Samurai Shodown VI (known in Japan as Samurai Spirits: Tenkaichi Kenkakuden, loosely translated to "Samurai Spirits: The World's Greatest Swordsmen") is a 2D historical-fantasy weapon-based fighting game developed by SNK Playmore and released by SNK Playmore (Sega in North America) for arcades (running Dreamcast-based Atomiswave hardware) on September 14, 2005.
The seventh main installment of the Samurai Shodown series, Samurai Shodown VI is a "dream match" game that brings together all the combatants from the main series into one game. Along with new characters (including American soldier Andrew and Japanese maid Iroha), and a five-button control scheme (with three Slash buttons, a Kick button, and a Dodge buton), this game introduces a "Spirit Select" system, where players can choose from one of six fighting styles, five of which are based on the previous games.
It was later ported to the PlayStation 2 in Japan only on January 26, 2006, adding a variety of new game modes, unlockable characters, and unlockable fighting styles. This version was later digitally re-released for the PlayStation Network on November 19, 2014 (in Japan) and November 22, 2016 (in North America as an import title).
Introduced in SS1
Introduced in SS2
Introduced in SS3
Introduced in SS4
Introduced in SS5
- Yoshitora Tokugawa (has an unlockable alternate EX version in the PS2 version)
- Mina Majikina (has an unlockable alternate EX version in the PS2 version)
- Liu Yunfei (has an unlockable alternate EX version in the PS2 version)
- Kusaregedo (has an unlockable alternate EX version in the PS2 version)
- Sankuro Yorozu
- Yumeji Kurokouchi
- Rasetsumaru (based on Haohmaru's alternate moveset from previous games)
- Rera (based on Nakoruru's alternate moveset from previous games)
- Enja (based on Kazuki's alternate moveset from previous games)
- Suija (based on Sogetsu's alternate moveset from previous games)
- Poppy (exclusive to the PS2 version, unlockable)
- Gaoh (has an alternate Demon form as the game's unplayable final boss)