Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Achievements

Concept »

Achievements are extra challenges added into video games that sometimes carry a point value or unlock bonus material, and are sometimes solely for bragging rights.

What game has the worst achievements?

• 61 results
    dantebk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By dantebk
    Either the hardest to get or the least creative or... well, whatever criteria you want, really.

I nominate Earth Defense Force 2017. It has six achievements, five for completing it on each difficulty setting (and no, they don't cascade) and one for collecting 
    every weapon, which means you have to play the hardest difficulty anyway.

A fun game, but absolutely zero effort went into those stupid achievements.
    elbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By elbow

I heard The Orange Box has some pretty difficult achievements on the 360, but I can only imagine, just looking at the Steam achievements that TF2 got, you get a good idea as to how difficult Valve makes them.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By vidiot

A major problem with the Orange Box has to do with the actual score of the achievements not equaling out to something practical. When I finally labored to get the Portal all Gold achievement (Apature Science) I believe that the score is only about 40g's, pathetic to the amount of time you have to put into that thing. This is of course due to the fact that five games have been squeezed onto a disk and Microsoft wants retail games to cap at 1000.

Defining poor achievements is pretty difficult. Not having cascading achievements is defiantly poor. Certain early 360 games that just unlocked stuff while you played (King Kong.) wasn't exactly smart. While others like Avatar are completely laughable. You really have to hit a good balance of simply playing the game and challenging. I think it's always a poor concept that if your achievement breaks the fundamentals on how a game is supposed to be played. Having that insaneness of grabbing a lawn gnome throughout ep2 is fun for a second playthough, not so much a first. And when it comes to multiplayer: watching ranked lone wolves matches in Halo 3 turn into achievement grinds became bothersome.

Another annoyance is when games have afterthought multiplayer components (The Darkness/Overlord) and then proceed to have achievements that require an insane about of grinding.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By DualReaver

God damn F.E.A.R's achievements were all fucking ridiculous. :@

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

The EA sports 07 games had rock hard achievements. The 06 games had super easy achievements. Although they found the right balance in the 08 games.

Beaudman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Beaudman

I heard that Airbender game's achievements can all be done in about 30 seconds. Kinda goes against the point of achievements, so I'd say that's a pretty bad one.

Andrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Andrew

As Beaudman said, Avatar has the worst achievements as far as making achievements kind of a game with in the game.

If we are going for worst achievements as far as difficulty I would definitely go with
    Call Of Duty 4 - Mile High Club - Very difficult in my opinion.

keoskey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By keoskey
    elbow said:
    "I heard The Orange Box has some pretty difficult achievements on the 360, but I can only imagine, just looking at the Steam achievements that TF2 got, you get a good idea as to how difficult Valve makes them."
    TF2 achievements in TF2 where easy i got all achievements for TF2 on both PC and xbox 360 versions
    Subway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Subway

Exit, that game can fuck off. I also hated Assassin's creed.

logson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By logson

Blue Dragon and the Guitar Heros. Completely stupid.

Shocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Shocker

I hate Guitar Heros achievements.

PrawnToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PrawnToast

As I'm a sad person with no friends, it's a bummer that so many of Rock Band's achievements are focused on completing the World Tour mode.

Way to go Harmonix, thanks for reminding me that I'm a pathetic loser.

:p

irishjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By irishjohn
    DualReaver said:
    "God damn F.E.A.R's achievements were all fucking ridiculous. :@
    "
    Yeah, but I like the idea of really difficult achievements, even if I'll never get some of them.  
    I nominate Prey; it was just way too easy to get a ton of points from playing through that game once.
    KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By KingBroly

Eternal Sonata

HitNRun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By HitNRun

I think poor achievements, in my short experience with the Xbox 360, can be defined as the ones that require a larger investment of time than the game is worth, and ones that give you too many points for just progressing the story/game.

Assassin's Creed is a good example of bad achievements....most of the achievements in that game boiled down to "playing through the story," (which was worth over half) "ran around this incredibly labyrinthine world looking for every last flag and templar for 50 hours if you don't cheat via the Internet," and "made the game suck by forcing yourself to climb up every single last fucking tower before you moved on to assassinations."

The game that came with my system, Hexic, has some shitty achievements I think, like "played 100 games of Hexic." Mostly that's just sour grapes though, since I know I'll never be good enough at the game to get the absolutely insane combos needed to get the other points.

ZimpanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 10

#16  Edited By ZimpanX

Blue Dragon, I have spent around 50 hours in that game and only got 25 points...

BranDong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BranDong

Geometry Wars survive 1,000,000 points is still alluding me!

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By Shawn

Madden NFL 06, a monkey could think of better achievements than those.

HoNgKoNgPh0oEy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By HoNgKoNgPh0oEy
    Shawn said:
    "Madden NFL 06, a monkey could think of better achievements than those."

That and avatar the last airbender, all launch games,
    TDot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TDot

Didn't the first GRAW have achievements like 'Reach number 1 on ranked games' and 'become the best clan' and stuff like that

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By WightnNerdy

Avatar's achievements are ridiculously easy, an I'm not going to play it like an achievement-whore just for an easy 1000 points.

I dislike achievements that are really hard, and give you absolutely no points. Most of the Orange Box achievements are only worth 5, and the hard ones are only worth 20 or 30, yet Avatar's achievements are worth 200+ each.

But I disagree, I think getting achievements for completing the main story of a game is great, it shows people that you've played through the entire game, or haven't finished it. They all should have more points for higher difficulties, but it wouldn't bother me anyways. But I agree that games with achievements ONLY for completing the game are stupid, like King Kong, or TMNT, which I haven't got because I don't want to be thought of as an achievement-whore.
    AttackedCamo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AttackedCamo
    Roger_Klotz said:
    "I think Fight night had some pretty plain achievements. But they were easy as hell to get."

But the achievements were ads! How screwed up is that!
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By suneku

Dead or Alive Xtreme 2... waaay too time consuming. And it's not even fun to try and get the achievements. -_-

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hewkii

at least in reference to Steam achievements, most of the ones from Episode 2 seemed to be unavoidable as you progressed.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guitar Hero 3's and Guitar Hero Aerosmith's. GH3's were very hard, whereas GHA's were insanely easy, leaving very little replay value.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Rowr

GH 3.

Ive finished the game on two difficulties and played a bit of online and i have like 30 points or something.

Seriously, cmon.

AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AaronBelfast

GH3, I gave up. There, I said it.

seanbooker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28  Edited By seanbooker

Ninety-Nine Nights. This is because you need to beat the game at least 7 times, then to level everyone up to full, that's probably at least doubling that number.Oh and getting an A ranking on everything, that will take some time.

seanbooker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By seanbooker
    Rowr said:
    "GH 3.

Ive finished the game on two difficulties and played a bit of online and i have like 30 points or something.

Seriously, cmon.
    "
    I agree.
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30  Edited By kush

It's easily Avatar since they take no skill and take the challenge of achievements away. I also found Madden 08 to be messed up since you could get many achievements by simply simming games.

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DARKIDO07
    DualReaver said:
    "God damn F.E.A.R's achievements were all fucking ridiculous. :@
    "
    F.E.A.R. defiantly you have to beat the campaign without using more than 500 bllets X_X is that even possible? And GRAW's "Top of the World Leaderboard is worth a whooping 25G.
    HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HazBazz

Guitar Hero 3's are very hard and don't give enough points. I've been playing it since Christmas and only have 210 points on it

AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By AndrewGaspar

I don't think hard means they're bad.

Avatar: The Last Airbender - those are lame achievements

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Coltonio7

That GH3 Achievement "Blowin' It" was a a big middle finger to me =/

Avatar image for green_incarnate
    Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By Green_Incarnate

I think they should get rid of online achievements. Co-op achievements are fine, but online multiplayer achievements just force everyone to boost until they become pointless.

Gnat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Gnat

id say the worst achievements are blue dragon those are hard to get and take a long time

Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx

ur mom

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ZenaxPure

Doesn't FFXI on 360 have like achievements to get classes to max level? That seems fairly shitty to me.

Manks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Manks

I agree with GH3.  I've had it since it released and I have a little less than 200 GS from it still. 

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manks said:
    "I agree with GH3.  I've had it since it released and I have a little less than 200 GS from it still. "
    I'll regurgitate this sentiment. 

Firstly, the damned things don't cascade, so it forces you to play the campaigns on each individual difficulty.  Also, the game is really buggy.  If you look hard enough, you can find glitches that unlock a whole slew of achievements.

I hate Neversoft.  I really do. 
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By jakob187

I think that any form of online-based multiplayer achievements are my biggest pet peeve.

