Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Achievements

Concept »

Achievements are extra challenges added into video games that sometimes carry a point value or unlock bonus material, and are sometimes solely for bragging rights.

Your Most Wanted Achievements (8/1 - 8/8)

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff

This marks two Fridays in a row now that I've been working from home, which is really just a classy way of saying "writing things about video games while mostly naked." This week, it's so I can finish up G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, a video game that I'm already willing to describe as "dreadful." But hey... maybe the back half of the game is amazing? Possibly? Perhaps? OK, I'll stop setting myself up for disappointment. The repetitive sound of Shipwreck firing his shotgun over and over again seemed like it was going to lead to Vinny snapping my neck, so I'm sparing the office from having to hear any more of it (while probably saving my own life in the process).

Here are the ten achievement lists that attracted the most attention on Giant Bomb over the past week, complete with a new game debuting in the top spot:

Most Maddenest Madden!
    Most Maddenest Madden!

Top Ten Sets (8/1 - 8/8)

1. Madden NFL 10
    2. 'Splosion Man
    3. Marvel vs. Capcom 2
    4. G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
    5. Fallout 3
    6. Prototype
    7. Plants vs. Zombies
    8. Gears of War 2
    9. Ghostbusters: The Video Game
    10. Red Faction: Guerrilla

Yes, that's right. We've got Madden NFL 10 achievements on the site now. The game will hit stores next Friday, 8/14. The achievement list looks... annoying. But maybe that's just me speaking as a non-fan of football who liked the ability to grind out hundreds of points very easily in past installments of the game. Now they want me to tackle specific dudes on specific parts of the field on specific difficulty settings? I'll probably pass on that.

Madden NFL 10 isn't the only new achievement list on the site this week. Our evil robots acquired a ton of games this week, including a lot of alternate-region releases of games that have already shipped here in North America. Yes, that includes the Japanese version of 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand. We've also got a few more games that aren't out here at all, like Bubble Bobble Neo!, which was released on Xbox Live Arcade in Japan this week. Or Ashes Cricket 2009, which is, I'm guessing, a cricket game? To celebrate this obviously momentous occasion, I've added "cricket" to the genre list. Thrilling, I know.

Here's all the new stuff. The games with question marks are alternate versions that don't identify their region in their game name. We'll have to do some old-fashioned research to figure out what region they belong to.

"Konichiwa, bitches!" 

New Sets (8/1 - 8/8)

And, finally, the top ten individual achievements on the site this week, which also starts off with a new debut thanks to the release of the Mothership Zeta add-on. Speaking of which, Ryan wrote a review of Zeta that you might want to check out. 

Zed is for Zeta! 
    Zed is for Zeta! 

Top Ten Individual Achievements (8/1 - 8/8)

1. Fallout 3 - Alien Archivist
    2. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - Avengers Assemble!
    3. 'Splosion Man - Eventual Destruction of a Galaxy
    4. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - Uncanny Heroes
    5. 'Splosion Man - Only Gandhi Would Be Proud
    6. 'Splosion Man - Lay Off the Caffeine
    7. 'Splosion Man - Master of Controls
    8. Red Faction: Guerrilla - Revolutionary
    9. 'Splosion Man - All Hail the Splode King
    10. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - World Warriors

MvC2 and 'Splosion Man are still totally holding it down on that list. I'm guessing that's because most of them don't have descriptions that plainly spell out what the heck you need to do to earn the points, making people more likely to seek them out by name.

OK, it's back to G.I. Joe for me. Next week's release list is painfully short, so I can't imagine we'll see too much of a shift in the rankings. It'll probably just show Madden getting bigger and bigger as its release approaches. Anyone have any other guesses?
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff

This marks two Fridays in a row now that I've been working from home, which is really just a classy way of saying "writing things about video games while mostly naked." This week, it's so I can finish up G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, a video game that I'm already willing to describe as "dreadful." But hey... maybe the back half of the game is amazing? Possibly? Perhaps? OK, I'll stop setting myself up for disappointment. The repetitive sound of Shipwreck firing his shotgun over and over again seemed like it was going to lead to Vinny snapping my neck, so I'm sparing the office from having to hear any more of it (while probably saving my own life in the process).

Here are the ten achievement lists that attracted the most attention on Giant Bomb over the past week, complete with a new game debuting in the top spot:

Most Maddenest Madden!
    Most Maddenest Madden!

Top Ten Sets (8/1 - 8/8)

1. Madden NFL 10
    2. 'Splosion Man
    3. Marvel vs. Capcom 2
    4. G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
    5. Fallout 3
    6. Prototype
    7. Plants vs. Zombies
    8. Gears of War 2
    9. Ghostbusters: The Video Game
    10. Red Faction: Guerrilla

Yes, that's right. We've got Madden NFL 10 achievements on the site now. The game will hit stores next Friday, 8/14. The achievement list looks... annoying. But maybe that's just me speaking as a non-fan of football who liked the ability to grind out hundreds of points very easily in past installments of the game. Now they want me to tackle specific dudes on specific parts of the field on specific difficulty settings? I'll probably pass on that.

Madden NFL 10 isn't the only new achievement list on the site this week. Our evil robots acquired a ton of games this week, including a lot of alternate-region releases of games that have already shipped here in North America. Yes, that includes the Japanese version of 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand. We've also got a few more games that aren't out here at all, like Bubble Bobble Neo!, which was released on Xbox Live Arcade in Japan this week. Or Ashes Cricket 2009, which is, I'm guessing, a cricket game? To celebrate this obviously momentous occasion, I've added "cricket" to the genre list. Thrilling, I know.

