2/3rds through year - your favourite 2014 games so far?

• 126 results
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Let's see... we're deep into the year, aren't we?

1. Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze

2. Wolfenstein

3. South Park

4. Shovel Knight

5. Oddworld

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By jay_ray

So far this year, I can't say I really loved any games. I liked a few but I am very underwhelmed so far. I doubt I could name five games that held my attention.

1. Infamous: Second Son
  2. The Wolf Among Us
  3. South Park: The Stick of Truth

Are the only 3 I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed. (And even those I have some reservations in recommending)

2014 maybe the worst year in recent memory especially if the big fall/winter titles fall flat.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

- Dark Souls 2

- The Walking Dead Season 2

- Ultra Street Fighter 4 (does that count?)

- Ace Attorney Investigations 2 (Well, the translation came out this year)

I spent most of my playing time with older games this year. I checked off a ton of games off my backlog thanks to that.

Jackhole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never heard of Ether One, what's that about?

1. Hearthstone

2. South Park

3. Broken Age

4. Mario Kart 8

5. Titanfall

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By PimblyCharles

Glad to see South Park: Stick of Truth on some lists. That's my GOTY so far.

Does Metro 2033 Redux count since it's a remaster? That's really good, but South Park still is #1 for me.

snoojis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Brain hurts from trying to think of a single game I played that came out this year. I have been far too busy...

1. Dark Souls 2

2. Divinity: Original Sin

3. Watch Dogs

Those are the only game I have played that came out this year so that may speak louder then having games to put in the list.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By awesomeusername

I'm posting on my iPhone so this will probably look messed up. I guess my top 5 would be

1. The Wolf Among Us

2. Transistor

3. Infamous Second Son

4. The Walking Dead Season 2

5. Outlast

Other favorite games include Infamous First Light, The Swapper, Rogue Legacy, & Towerfall Ascension. I play on PS3 and PS4 so that explains the indie ports. Still have to start South Park: The Stick of Truth and buy a couple other games like Valiant Hearts, Child of Light, Wolfenstein, Danganronpa,

PsychoPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PsychoPenguin
  1. Transistor.
slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Divinity and Dark souls 2 have got places on my list so far. Everything else is fluid, although Sword art online hollow fragment might end up on there because of how awesome stupid it is

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#12  Edited By Cirdain
TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

• Assassin's Creed IV
  • Divinity: Original Sin
  • Alan Wake's American Nightmare
  • Watch Dogs
  • Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Ye olde games.

I'd include Remember Me, but I played that after my GOTY 2013 list but before 2014 started.

Snowden42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Shovel Knight

2. Shovel Knight

3. SHOVEL KNIGHT

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#16  Edited By BeachThunder

@jackhole said:

I've never heard of Ether One, what's that about?

It's an adventure game about Alzheimer's. Think Myst and Gone Home.

@cirdain said:
JAZZPUNK FOR GOT
JAZZPUNK FOR GOT

@beachthunder: JAZZPUNK

No Caption Provided

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Banner Saga, Wolf Among Us, Luftrausers, Transistor, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Watch Dogs... Maybe I haven't played enough good games this year.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Here is my work-in-progress top-10 list for 2014.

1. Ultra Street Fighter IV - Second favorite fighting game of all time
  2. Bravely Default - Best job system since FFT and a combat system made for min-maxers to abuse
  3. Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - Amazingly inventive and incredibly fun combat system
  4. The Banner Saga - The parts where it's Nordic Oregon Trail are AMAZING
  5. The Last of Us (Left Behind DLC) - More excellent storytelling from a game that was full of excellent storytelling
  6. Azure Striker Gunvolt - Pitch-perfect controls, interesting scoring mechanics, infinitely replayable
  7. The Walking Dead: Season Two - Let the haters hate, I thought the season was great and fuck Kenny
  8. Broken Age - This will probably end up higher on the list if/when part 2 comes out
  9. Shovel Knight - Incredibly tuned nostalgia bomb
  10. inFamous: Second Son - Still one of the only serieses that can make aiming with the right analog stick fun
impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21  Edited By impartialgecko

I have 10!

