Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Wii games are more innovative than 360/PS3 games

• 71 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for saturnvengeance
    saturnvengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By saturnvengeance

The Wii is the only console that gets innovative and niche games for it released on a regular basis. Sure, a lot of Wii games are shovelware, but the games for it that are good, are often new and innovative, and they experiment with unique new gameplay forms and sometimes even are released for the non-mainstream market. Whereas on the HD consoles the games are often the same thing over and over and over again with little or no unique innovation and no niche markets whatsoever. Sadly though, most of the Wii's innovation comes from Nintendo and their first-party studios. Discuss.

Note: I'm not a Nintendo fanboy, nor do I prefer motion controls over real controllers, in fact, I'd say that while motion controls are good in that they increase humanity's level of technology, but they are bad in that they are a fad and a gimmick.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Bones8677

Playstation 3 has Flower. Screw the Wii.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I enjoy the PS3 exclusives more though the Wii does have some great ones.

Avatar image for thegeniousplayer
    TheGeniousPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TheGeniousPlayer

Trolly troll is trolly.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By trophyhunter
    @Bones8677 said:
    " Playstation 3 has Flower. Screw the Wii. "

audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By audiosnag

When Wii games are good, they're really good. But i don't wanna wait 2 years between great games.

FlyingRat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By FlyingRat

I'm gonna have to disagree, sir.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Jeust

I'm beaten into submission by this thread... I have to agree.  

Although the PS3 and Xbox 360 have their share of innovation, but it's incomparable to the Wii, as the console was built upon innovation. 

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Brians

Ok that is your opinion.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By owl_of_minerva

Wii games aren't necessarily more innovative, but they have high-quality entries in a number of genres that destroy whatever 360/PS3 presently offer. But you're not quite right to say it's only Nintendo that is innovating, there are many unique 3rd-party games.
    I've said it once and I'll say it again, Meowayne's list should dispel all doubt about the quality of games on the Wii, except for those who have limited or bad taste.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kjellm87

WII has some fun games you don't get on the other platforms sure

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Skytylz

Wii probably has the best exclusives ironically, but those are it's only good games.   

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By Claude
    @owl_of_minerva said:
    " Wii games aren't necessarily more innovative, but they have high-quality entries in a number of genres that destroy whatever 360/PS3 presently offer. But you're not quite right to say it's only Nintendo that is innovating, there are many unique 3rd-party games.I've said it once and I'll say it again, Meowayne's list should dispel all doubt about the quality of games on the Wii, except for those who have limited or bad taste. "
    I couldn't have said it better. How does the internet do it?... This.
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @Claude:  I refuse to be ashamed of my Wii!
    davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By davidwitten22

Wait, I thought the Wii only had bowling?

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16  Edited By Geno

Can you describe an example of innovation? Games like Super Mario Galaxy are solid, but I would hardly call them innovative. It's just a string of mini-game type activities (blow this bubble, roll this ball), which Nintendo has been doing since the 90s. Zelda and Metroid are other examples of solid series, but they also pretty much just build on what has been done already. Now that Kinect and Move are out, there's not much that can be done on the Wii that can't be done on the PS3 and 360 either since they are superior technologies. Many of the exclusive indie titles on Wii are fantastic, but last time I checked PS3 and 360 had games like Braid, Limbo and Flower in their indie catalogue, so innovation can hardly be compared there as one being better than the other.

There are also inevitably some games that are on the Wii which aren't on the PS3 and 360 mainly due to licenses, audience choices and hardware constraints, but that doesn't really count as innovation either. Otherwise someone could say that the PS3 and 360 are more innovative over the Wii due to their modern military shooters and realistic racing games, which the Wii lacks for the most part; a non sequitur.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HandsomeDead

Please don't turn this into a legitimate thread.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Claude
    @owl_of_minerva said:
    " @Claude:  I refuse to be ashamed of my Wii! "
    Hell, I love my Wii with its four year head start. But Kinect and Move sure look purdy.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Jeust
    @Geno:  

Now that Kinect and Move are out, there's not much that can be done on the Wii that can't be done on the PS3 and 360 either since they are superior technologies.     

