around.

#14 Posted by LiquidPrince (16175 posts) -

I'm not feeling the art style.

#15 Posted by Dantekiller (204 posts) -

i love the demo i need this game in my life 

#16 Posted by supermike6 (3642 posts) -

I really like it. It's ridiculous. Only problem is I died at the second stage of the boss and checkpointed back at the first. Kinda minor but I thought it was annoying.

#17 Posted by Fjordson (2432 posts) -

I loved it, I just hope the main boosting mechanic stays fun throughout the entire game. Doubly so given that the story and characters feel pretty uninteresting, IMO. 
 
Although, Sam seems like a bad ass.

#18 Posted by Yummylee (22538 posts) -
@Fjordson said:
" I loved it, I just hope the main boosting mechanic stays fun throughout the entire game. Doubly so given that the story and characters feel pretty uninteresting, IMO.   Although, Sam seems like a bad ass. "
And Burns is voiced by Steve Blum. So his characters already a win for me! <3
#19 Posted by Fjordson (2432 posts) -
@Abyssfull: Shit, seriously? I can't argue with that then. Ever since seeing Cowboy Bebop I've always wanted to hear him in more stuff.
#20 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -

I think it's pretty awesome.
 
The exaggerated sliding and speed is awesome to look at!

#21 Posted by GunstarRed (5462 posts) -

Loved the demo a ton, i played through it 3 times in a row which is something I don't tend to do with demos at all. I cannot wait for this game It has jumped to my most wanted game of the year.
 
I also want to see him boost vertically up a wall onto the ceiling whist smoking and  getting a headshot on a russian robot which is also smoking  in slo-mo. 
 
I was standing in cover and he threw out the cigarette like some kind of heat decoy, does anyone know if thats what it's purpose is?

#22 Posted by NTM (7542 posts) -

I don't think I've heard Steve Blum in anything great other than when he did Scott Mitchell in G.R.A.W. which he did an awesome job on that. OH! And the game is fun. I liked how the boss didn't dissapoint. This gam though, feels like one that will fail in the story aspect. Which, I think overall for a game like this, needs a good one to make it as good as it can be. You mix this gameplay, with a good story and you have a good enough game.

#23 Posted by Bionicicide (1213 posts) -

I was pleasantly surprised.

#24 Posted by JacDG (2130 posts) -

It was great fun, probably get it when it's cheap and there isn't a steady flow of quality games coming out.

#25 Posted by sickVisionz (1268 posts) -

I don't usually play shooters but I had a blast with this.  Not as fast paced as I was expecting, but I might be playing it wrong.

#26 Posted by Devz (10 posts) -

Finally got around to playing this demo and absolutely loved it can't wait for this game to come out. Also need to go back and check out Bayonetta since i never got around to getting that game even through i remember playing it and loving it.

#27 Edited by Unlogik (163 posts) -

@Make_Me_Mad  said: 

" I want some sort of customization on the armor, or at least the ability to upgrade it's functionality so it can take more damage/boost longer and the like.  With all of the unlockable content that Bayonetta had, I'd actually be amazed if there weren't a few more sets of armor to get or something. "

I have a feeling it might be customizable, but that also brings up something else I would like — a place to view all my weapon upgrades and maybe choose where to allocate the stats. Although that might get really RPG-ish. 
 
@Interfect  said: 

" A jump button or vault button would be nice. Because there were times when I was standing beside cover I wanted to get over. And I would have to take cover and then more over top of the cover. "

Yes! It totally need a press "X" to dodge and hold it while running towards cover to vault or something like that. 
#28 Edited by Tortoise (208 posts) -

Yes, it was excellent, and I'm looking forward to seeing more.
Bayonetta crossed with Bangai-O.

#29 Posted by Unlogik (163 posts) -
@marioncobretti said:
" Loved the demo a ton, i played through it 3 times in a row which is something I don't tend to do with demos at all. I cannot wait for this game It has jumped to my most wanted game of the year. I also want to see him boost vertically up a wall onto the ceiling whist smoking and  getting a headshot on a russian robot which is also smoking  in slo-mo.  I was standing in cover and he threw out the cigarette like some kind of heat decoy, does anyone know if thats what it's purpose is? "
I like the way you think! I think there is already vertical knee-boosting confirmed in one of the trailers, but I agree there must be more smoking — especially while killing doods (that are smoking). Haha. 
#30 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -

I was not interested in this game at all - it looked beyond generic, but after playing it? I'm pre-ordering. I loved it.
 