1. Wolfenstein

2. LUFTRAUSERS

3. Hohokum

4. Jazzpunk

5. The Last of Us: Left Behind

6. Transistor

7. South Park: The Stick of Truth

8. Dark Souls 2

9. FRACT OSC

10. Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil Edition

I thought it had been a bummer of a year so far but I could easily rattle off 10 games I feel super strongly about. Last year was the same way. Indie games picking up the slack of AAA games, always making sure I have something to play.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

• Divinity: Original Sin
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order
  • Dark Souls II

Yeah, I don't know. This year has been really weak so far. A few solid games, but no real bangers. There are some games I'm looking forward to, but we'll see happens.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Haven't played much from this year in particular, but here's the games I really enjoyed:
inFamous: Second Son

Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends (PS4)

Drakengard 3 (still need to do the very last section, but close enough to the very end to say I like it, even if it's rough around the edges)

Mario Kart 8

Stuff I'm still playing through so can't really say for sure:

Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition (PS4)

Transistor (PS4)

Child of Light (PS4)

Azure Striker: Gunvolt (just bought it)

Stuff I'm picking up later this year:

Destiny (PSN Pre-Order)

Disney Infinity 2.0 (PS4 Collector's Edition)

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax

Persona Q

Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire (Definitely getting Ruby, might pick up Sapphire as well)

Hyrule Warriors (plan to get it, but might have to wait on it)

Dragon Age: Inquisition (maybe, but probably not at launch)

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (I really want to get this after replaying through the first and second game on PC, but I know there's likely to be a GOTY Ediiton later down the road, so I'm conflicted on whether to get it at launch or wait it out)

Super Smash Bros. (likely getting both versions)

(And there's so much more that I want, but know I can't reasonably afford unless I'm lucky and catch some of this stuff on sale)

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

1. RISEN 3 - Freaking amazing game. What a blast to play

2. Divinity original sin - Sorta meh, but the fights are good

Upcoming probably amazing games -

AC unity

Lotr shadow of Mordor

Dragon age inquisition

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NTM

I'm not going to count the games that had come out previously, like The Last of Us or Metro. Something I really liked, and would certainly include on my favorites list of the year, as well as I title I haven't seen anyone mention and think it's worth mentioning, is Valiant Hearts. It's light on replay value, unless you wanted to see it through again, watch someone else play it to see what they think (which doesn't technically mean it has added replay value), or to get the collectibles, but overall I thought it was a really great game.

I've been finding it hard this year to separate what games came out this year since I've played so many games that have come out in the past in which I never played, so by comparison it seems like not very many games have come out, and a lot (though not all) of the ones I have played, which are on my mind, weren't that great to me. There are more games to come though! So, great.

Oh yeah. Okay, so right now, I can think of Second Son, Wolfenstein and Watch Dogs. I wouldn't put Second Son on the list anywhere, though I would probably put the other two on it, even though I wouldn't want to consider them some of the best this year. There were also smaller titles, like Child of Light, though I don't think I'd add that... Hm. I can't really think of a lot. Oh yeah! I really liked Ground Zeroes, though it surely lacked content despite what I felt was an otherwise really high quality game for the most part.

I've played most of the games that have come out on consoles this year, though not many of them, as I've already said would make my list of top five.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Zeik

I had to look over a list of games that came out this year to actually remember what the hell has come out, but not a lot has stood out. I'm pretty sure the game I spent the most time with this year was Warframe on PS4, which seems crazy. Now I'm questioning what the hell I've been doing all year.

Most of the games that have the most potential for being my game of the year are coming out in the next few months though. Nothing else that came out this year had me as hyped as Destiny, Persona 4 Ultimax, Dragon Age: Inquisition, or even Kingdom Hearts 2.5. Well, maybe Dark Souls 2, but I still haven't finished that game.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Wolf Among Us is probably my favorite game so far. I waited till the entire season was over and played it all in 2 sittings and loved the whole thing. Enjoyed it more the Walking Dead season 1. Other 2014 games I've played have been subpar to disappointing so I've been sticking with my backlog for most of the year.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From the top of my head, games released this year.

1. Hearthstone
  2. Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls
  3. Dark Souls 2
  4. Wildstar
  5. Mercenary Kings

Been playing (and enjoying) a lot of 2013 games though.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#29  Edited By GERALTITUDE

Wolfenstein sticks out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cfdb163460c6
deactivated-5cfdb163460c6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Games I've played and enjoyed enough to remember.