A.  Not everyone is good at online multiplayer, so it's bullshit to have achievements in there that a majority of people can't end up unlocking anyways
    B.  If the game has no online community (NBA Street Homecourt, Need For Speed ProStreet, etc), then it causes a bit of a rift in putting achievements in the game.

I liked the way Call of Duty 4 was set up.  There aren't any online achievements, but the ones that are there have you play the game in a different way...make you pay attention to your surroundings more.  I also like Geometry Wars 2, as those are some of the coolest achievements possible.  I still feel like Crackdown had the single best list of achievements out of any 360 game I've played.

Other than that, "worst achievements" can easily be an "eye of the beholder" scenario.  A lot of people think that the Warriors Orochi achievements are stupid and dumb and horrible, but I personally dig those games (for some stupid fucking reason...mostly because I'm a leveling and loot whore), and I had no problem with the achievements that are there.  A lot of people didn't like the achievements in King Kong or Fight Night Round 3, as they were simply having you play through the single player game and that's it.  However, I think that's perfectly fine.  Hell, I think King Kong should be an essential in everyone's catalog, if not just so your friends can borrow it and rack up 1000 real quick.  same with Fight Night Round 3.  The good thing is that neither were shitty games, so it pays off in the end.  Plus, both were launch titles, so no one really knew the lengths that 360 achievements would go to, let alone how popular they would be.  Hell, it's almost become a game in and of itself!!!

So...all that is just me saying "fuck online multiplayer achievements".

If I had to pick one particular game, however, I would say it easily belongs to Armored Core 4.

As far as Assassin's Creed is concerned, I didn't really have a problem with the achievements in that game.  Granted, I come from the old world of gaming where we wanted to explore every inch for those hidden bonuses (and in this case, those hidden bonuses are gamerscore points in the making).  I didn't mind climbing every single tower in the game, because the game looks fucking gorgeous, so it's worth it for me.  Also, there were some really nice achievements in there, like "Blade in the Crowd', where you had to pull off a perfect assassination.  I got that one with the doctor, which was super tough to time right.  So, again..."eye of the beholder".
    Ma7moud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Ma7moud

Dead or Alive 4

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jakob187 said:
    Wall of Text Condemning Online Multiplayer Achievements.
    I agree with this sentiment entirely.  There is a natural discrepancy between players, and certain achievements only work to alienate less talented players from the game's elite. 

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By kush

I also agree with the dislike towards MP achievements. It doesn't add longevity or fun...it just makes online games boring since people are just trying to get achievements.

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DARKIDO07

I really do think Developers should start eliminating Co-Op and Multilayer Achievements (unless the ones in Multi-Player can be gained via bot matches or Single-Player.) One thing I loved about Halo 3 was how I didn't have to play Co-Op campaign to get achievementsm, however if I did it still unlocked them like they would if I was playing by myself. Multi-Player achievements just seem to ruin the game.

TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#46  Edited By TheGamerGeek

I would say Prey,FEAR, or Madden '06.But I want to say something that people haven't mentioned and that would be WWE Smackdown vs. Raw '08's achievements.They were so buggy that when I'd win the GM of the Year Award I'd never get the achievement and also the achievement where you have to chokeslam an opponent onto stairs was incredibly frustrating.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#47  Edited By jakob187
    TheGamerGeek said:
    "I would say Prey,FEAR, or Madden '06.But I want to say something that people haven't mentioned and that would be WWE Smackdown vs. Raw '08's achievements.They were so buggy that when I'd win the GM of the Year Award I'd never get the achievement and also the achievement where you have to chokeslam an opponent onto stairs was incredibly frustrating."
    That's a good one to list also.  I haven't liked the franchise since Here Comes The Pain, though.  =  /
    Soul Calibur IV has some bullshit ridiculous ones...like the walking one?!
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ad2b9eed0cdd
    deactivated-5ad2b9eed0cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 10

Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Psynapse

GH3 is stupid as heck...
    I played GH2 the other day... 1 playthrough on Hard, i have exactly the same amount of gamer points than i do from playing GH3 in easy, medium, hard, co-op and online etc... I started a thread awhile ago about which games have the easiest and Avatar was the easiest game by far with 2 minutes for 1000 gamer points.

The Hardest... i duno... but GH3 would definitely be up there...

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By bjorno

DOA Xtreme 2
    Impossible to get points.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.