But you have to agree that the Wii was the one that created this segment of the market and created the games and gameplay with which to populated it with. The Wii created its own market, and as such arguably innovated the most.  

And was so much successful that the PS3 and Xbox 360 after years of gestation decided to follow suit. 
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @owl_of_minerva said:
    " Wii games aren't necessarily more innovative, but they have high-quality entries in a number of genres that destroy whatever 360/PS3 presently offer. "
    I'd say that is more of an opinion than an objective fact seeing as how even though the Wii has great exclusives one can enjoy the PS3's, 360's, etc even more.
    damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By damnboyadvance

It has some innovative games, but that's it. What Wii games always lack is a deep story. The story on Wii games always seem put together at the last one. There aren't any games that feature a real story on the Wii.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Geno
    @Jeust said:

" @Geno:  

Now that Kinect and Move are out, there's not much that can be done on the Wii that can't be done on the PS3 and 360 either since they are superior technologies.     

But you have to agree that the Wii was the one that created this segment of the market and created the games and gameplay with which to populated it with. Although arguably the Wii created its own market, and as such innovated the most.  "
    Sure, but most Wii games involving motion control fall under 2 categories:  

1) Waggle 
    2) Could have been done equally well with a conventional controller (simple motion replaces button press)

The first is an annoyance that doesn't effectively relay the effect of controlling something with more natural motion (unless it's a knife). The second is rather redundant. Both of these reasons stemmed from the original motion controller's lack of precision, and arguably extend to this day even with MotionPlus, due to it still lacking in several performance areas. The number of Wii games where motion controls actually make any difference, where it would have been impossible or highly ineffective to have used conventional controls instead and thus delivering a truly innovative experience, is sparse. 
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#23  Edited By FancySoapsMan

who cares about innovation. I just want to play a good game, I don't need fancy new gameplay mechanics to enjoy a game.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @SethPhotopoulos:  I don't mean every game that 360/PS3 offer, that was phrased incorrectly. I meant to say in their respective genres so for ex. Super Mario Galaxy vs. the platform games 360/PS3 have or Silent Hill: Shattered Memories against their non-existent adventure lineups. Granted, this goes both ways as 360/PS3 are superior for shooters and action games, but people often neglect the other side of the argument willfully or for cheap troll lulz.
    stafax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By stafax

Please list off good games on the wii that are innovative to help prove your point.  And I said list some GOOD games.  Just because a game is innovative doesn't mean it's good.  People have argued that Heavy Rain is innovative, but hardly anyone considers it a good game.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @damnboyadvance:  Fragile Dreams, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Broken Sword, Muramasa (a very weird one), etc etc. The first two I've listed are amongst the best in the past couple of years.
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    jtt02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jtt02

You mean the Wii doesn't have good graphics and cant do shooters easily so the good games tend to look innovative and stick out like a sore thumb over the questionable games.  If every game was goldeneye it would be the same as the other consoles.
    Well I sort of get your point.  For example, Fallout: New Vegas, They didn't really have to innovate with that game because everyone liked Fallout 3 so much.  And the only way to innovate with a shooter now, unless you're Valve, is to make it more like an RPG.  What most people are buying are the shooters, sports games, or racing games so that's what most people think when they think 360 and PS3.  On the Wii everyone is playing Galaxy.  There are cool indie games on the 360 and PS3, but the only thing indie people like to do is be innovative in ways that big companies can't.  But those people are on every platform, Dsi, Wii, iPhone, PC, 360, and PS3.  I would not be suprised if someone is coding a ZX Spectrum game as we speak.  The Wii just has more data limits so all the others get it first.  Overall, the reason why not all games are innovative is because we don't want the next shooter game to be released in the year 2015.  The genres that flood the 360 and PS3 tend not to lead to innovation.

Also Nintendo spends a huge amount of money on research and development so their products are years ahead of the competition in terms of innovation.

Well I guess that a Wii game might have a higher percentage chance of being viewed as innovative.

But I can't tell you what you think is innovative. You have to go and decide.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Claude

Nintendo did two things and two things well. Instead of pushing a button, why not throw in some motion. How about some IR? Sounds good. They took old tech and made it rich. My golf games haven't been better. If Move just does a little copy and paste of Tiger Woods for the PS3, oh boy, I'm a happy camper.

If simplicity is innovation, so be it.

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @Geno:  When 3d graphics were first implemented by the PSX they were completely awful, and in fact way worse than what 2d graphics were capable of at the time. Nevertheless, the potential was there to be developed: you're just closing off future potential with highly subjective value-judgments. As for your point, I'd say it's straightforwardly wrong because motion controls have improved and/or innovated in at least a few genres: puzzle, sports, rail shooter, adventure, and casual/party games at least on the Wii. Resident Evil 4 is a standard example of how they can work extremely well for action games, better than a controller even.
    It's not a completely baseless technology along the lines of the Power Glove. It's made an impact, and the tech. will be refined further with Sony and Xbox also adopting it.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NekuSakuraba

PC indie games. 

/Thread.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By teh_pwnzorer

Waggling is not an innovation.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

lol

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MaddProdigy
    @saturnvengeance:  Yo can I ask you why you troll? I've never met a troll face to face, so I've never really had a chance to ask why you do it? Are you lonely and like people responding to you, even if they only do it because you say something provocative? Do you live in a basement? Or are you a fairly regular person, with a day job and loved ones and all that? Do you eat food, or the souls of dead puppies? Answer me please Mr. Troll, I'd be ever so grateful.
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @teh_pwnzorer:  The idea is nothing new, but making it a core element of a platform, its games, and its marketing strategy is. What the hell do you call the co-existence of the Wiimote, Kinect, and Move then? 
    It'd be like dismissing the innovation of anything on the 360/Ps3 because all you do is press buttons.

Edit: Also bemused by the irony of those who happily troll the Wii complaining about the same treatment.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @owl_of_minerva said:
    " @teh_pwnzorer: What the hell do you call the co-existence of the Wiimote, Kinect, and Move then?  "
    An abomination.
    stafax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By stafax
    @SethPhotopoulos: Thanks for a list of scores that no one cares about. Heavy Rain still sucks. No one is replaying that game, no one cares about that game anymore, no one is even talking about that game anymore, that game came and went within a few weeks. And you completely missed my point. My point wasn't weather Heavy Rain is good or not, I was using it as an example that innovation doesn't automatically make a game good.  If it makes you happy, replace "Heavy Rain" with "Mirror's Edge" and you get my point. Another game that was hyped to be something ground breakingly new, yet fell flat on it's face.  And please don't reply with a bunch of review scores for Mirror's Edge because I don't care about review scores, nobody cares for that game.
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @stafax said:
    " @SethPhotopoulos: Thanks for a list of scores that no one cares about. Heavy Rain still sucks. No one is replaying that game, no one cares about that game anymore, no one is even talking about that game anymore, that game came and went within a few weeks. And you completely missed my point. My point wasn't weather Heavy Rain is good or not, I was using it as an example that innovation doesn't automatically make a game good.  If it makes you happy, replace "Heavy Rain" with "Mirror's Edge" and you get my point. Another game that was hyped to be something ground breakingly new, yet fell flat on it's face.  And please don't reply with a bunch of review scores for Mirror's Edge because I don't care about review scores, nobody cares for that game. "
    TO say that because you don't like the game = nobody thinks its good at all is crazy though.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @stafax said:
    " @SethPhotopoulos: Thanks for a list of scores that no one cares about.  "
    Even fewer people care about your opinion
    Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Geno
    @owl_of_minerva said:
    " @Geno:  When 3d graphics were first implemented by the PSX they were completely awful, and in fact way worse than what 2d graphics were capable of at the time. Nevertheless, the potential was there to be developed: you're just closing off future potential with highly subjective value-judgments. As for your point, I'd say it's straightforwardly wrong because motion controls have improved and/or innovated in at least a few genres: puzzle, sports, rail shooter, adventure, and casual/party games at least on the Wii. Resident Evil 4 is a standard example of how they can work extremely well for action games, better than a controller even.It's not a completely baseless technology along the lines of the Power Glove. It's made an impact, and the tech. will be refined further with Sony and Xbox also adopting it. "
    RE4 was first released for the Gamecube, where it won Game of the Year. Then the PS2, where it was highly received as well. It later came to the Wii with the only change being motion controls (even the graphics stayed the same). Motion controls certainly added something to it, but it was deemed perfectly fun and playable before they were implemented. This is demonstrated to this day with millions of people perfectly satisfied with playing shooter games like Call of Duty or pointer-based design games such as LittleBigPlanet with a conventional controller. In addition, the concept of using a cursor to point at things has existed for decades. Pointer technology was present back in the 80s on consoles with Nintendo's own lightgun, and also of course on PCs since forever. It is by no means considered "innovative", and in some cases may even be unfavorable to conventional techniques, such was the case with COD4: Reflex Edition, where the controls were widely criticized. 
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @teh_pwnzorer:  Why, are you afraid they'll edge out the Halo/COD casuals? Anyway, that isn't the point, you didn't answer the question. Is it something innovative or isn't it? It's obvious it is, because there's no equivalent to this moment. Anyways, keep being threatened by something completely unthreatening and irrelevant to you. It's p. funny.
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @Geno:  So, analogously, should we have condemned 3d graphics when they first came out because they were shitty and inimical to 2d graphics, the then-present convention and superior graphical choice?
    jtt02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jtt02
    @stafax:  That's because of it's genre I think.  It's for people that want a one-night-stand type game instead of a marriage like them crazy multiplayer games them young folk play.
    teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @owl_of_minerva said:
    " @teh_pwnzorer:   Anyways, keep being threatened by something completely unthreatening and irrelevant to you. "
    I have recurring nightmares about armies of rabid Wii wagglers faoming at the mouth waggling me to death with their wiimotes and nunchuks
    SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SlightConfuse

all that shovelware is mighty impressive

jtt02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By jtt02

Anyone have a guess for how may comments this thread is going to get before it stops being posted about?  If someone unbiased was trying to come up with this thread just to get replies he/she did a great job.  It's hard to convince everybody to land somewhere in the middle on a subject like this.  Some people have judgmental personality types that assume things about things the have no idea about.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Claude

I wonder if Endless Ocean would work with Kinect. I'm sure it would with Move. I can just imagine it now. I played Dawn of Discovery on the Wii. What does the future hold for RTS games on consoles with motion being the flavor of this generation? The future seems bright.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Geno
    @owl_of_minerva said:
    " @Geno:  So, analogously, should we have condemned 3d graphics when they first came out because they were shitty and inimical to 2d graphics, the then-present convention and superior graphical choice? "
    There were many iterations of 3D graphics before it was fully established as a standard. For instance, some tried to intersperse 2D gameplay with FMV or 3D pre-rendered sequences. Others tried to take 2D sprites and put them in a faux-3D landscape. In the end, after technology had reached a sufficient level and the right design decisions were learned from countless errors and failures, 3D caught on as a reasonable standard. Such was the case with early motion controls on the Wii - it existed, but didn't necessarily prove superior in most cases over conventional controls. Now that superior technology has arrived, and now that developers have hopefully learned from the mistakes of the past, motion controls are a more promising prospect. The point is, just because the Wii had motion controls in 2006 and the PS3 and 360 did not doesn't make it more innovative, as was the common argument at the time. Being able to waggle instead of pressing a button =/= innovation. The innovative or effective usage of motion controls in its games was extremely limited, due mainly to the tech constraints and Nintendo's almost non-existent support for third party developers (which still continues to this day). 
    owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By owl_of_minerva
    @jtt02:  150+ easily, mostly consisting of hurp durp grafix shovelware casual lol noob. @teh_pwnzorer:  Bro, the sooner you deal with your psychological and sexual issues the sooner you can become a refined gentleman partaking in the best of all available games.
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @Claude said:
    " I wonder if Endless Ocean would work with Kinect. I'm sure it would with Move. I can just imagine it now. I played Dawn of Discovery on the Wii. What does the future hold for RTS games on consoles with motion being the flavor of this generation? The future seems bright. "
    Whip select would be infinitely more fun and dangerous.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.