• SHOVEL KNIGHT
  • Wolfenstein
  • Jazzpunk
  • Hearthstone

I haven't played Divinity yet but I know I'll love it. Also for some reason I'm excited for Call of Duty 11: Advanced Warfare.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By jacdg

The only new game I've played has been Infamous Second Son, with studying abroad all I've had time for/wanted was NBA 2K with my roommates, and I haven't played any new games since I got home in May..

boboblaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In no order:

1. Dark Souls 2

2. Walking Dead Season 2

3. South Park

4. Mario Kart 8

5. Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition

6. Luftrausers

As for games I'm looking forward to:

Fifa 15

WWE 2K15

AC Unity

Destiny (possibly, mixed feelings during the beta)

There are probably a lot of games I'm forgetting for each side. Will edit this post later with more choices and detailed explanation.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By militantfreudian

I have a very busy semester, so I don't think I'll be buying any new games. That said, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Burial at Sea is the best thing I played -- and most likely will play -- this year. If that doesn't count, then Dark Souls 2, I guess.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed the South Park game, and Wolfenstein was fun but I still need to play more of it. Dark Souls 2 was great, but I kinda burnt out on that.

I also still need to play more of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (PC), but that was fun too.

Oh yeah, Jazzpunk was a thing. Don't think I'll go back to it again, but it was neat. Mostly been playing non-2014 games though.

theacidskull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35  Edited By theacidskull

Wolfenstein- The most fun I've had with an FPS in a while actually. Great game

The Walking Dead Season Two- Brilliant story and characters.

The Wolf Among Us- Bigby is one badass motherfucker. Hope there is a season two.

Lords of Shadow 2- Yeah it had it's problems but I still had fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the year I decided to start keeping track of all the new releases I've played this year, so hopefully that'll make it easy to come up with a top 5(spoiler: It didn't, so I made it top 7. Still not quite as easy as I expected)

1. Wolfenstein: The New Order - I didn't expect much from this, but they nailed everything they were going for and then some. This fucking game, holy shit.
  2. The Wolf Among Us - Telltale took the things I loved about The Walking Dead and put it in a universe that isn't totally lame and played out.
  3. Final Fantasy XIII-3 - I don't give a fuck what anyone else says, Final Fantasy XIII is fucking great and this game is dope as hell. Fuck everybody.
  4. Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy - I don't really have anything to say about this one. I love Layton and this was another one of those.
  5. Valiant Hearts - It looks so good. It doesn't even matter that the story is really good and well-told, I just want to look at it. All the time.
  6. Murdered: Soul Suspect - This game was made for me. I love a good supernatural mystery and this nailed that(right down to the dumb ending that is practically inevitable in ghost stories), I love that the game is laser-focused on the adventure game aspects and keeps the unnecessary combat to a minimum, I love the artstyle and the way the ghostly environments mix with reality, I loved hunting around for all of the collectibles everywhere(which is something I never care about in games). It's short and it has some mechanical issues, but goddamn was it a fun ride.
  7. MGS V: Ground Zeroes - Yes, the story mission is short and exists purely to establish the state of Big Boss in Phantom Pain, but I spent a good 15 hours doing the side stuff in various different ways and had a whole lot of fun doing so.

I also want to give props to Watch_Dogs, which I think gets way more crap than it deserves because internet people couldn't keep their expectations in check.

FidusLingura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This year for me in gaming has been kind of lacklustre. Most of what I have played are indie titles and remakes for games I missed out on first time around. This year so far I think I would have to say

1. South Park

2. Dark souls 2

3. Rogue Legacy (I know it came out last year but I played it first on ps4)

4. Transistor

5 Diablo III ultimate evil edition.

This list will be altered massively by the end of this year. There are some games coming out in the coming months that look set to blow me away personally. But I will have to wait and see

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking through the stack, I have played one game that has come out in 2014, and I haven't finished it yet: Lightning Returns.

Combat's great, but the writing is just plain awful and most of the game consists of running around doing lame fetch quests on a timer.