What it needs is a Survival mode - or what you might call Horde Mode these days - infinite enemies just to see how long you can last - in fact, that's all I want from this game.

#31 Posted by BulletproofMonk (2730 posts) -

I loved loved loved loved loved loved loved loved it.

#32 Posted by Nadafinga (959 posts) -

The voice acting was so god-awful I couldn't even get through the tutorial. Turned it off.

#33 Posted by JMartNWA (192 posts) -

Felt average to me... didn't feel like it was anything new or anything all that noteworthy.  I was disappointed. 

#34 Posted by DoctorWelch (2765 posts) -

I really really liked it. I got a weird Lost Planet meets Mass Effect vibe from the gameplay which is pretty awesome, but DAAAAMN does that game look amazing. The visuals are so nice and sleek its pretty crazy. I also love the cool future tech stuff that is in the game, for instance, how you are holding the same device but switching guns just makes the actual gun like transform. Not to mention how cool the sliding and slow motion stuff is. I really really liked what I saw, and am now excited for a game I never heard of before a few days ago.

#35 Posted by MeierTheRed (4941 posts) -

Demo was kind of fun, nothing out of the ordinary. Pretty much feels like your typical modern day 3rd Person cover based shooter.

#36 Posted by Gav47 (1542 posts) -
@SpiralStairs said:
" I thought it was cool, but I don't know what the smoking does. "
I makes you cool, duh. 
 
Had a lot of fun with the rocket slide move, made it really easy to flank guys and move around the level. The auto activating slo-mo was pretty helpful as well. All in all the demo pretty much sold me on that game, I'll probably pick it up around Christmas when I have time to play it.
#37 Posted by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka (428 posts) -

It was a pretty darned good demo. :) 
 
Pros: 
 
-Sliding around is fun: 
It controlled quite nicely and is just simply fun to do continuously. :)  
It's not quite enough to make the game feel completely fresh in the genre- but it fits in well with Vanquish's solid mechanics. 
 
-Controls are sharp overall: 
With only one exception covered below, Vanquish's controls felt very sharp- which makes utilizing your mobility a breeze.
 
-The difficulty felt just right: 
Some people are saying the demo was quite challenging. I personally didn't find it that hard (I only died once in the demo at the very start of the boss. And it wasn't even the boss who killed me. O_O I foolishly went back to the lower level and got myself surrounded by the lesser enemies), but rather, I really liked how it's difficulty seemed to be nicely balanced. The number of enemies and enemy AI put up enough of a challenge to keep me on my toes and have to use my mobility (and the automatic AR mode several times) to survive.
 
-The AI seems decent: 
I'll have to play the demo again to be positive here- but again, the enemy AI seemed more than capable of putting up a fight. It wasn't static either- it'd move around from cover to cover and react to grenades.  
The only quibble here is that I did notice the enemy AI occassionally get stuck on the corner of a small wall when trying to enter cover- but this only happened once or twice.  
 
- Looking forward to those imposing bosses: 
The boss at the end of the demo was pretty entertaining in it's own right. I particularly enjoyed the 1st form's final missile attack before it transforms. :P
 
Cons: 
 
-The weapons feel incredibly weak:  
Easily my main problem with the demo- the weapons lack the feeling of true power. In gameplay terms- they do seem powerful enough, but they most certainly don't sound or feel powerful at all. A definite bummer.
 
-Cover controls were a tad sluggish at times: 
 An actual jump button may have been better- as the cover controls sometimes seemed to take one or two additional presses to respond when it came to exiting cover. Nothing major though.  
 
Overall: 
 
The impression this demo gives me is that Vanquish is going to be a nice high-quality entry in the 3rd-person shooter genre. The boosting doesn't quite make the game feel completely fresh compared to the other 3rd-person shooters it will undoubtedly be compared to- but it still goes a long way in giving Vanquish a solid identity that can help it differentiate itself from the previously mentioned competition.
#38 Posted by pweidman (2362 posts) -

I really liked the demo too.  Fast and fun with some great Japanese weirdness tossed in.  Wanna play the full game now for sure.  Anyone know if there's any form of co-op?
#39 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Stylish, however the graphics sort of is jaggish and it looks blurry. I'm not used to this, too bad there isn't a pc demo if they are even going to make the game or not. I enjoy this type of gameplay though, lots of fast action stylish shooting, I like the game. I don't think the gameplay is all the deep though.

#40 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -
@pweidman said:
" I really liked the demo too.  Fast and fun with some great Japanese weirdness tossed in.  Wanna play the full game now for sure.  Anyone know if there's any form of co-op? "
Single player only.
#41 Posted by WalkerTR77 (1390 posts) -

Steve Blum was cemented for me because of him being Guyver 3. They need to sort out some of these names, I believe that the boss was originally called Argos which was changed but Robert Burns? Every time I notice that being his name I get pulled out of the game, but the smoking is badass, very Solid Snake/Don Draper.

#42 Posted by paradox121 (317 posts) -
@DoctorWelch said:
" I really really liked it. I got a weird Lost Planet meets Mass Effect vibe from the gameplay which is pretty awesome, but DAAAAMN does that game look amazing. The visuals are so nice and sleek its pretty crazy. I also love the cool future tech stuff that is in the game, for instance, how you are holding the same device but switching guns just makes the actual gun like transform. Not to mention how cool the sliding and slow motion stuff is. I really really liked what I saw, and am now excited for a game I never heard of before a few days ago. "
Yes! I got that too. Definitely the whole slightly sluggish 'heavy' movement and big boss with orange weak spots that spurt goop. And like everyone else I was pleasantly surprised. As ever got that crazy ass Japenese vibe but seems to work well on all fronts. Equally like everyone else says, a jump button would be nice, and while i commend the whole 'one bar for health and special stuff' it does seem a bit odd that when you drain it down and everything slows down you cant skid away just slowly jog to cover.
#43 Posted by DoctorWelch (2765 posts) -
@paradox121 said:   
 
 it does seem a bit odd that when you drain it down and everything slows down you cant skid away just slowly jog to cover. "
 
 Are you sure? I am almost certain I skidded to cover the one time I was in slow motion. Maybe it was a manually triggered slow motion.
#44 Posted by paradox121 (317 posts) -
@DoctorWelch said:
" @paradox121 said:      it does seem a bit odd that when you drain it down and everything slows down you cant skid away just slowly jog to cover. "  Are you sure? I am almost certain I skidded to cover the one time I was in slow motion. Maybe it was a manually triggered slow motion. "
Yea probably. Im talking when your health/energy is knocked out, so you have none to use to skid...if that makes sense. It just seems a perfect time to use the skid to slide away but instead you just jog.
#45 Posted by natetodamax (19219 posts) -

For some reason it didn't really do anything for me. Not sure why, just wasn't a fan of it really.

#46 Posted by JJWeatherman (14570 posts) -
@natetodamax said:
" For some reason it didn't really do anything for me. Not sure why, just wasn't a fan of it really. "
You be cray-zee. 
 
I thought it was awesome after a minute of getting used to it. The sliding is badass and feels crazy. The smoking is also really funny. Lots of style. Cool beans.
#47 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

I dug it. I just wish it had a PC port so I could get it during a Steam sale. I'm so spoiled now.

#48 Posted by Yummylee (22538 posts) -
@NTM said:
"

I don't think I've heard Steve Blum in anything great other than when he did Scott Mitchell in G.R.A.W. which he did an awesome job on that. OH! And the game is fun. I liked how the boss didn't dissapoint. This gam though, feels like one that will fail in the story aspect. Which, I think overall for a game like this, needs a good one to make it as good as it can be. You mix this gameplay, with a good story and you have a good enough game.

"
Most of Blum's characters do ooze out shit flavoured cheese, but he's always done a great job as Wolverine in games/cartoons I think.
#49 Posted by Vager (1654 posts) -

I didn't like it on my first play through, but after my second I loved it. 
Flip kicking a robot while also shooting at another one in slowmo made my day.

#50 Posted by ISuperGamerI (1880 posts) -

I haven't played the demo yet (too busy owning in Bad Company 2) but the GB Quick Look seemed like it's a fun game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.