Here's all the new stuff. The games with question marks are alternate versions that don't identify their region in their game name. We'll have to do some old-fashioned research to figure out what region they belong to.

"Konichiwa, bitches!" 

New Sets (8/1 - 8/8)

And, finally, the top ten individual achievements on the site this week, which also starts off with a new debut thanks to the release of the Mothership Zeta add-on. Speaking of which, Ryan wrote a review of Zeta that you might want to check out. 

Zed is for Zeta! 
    Zed is for Zeta! 

Top Ten Individual Achievements (8/1 - 8/8)

1. Fallout 3 - Alien Archivist
    2. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - Avengers Assemble!
    3. 'Splosion Man - Eventual Destruction of a Galaxy
    4. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - Uncanny Heroes
    5. 'Splosion Man - Only Gandhi Would Be Proud
    6. 'Splosion Man - Lay Off the Caffeine
    7. 'Splosion Man - Master of Controls
    8. Red Faction: Guerrilla - Revolutionary
    9. 'Splosion Man - All Hail the Splode King
    10. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - World Warriors

MvC2 and 'Splosion Man are still totally holding it down on that list. I'm guessing that's because most of them don't have descriptions that plainly spell out what the heck you need to do to earn the points, making people more likely to seek them out by name.

OK, it's back to G.I. Joe for me. Next week's release list is painfully short, so I can't imagine we'll see too much of a shift in the rankings. It'll probably just show Madden getting bigger and bigger as its release approaches. Anyone have any other guesses?
    natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

Madden? What?

fresh2deafbill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By fresh2deafbill

Madden isn't even out yet

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Scooper

Jeff, I think you and Ryan told us to "Tune in next year"... last year at the Madden 25th Aniversary Launch Party Blast Centre Zone Party Zone. Make with the stupid Madden Video!

ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By ht101

Batman is coming soon so that may see more traffic since it is coming closer to release.  Same goes for Shadow Complex.  We should be getting the list for Brutal Legend soon, shouldn't we?  I am curious to see what that list will look like because they will hopefully get really creative with the names and stuff you have to do to get them.

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By raidingkvatch

How dare you insult cricket?! That's Yorkshire's national sport... Yeah cricket sucks, but then so does baseball so it's not really an English thing

TheGamerGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By TheGamerGeek

No, it's not you. The Madden achievements look terrible.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By RHCPfan24

The achievement list for Madden looks pretty bad indeed. But I want to see you guys do another Madden video again! The last one was extremely funny and had a lot of Luchadeer.

Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Metroid545

Madden? Really? HOW

KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KillaMaStA

I could see Madden holding it down for the next 2 weeks unless something crazy happens like Modern warfare 2 achievments leaking.

Mega20XX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Mega20XX

Where are the cheevies for Madballs in Babo Invasion? I want the Hero achievement dammit. So close....

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By jakob187

We seriously need to make Testikill from John Woo's Stranglehold the #1 achievement on the list...just because...

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14  Edited By Suicrat
    @raidingkvatch: At least baseball has a scoring system that doesn't take a poem to explain.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MrKlorox

Nice. I want Bubble Bobble Neo here in the States. I wasn't even aware of its existence. I'm sure it'll make it across the Pacific... it's not like there's much story in Bubble Bobble to localize.

edit: i was wrong about bf1943. Looks like people stopped buying it.

Jumpify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jumpify
    @Suicrat: Crikets isn't hard you hit the ball and run between the wickets 1 point for everytime you make it between them, if you hit it out of the ground instead of a 'Home Run' you get 4 points 6 points if you do it on the full. That wasn't a single rhyme in there. Congratulations now your enlightened.
    Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17  Edited By Suicrat
    @Jumpify: I know about runs. But I don't get wickets or overs. How come when BBC World News shows cricket scores, a team with a higher number will win one game, but the team with the lower score will win other times. THAT I don't get.
    KillaMaStA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By KillaMaStA

I added all Cricket games to the cricket genre.

There are like 15 cricket games, crazy.

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Aaron_G

Madden already? It must be getting close to school. 

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Keyser_Soze

I don't get the point of these articles? It's basically telling us a history of what users looked for in the past week? What use is it to anyone?

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Bigandtasty

Yo Fiddy, ヒットは、大きなお尻のランプ!

TheFridgeGC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TheFridgeGC

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO ASHES CRICKET...am i the only one excited? maybe that's cause i'm Australian and absolutely love cricket. WOOOOOOOOOOO

HHAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By HHAP

Don't be hatin on cricket!  lol

Jumpify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jumpify
    @Suicrat: Cricket matches are like 2 innings of Baseball but you get 10 outs instead of 3 (I think 3 dont get baseball) one team does there first innings then they switches and the other team does theres, An over goes for 6 balls (imperial system) then the bowler (or pitcher) has to switch. The only reason I can see that one team would win with a lower score would be that both of there innings added together might equal a higher score. The other thing about cricket is that after 5 days they just call it a draw that might have been what happened as well. :P
    Themanohall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Themanohall

Woah, Plants vs. Zombies is still up there?

Smersh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By Smersh
    @KillaMaStA:  That's cause cricket is the greatest sport in the world ;)
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
    @Keyser_Soze said:

" I don't get the point of these articles? It's basically telling us a history of what users looked for in the past week? What use is it to anyone? "

It's interesting to see what achievements are popular.

Anyway, I'm pleased to see a cricket genre  being created, cricket is a fantastic sport.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#29  Edited By LordAndrew

New genres are always fun. I spent many hours making sure all block-breaking games are documented on Giant Bomb.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.