I also want to give props to Watch_Dogs, which I think gets way more crap than it deserves because internet people couldn't keep their expectations in check.

It's a bit disingenuous to blame "internet people" for having high expectations when Ubisoft themselves were touting this game as the greatest thing since sliced bread for months before release.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Dark Souls 2

2. Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls

3. Weapon Shop de Omasse

4. Bravely Default

Otherwise I haven't actually played a lot of games that came out this year and mostly games from last year (I really want to put Animal Crossing on a list). I'm still waiting for Tomodachi Life to show up and would like to finish FF13-2 before I jump into Lightning Returns.

Avatar image for chumley_marchbanks
chumley_marchbanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

1. Titanfall - The best competitive multiplayer shooter since Call of Duty 4. Although not as popular as it should have been, it has at least done the job of evolving a genre that's been stagnating for half a decade.
  2. Dark Souls II - What do I need to say? It's more Dark Souls with a lot of great (and a few crappy) changes and additions. The DLC has been really good so far as well.
  3. Wolfenstein: The New Order - The biggest and most explosive surprise of the year for me so far. MachineGames did what so few can do these days and made a brilliant singleplayer shooter in 2014, which makes me really excited to see what they do next.
  4. The Walking Dead: Season Two - Not quite as rock solid as the first season, but still a thoroughly enjoyable and emotionally draining (in a good way) experience.
  5. Jazzpunk - Just so incredibly ridiculous.
fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#41  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

This thread reminds me that I don't think I have played a single 2014 release apart from Ace Combat Infinity yet, and I wouldn't count that as a favorite, since their income model is fucked up.

EDIT: I guess I did play Rogue Shooter this year. It's fun, but I wouldn't quite want to list it as a favorite either.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't begun to work out a list, but I'm guessing Dark Souls 2 will end up being my game of the year. I'd like to hope that the likes of Alien: Isolation or P4A: Ultimax will surprise me, but everything is looking to be known quantities.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By Corevi
Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

1. Dark Souls II
2. Hearthstone
3. Jazzpunk

I have played more games than those 3, but I don't feel the need to put any of them on my list. They would be filler picks.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

Haven't played very many 2014 releases. My list of games played this year is 42 games long and only 5 are from this year. I'd rank them:

1. Iccarus Proudbottom's World of Typing
  2. OlliOlli
  3. Dark Souls 2
  4. Rusty's Real Deal Baseball
  5. Metrico

That is not a great list. Metrico probably rates as the 42nd best game I've played this year. I've got the two Persona games from this year preordered so that's probably gonna make things better.

CooVee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By CooVee

- South Park: The Stick of Truth

- Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

- The Wolf Among Us

- Mario Kart 8

- Ace Attorney Investigations: The Prosecutors Path (fan translation)

Those are 2014 games i've played so far that made the biggest impressions on me. Still have to play Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney which should be delivered next week, and i've been hyped for both Hyrule Warriors and Captain Toad Treasure Tracker.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Currently standing at:

1. Mario Kart 8
  2. Dark Souls 2
  3. The Walking Dead: Season 2

I suspect Smash Bros. will wreck through this list once it's out.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1.dark souls 2

2.walking dead season 2

3.south park stick of truth

now diablo 3 ultimate edition is easily my fave game this year,but I don't consider that a new release.i haven't played wolfenstein new order,but I don't think it would stay in my top 3 with the other games coming out.jazzpunk was on my list,but it got kicked out with walking dead season 2 being finished.now by the end of this year I don't expect this list to look like this at all,because I fully expect destiny and dragon age to compete with dark souls 2 not only for GOTY,but for my fave game of all time.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This'll be a short list.

1. Infamous: Second Son - Short and a bit light on story but the fun factor is still there and it looks pretty swell.
  2. Trials Fusion - It consumes you.
  3. Metro Redux - I'll count it as its my first experience of it. So far its been nice and atmospheric although it seems pretty linear which, whilst great in the indoor sections, doesn't really translate well once you hit the great outdoors. Although I'm barely into this.
  4. P.T. - Sure, its a notable little bullet-point of 2014.
Dimi3je

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Dimi3je
  1. Wolfenstein: The New Order
  2. Transistor
  3. South Park: The Stick of Truth
  4. Luftrausers
  5. Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls